NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on Ebay
Babe Ruth Cards
t206 Ty Cobb
Ty Cobb Cards
Lou Gehrig Cards
Baseball T201-T217
Baseball E90-E107
T205 Cards
Vintage Baseball Postcards
Goudey Cards
Vintage Baseball Memorabilia
Baseball Exhibit Cards
Baseball Strip Cards
Baseball Baking Cards
Sporting News Cards
Play Ball Cards
Joe DiMaggio Cards
Mickey Mantle Cards
Bowman 1951-1955
Football Cards

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-09-2021, 03:18 PM
Eric72's Avatar
Eric72 Eric72 is offline
Eric Perry
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Philadelphia Suburbs
Posts: 2,378
Default OT: PM with offers

I've seen a growing number of similar BST threads lately. Quite a few of them contain cards that pique my interest. However, they don't have asking prices. To paraphrase all these threads:

"I have the following item. Trying to (insert excuse) so I'm listing it here. PM me with offers."

If you're selling something, don't ask others to price your inventory for you. That's lazy.

If you're trying to connect with the highest bidder, grow a pair and put your item up for auction.

If you're trying to squeeze every last dime out of people every time you make a sale, go sell used cars for a living.
__________________
Eric Perry

Currently collecting:
T206 (116/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (181/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra

Last edited by Eric72; 05-09-2021 at 03:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-09-2021, 03:24 PM
Johnny630 Johnny630 is offline
Johnny MaZilli
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,894
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
I've seen a growing number of similar BST threads lately. Quite a few of them contain cards that pique my interest. However, they don't have asking prices. To paraphrase all these threads:

"I have the following item. Trying to (insert excuse) so I'm listing it here. PM me with offers."

If you're selling something, don't ask others to price your inventory for you. That's lazy.

If you're trying to connect with the highest bidder, grow a pair and put your item up for auction.

If you're trying to squeeze every last dime out of people every time you make a sale, go sell used cars for a living.

You know why cause they’re afraid of missing the boat..... they see these ridiculous sale numbers in certain Auction houses so they think shit I can sell mine for that...while in the back of their head they know it’s most likely some shady crap going on but they say oh well here let’s try net54 lest amount of risk with chance...most of the time they’re fooling themselves ....
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-09-2021, 03:27 PM
Eric72's Avatar
Eric72 Eric72 is offline
Eric Perry
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Philadelphia Suburbs
Posts: 2,378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
You know why cause they’re afraid of missing the boat..... they see these ridiculous sale numbers in certain Auction houses so they think shit I can sell mine for that...while in the back of their head they know it’s most likely some shady crap going on but they say oh well here let’s try net54 lest amount of risk with chance...most of the time they’re fooling themselves ....
The boat sailed in February. They've missed it. The market has been dipping since then.
__________________
Eric Perry

Currently collecting:
T206 (116/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (181/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-09-2021, 03:28 PM
Fred's Avatar
Fred Fred is offline
Fred
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,027
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
I've seen a growing number of similar BST threads lately. Quite a few of them contain cards that pique my interest. However, they don't have asking prices. To paraphrase all these threads:

"I have the following item. Trying to (insert excuse) so I'm listing it here. PM me with offers."

If you're selling something, don't ask others to price your inventory for you. That's lazy.

If you're trying to connect with the highest bidder, grow a pair and put your item up for auction.

If you're trying to squeeze every last dime out of people every time you make a sale, go sell used cars for a living.


__________________
doh, doh, doh, doh....
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-09-2021, 03:35 PM
Johnny630 Johnny630 is offline
Johnny MaZilli
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,894
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
The boat sailed in February. They've missed it. The market has been dipping since then.
Exactly I like your style you know why because you speak the truth !

Jan-March Many Sales In Certain Auctions we’re We’re Fantasy
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-09-2021, 03:46 PM
FrankWakefield FrankWakefield is offline
Frank Wakefield
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Franklin KY
Posts: 2,163
Default

and to add a like to the end of that list of the original post:


If you don't want to make an offer when a seller asks for offers, then keep your powder dry and don't take them to task by telling them how to sell.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-09-2021, 04:15 PM
Jcosta19's Avatar
Jcosta19 Jcosta19 is offline
Justin
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 422
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
I've seen a growing number of similar BST threads lately. Quite a few of them contain cards that pique my interest. However, they don't have asking prices. To paraphrase all these threads:

"I have the following item. Trying to (insert excuse) so I'm listing it here. PM me with offers."

