NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-14-2015, 09:59 AM
C.hris Bl.and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins View Post
I won 2 cards. Shipping was billed at $44.85.
Seriously?
Maybe Pete Calderon, who was able to get on the board to advertise the auction in the past couple of days, can log in and explain these shipping fees.

Type 1 photos of baseball HOFers
N172 Old Judge Portraits

Will buy or trade for the above. Check out my cards at:

www.imageevent.com/crb972
Old 08-14-2015, 10:17 AM
J@son M1ller

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-illini View Post
Maybe Pete Calderon, who was able to get on the board to advertise the auction in the past couple of days, can log in and explain these shipping fees.
3 cards, $40.65. They also have a great workaround for California law. They are not allowed to charge tax on Shipping charges here so they state it as "service and handling" to avoid the law. Just to squeeze a couple more dollars out. Nice!
Old 08-14-2015, 10:32 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Just curious what the value of the 3 cards is? And thanks for the bids and wins too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
3 cards, $40.65. They also have a great workaround for California law. They are not allowed to charge tax on Shipping charges here so they state it as "service and handling" to avoid the law. Just to squeeze a couple more dollars out. Nice!

Last edited by Leon; 08-14-2015 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:37 AM
C.hris Bl.and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Just curious what the value of the 3 cards is?
I bid $190 for one card and won. with BP $227

Shipping was $19.30 and sales tax was 22.68 (I live in the same state as Tim - no Heritage office in Illinois) for an additional $41.98 in fees. Considering I have to wait 7-14 days to get my card, that is ridiculous.

N172 Old Judge Portraits

Old 08-14-2015, 10:45 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-illini View Post
I bid $190 for one card and won. with BP $227

Shipping was $19.30 and sales tax was 22.68 (I live in the same state as Tim - no Heritage office in Illinois) for an additional $41.98 in fees. Considering I have to wait 7-14 days to get my card, that is ridiculous.
I found this in a quick search.

Effective June 1st, Heritage will be required by state law to charge all applicable sales taxes on any items delivered to Illinois addresses other than sales to dealers with valid Illinois sales tax numbers who are purchasing for resale and who furnish us with a properly completed Illinois resale certificate (exempt purchasers may furnish us with properly completed Illinois exemption certificates). NO sales tax is due for US Coins & Currency and World Coins & Currency. Please see paragraph #25 in our Terms and Conditions for more complete information.

Sincerely,

Heritage Client Services
3500 Maple Ave. 17th Floor
Dallas, TX 75219-3941
Bid@HA.com
1-800-872-6467

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:47 AM
C.hris Bl.and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I found this in a quick search.

Effective June 1st, Heritage will be required by state law to charge all applicable sales taxes on any items delivered to Illinois addresses other than sales to dealers with valid Illinois sales tax numbers who are purchasing for resale and who furnish us with a properly completed Illinois resale certificate (exempt purchasers may furnish us with properly completed Illinois exemption certificates). NO sales tax is due for US Coins & Currency and World Coins & Currency. Please see paragraph #25 in our Terms and Conditions for more complete information.

Sincerely,

Heritage Client Services
3500 Maple Ave. 17th Floor
Dallas, TX 75219-3941
Bid@HA.com
1-800-872-6467
Thanks for posting that Peter - explains the tax for me anyhow.

N172 Old Judge Portraits

Old 08-14-2015, 11:01 AM
Tim Newcomb

Default humph

well, that's a drag. Paragraph 25 gives no more info. I wonder what exactly what is the requirement that requires Illinois sales tax to be collected.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:49 AM
Jeff Lowe

One of the reasons we moved to Delaware . T A X E S .
Old 08-14-2015, 10:57 AM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Regarding the shipping...it seems that this issue has come up more than once before. Seems that last time, we wrote Pete Calderon and he resolved the shipping stuff for us.

In case you're wondering, my shipping total is $83.65....heh...so I'm sure something can be worked out. Don't they usually botch the invoices at first before fixing them all within a day or two?
Old 08-14-2015, 10:19 AM
Tim Newcomb

Default Sales tax

Also it looks like Heritage is charging sales tax even for bidders in states where they don't have offices, which is unusual in my experience for an auction house. Maybe an explanation of that would be possible...
Old 08-14-2015, 10:31 AM
Zach

I did not get charged sales tax (LA). Shipping for my one item was $17 but I figured it would be a little more because of it being an uncut strip of cards (fairly long).

There is actually a breakdown of all shipping charges on their site - http://sports.ha.com/c/shipping.zx

My item was:

Up to $99 is $5.15 (base service)

In the item description it tells you what type of additional requirements there are to ship:

Trading Card Set or Notebook, Large is $12.10 first item + $4.85 per additional item

So mine was $5.15 (base) + $12.10 (additional) = $17.25 (exactly what I was charged for shipping)

Last edited by ZachS; 08-14-2015 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:41 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachS View Post
I did not get charged sales tax (LA). Shipping for my one item was $17 but I figured it would be a little more because of it being an uncut strip of cards (fairly long).

There is actually a breakdown of all shipping charges on their site - http://sports.ha.com/c/shipping.zx

My item was:

Up to $99 is $5.15 (base service)

In the item description it tells you what type of additional requirements there are to ship:

Trading Card Set or Notebook, Large is $12.10 first item + $4.85 per additional item

So mine was $5.15 (base) + $12.10 (additional) = $17.25 (exactly what I was charged for shipping)

That's fine, and I actually really like that they are willing to put the estimated shipping in writing, which I think all auction houses should, but a single graded card falls under their category "Trading Card Set or Notebook, Large" at $12.10 extra? If that's the case, what items would fall under "Trading Card Set, Medium $4.85 first item + $1.30 per additional item" or "Trading Card Set, Small $1.30 first item + $0.70 per additional item" or better yet "Sportscard $1.30 first item + $0.45 per additional item"?
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 08-14-2015, 12:02 PM

To be fair, whenever I'm out of packing supplies, I win an auction at Heritage. A single card will come wrapped in about $50 worth of bubble wrap and at least a couple of envelopes.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:07 PM

"To be fair, whenever I'm out of packing supplies, I win an auction at Heritage. A single card will come wrapped in about $50 worth of bubble wrap and at least a couple of envelopes."

+1

Cheers, Mike

Last edited by Michael Peich; 08-14-2015 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:42 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Winning bids (2 lots): $510.00
Invoice total: $676.01

That works out to 33% for the buyer's premium + sales tax + shipping + handling. Mind you, I fully accept the buyer's premium and the sales tax, but they're still charging me about $35 more to ship something that I'd put in a small flat rate priority box for $5.95. The penny at the end is just adding insult to injury.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:42 AM
M0rrie Mu||ins

I won one card (the Tango Eggs Jennings, which is probably now the prettiest card in my collection despite its technical grade!), and had misread the shipping information. I hadn't realized that steps 2 and 3 got added together to get to a $19.30 shipping charge for one card.

I'm still unclear why a single graded card counts as "Trading card set or notebook, large" rather than "Trading card set, medium" which would be $7.50 cheaper. The paranoid part of me thinks it's because Heritage added a free book to my order, which would make the entire package much larger than the one graded card and potentially more notebook-sized. It also makes the book not all that "free."

Congrats on the successful auction, Leon! I suspect that some of the grousing about things like shipping etc. is because your amazing collection attracted a lot of us who had bid in very few auctions outside of eBay in the past (I won my first non-eBay item earlier this month...), and just got a few little surprises on the back end. =)

Morrie

Last edited by unamuzd1; 08-14-2015 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Words