NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-12-2010, 05:16 PM

This is indeed very sad news. I have always enjoyed reading Joe's take on the hobby.

May Joe rest in peace, an my sincerest condolences to his family.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:16 PM
Michael S

His posts were certainly opinionated and could get under people's skin but you always knew where he stood and you had to admire his great passion for collecting! Rest in peace Joe!
Old 05-12-2010, 05:29 PM
Bruce Babcock

I always enjoyed Joe's contributions to the board. My condolences to his family.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:38 PM
Matt Wieder

My best to his family. Always sad to lose one from our Net54 community.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Johnny S

Very sad news, RIP
Old 05-12-2010, 05:58 PM
Hank Thomas

Default Goodbye, My Friend

Terrible news. The Chantilly show, which he was so happy to see (and promote) moving in a vintage direction, will never be the same for me. No more passionate political discussions, no more dinners with amazing stories from his fascinating life, no more baseball and hobby talk. Yes, he was opinionated, but that was just the fervor that fired up his life, and everybody around him. What a character! what a man! I will miss him greatly.
Hank Thomas
Old 05-12-2010, 06:01 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

This is truly sad news to log into Net 54 and read first thing. Very unexpected as well. I just got done doing a BST trade with Joe just a couple weeks ago. I spoke with him on the phone too. He's always been very friendly with me over the phone and you could sense the enthusiasm he has for the hobby easily. He was always willing to take a couple hours and chat with you about the hobby too. It was certainly a pleasure to know him.

My sincerest condolences go out to his family. RIP Joe, you'll definitely be missed.

Brian
Old 05-12-2010, 06:08 PM
Kenny Cole

I always liked Joe. He will be missed. RIP Joe.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:15 PM

The man was certainly passionate about his cards. RIP. He'll be missed.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:48 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Joe Pelaez

I met Joe in 1984 at the Willow Grove Show. He was at my table buying 1948 Bowman FB & 1949 BB cards.
I helped him complete those two sets. But, he was more than just a collector of Sportscards. He had this
incessant curiosity to dig into the nitty-gritty of how and why certain cards or sets were tough to find. In
this respect, we became instant friends. He had read my numerous Bowman BB and FB articles in SCD and
Krause's Base Ball Cards Magazine in the early 1980's; and, he would spend what seemed like hours at my
table "Talkin' BB cards" (of all stripes).

When the Philly Show moved to Ft Washington, I saw Joe occasionally. But, we met up again at Sotheby's
(the weekend Gretzky bought the Wagner) and we had a great time in the hospitality room getting caught
up on the "good ole days".

I last saw Joe in 1999 at the Philly Show and at that time he was collecting T209's. I had a bunch of them,
Joe bought them all. I must of given him a price on these cards that he couldn't refuse. We talked for quite
a while, and then I lost contact with him. Until....

I started posting on Net54 in 2005, Joe responded to one of my T206 threads. And, we were in touch again.
At times quite at odds with each other, and other times not so. I can say this for Joe, in person or over the
phone, Joe was a mellow guy. We would have some long and very interesting conversations, that lasted for
hours.
Anyhow, he will certainly be missed....Joe had a way with words that made you think.

GOD Bless you Joe....and may GOD comfort your family.

TED Z
Old 05-12-2010, 06:59 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

I also corresponded with Joe by email a lot and found him to be a very decent, funny, unflappable, interesting guy. He's one of a handful I would have been very happy to meet at the National.

Last edited by calvindog; 05-12-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:00 PM
David G

Default Joe

I never met Joe but made several trades with him over the years. He always struck me as a good guy and passionate collector. Wish I would have met him . . . . .
Old 05-12-2010, 07:10 PM
Rich Klein

Default Joe TY for your contributions to the hobby

And for what you attempted to do back in the day to ferret out the crooks of the hobby as well,

I'm truly sorry we never got to meet as I'm sure we would have had a real fun chat

Rich
Old 05-12-2010, 07:50 PM
Jon Canfield

Very sad news. I spoke to Joe many times on the phone about cigarette packs and cards in general. I first met Joe when bidding against him for a Contentnea cigarette pack. We emailed back and forth for a bit, and then spoke on the phone. After Joe found out I was living in NYC, we spoke more frequently. He conveyed many stories to me from his days in the hobby and always enjoyed his conversations and emails. I'm truly saddened by this news.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:16 PM

It's moments like these that really put things into perspective. As the recipient of one of Joe's last zingers, I feel honored. While we never seemed to be on the same page, his sharp wit and sense of humor will be missed by me dearly. God bless, Joe...
Old 05-12-2010, 08:48 PM
Barry Arnold

Default Joe

a sad day, indeed.
the loss of an Net54 family member.

my deepest condolences to his family and friends,
barry
Old 05-12-2010, 10:02 PM
Fred