If you're selling something, don't ask others to price your inventory for you. That's lazy.

If you're trying to connect with the highest bidder, grow a pair and put your item up for auction.

If you're trying to squeeze every last dime out of people every time you make a sale, go sell used cars for a living.
Literally millions of ebay listing have a super high price with "or best offer." I dont see this as different.

If you want a card make just make a fair offer. Personally I have had much more luck doing so here on net54 than on ebay.

Some people like to haggle (myself included) back and forth a bit.
Lots of us are not dealer. If you don't like that type of transaction just avoid them.

I'd rather see these listings than the ones with firm prices trying to set record prices. And I bet if you search BST you will find far more of the latter.




Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-09-2021, 04:16 PM
MattyC's Avatar
MattyC MattyC is offline
Matt
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 2,201
Default

I've seen this "phenomenon" around the hobby lately myself. Imagine going into a store to buy, say, a pair of jeans. You don't see a price tag. You ask the sales clerk, "Excuse me, what's the price on these jeans?" Their response: "What do you think they're worth? Make an offer."

I think it's an extreme form of fishing. It's one thing for a collector to be willing to sell a piece only if the price is anomalously high. It's another in my opinion to not even set a price. I think it is incumbent upon a seller to put a price tag on an item, no matter how high. Just one buyer's opinion and an owner is free to do whatever they like. I just find it coy and move along.

Last edited by MattyC; 05-09-2021 at 04:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-09-2021, 04:26 PM
EldoEsq's Avatar
EldoEsq EldoEsq is offline
D@vid L@dd
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: NY
Posts: 178
Default

Other forums require a price.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-09-2021, 04:30 PM
Casey2296's Avatar
Casey2296 Casey2296 is online now
Is Mudville so bad?
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: West Coast
Posts: 1,782
Default

I love this place and the BST, If you post a card I want without an ask I'll just PM you and start a conversation. Same on the other side, I'll always post a price but would expect someone interested to PM me and talk about a deal. I know what I want to pay within reason, I also know where my line is that I would rather put it back in my collection. I've also done deals that had nothing to do with the original for sale item just from talking about collecting needs & wants. Its also nice to keep an eye out for cards that you know other members are looking for that you might come across in the outside world.

It's all good stuff and a lot of fun. Especially when you make new friendships & connections in this hobby.

And to quote a seller that is no longer here just so he is never forgotten.

"Thanks for the many inquires, still available..."
__________________
Phil Lewis
.
Original circulation E98 Master set 117/120, Lord help me...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-09-2021, 04:41 PM
Republicaninmass Republicaninmass is offline
T3d $h3rm@n
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,704
Default

I think they hope someone posts


"I'll take it"



Oddly, Then they'll have sellers remorse
__________________
"Trolling Ebay right now" ©

NEED THE FOLLOWING 1952 topps

G TO VG-EX

(TONS TO TRADE, HIGHS LOWS, VARIATIONS, ERRORS)


322 jackson
328 borkowski
345 white
347 adcock
354 Hatfield
386 yuhas
399 fridley
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-09-2021, 04:45 PM
egri's Avatar
egri egri is offline
Sco.tt Mar.cus
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 1,065
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
And to quote a seller that is no longer here just so he is never forgotten.

"Thanks for the many inquires, still available..."
Does that mean you'll periodically bump this thread for the next several years with no resolution, or do you want me to?
__________________
Signed 1953 Topps set: 261/274 (95.25 %)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-09-2021, 04:45 PM
bbnut bbnut is offline
Chris Rudd
member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 107
Default

I see some of you are okay with the "PM me" side. I'm curious how receptive you would be if that happened at a card show where the dealer didn't have prices showing on their card and asked you for an offer. It really is the same thing.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited by bbnut; 05-09-2021 at 04:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-09-2021, 05:01 PM
Eric72's Avatar
Eric72 Eric72 is offline
Eric Perry
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Philadelphia Suburbs
Posts: 2,378
Default

Edited:

Sorry, I had the wrong former board member in mind.
__________________
Eric Perry

Currently collecting:
T206 (116/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (181/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra

Last edited by Eric72; 05-09-2021 at 07:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-09-2021, 05:13 PM
yanksfan09's Avatar
yanksfan09 yanksfan09 is offline
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 1,762
Default

I agree that I like to see prices and that most of the time it’s the way to go. However I collect a lot of very rare stuff that many times there is 0 or close to it in the way of comparable sales to point to and guesstimate price/value. For really rare stuff sometimes the seller genuinely has no idea how to price or guess value and want to see what people will offer.

