NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-03-2024, 12:25 PM

Default Mickey Mantle Type 1 Photo Question

I just found this in an old picture frame of mine. Is this a type 1 photo? I did some research and it seems like they all have the publisher’s stamp on the back. It seems like Mickey Mantle Type 1’s sell for a lot of money. Thanks.

If it is a Type 1, what is the approximate value once slabbed by PSA?

Old 02-03-2024, 12:38 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Looks like Type 1 to me, and is a GREAT photo. Heck, I'd buy it just for Doris Day... forget those two other guys!

Will leave the value to someone else... Prices of these photos are all over the board, and much depends on who sees it at the time of auction, and who wants it the most. Could go for $300 or could go for $3,000, depending on timing and other intangibles.

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos

Last edited by perezfan; 02-03-2024 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-03-2024, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Looks like Type 1 to me, and is a GREAT photo. Heck, I'd buy it just for Doris Day... forget those two other guys!

Will leave the value to someone else... Prices of these photos are all over the board, and much depends on who sees it at the time of auction, and who wants it the most. Could go for $300 or could go for $3,000, depending on timing and other intangibles.
Thank you! This is very exciting! How many type 1 photos are usually issued?
Old 02-03-2024, 02:10 PM

Think this is from the movie "That Touch of Mink", from 1962. You could try to date the UPI stamp and see if its from that time period. I would guess so.

Plenty of other photo experts on here who would know more.

And there's no number of Type 1 photos issued. A Type 1 is just a designation given to a first gen photograph developed from an original negative during the period - within approx 2 years:

https://www.psacard.com/services/pho...%20was%20taken).
Old 02-03-2024, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksons View Post
Think this is from the movie "That Touch of Mink", from 1962. You could try to date the UPI stamp and see if its from that time period. I would guess so.

Plenty of other photo experts on here who would know more.

And there's no number of Type 1 photos issued. A Type 1 is just a designation given to a first gen photograph developed from an original negative during the period - within approx 2 years:

https://www.psacard.com/services/pho...%20was%20taken).
Maybe a dumb question, but how do I date the time stamp? Should it just say the date on the stamp?
Old 02-03-2024, 02:39 PM

The bottom half of the stamp is blurred but the top half appears to be a UPI 1962-1970 stamp variation (United Press Main office - NYC).

Difficult to confirm entirely. I don't see a boxed stroke or outline on your stamp. Much of it is faded. If you still had the slug attached (paper caption) hen you'd know the whole story.

Anyway, I'm using A Portrait of Baseball Photography book by Marshall Fogel and Henry Yee as a reference. Really, the only reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsandweezer View Post
Maybe a dumb question, but how do I date the time stamp? Should it just say the date on the stamp?
Old 02-03-2024, 02:44 PM

Quote:
The bottom half of the stamp is blurred but the top half appears to be a UPI 1962-1970 stamp variation (United Press Main office - NYC).

Difficult to confirm entirely. I don't see a boxed stroke or outline on your stamp. Much of it is faded. If you still had the slug attached (paper caption) hen you'd know the whole story.

Anyway, I'm using A Portrait of Baseball Photography book by Marshall Fogel and Henry Yee as a reference. Really, the only reference.
Yeah I see what you are saying about the box. It seems to be extremely faded. I will have to send it to PSA to get authenticated. I have also seen PSA authenticated slabbed ones with no box around it.

Last edited by metsandweezer; 02-03-2024 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-03-2024, 03:57 PM
Mic.hael Mu.mby

Default Type I

This photo is the real deal.

Mad Magazine ran this photo back in the sixties with a gag caption. Maris was saying,"How do you spell Doris?"
Old 02-03-2024, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjack View Post
This photo is the real deal.

Mad Magazine ran this photo back in the sixties with a gag caption. Maris was saying,"How do you spell Doris?"
So pumped! Any idea on value once slabbed and authenticated by PSA? Thanks for your insight.
Old 02-03-2024, 05:36 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Quite a few different photos with Mantle, Maris and Day Exist (all 1961 or 1962). The price range is anywhere from $27 for a wire photo up to nearly $500. I would value yours at the upper number.

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale

Last edited by Lucas00; 02-03-2024 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-03-2024, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas00 View Post
Quite a few different photos with Mantle, Maris and Day Exist (all 1961 or 1962). The price range is anywhere from $27 for a wire photo up to nearly $500. I would value yours at the upper number.
Thank you. Where did you see the comps at? I could not find any with Doris Day.
Old 02-03-2024, 06:15 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Quote:
Thank you. Where did you see the comps at? I could not find any with Doris Day.
RMY Auctions.

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale
Old 02-03-2024, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas00 View Post
RMY Auctions.
Amazing. The similar one is not slabbed and does not even look like a type 1. Looks like it was cut out of a newspaper?
Old 02-03-2024, 06:59 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Quote:
Amazing. The similar one is not slabbed and does not even look like a type 1. Looks like it was cut out of a newspaper?
It's a type 3. Photo prices are really hard to pinpoint, to say yours would be worth a massive amount more would be a stretch. You only need 2 people wanting a photo for a crazy price. However unlike cards, those 2 people are much harder to find.

The spread the photo could bring is huge, I wouldn't be surprised if it did $200 however I also wouldn't be surprised if it did $750.

Old 04-07-2024, 11:35 PM

Officially came back as a Type 1 I have no idea on the value for it still.

Old 04-08-2024, 07:57 AM

Congrats - figured it would end up with that designation. The stampings tell the story. Value is ultimately assigned by the buyer. A similar photo autographed by both Mantle and Day sold for $500 in Heritage in 2021, if that helps.
Quote:
Officially came back as a Type 1 I have no idea on the value for it still.

Old 04-08-2024, 09:27 AM
Jeff Lazarus

Type I photos generally get a significant premium over Type III, though the market on any photos is highly variable, so working of a single datapoint (such as one old sale) would be difficult.

RMY has one type III of your photo that sold in 2020 for $450. It's one datapoint, but RMY has a few photos with Mantle and Day, and the close-up one (like you have) is clearly the nicest. Other, less appealing photos with Mantle and Day (and others) which were Type I photos went for less, so I do believe it was the draw of the image. Those sales were also in 2020 and the photo market is more expensive today than it was then.

My guess is that in auction it goes for at least $1000, though as others have noted, it is hard to predict photo values.
Old 04-09-2024, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Congrats - figured it would end up with that designation. The stampings tell the story. Value is ultimately assigned by the buyer. A similar photo autographed by both Mantle and Day sold for $500 in Heritage in 2021, if that helps.
Do you have a link? It does not appear like the autograph version was a type 1.

Last edited by metsandweezer; 04-09-2024 at 11:12 AM.