This is sad. He was never one to mince words. He communicated how he felt and you knew where he stood on issues. First my condolances to his family, second, my condalances to this board for losing a good contributor/member.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:31 PM
Val Kehl

Joe,
I'm so glad that I got to meet you at the Chantilly Shows, and I truly enjoyed our lengthy chats. And, thanks for all the vintage bb card knowledge that you gave me.
RIP, mi amigo,
Val
Old 05-13-2010, 12:30 AM
MJ

RIP, Joe. It's my loss that i never get the chance to know you, but you seemed like a decent guy.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:52 AM
Ryan Christoff

This is horrible news. Joe was one of my favorite board members. I had several 2 and 3 hour phone conversations with him and like many others, received regular e-mails from him, usually unexpected and always offering encouragement or a joke, or sometimes saying "way to stick it to that asshole" when I was involved in a controversial thread.

I can see him now, flying through the air as a baby (to his mother's horror), waiting for Adolfo Luque to catch him. I loved that story so much that ever since he told it to me he signed all of his e-mails to me "Joe Pelaez y Adolfo Luque."

I always prodded him to try to get him to go to the National. It makes me sad that I'll never get to hang out with him in person.

Thanks for everything, Joe. You'll be missed.

-Ryan
Old 05-13-2010, 12:56 AM

Condolences to his family and friends. I always liked that he was talking about the "old days" of the hobby when people met face to face and swapped cards for fun without the $ signs...
Old 05-13-2010, 12:56 AM
MJ

don't mean to pry, but how did Joe died? His last post was in late April, accident? I would totally understand if his family does not wish to disclose this information.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:27 AM

He was always an interesting contributor on the Net54 Board and will be missed.
RIP.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:27 PM

Default :(

Joe was a family friend for a good 50+ years. I'm only 35, so I've known him all my life. I just found out this morning and I'm totally shocked. I googled him and found this board. Not surprised he hung out here ... he really loved those older cards. I tried to get him out to California for my dad's 60th birthday party a couple of years ago but it didn't work out.

I thought I'd drop a couple of Joe stories that were kind of funny.

When I was about 12 or 13 back in 1987, we went to a big card show in Anaheim. I'm an Angels fan and at the time, the hot card was a Wally Joyner rookie. We were at an auction they were having there and he bought something ... I don't remember what, but it probably cost around $10. At that time, I was totally into the value of every card. So in the car after the show, I asked him how much whatever it was that he bought was worth. Well Joe saw me as a fairly young kid and wanted me, above all, to have fun with the hobby. So he said, "Let me ask you, Sam, what price do you put on enjoyment?" I thought he asked what price I put on a Joyner. So when I answered, "I don't know ... about six bucks" ... he was pretty shocked. We cleared up the confusion and all was well.

For college, I went to Kansas State University. At the time, the football team was very good, like top 5 in the country. When he was young, he was recruited to play football there, but they were terrible, like 0-for-the-season terrible. He went in for his recruiting trip and saw the game film of KSU getting pummeled by Oklahoma. I remember talking to him for a couple of hours about his recruiting trip. He told me, "After seeing those films, I did something that I thought was safer than playing football at Kansas State ... I joined the Marines and went and fought in Korea!"

I know a lot of you met Joe or maybe only knew him via online. He was a super-nice guy and was always just a big kid, even when he was in his 70s. It doesn't surprise me at all that he got into it online with folks in debates, but if you ever met him, you would have really liked the time he spent with you. He was a super friendly guy.

Anyways, I just heard about this today and I'm pretty sad about it. When he didn't make it out to my dad's party, I knew I probably wouldn't see him again, and I was right.

I figure this is probably the best place to post this about him.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:29 PM

Joe P. was a passionate collector who will be missed. His hobby stories were great. I was lucky enough to talk on the phone a few times with him -- and it was difficult to get off the phone! Truly a sad day for our hobby. R.I.P. Joe P.

Andrew
Old 05-13-2010, 12:31 PM

thank you for that post Sam.
It is very nice to hear about Joe.

I've posted before in this thread - but again....
RIP joe.
My condolences to the family.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:35 PM
Barry Sloate

Thanks Sam for sharing those stories.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:35 PM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

Sam,

Welcome to the board and sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing some of your stories. I will truly miss his contribution to the hobby and board discussions.

r/
Frank
Old 05-13-2010, 12:46 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Sam

Thanks for the warm memories you had of him, Sam. I especially like the value of enjoyment at $6 .