I’m also of the opinion that less rules in general is better and I like the freedom and lack of overreach from Leon! It may be annoying to see a listing with no price but we can always ignore them. Also if a price were required and there were more rules in general it would likely decrease the amount of listings we get to see offered here as some sellers would just go elsewhere. I’d rather let the free market dictate things and see as many offerings here as possible.
__________________
Er1ck.L. ---D381 seeker http://www.flickr.com/photos/30236659@N04/sets/

Last edited by yanksfan09; 05-09-2021 at 05:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-09-2021, 05:20 PM
Republicaninmass Republicaninmass is offline
T3d $h3rm@n
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,704
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnut View Post
I see some of you are okay with the "PM me" side. I'm curious how receptive you would be if that happened at a card show where the dealer didn't have prices showing on their card and asked you for an offer. It really is the same thing.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Bugs the heck outta me!


I guess if you have to ask, you cant afford it
__________________
"Trolling Ebay right now" ©

NEED THE FOLLOWING 1952 topps

G TO VG-EX

(TONS TO TRADE, HIGHS LOWS, VARIATIONS, ERRORS)


322 jackson
328 borkowski
345 white
347 adcock
354 Hatfield
386 yuhas
399 fridley
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-09-2021, 05:27 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 23,130
Default

I think I have priced everything I have listed here, but if someone doesn't want to why should it bother me? I can always make an offer and either it leads to a successful negotiation or it doesn't.

I do think people will do better with a price, but it is up to them.
__________________
My avatar is a sketch by my son who is an art school graduate. Some of his sketches and paintings are at
https://www.jamesspaethartwork.com/

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-09-2021 at 05:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-09-2021, 05:48 PM
obcbobd obcbobd is offline
Bob Donaldson
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Woburn, MA
Posts: 868
Default

I just move on to the next listing. Same as at a show where I've learned that it is not worth the bother to ask for a price, wait for the dealer to look it up in a price guide and quote me a NM price on a VG/EX card; much more than what I was willing to pay.

But to each their own..
__________________
My wantlist http://www.oldbaseball.com/wantlists...tag=bdonaldson
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-09-2021, 05:52 PM
hcv123 hcv123 is offline
Howard Chasser
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 2,711
Default my 2 cents

I think some of that has been a function of how nuts the market has been. As a seller, before the craziness, I used to price all my cards and list them on Flickr. During the craziness, I removed the prices on some of the high demand graded cards - I would still quote a price to an interested buyer, but that price at times over the past few months sometimes had daily fluctuation. Almost all the time I post on the BST , I price the cards I am offering, occasionally in the case of some rarities I have offered "best offer above xx$$ by a certain day and time".

From the buy-side, I understand the frustration and dislike of the practice, but as mentioned in a previous post - if I don't like it, I just move on.
__________________
I have been a Net 54 member since 2009 and have an Ebay store since 1998 https://www.ebay.com/usr/favorite_things

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-09-2021, 05:56 PM
bbnut bbnut is offline
Chris Rudd
member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
I think some of that has been a function of how nuts the market has been. As a seller, before the craziness, I used to price all my cards and list them on Flickr. During the craziness, I removed the prices on some of the high demand graded cards - I would still quote a price to an interested buyer, but that price at times over the past few months sometimes had daily fluctuation. Almost all the time I post on the BST , I price the cards I am offering, occasionally in the case of some rarities I have offered "best offer above xx$$ by a certain day and time".



From the buy-side, I understand the frustration and dislike of the practice, but as mentioned in a previous post - if I don't like it, I just move on.
That's okay. At some restaurants the price is "Market Rate." But that should be an exception to the rule for a truly hot card.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-09-2021, 06:02 PM
Casey2296's Avatar
Casey2296 Casey2296 is online now
Is Mudville so bad?
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: West Coast
Posts: 1,782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksfan09 View Post
I agree that I like to see prices and that most of the time it’s the way to go. However I collect a lot of very rare stuff that many times there is 0 or close to it in the way of comparable sales to point to and guesstimate price/value. For really rare stuff sometimes the seller genuinely has no idea how to price or guess value and want to see what people will offer.

