NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-05-2021, 09:04 PM

Default Reply to Alan

Hi, Alan. You have a lot in your post but I will try. Any member of the registry can request an item be added. PSA takes your request and makes a decision. There are clear rules on what is eligible. 8 months ago I had a bunch of WS Topps Cards with Brooks on them (1967 and 1971 Topps and O Pee Chee) but because they were not specifically about him they denied the request. I argued that his face was on the card but lost. Adding items can be very random. You can’t take 5 of the 12 player 69 Topps Stamp Panel with Brooks and send 5 in with Brooks with 6, 5,4, 3 and 2 player version stamps and expect to add each. You can only add the 12 and single. I tried to add the Clemente and Brooks 71 Dell dual stamp and was denied. They allow the single Brooks and 12 player panel. A lot of the team issued cards / photos are included but not all. I tried to add a few that were randomly denied. They are very random on test issues. Same with proofs.. I have a 10 player 61 Perforated Post sheet I would like to add but too big. I plan just submitted the 62 post cereal full panel for grading and once back, I will try to add. I am in search of the 61 post cereal full panel. The post cereal card variation is that the gray and white back? In terms of variations, that is a good question. For player masters, it is tough to do add variations that are not distinct as the peel offs. The Sportscaster with Italy variation I considered but have not followed through. I have a complete 1948 Leaf graded set on the registry and they do not permit many of the color variations out there except for the one hat color variation. Can’t explain it. Yes people do cut up Bazooka Boxes to add. Same with the Transogram boxes, action cartridge and milk duds. I cut up a damaged action cartridge but really struggled with it. The box was crappy on the back (really bad).. I have several Transogram and Bazooka boxes I would like to grade as boxes but like them raw for display. I hope this helps.
Old 01-06-2021, 05:29 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Mark:

We were out of town last week so I didn't get the opportunity to thank you for not only starting this post a year ago but also for sharing your fantastic collection of Brooks Robinson cards/proofs & memorabilia..You absolutely made 2020 a bit more bearable for me...I also enjoyed seeing everyone else's collection and made a few new friends along the way...

Phil Niekro also passed away last week & it reminded me of this HOF laminated credential from 2011....They opened a new exhibit (which is still there today) named "One for the Books" and it is all about record breaking achievements in baseball's history..

I drove up up for the Grand Opening primarily because Cal Jr. was going to speak (along with Joe Morgan & Niekro). I spotted HOF staff members wearing these credentials & of course I wanted one for my collection so I wrote them a letter the following week & they generously sent me one:

Again Mark thank you so very much!

Last edited by roarfrom34; 01-06-2021 at 05:30 AM.
Old 01-06-2021, 08:07 AM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chstrite View Post
Hi, Alan. You have a lot in your post but I will try. Any member of the registry can request an item be added. PSA takes your request and makes a decision. There are clear rules on what is eligible. 8 months ago I had a bunch of WS Topps Cards with Brooks on them (1967 and 1971 Topps and O Pee Chee) but because they were not specifically about him they denied the request. I argued that his face was on the card but lost. Adding items can be very random. You can’t take 5 of the 12 player 69 Topps Stamp Panel with Brooks and send 5 in with Brooks with 6, 5,4, 3 and 2 player version stamps and expect to add each. You can only add the 12 and single. I tried to add the Clemente and Brooks 71 Dell dual stamp and was denied. They allow the single Brooks and 12 player panel. A lot of the team issued cards / photos are included but not all. I tried to add a few that were randomly denied. They are very random on test issues. Same with proofs.. I have a 10 player 61 Perforated Post sheet I would like to add but too big. I plan just submitted the 62 post cereal full panel for grading and once back, I will try to add. I am in search of the 61 post cereal full panel. The post cereal card variation is that the gray and white back? In terms of variations, that is a good question. For player masters, it is tough to do add variations that are not distinct as the peel offs. The Sportscaster with Italy variation I considered but have not followed through. I have a complete 1948 Leaf graded set on the registry and they do not permit many of the color variations out there except for the one hat color variation. Can’t explain it. Yes people do cut up Bazooka Boxes to add. Same with the Transogram boxes, action cartridge and milk duds. I cut up a damaged action cartridge but really struggled with it. The box was crappy on the back (really bad).. I have several Transogram and Bazooka boxes I would like to grade as boxes but like them raw for display. I hope this helps.
Charlie,

Thanks for the attempt to answer my questions. I really appreciate it. I guess random is the best description. I find it hard to understand why PSA includes team cards, with the pic of Brooks so small, yet rejected the World Series cards where he is clearly the main subject.

