NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-09-2022, 11:00 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Can anyone provide info on this issue?

Gent's:

This is nothing I collect but I just picked up the below what appear to be a Rochester Cardinals pre 1930 issue.

They are 8x10 blank backed and the players are: Joe Brown, Paul Florence, Paul Derringer, Tex Carleton, Rip Collins, Bob McGraw, Ira Smith and Specs Topopcor.

Does anyone have others of these? A checklist? etc. Any and all info appreciated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cards Rochester 1.jpg (91.3 KB, 447 views)
File Type: jpg Cards Rochester 2.jpg (96.0 KB, 441 views)
File Type: jpg Cards Rochester 3.jpg (128.0 KB, 442 views)
File Type: jpg Cards Rochester 4.jpg (128.0 KB, 444 views)
File Type: jpg Cards Rochester 5.jpg (99.6 KB, 445 views)
Old 08-10-2022, 08:39 AM

Default " Team Issue "

.. I bought a group of these twenty years ago and at that time I was told they were a " Team Issue " handouts. I'll check which names I have . Tex Carleton , for sure . :

Old 08-10-2022, 09:04 AM

I've seen these several times, but will defer to others with more knowledge as to IDing the set.

I don't recall seeing the Ira Smith card before. His autograph has appeared on various period minor league team-signed items I've owned. Definitely looks like he was Native American! Never knew that.
Old 08-10-2022, 12:45 PM

Default Rochester

I live in Rochester and those show up here from time to time, I don't know where mine are at this point but there are either 9 or 10 in the set and from what I remember they were team issue. They aren't common but they aren't rare by any means as I've found them in a few different non-card collections (mixed in with other paper).
Old 08-10-2022, 02:41 PM
Rhett Yeakley

1930 Rochester Red Wings Team Issue. I had (9) different at one point with the obviously key subject being Billy Southworth.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 08-10-2022 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-10-2022, 04:36 PM
Tim Newcomb

Default Rhett is right - as usual

Where it comes to obscure BB issues, anyway I've been accumulating them for a while and I believe 9 is the total number in this set - Southworth being the missing one.
Old 08-10-2022, 05:35 PM
J@mes In.gram

"Specs" Toporcer is a very interesting and sad story. I would really like to get some kind of card, photo or something of him, as he was by all accounts a good and decent man.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 08-10-2022, 09:08 PM
Frank Wakefield

Rhett Y is correct about what they are... I know I have at least one, and I might have 3. From time to time I look for them with no result. If you try to sell them somewhere please contact me.

And James is right about Spec, he had a hard life, he was a ball player. I have a caramel card depicting him, and I have a signed index card.
Old 08-11-2022, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteymet View Post
Gent's:
This is nothing I collect but I just picked up the below what appear to be a Rochester Cardinals pre 1930 issue.
They are 8x10 blank backed and the players are: Joe Brown, Paul Florence, Paul Derringer, Tex Carleton, Rip Collins, Bob McGraw, Ira Smith and Specs Topopcor.
Does anyone have others of these? A checklist? etc. Any and all info appreciated
Oh, man, so you won that lot! I hadn't been collecting them either but thought they were a neat oddball issue and I tend to gravitate towards oddball issues if the price is right. I dropped out because I couldn't quite tell how damaged some of the photos were, and I think I might have been targeting another item that I eventually won. I think these aren't very common, especially in great condition, and maybe a few of these might actually in VG-EX condition so I think you still got it for a good price. As others have said, it's just a Southworth short of being a set. Enjoy!
Old 08-11-2022, 11:50 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
Rhett Y is correct about what they are... I know I have at least one, and I might have 3. From time to time I look for them with no result. If you try to sell them somewhere please contact me.

And James is right about Spec, he had a hard life, he was a ball player. I have a caramel card depicting him, and I have a signed index card.
Frank:

Since there are problems with notifications of PM's received I am writing here to tell you to check your PM file for a message I sent.