I’m also of the opinion that less rules in general is better and I like the freedom and lack of overreach from Leon! It may be annoying to see a listing with no price but we can always ignore them. Also if a price were required and there were more rules in general it would likely decrease the amount of listings we get to see offered here as some sellers would just go elsewhere. I’d rather let the free market dictate things and see as many offerings here as possible.
You make a good point Erick,
If we are talking about fairly common cards like 50's Topps for example I would expect an asking price to be published, if your talking about a super rare T206 back for example I would expect a more subtle transaction to take place where it may be a few conversations before a deal is struck.
__________________
Phil Lewis
.
Original circulation E98 Master set 117/120, Lord help me...
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-09-2021, 06:02 PM
Mark17's Avatar
Mark17 Mark17 is offline
M@rk S@tterstr0m
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,037
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
And to quote a seller that is no longer here just so he is never forgotten.

"Thanks for the many inquires, still available..."
LOL. For some reason an image of Hans Peter Wagner came to mind......

I'm sure there must've been many inquiries in the 20 or so years that portrait was listed. I think it was bumped more times than Honus had hits.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-09-2021, 06:36 PM
egri's Avatar
egri egri is offline
Sco.tt Mar.cus
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 1,065
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
LOL. For some reason an image of Hans Peter Wagner came to mind......

I'm sure there must've been many inquiries in the 20 or so years that portrait was listed. I think it was bumped more times than Honus had hits.
That thread has just over 25,000 views, and Wagner had 3,420 career hits. That’s over a 7:1 ratio of views to hits. At around the 5:1 Mark is where I would’ve said consign the thing, but to each his own.
__________________
Signed 1953 Topps set: 261/274 (95.25 %)
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-10-2021, 12:03 AM
perezfan's Avatar
perezfan perezfan is offline
M@RK ST€!NBERG
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by egri View Post
That thread has just over 25,000 views, and Wagner had 3,420 career hits. That’s over a 7:1 ratio of views to hits. At around the 5:1 Mark is where I would’ve said consign the thing, but to each his own.
I wanted to say that about a dozen times as well. But thought I had previously heard some forum rule against posting negative statements in peoples' BST listings. So decided to just grin, bear it and say nothing.

Maybe we'll see old Honus in a real auction some day!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-10-2021, 12:45 AM
Stampsfan's Avatar
Stampsfan Stampsfan is offline
Bob Davies
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,005
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcbobd View Post
I just move on to the next listing. Same as at a show where I've learned that it is not worth the bother to ask for a price, wait for the dealer to look it up in a price guide and quote me a NM price on a VG/EX card; much more than what I was willing to pay.

But to each their own..
Whoa... I'm having a deja vu moment here. I am with you, I typically bypass tables (and BST posts) without a price. I have a huge wantlist so there is always something else to spend my money on.
__________________
Successful transactions on Net54 with greenmonster66; Peter_Spaeth; robw1959; Stetson_1883; boxcar18; Blackie
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-10-2021, 05:36 AM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is offline
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 30,537
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
I wanted to say that about a dozen times as well. But thought I had previously heard some forum rule against posting negative statements in peoples' BST listings. So decided to just grin, bear it and say nothing.

Maybe we'll see old Honus in a real auction some day!
There are almost no rules in the BST areas, however, we don't want members making any comments in those threads unless they are nice in nature. The fewer rules the better. Caveat Emptor and always PM me or another moderator with anything that looks suspicious or out of line.

One of my fave BST pickups several years ago..

__________________
Leon Luckey

Last edited by Leon; 05-10-2021 at 08:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-10-2021, 06:52 AM
bobbyw8469's Avatar
bobbyw8469 bobbyw8469 is offline
Robert Williams
member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 7,425
Default

I am afraid the card bubble has burst a little bit. I wonder is some sellers realize that.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-10-2021, 07:28 AM
rats60's Avatar
rats60 rats60 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,538
Default

This is almost as irritating as the people who run buy ads followed by PM your best price. If you are initiating a buy or sell ad, you need to have a price and not wasting my time.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-10-2021, 08:39 AM
forceplay sport forceplay sport is offline
And.y Ell.is
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 475
Default

