NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-14-2022, 12:57 PM
Drew W@i$e

Default Strongsville Show

Strongsville show is in 2 weeks. It hasn't been held in 3 years (I believe).

Anyone going? If it is like Valley Forge from a few weeks ago, it will be gangbusters!
Old 03-14-2022, 01:39 PM
Darrell

im planning on it.. nice to have back

btw if you click on the Strongsville ad banner here it seems to be going to Lelands (?)
Old 03-14-2022, 01:40 PM
J.O.N

I may be there. A little drive but not bad. Heard good things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My PM box might be full.

Email:
jcfowler6@zoominternet.net

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner
Cracker Jack Wagner and Clarke

Love the hobby.
Old 03-14-2022, 02:40 PM
Johnny MaZilli

I bet the dollar boxes are going to be PACKED.....expensive cards....I think will go to the Auction Houses.
Old 03-14-2022, 04:48 PM
Bob C.

Definitely going, only about 10-15 minutes from my house.

Aside from Covid, another reason for the lapse of the show was from the passing of Paul Fusco a few years back in January, 2019. The show, also known as the Ohio Sports Collectors Convention, had already been booked and set up for March, 2019, so went ahead as planned. Paul owned and operated Fusco Auctions for years, along with hosting and organizing the annual Strongsville show. Paul had actually resurrected and taken over the Strongsville show after the passing of Geoff Sindelar in 2010. The show began in 1978, so don't know if Sindelar was prt of the group that originally started and organized the show at the Strongsville Holiday Inn each Spring. But he was involved for quite a few years before Paul took over. Sindelar was a big-time collector of cards and memorabilia, and became somewhat famous locally as the "Professor" due to his extensive knowledge of sports collectibles and memorabilia. He was always calling local sports talk radio shows and discussing sports collectibles, which is where he earned the moniker as the "Professor", from knowing so much more than the people on the radio. Eventually, local radio stations hired Sindelar to host his own on-air radio shows, which he did for quite a few years.

I especially loved it when back when Sindelar was running the Strongsville show he would also host a cash only, live auction on Saturday evenings, after the show had ended for the day. The coolest part was they held the auction around the Holiday Inn's indoor pool. Talk about a crazy auction venue, can still remember the chlorine smell in the air. You never knew in advance what they'd be auctioning off either. Also, it looks like Best Wester has recently taken over, so it's no longer a Holiday Inn anymore.

Anyway, when Paul took over the show, he had Leland's as one of the sponsors, and had heard they would likely continue the show after him. It was certainly the biggest and best vintage show in Ohio every year, except when they held the National every so often at the IX Center. Just hope it can live up to its past shows, and continue on for years to come.

Last edited by BobC; 03-14-2022 at 07:17 PM.
Old 03-14-2022, 06:40 PM

I used to go to that show all the time in the 1990's. Loved it. It was one of my favorite shows to attend !!!
Old 03-15-2022, 07:35 AM

I'm going! But sadly no SGC.
Old 03-15-2022, 07:45 AM

Default Strongsville show

Looking forward to it! Strongsville is, pound for pound, the best vintage
and tobacco card show I attend. This show is what all shows should strive to
be...
Johnny630- you obviously have never attended, right? There will be PLENTY
of good material on hand. Although I'm not a dollar box guy, there is usually
something for all types of buyers at the show. Any attempt to make it appear
like a neighborhood garage sale is woefully off base, however.
See you collectors there! Trent King
Old 03-15-2022, 07:45 AM
Rob

I plan on going, used to be a really good show.
Old 03-15-2022, 08:31 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight Graham View Post
I'm going! But sadly no SGC.
Agree It's so disappointing to me that SGC does no on site grading. This show would be perfect for them being it's pretty much an all vintage show. In the past SGC graded on site at this show along with National.
Old 03-15-2022, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClementeFanOh View Post
Strongsville is, pound for pound, the best vintage and tobacco card show I attend.
Couldn't agree more. Very excited to make it back to this show after a three year hiatus.

Here are a few random pics I took on Friday (maybe Saturday?) right as I walked in the door back in 2019:

Old 03-15-2022, 12:02 PM
Tony Gordon

Paul Fusco was easily my favorite promoter. I had to prove to him that I was a vintage dealer before he would let me set up. I loved how he would walk around the room and yell at dealers to remove modern cards from their tables. His wife and daughter did a fantastic job operating that last show in April 2019. I am concerned that Leland's is going to ruin the show. Unlike Paul, they are allowing dealers to sell modern cards. In my opinion, what made this show so great and unique is that there were no modern card dealers during Paul's reign. It is a five-hour drive for me and this may be my last year attending. I can set up at a show alongside modern dealers 20 minutes from home, why drive five hours for a show that is no longer great and unique?
Old 03-15-2022, 12:51 PM

Default HIGHLY recommend...

