NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-13-2008, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Default Longest active dealer

Posted By: David Davis

With the unfortunate passing of Larry Fritsch, the number of active pioneers in the hobby has again been lowered. Who has been around dealing the longest? Gar Miller is still selling cards, and I recently found Bruce Yako on eBay. He is still selling a few cards, so I will count him as well. Any others that have been selling for 40+ years?

Old 01-13-2008, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

Both Pat Quinn and Jack Smalling have been selling memorabilia longer than Larry did.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Maybe Gar Miller? I think he's been around since dinasours were puppies... (very nice gentleman too....)

Old 01-13-2008, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scgaynor

Is he still alive? As of a few years ago he was. I have had items stamped that they were sold by him back in the 1930's.

Scott

Old 01-14-2008, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Scott,

Gar has been around for ages, but certainly not that long! I believe he started dealing in the 1960's. The items you had were probably sold by someone else way back in the 1930's, then passed through Gar's hands at a later time.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: TONY

Goody Goldfaden preceded Larry Fritsch by a mile

I found a coin magazine from 1939 & while perusing I was reading the classifieds to see what people what buying back then & what they were paying

Lo & behold I see a Buy ad from Goody advertising to buy sports memorabila etc with his address in Cleveland where lived before he moved to So Cal.

But I haven't heard his name mentioned in ages & does anyone if he is still involved in the hobby or a good chance he's retired

Any info would be appreciated

Also In my mind Goody is A real hobby pioneer but I rarely hear his name mentioned.
Sit down & talk to him his a real hobby treat as his vast knowledge of the hobby went back so far

My best Goody story was way back when (you can figure out by the price he was asking)
when at a local monthly card show in Fountain Valley, Ca
Goody approached me & Mike Berkus & asked us what we were looking for
Mike asked Goody "what do you have?"

Goody as he was famous for just reached into his shirt pocket & pulled out two
1952 Topps (NOT his rookie for u novices) & showed them to us
They were probably nice ex/mt examples
Mike glanced at both & asked "how much?"
Goody quoted a price of $75 & Mike asked if he could do better
Goody that $75 was his price
Mike pulled out $75 & paid him & left
Goody then turned to me & asked if I wanted to buy the other card
& I replied I'd never paid that much for any card & wasn't about to do it today either
One of my early dumb mistakes we all made

Old 01-14-2008, 08:53 AM
Administrator

How about Doug Averitt? He's been around for many years as well.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Speaking of dealers from a bygone era, does anyone know whatever became of Conrad Anderson or the majority of his 750,000 item autograph inventory? I've handled quite a bit of stuff that originated with Anderson, but there HAS to be a treasure trove of material gathering dust somewhere.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Andrew S.

As far as I know, Goldfadden is still alive and living in Van Nuys, CA. He is nearly 100 years old. Doug Averitt has been involved in sports memorabilia since the late 60s.
Wasn't Conrad Anderson's inventory bought out by H.K. Shigley many years ago?

Old 01-14-2008, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Tony G.- I think you left a key word out of your story. You said Goody reached into his pocket and pulled out 2 1952 Topps. Should the name "Mantle" have been in that sentence? Just guessing.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Sounds like Goody should be Paul's next phone interview!

Old 01-14-2008, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scgaynor

Hi Jodi.

Goldfadden was the person that I was asking about.

He was famous for rubber stamping programs and publications when he sold them with the date that they were sold and his own personal little "ad". I guess me must have been really big in Rose Bowl programs as I see them stamped all of the time. Luckily I don't that he ever stamped cards, at least I have never seen one.

Scott

Old 01-15-2008, 07:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I believe that Goody (I think it was him) was introduced to me by Bill Mastro about 4-5 years ago at the National. I had my full set of Western Playground cards (have since been sold) and Bill brought him over to show them to him. He was a very nice gentleman.....You could tell he was one of the "old guard"....regards

Old 01-19-2008, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Smith

Goody Goldfadden. I have never met him but my Mentor in baseball cards has.

Late last Summer, my Mentor came back to Indiana and I helped him clean out a storage shed. In the shed was mostly newer cards and junk. However, there were also some of his stuff he had kept over the years. A couple of items were from Goldfadden. One was an original want list of items, another was a list of items he had for sale and their prices and the third was an invoice showing what my Mentor sold to Goldfadden (mostly Bowman cards from the late 1940's and early 1950's) and for how much. These were all either from the late 1950's or early 1960's.

These were interesting to see because my Mentor answered an ad in a magazine that Goldfadden had placed. They only met in person years later but by then had done many deals, over the phone and then through the mail.

David