I understand the rules, but I also don't think its unreasonable to put an asking price on a card your selling. When a person asks to make an offer, I always feel
like they are looking for the highest offer, and that's fine. I just don't know if this person is playing games, for all I know, I made the only offer, but keep telling me someone else went higher than me. I'm not saying that this happens, but I have NO way of knowing. I just don't bother with these posts and its not just here its lots of places. Just my 2 cents.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-10-2021, 09:04 AM
Jim65's Avatar
Jim65 Jim65 is offline
Jam.es Braci.liano
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,761
Default

Some sellers will ask for offers and claim they don't know the value of the item but when you make an offer that might be on the low side, they suddenly know exactly what the item is worth and can quote past sales prices.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 05-10-2021, 09:06 AM
frankbmd's Avatar
frankbmd frankbmd is offline
Fr@nk Burke++
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Between the 1st tee and the 19th hole
Posts: 6,421
Default If you are not a haggler

How To Sell on BST Without Wasting Your Time

Price your item too low (by at least 50% is recommended)

Wait 2 minutes

If you don’t have five “I’ll take it”s, your price is too high.
__________________
FRANK:BUR:KETT - RAUCOUS SPORTS CARD FORUM MEMBER AND MONSTER NUMBER FATHER.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION


PSA - The obstetrician of baseball card grading. Guaranteed delivery in 9 months, more or less, after the goose laid the Goldin egg.

374/1000 Monster Number

Over*850* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-21.
Over 650 sales with satisfied Board members served.
Thank you all.



Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 05-10-2021 at 09:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 05-10-2021, 10:05 AM
Snapolit1's Avatar
Snapolit1 Snapolit1 is offline
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,074
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
Some sellers will ask for offers and claim they don't know the value of the item but when you make an offer that might be on the low side, they suddenly know exactly what the item is worth and can quote past sales prices.
Ha, was going to post same thing. It's just a game as others have mentioned. Basically saying "It's probably worth $1200, but it you want to offer me $3000, who am I to say no."

I know eBay has the same process in place to make an offer, but I don't waste any more time on any such listings on BST. Never go anywhere. If you want to sell something name your price.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 05-10-2021, 10:19 AM
mrreality68's Avatar
mrreality68 mrreality68 is offline
Jeffrey Kuhr
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim65 View Post
some sellers will ask for offers and claim they don't know the value of the item but when you make an offer that might be on the low side, they suddenly know exactly what the item is worth and can quote past sales prices.
very true....
__________________
Thanks all

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Kuhr@mac.com

Looking for
Babe Ruth Cards (Pre 1925) Especially The Ruth Throwing Pose
Joe Jackson Cards (With emphasis on 1916 Advertising Backs)
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1914 E & S Publishing Card Joe Jackson
other Joe Jackson playing day cards
1914 CJ Christy Christopher Mathewson
T206 Eddie Plank
1911 M110 Sporting Life Cobb and Wagner Cards
1908 Rose Postcard Ty Cobb
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 05-10-2021, 10:42 AM
MikeGarcia MikeGarcia is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,466
Default I don't see it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I am afraid the card bubble has burst a little bit. I wonder is some sellers realize that.

..Maybe for pre-war only ? ...I was watching two '57 Brooks Robinson low end fillers' auctions , a PSA 2 and a PSA 3.5 and they both wound up way over $400......it's getting curiouser and curiouser out there.....I wonder if that $1400 from Dee Cee has something to do with the temporary insanity.....you can't go near any '50's HOF players right now......I'm even thinking of putting together a few dozen '50's Topps PSA 6's , 7's , and 8's to be consigned to that feller out in Oregon to be in on and part of the feeding frenzy , ....even commons in a PSA holder are just going up like rockets........it cannot possibly last , can it ?.......OMG the Dow just hit 35.....sheesh...

..
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 05-10-2021, 03:33 PM
Harliduck's Avatar
Harliduck Harliduck is offline
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Marysville, Wa
Posts: 982
Default

I honestly don't care what sellers do...but as 99% a buyer here, if there is no price, it's not for sale, from my point of view. I know the values of the cards I'm interested in and the last thing I want to do is offend someone who is looking for more than fair value...which to me saying "make me an offer" is the goal.