On another note I need to correct an earlier statement I made. It really does personify Joe. About the time this new board s/w was put into place Joe was at odds with a few board members. Now remember, I always liked Joe, regardless of the squabbles he got into on the board. I got emails from a few regulars saying that if Joe persisted then they would leave the board. Well, I had to ask Joe to stay away from those few folks on the board. Joe, in his ever direct way, told me "sorry Leon, I just can't do it". So, Joe left voluntarily for a while. He never was suspended from the board. He left for a while on his own. Then, several months later, he came back and was mostly very civil the second time around, especially with respect to those few people I had asked him to stay away from. I just wanted to clear up the point as I know Joe would have taken me to task for it. Good ole Joe. He was cosistent. I am so very sorry I didn't get to meet him in person but at least I got to have a few (lengthy ) phone calls with him. Bless his heart.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:15 PM
Barry Arnold

Default joe

sam,
very moving stories.
many thanks for sharing.
my condolences,
barry
Old 05-13-2010, 01:17 PM
Barry Sloate

I was of course exhibit #1 among the people Leon asked Joe to stay away from. I tried recently to smooth things out with him on the board but I didn't stand a chance. I guess once Joe set his mind on something, that was it. I have to say it did upset me that he and I had such a poor rapport. Well, as I said earlier, I have no hard feelings any more.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:52 PM
Richard Cline

Sorry to hear the sad news, condolences to Joe's family. It's tough to lose a contributor to this board.
RC
Old 05-14-2010, 10:29 AM

This is sad news. My initial encounter with Joe was as a neophyte poster on this Board when he scolded me in a sort of "who the hell are you?" way for suggesting that there might be certain errors in Heitman's The Monster. Having gotten to know Joe better in several phone conversations in the last couple of years, I came to appreciate that this initial hazing was Joe's personal initiation rite to our great hobby, born out of his deep love and respect for its traditions.

As others have said, Joe's often gruff Board persona masked a certain sweetness in the man that revealed itself in more personal settings. On the phone, Joe was jovial, quick with a joke and generous with his time. One lesson I will take from Joe is to try and keep written conversations as cordial as oral ones.

I more often than not disagreed with Joe on policy questions. But now that he is gone, I already miss him--much in the same way I missed Howard Cosell on Monday Night Football after he departed. Agree with him or not, Joe was a life force to be felt, and not ignored.

Rest in peace.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:37 PM
Mark Rios

Wow. I don't know what to really say...

Although I have dropped out of the hobby, due to financial issues, and have been selling off my beaters, I would still call him every couple of months.
Seems like I just spoke to him...maybe in late March. I knew his health was failing
but he never once went into details.

I sold him a few of my T210s - a set he said he was crazy to try and put together
at his advanced age. He was close to the T217 set, missing a couple or so.
He had multiples of the T209 set.

We shared a common interest in old Cuban cards and a NYC childhood.

He would always retell his story of his T206 Doyle, how he got it, KO and the master card doctor - I forget his name.

He was great, always willing to share his knowledge and time with me.

He would tell me he would always keep an eye out for a 1922 Zeenut Cueto for me.

He will be very missed indeed.

As he always would end our conversations...."quidate", in spanish sincerely meaning
to take care of yourself.

Quidate, Joe. Until we meet again.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:45 AM
Eric Brehm

Default Joe Pelaez

I never met Joe P. but corresponded with him once in a while about a few different things. I am sorry to hear this news and send my condolences to his family.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:50 PM

Default Joe Pelaez

I have been a close friend of Joe Pelaez for nearly 20 years and frequently attended the Chantilly Baseball Card Show with Joe. For nearly all that time,
Joe and I had seats together at the Prince William County Carolina League (now Potomac Nationals) games. Joe was a Yankee fan and hence his user name of "Potomac YanK.

A mutual friend of ours phoned today to let me know that there was a thread on this site dedicated to Joe. Joe and I attended the Chantilly show on Friday April 23rd and he came to my home that evening for dinner and to discuss the show and what he had bought. Joe called me on Friday April 24th to discuss an issue with the renewal of his apartment rental lease. He also sent my wife and I an email on Saturday April 25th with one of his many jokes. Apparently, Joe died on this later day.

Without getting into details, Joe has had several illnesses over the past three years (as have I) which made it very difficult for us to walk into and around stadiums or card shows. However, I understand that Joe was believed by the Loudoun County (Virginia) Rescue Squad to have died of a heart attack.

For those of you who had disagreements with Joe, please know that even Joe would, from time to time, disagree with Joe. Even we had disagreements, but as Korean War veterans our mutual experiences always overcame any temporary differences. Joe was a bonafide Korean War hero who was at Chosen Reservoir freeing in the ice and snow with a summer unform when the Chinese Communists threw everything they had at the Marines, and the Marines held strong!

Joe was my best friend for the last twenty years and I will miss him more that I can ever tell you1

If any one would like to commnicate with me about Joe, please email me at thyland3202@yahoo.com or call me at 703-0266-7640. I will be attending his memorial service in July.