The past few years, I've tried to complete some "master" Orioles team sets to include known variations. It's been a fun way to continue to enjoy some sets I thought I had long ago completed. I guess my definition of master is a bit different than PSA. I can understand the concept that one example of each card should be enough for the PSA registry, with perhaps bonus points given for having the additional variations.

Most if not all the 1962 Post Cereal cards have slight variations. I believe it was based upon which cereal they were on. You can see from my two cards that the Brooks Robinson photo is cropped differently. Those are the type of variations I was referencing.

1962 Post Cereal Brooks Robinson variations

1962 Post Cereal #1 - Copy.JPG

I seems to me that if members of the registry are the ones submitting additions, that some of the tougher Brooks Robinson items could easily be omitted.

Here are a couple examples of some very tough Brooks cards/photos

1958 Jays Publishing photo and 1976 English Chicken Lid

1958 Jays 11 - Copy.jpg 1976 Englsh Lids (SmallBrooks Robinson) - Copy.JPG

1964 Martin Family Night and 1970 Pictures of Champions cards

1964 Martin Family Night #4 - Copy.jpg 1970 Pictures of Champions #1 - Copy.jpg

Thanks again. Looking forward to your continued posts.
Old 01-06-2021, 04:20 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarfrom34 View Post
Mark:

We were out of town last week so I didn't get the opportunity to thank you for not only starting this post a year ago but also for sharing your fantastic collection of Brooks Robinson cards/proofs & memorabilia..You absolutely made 2020 a bit more bearable for me...I also enjoyed seeing everyone else's collection and made a few new friends along the way...
Bill,

You’re welcome! I was thankful that we were able to share our collections, learn new things (especially me...), and just share our common interests. Really neat to view others collections and the way they display their items.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:19 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Was going through some things & found this Rawlings booklet from 1964 showing both Ken Boyer & Brooks...

Anyone interested in this for $20 ppd?

DM me if intereted:

Old 01-07-2021, 08:54 PM

Default Alan - Feedback on PSA Master

Hi, Alan. They are great cards you posted. I appreciate the feedback. The team cards surprised me, too. I bet I have 2 team cards from each year to include the OPC, Vene, And 70s hand cut sheets. I have not seen the Family Night pic. I have the believe I have that post variation. I have upgraded so many post cards...crazy. I am looking for the 61 panel. Love them though. I found the Champion Card Set at a show and about passed out. Love that orange. I found the Chicken Lid about 2 weeks ago and sent to PSA. That lid is amazing. No chicken brooks lids are graded. I thought I had all the Jay Pubs but routinely find another. As I post in future, chime in with items that are variants. Thanks!
Old 01-10-2021, 09:24 AM

Default 1958 Brooks Robinson PSA Master

Hi, everyone. As promised, here is the 1958 Brooks Robinson PSA Master discussion for this week.

There are not a lot of items in the master for 1958. Technically, there are only 4 items but I included a 5th as I am working with PSA to resolve. The first three cards are from Topps. You have the alpha and numeric Baltimore Orioles Checklist. Interesting that they had two different ones for 1958. That is a discussion we could have separately. The other card is the Brooks regular Topps issue I love. This photo gets people talking with his "facial expression." I love this set and the Brooks card. It is graded pretty high (PSA 8.5). I would love a PSA 9 but the cost difference is probably $5,000 and I think folks are being speculative (last year a PSA 9 was under $3,000). The three "portraits" are from Jay Publishing dated 1958-1961, Type 1 Photos. The fielding one is in awesome condition while the other two are not where I would like them. They for whatever reason do not grade well. The Portrait with Brooks in the middle without a glove or bat is a separate authorization in the Master while the pose at chest level and the pose with the bat at chest level are considered interchangeable. I do not understand this and asked PSA to clarify or add a new authorization with the bat portrait. If you notice, both the middle Jay Pub and right Jay Pub say Portrait/Chest. I hope to resolve this soon. I will later show some 1962-1965 Jay Pub photos but is anyone aware of any other Jay Pubs between 1958-1962 I am not showing here. Similarly, is anyone tracking a Brooks item you think PSA would grade or not grade that fits nicely in 1958?

Hope you enjoyed this update. I will post a 1959 discussion next Sunday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1958 PSA Master.jpg (78.0 KB, 215 views)
Old 01-10-2021, 11:49 AM
Alan Strout

Charlie,

More nice items. I think I can help a little with the Jay Publishing photos. I've done a lot of research on the Orioles photos and posted the Brooks Robinson photos in post #1149.