I have noticed our BST...of which I LOVE and am a regular buyer...has more and more offered items well above Ebay...when I first joined here there were many more "good deals". No fees, no taxes. Anyway, I have only had one deal here that went "south" (condition no where near described) and I just let it go as it wasn't that big of a deal...everything else has been outstanding. The fact Leon doesn't charge us an annual fee or something to partake is quite generous of him!
__________________
John Otto

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1955 - 1990 Topps Complete
1954 Topps 249/250 99%
1955 Bowman COMPLETE
1954 Bowman COMPLETE
1954 Red Heart 4/33 12%
1953 Topps 172/274 63%
1952 Topps 148/407 36%

1965 Topps 564/598 94% (Duplicate Set)
1969 Topps 662/664 99% (Duplicate Set)
1970 Topps 585/720 81% (Duplicate Set)
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 05-10-2021, 03:35 PM
Harliduck's Avatar
Harliduck Harliduck is offline
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Marysville, Wa
Posts: 982
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I am afraid the card bubble has burst a little bit. I wonder is some sellers realize that.
By burst a bit I am seeing things leveling out for sure...there was a period where post war anyway pricing was different daily...but last month or so there has been consistency from what I have seen...a new consistency...but nothing I'm looking at has gone backwards any...
__________________
John Otto

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1955 - 1990 Topps Complete
1954 Topps 249/250 99%
1955 Bowman COMPLETE
1954 Bowman COMPLETE
1954 Red Heart 4/33 12%
1953 Topps 172/274 63%
1952 Topps 148/407 36%

1965 Topps 564/598 94% (Duplicate Set)
1969 Topps 662/664 99% (Duplicate Set)
1970 Topps 585/720 81% (Duplicate Set)
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 05-10-2021, 03:53 PM
Jcosta19's Avatar
Jcosta19 Jcosta19 is offline
Justin
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 422
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harliduck View Post
By burst a bit I am seeing things leveling out for sure...there was a period where post war anyway pricing was different daily...but last month or so there has been consistency from what I have seen...a new consistency...but nothing I'm looking at has gone backwards any...
That's what I have seeing as well in low grade prewar stuff.

The very high grade may be coming back to earth but I don't follow that stuff.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 05-10-2021, 04:02 PM
Fballguy's Avatar
Fballguy Fballguy is offline
Rob
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 1,387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
I've seen a growing number of similar BST threads lately. Quite a few of them contain cards that pique my interest. However, they don't have asking prices. To paraphrase all these threads:

"I have the following item. Trying to (insert excuse) so I'm listing it here. PM me with offers."

If you're selling something, don't ask others to price your inventory for you. That's lazy.

If you're trying to connect with the highest bidder, grow a pair and put your item up for auction.

If you're trying to squeeze every last dime out of people every time you make a sale, go sell used cars for a living.
Some items can't be easily priced so I see no problem accepting offers. If it bothers you, shop elsewhere.
__________________
R0b G@@13t
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 05-10-2021, 04:05 PM
Fballguy's Avatar
Fballguy Fballguy is offline
Rob
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 1,387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnut View Post
I see some of you are okay with the "PM me" side. I'm curious how receptive you would be if that happened at a card show where the dealer didn't have prices showing on their card and asked you for an offer. It really is the same thing.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Why would this bother anyone? When does a card ever sell for the asking price anyway?
__________________
R0b G@@13t
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 05-10-2021, 04:07 PM
Fballguy's Avatar
Fballguy Fballguy is offline
Rob
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 1,387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I think I have priced everything I have listed here, but if someone doesn't want to why should it bother me? I can always make an offer and either it leads to a successful negotiation or it doesn't.

I do think people will do better with a price, but it is up to them.

I can say...Without a doubt, this is not true.
__________________
R0b G@@13t
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 05-10-2021, 04:27 PM
Republicaninmass Republicaninmass is offline
T3d $h3rm@n
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,704
Default

We can bitch about the bst threads, but I've had some sales and bought some cards. It works!
__________________
"Trolling Ebay right now" ©

NEED THE FOLLOWING 1952 topps

G TO VG-EX

(TONS TO TRADE, HIGHS LOWS, VARIATIONS, ERRORS)


322 jackson
328 borkowski
345 white
347 adcock
354 Hatfield
386 yuhas
399 fridley
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 05-10-2021, 04:59 PM
obcbobd obcbobd is offline
Bob Donaldson
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Woburn, MA
Posts: 868
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
I can say...Without a doubt, this is not true.
How? I've not seen this as too big an issue on BST, and I understand doing it on very rare items. But especially at shows, when I see 50/60s Topps cards all without prices, I just walk on to the next dealer. I know a lot of people who do the same. If you do this your losing potential customers. Doesn't make sense to me
__________________
My wantlist http://www.oldbaseball.com/wantlists...tag=bdonaldson
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 05-10-2021, 05:26 PM
Republicaninmass Republicaninmass is offline
T3d $h3rm@n
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,704
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
I can say...Without a doubt, this is not true.
I dont belive for one second n54 collectors aren't in tune with the market.


