NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-27-2021, 09:19 AM
Drew W@i$e

Default PSA Economy – Ground Truth

Hoping to get information from any NET54 members on if/when PSA Economy service will be back and at what price. It was suspended in March 2021.

This question was posed on another platform and the following answers were suggested:

- 1 October 2021
- Beginning of 2022
- Summer 2022 (100 minimum card submission along with price increase)
- When the PSA backlog ends
- Never

I have some cards to grade, but I do not want to wait 6 months or a year. Any info?
Old 09-27-2021, 10:59 AM
James M

If you look at the current tiers:

Walk-through: $600
Super Express: $300
Express: $150

Logically, Regular Service will open at $100 per card. Economy will open at $75 (possibly $50) per card. People suspected Regular would come back on October 1, I think it might be a bit later, but sometime in October seems likely. I would peg economy opening back up in early 2022.

Value/bulk is likely not going to open until mid-2022 at the earliest, if it even opens in what was considered "Value" before.

PSA has hired a ton of new employees, and once the backlog is cleared, they'll need work to justify those new employees. I think Nat Turner wants to keep PSA busy, so I think they will open Regular again soon.

That said, they've basically had the faucet shut off for what, 6 months? There are lots of people out there who have been accumulating raw cards and just holding them, waiting for PSA to open again. They will have to do some kind of tiered approach when opening up a $100 service level, and definitely when they open up a $50 service level, because if they don't, they are going to literally receive millions of cards in a few weeks.

PSA graded 669,000 cards in August. That seems to be about their capacity. When they open up Regular, I suspect they'll receive 4-5 months of work in 3-4 weeks. It will be interesting to see how they handle it.

Last edited by 53toppscollector; 09-27-2021 at 11:02 AM.
Old 09-27-2021, 11:05 AM
Peter Spaeth

Do we really think PSA has closed the door on dealers who submit massive quantities of lesser stars and who have been mainstays of their business for years like 4 Sharp Corners?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-27-2021 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-27-2021, 11:24 AM
James M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Do we really think PSA has closed the door on dealers who submit massive quantities of lesser stars and who have been mainstays of their business for years like 4 Sharp Corners?
I think there are 2 things to consider:

1. From a business perspective only, PSA is better off grading fewer cards at a higher price to meet their targets. Grading 500,000 cards at an average cost of $100 per card is $50M. Grading 1,000,000 cards at $50 per card gets you the same $50M, but with more actual work/labor. Obviously. It has been in PSA's interest to keep only a few service levels open, at much higher prices. And if they were hurting moneywise, I suspect they'd have opened up more service levels, but I am guessing they've received a steady stream of cards at Express and Super Express over the last few months.

2. Nat Turner has talked a good game about the importance of the set registry and the ability to grade base cards at a reasonable price. But people sending in 5th year Craig Biggio cards at $8 per card is basically how we got into this backlog. The set registry is important, it is basically what got me back into the hobby 5 years ago, even though my stance on it has changed drastically in the last 18 months. I suspect bulk/value will come back eventually, at something like $20 per card, but with massive turnaround times (12-18 months minimum)

I think what we have learned, if nothing else, is that PSA is still the gold standard in terms of grading, despite all of their obvious flaws. They clearly know that too, and know that they can pretty much set the terms at this point, and a big portion of the hobby base will just go with whatever they offer. SGC seems to have picked up some small market share, but not enough to worry PSA at all. And Beckett appears to mostly just be a lost cause at this point
Old 09-27-2021, 11:28 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53toppscollector View Post

1. From a business perspective only, PSA is better off grading fewer cards at a higher price to meet their targets. Grading 500,000 cards at an average cost of $100 per card is $50M. Grading 1,000,000 cards at $50 per card gets you the same $50M, but with more actual work/labor. Obviously. It has been in PSA's interest to keep only a few service levels open, at much higher prices. And if they were hurting moneywise, I suspect they'd have opened up more service levels, but I am guessing they've received a steady stream of cards at Express and Super Express over the last few months.

