NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-19-2021, 01:30 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanaselja View Post
See link above. It was exactly that.
Moses was found on a stream
Moses was found on a stream
Floated on water till old Pharoah's daughter
Fished him she says from that stream

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-19-2021 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-19-2021, 01:31 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
More likely to me there is some BS going on than it's a real sale where a wealthy guy was THAT stupid.
If the original charade topping out in Jan 2021 were still going on with the Jordan's then an 840K number by PWCC to outdo Goldin makes sense. To me this is just another effort of a run up. Nobody can have that much money or can be that ignorant to drop 840K on a card that is selling routinely for under 300K.
Old 07-19-2021, 01:33 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
If the original charade topping out in Jan 2021 were still going on with the Jordan's then an 840K number by PWCC to outdo Goldin makes sense. To me this is just another effort of a run up. Nobody can have that much money or can be that ignorant to drop 840K on a card that is selling routinely for under 300K.
Of course to get to 840 you need an underbidder lol.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-19-2021, 01:43 PM
Chase

Quote:
Define underbidder, please.
Old 07-19-2021, 01:45 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Define underbidder, please.
In theory, someone else who wanted the thing for almost as much as the high bidder did, 3x what they go for or 3.2 or whatever it works out to. In theory.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-19-2021 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-19-2021, 02:33 PM
Johnny MaZilli

What assets are allowed to be used to purchase from ebay? Can you use crypto? Can a group of people pay for one item ? If the card was sold off ebay don't they have to go by their terms of payment?

Last edited by Johnny630; 07-19-2021 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-19-2021, 02:54 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
More likely to me there is some BS going on than it's a real sale where a wealthy guy was THAT stupid.
Sir Isaac Newton got so caught up in the South Sea Company debacle that after he sold his stock, he bought back in at a higher price and lost the equivalent of $3 million. For the rest of his life he forbade anyone to speak the words 'South Sea Company' in his presence. If it happened to him, it can happen to any of these social media influencers, r/WallStreetBets bros, and many others of an entirely different character.
Old 07-19-2021, 03:23 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanaselja View Post
Believing that story about it being recently pulled from a pack and just graded ...I have some ocean front property in Nebraska to sell you as well.
Old 07-19-2021, 03:35 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Believing that story about it being recently pulled from a pack and just graded ...I have some ocean front property in Nebraska to sell you as well.
agreed...and the likelihood is after the card was pulled...it had a docters visit!
Old 07-19-2021, 03:48 PM
Drew W@i$e

Where there is smoke…
Old 07-19-2021, 04:13 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
As Goodwin pointed out to a friend of mine decades ago, he could report any price he wanted to. That's the great thing about this hobby -- anyone can say anything without having to provide proof, and most people will believe it because that's human nature. It may not be as bad as a certain lawyer claims -- that there is more dishonesty in the hobby than in organized crime -- but it's pretty damn bad IMO.

Rule of thumb -- if something leaves you just bewildered and shaking your head, there's probably more to the story.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-19-2021 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-19-2021, 04:17 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Sort of. Unless Brent is guaranteeing the underbidder that he won't win. Not that anything like that has ever happened...
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 07-19-2021 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07-19-2021, 04:47 PM

The gentleman has a very discerning eye.
Old 07-19-2021, 04:53 PM
Chase

Quote:
In theory, someone else who wanted the thing for almost as much as the high bidder did, 3x what they go for or 3.2 or whatever it works out to. In theory.
Oh THAT definition. Yeah not sure that one applies here but thanks for playing. We have some lovey parting gifts for you.
Old 07-19-2021, 06:24 PM
Jamie

I was listening to a Podcast today that suggested that the new owner is going to submit it to Beckett with the hope to get a Black Label.
Old 07-19-2021, 06:26 PM
Peter Spaeth

He should enlist Joe Clemons.

Old 07-19-2021, 11:49 PM

Jordan psa 10 fleer rookie sold last month for $212k in iconic auctions.
Old 07-20-2021, 06:03 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdoggs View Post
Jordan psa 10 fleer rookie sold last month for $212k in iconic auctions.
Probably not a very nice 10. The one that just sold for 840k was really an 11. Anyone should know that.

Old 07-20-2021, 08:42 AM
Chris Kim
Banned

not psa11. The back is a bit off center.
Old 07-20-2021, 09:32 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by egri View Post
Sir Isaac Newton got so caught up in the South Sea Company debacle that after he sold his stock, he bought back in at a higher price and lost the equivalent of $3 million. For the rest of his life he forbade anyone to speak the words 'South Sea Company' in his presence. If it happened to him, it can happen to any of these social media influencers, r/WallStreetBets bros, and many others of an entirely different character.
Also consider the majority of family fortunes are gone within 3 generations. The rich don't necessarily stay rich.
Old 07-20-2021, 07:15 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Probably not a very nice 10. The one that just sold for 840k was really an 11. Anyone should know that.

If we've reached the point of high end 10s and low end 10s, we've descended into absurdity. Leon I know you're being sarcastic, but just saying.

Old 07-20-2021, 07:49 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
If we've reached the point of high end 10s and low end 10s, we've descended into absurdity. Leon I know you're being sarcastic, but just saying.
Of course we have, Pete! Low grade 10's should be 9's...or 8's!!!!!
Old 07-20-2021, 07:50 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Doesn’t this prove that they are highly in accurate and all over the place when it comes to grading? When the hucksters are indirectly calling them out. Making stories up this was just pulled from a pack this looks like the best 10 I’ve ever seen the highest and what a crock of you guys know what. LOL

Last edited by Johnny630; 07-20-2021 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-20-2021, 07:51 PM
Randy Trierweiler

I think we descended into absurdity a long time ago.
Old 07-21-2021, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
Some prices are inherently not legitimate.

It should also be noted that rich businessmen didn't become rich by overpaying by 3x. They likely are more savvy and prudent about such purchases than the average person.
Plenty of rich folks out there who have the same vices as the rest of us, just on a bigger scale. Add in alcohol and there's plenty of bad decision making happening in all income bands.

Successful transactions with: t206kid, rootsearcher60, 36GoudeyMan, 53toppscollector, Scott L, horzverti, YazFenway08

Also on blowout! Same username.

Flippin my way to a PSA 1 Eddie Plank
Old 07-22-2021, 01:11 AM
Glyn Parson

Seems it needs to be said PSA 10 and perfect aren’t synonymous. So yes one ten can be nicer than another.
Old 07-22-2021, 08:26 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
Seems it needs to be said PSA 10 and perfect aren’t synonymous. So yes one ten can be nicer than another.
Ho doubt, but it's still absurd IMO to be explaining a 600K (3.5x) difference in price as the difference in quality between 10s.