I've notice n54 buyers are notriously the cheapest, as many of my items sell for higher, even after fees, eventually on ebay!
__________________
"Trolling Ebay right now" ©

NEED THE FOLLOWING 1952 topps

G TO VG-EX

(TONS TO TRADE, HIGHS LOWS, VARIATIONS, ERRORS)


322 jackson
328 borkowski
345 white
347 adcock
354 Hatfield
386 yuhas
399 fridley
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 05-10-2021, 05:37 PM
perezfan's Avatar
perezfan perezfan is offline
M@RK ST€!NBERG
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
I dont belive for one second n54 collectors aren't in tune with the market.


I've notice n54 buyers are notriously the cheapest, as many of my items sell for higher, even after fees, eventually on ebay!
It's not apples to apples. Memorabilia and cards are inherently different.

But I do agree with you that net54 Buyers tend to be let's say "thrifty".
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 05-10-2021, 05:39 PM
Johnny630 Johnny630 is offline
Johnny MaZilli
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,894
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
I dont belive for one second n54 collectors aren't in tune with the market.


I've notice n54 buyers are notriously the cheapest, as many of my items sell for higher, even after fees, eventually on ebay!
That made me laugh….OBC too I would add in as Notoriously the cheapest.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 05-10-2021, 06:23 PM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is offline
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 30,537
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
That made me laugh….OBC too I would add in as Notoriously the cheapest.
I am the cheapest, hands down.

Another BST purchase... Personally I have seen some great cards and great deals there.



.
__________________
Leon Luckey
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 05-10-2021, 07:44 PM
Fballguy's Avatar
Fballguy Fballguy is offline
Rob
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 1,387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcbobd View Post
How? I've not seen this as too big an issue on BST, and I understand doing it on very rare items. But especially at shows, when I see 50/60s Topps cards all without prices, I just walk on to the next dealer. I know a lot of people who do the same. If you do this your losing potential customers. Doesn't make sense to me
Oh yes...If you're setting up tables at a show and you don't have items priced, then you're probably hurting yourself. I'm talking about one-off sales, which BST tends to be and which the OP was complaining about. I don't sell cards and what I do sell often doesn't have much, if any, sales history to go off of.
__________________
R0b G@@13t
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 05-10-2021, 07:47 PM
Fballguy's Avatar
Fballguy Fballguy is offline
Rob
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 1,387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
It's not apples to apples. Memorabilia and cards are inherently different.

But I do agree with you that net54 Buyers tend to be let's say "thrifty".
Net54 members are like PacMan Jones "Making it rain" in a strip joint compared to Facebook buyers, who are the "let me think about it and never get back to you" kings of the collecting jungle.
__________________
R0b G@@13t
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 05-10-2021, 07:50 PM
egri's Avatar
egri egri is offline
Sco.tt Mar.cus
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 1,065
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Net54 members are like PacMan Jones "Making it rain" in a strip joint compared to Facebook buyers, who are the "let me think about it and never get back to you" kings of the collecting jungle.
I'm a member of a few collecting groups on Facebook, but I don't see myself making a deal there. While the occasional BST deal goes bad here, at least the moderators are willing to step in. Facebook seems like the Wild West.
__________________
Signed 1953 Topps set: 261/274 (95.25 %)
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 05-10-2021, 08:10 PM
Mark17's Avatar
Mark17 Mark17 is offline
M@rk S@tterstr0m
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,037
Default Gehrig/Ruth/Young?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
There are almost no rules in the BST areas, however, we don't want members making any comments in those threads unless they are nice in nature. The fewer rules the better. Caveat Emptor and always PM me or another moderator with anything that looks suspicious or out of line.

One of my fave BST pickups several years ago..

This is labeled Gehrig/Ruth, but I think Cy Young is the older fellow in the middle.

In the pic below, Cy is sitting, far right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2222.jpg (80.6 KB, 331 views)
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any Offers? EternalCards Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) 2 07-04-2017 08:10 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:43 AM.


ebay GSB