2. Nat Turner has talked a good game about the importance of the set registry and the ability to grade base cards at a reasonable price. But people sending in 5th year Craig Biggio cards at $8 per card is basically how we got into this backlog. The set registry is important, it is basically what got me back into the hobby 5 years ago, even though my stance on it has changed drastically in the last 18 months. I suspect bulk/value will come back eventually, at something like $20 per card, but with massive turnaround times (12-18 months minimum)

I think what we have learned, if nothing else, is that PSA is still the gold standard in terms of grading, despite all of their obvious flaws. They clearly know that too, and know that they can pretty much set the terms at this point, and a big portion of the hobby base will just go with whatever they offer. SGC seems to have picked up some small market share, but not enough to worry PSA at all. And Beckett appears to mostly just be a lost cause at this point
James you're very well spoken. I agree :-)
Old 09-27-2021, 11:36 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

Logical points to be sure. Two things. One, I'm stunned so many people are sending in so many cards at these higher levels. Incredible. Where are all these (presumably) expensive cards to be worth $150 and up for grading coming from? Two, even if it might be rational to stop taking subs from the 4 Sharps of the world, I still suspect there is a back door here for dealers who have been that instrumental to the success of the company.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-27-2021, 11:47 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Logical points to be sure. Two things. One, I'm stunned so many people are sending in so many cards at these higher levels. Incredible. Where are all these (presumably) expensive cards to be worth $150 and up for grading coming from? Two, even if it might be rational to stop taking subs from the 4 Sharps of the world, I still suspect there is a back door here for dealers who have been that instrumental to the success of the company.
Peter I don't necessarily think that the cards being sent it are expensive. I feel it's the inflow of more people who have a ton of money that think of PSA cards as an investment tool/assest they don't care if its $250 or $150 a card, that's peanuts to them. They just want the cards back quick. PSA in terms of business decision, to me I feel is making all the right moves. The slow and steady tiered approach to lowered services levels is benefiting them.

Last edited by Johnny630; 09-27-2021 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-27-2021, 12:27 PM
Ch@d

Quote:
One, I'm stunned so many people are sending in so many cards at these higher levels. Incredible. Where are all these (presumably) expensive cards to be worth $150 and up for grading coming from?
+1. I assumed that the business would mostly dry up at that price level, and that PSA would be forced to return to reasonable grading prices. I seem to have been proven wrong. I continue to be stunned month after month. And even if we eventually see $20 per card, that is not low enough to keep graded set collecting alive. Even if they eventually get back to $8 per card specials, they may have already killed off a large chunk of graded set collecting by that time. It remains to be seen if that will happen, but if it does it could eventually come back to hurt PSA (and all TPGs) in the long run, after the current boom ends. They are going to need to keep grading a lot of cards to justify their expenses given the massive growth that they've recently undergone.
successful deals with hcv123, rholmes, robw1959, Yankees1964, theuclakid, Brian Van Horn, h2oya311, thecapeleague, Gkoz316, chesbro41, edjs, wazoo, becollie, t206kid, vintageismygame, Neal, bradmar48, iconsportscards, wrapperguy, agrebene, T3fan, T3s, ccre, Leon, wolf441, cammb, tonyo, markf31,gonzo,scmavl & others

currently working on:
E101 (33/50)
T3 set (104/104), complete!
T205 set (108/221)
'33 Goudey
collecting W600s, Walter Johnson
Old 09-28-2021, 10:15 AM
Steven Sadler

Quote:
My guess is the majority of cards being graded express right now are modern issues. People spend outrageous amounts on unopened wax in the hopes of hitting autos of superstars or parallel/refractor cards of prospects that are worth thousands in PSA 9/10.
Old 09-28-2021, 02:12 AM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
PSA has hired a ton of new employees...

PSA graded 669,000 cards in August.
I'm curious how many graders are employed by everybody's favorite opinion seller.