Buying your tics now my bet is it gets sold out its not a very large area and its always packed...I bet they will stop ticket sales. For what its worth.
Old 03-15-2022, 02:27 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Gordon View Post
Paul Fusco was easily my favorite promoter. I had to prove to him that I was a vintage dealer before he would let me set up. I loved how he would walk around the room and yell at dealers to remove modern cards from their tables. His wife and daughter did a fantastic job operating that last show in April 2019. I am concerned that Leland's is going to ruin the show. Unlike Paul, they are allowing dealers to sell modern cards. In my opinion, what made this show so great and unique is that there were no modern card dealers during Paul's reign. It is a five-hour drive for me and this may be my last year attending. I can set up at a show alongside modern dealers 20 minutes from home, why drive five hours for a show that is no longer great and unique?
Absolutely, Paul's wife Debbie is fantastic, and always a main fixture at the live auctions he was constantly putting on as well. If you ever had a chance to attend one of his live auctions, they were great. And he normally bought food and beverages to share with everyone. And he wasn't just a card/memorabilia dealer/auctioneer either. He also ran tons of antique and stamp auctions, handled art, furnishings, coins, estates, real estate, you name it and he was involved. He used to come across some real rarities from time to time. I remember one of the rarest items I'd ever seen and bid on in one of his live auctions was a complete Snap Shots candy box with all four of the W555 cards intact and in great shape. Have never heard of or seen another complete box, before or since.

And on a sort of sad note, I was at the last live sports collectibles auction he ever had, right near the end of 2018, and just a couple months before he passed away. The sad part was, at the auction he was telling us he was going to retire, and this was probably going to be his last ever regular sports collectibles auction. He said he planned on running a few more auctions in 2019, but that was going to be to finish clearing out and selling off all the stuff he had personally accumulated since 1981, when he had first gotten into the business. Sadly, he never got the chance to retire and spend more time with Debbie, his wife.

And as you said, he was not a modern card fan, and strove to make sure he continued the legacy of the guys that started the show back in 1978. There was a local Leland's rep (don't know his name, but know him on sight) that was always at the auctions and shows, and knew Paul very well. Probably a big reason Leland's was a co-sponsor of the show for many years, and why they were at the front of the line to take over the show. I have a lot of faith the show will still be vintage dominant as Leland's makes it a point on the show's website to mention this as being the longest running vintage card and memorabilia show in the US. I doubt they would intentionally want to ruin that reputation and streak. But won't be surprised if some more modern than usual stuff does turn up.

And maybe Debbie will be there so I can say hi again and see how she's been doing. Hoping for a great show.
Old 03-16-2022, 11:28 PM
Greg C

Great show. Always worth going
Old 03-18-2022, 01:33 PM
Josh

I’ll be there Friday and Saturday at least. I’m super excited as well to see many members and great cards.

Josh
Old 03-19-2022, 06:49 AM
Johnny MaZilli

The big question and I know from past experiences a lot of the Card Doctors show up and walk the floor for this show….I wonder who will appear this year ?
Old 03-19-2022, 07:23 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
The big question and I know from past experiences a lot of the Card Doctors show up and walk the floor for this show….I wonder who will appear this year ?

Why not, there are no repercussions?

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 03-19-2022, 08:31 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Why not, there are no repercussions?
No none, zero consequences. Shame hasn’t stopped them.
Old 03-19-2022, 11:05 AM
J.O.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post

Serious question. I can be a little naive. Can you explain what you mean by Card doctors? And what is their intent by walking the floor?

My PM box might be full.

Email:

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner

Love the hobby.
Old 03-19-2022, 04:26 PM

I was at Valley Forge aka the Philly show, from a vintage standpoint it was ok. Maybe one out of five tables had vintage and perhaps one of out of three of those had graded vintage. Hoping to find high end vintage at Strongsville, obviously '54s are my first priority

I was planning to go to Shipshewana on Saturday after Strongsville but after talking to an Ohio vintage dealer at Philly, I found out pretty quick that'd it be a waste of time.

Last edited by 1954 topps; 03-19-2022 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-19-2022, 05:26 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Sadly I will not be there

I emailed months ago asking about a table. Followed up once. Not sure who's running it now, but a response would have been nice - even just to tell me tables are sold out and they put me on a waiting list. Crickets.

I will be doing the Big Apple Comic Con in NYC instead - 1st show there in a couple of years too!

I'll also be in Chantilly the following week. Joe (also promotes Valley Forge) is a fantastic promoter and is working hard to make the show strong!

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 03-19-2022, 07:55 PM
J.O.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
I emailed months ago asking about a table. Followed up once. Not sure who's running it now, but a response would have been nice - even just to tell me tables are sold out and they put me on a waiting list. Crickets.

I will be doing the Big Apple Comic Con in NYC instead - 1st show there in a couple of years too!

I'll also be in Chantilly the following week. Joe (also promotes Valley Forge) is a fantastic promoter and is working hard to make the show strong!

Was the guys name Mike? I had to hound him for a year before he returned my call. He acted like I was annoying him. But I finally got a table at the Hartville show. I missed one show when my father in law died. and now I’m out. Outside trying to get back in.

My PM box might be full.

Email:

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner

Love the hobby.
Old 03-19-2022, 08:09 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcfowler6 View Post
Serious question. I can be a little naive. Can you explain what you mean by Card doctors? And what is their intent by walking the floor?

Without the card doctors we wouldn't have all those high end vintage cards and the hobby wouldn't be what it is today.

Thankfully they turn lower end ugly cards no real collector would even want into amazing high grade cards we can all be proud of owning.