You don't actually have the 1958 Brooks Robinson photo. I pictured it a few posts ago. The ones you have pictured from left to right are 1961, 1959-60 (I can't tell the difference between the two years, if there is even a difference) and 1962. You will notice the printed name is different on the 1962. It's the font that determines whether it's type 1 or type 2. Checklists usually lump the sets into 1959-1961 and 1962-1965, but with a little work the years can be broken down. I picked up most of my photos in original envelopes.

Jays Publishing didn't print Baltimore Orioles, only Orioles, on their 1957 and 1958 sets.

Here are a couple more early team issued Brooks items, you might find of interest. They are generally considered 1957-59. The exact year is hard to determine.

1957-59 Team Issued Postcards

195759 Postcards 14 - Copy.JPG

1957-59 Team Issued B&W 8x10 Photos

Robinson, Brooks 1 - Copy.jpg Robinson, Brooks 2 - Copy.jpg
Old 01-10-2021, 04:14 PM

Thank you, Alan. I agree on them not being 1958. PSA grades them as 1958-1961. I figured I would include them with the 1958 but see your point.

Thanks for showing the other ones. I have not had much luck with those but continue to look.

Did you see my email to you? Please respond.

Thanks for the feedback and sharing.
Old 01-10-2021, 04:50 PM
Alan Strout

Quote:

Did you see my email to you? Please respond.
Charlie,

I haven't seen any email yet. alanstrout@aol.com
Old 01-11-2021, 03:11 PM
Mike Magee

Default Larry Doby

Of all the Orioles players featured on this thread, I don't think a photo of Larry Doby has been posted yet.

He was briefly in the Orioles organization from Dec. 1957 - Apr. 1958, when he was traded to the Indians at the end of Spring Training. He never played a regular season game for the O's but I still think given his importance as a player, it's worth picturing his time with the organization here.

1958 Larry Doby photo.jpg
Old 01-11-2021, 03:42 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltOrioles View Post
Charlie,

More nice items. I think I can help a little with the Jay Publishing photos. I've done a lot of research on the Orioles photos and posted the Brooks Robinson photos in post #1149.

You don't actually have the 1958 Brooks Robinson photo. I pictured it a few posts ago. The ones you have pictured from left to right are 1961, 1959-60 (I can't tell the difference between the two years, if there is even a difference) and 1962. You will notice the printed name is different on the 1962. It's the font that determines whether it's type 1 or type 2. Checklists usually lump the sets into 1959-1961 and 1962-1965, but with a little work the years can be broken down. I picked up most of my photos in original envelopes.

Jays Publishing didn't print Baltimore Orioles, only Orioles, on their 1957 and 1958 sets.

Here are a couple more early team issued Brooks items, you might find of interest. They are generally considered 1957-59. The exact year is hard to determine.

1957-59 Team Issued Postcards

1957-59 Team Issued B&W 8x10 Photos

Attachment 434844
Alan,

Please send the Team Issued 8x10, with the rookie pose, to my attention when you have the chance.

Thanks in advance,

Mark
Old 01-12-2021, 04:22 PM
Bill H@e1ig

Learned today that infielder Don Leppert who played for the Orioles in 1955, passed away on January 5th at the age of 90. Shown is a wirephoto that Don signed for me probably 20 years ago or so:

Old 01-12-2021, 04:55 PM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Learned today that infielder Don Leppert who played for the Orioles in 1955, passed away on January 5th at the age of 90.
Bill,

Thanks for the update. Here are a few more Don Leppert items

Team Issued 8x10 Photos

Leppert, Don 1 - Copy.jpg Leppert, Don 2 - Copy.jpg

Team Issued Postcard

195455 Postcards 09 - Copy.JPG
Old 01-13-2021, 03:07 PM

Default Great Thread!

Any more rare Sam Bowens cards, photos, or stories?
Old 01-13-2021, 04:22 PM
Alan Strout

Default Sam Bowens Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcitysbr View Post
Any more rare Sam Bowens cards, photos, or stories?
Welcome. Here are a few Sam Bowens photos and postcards from his time in the Orioles organization. A few picture Bowens with the Rochester Red Wings.

Bowens, Sam (1963 Rochester Red Wings) - Copy.jpg Bowens, Sam - Copy.JPG

Bowens, Sam 1 - Copy.jpg Bowens, Sam 2 - Copy.jpg

Bowens, Sam 4 - Copy.jpg Bowens, Sam 5 - Copy.jpg

1966 Team 1 - Copy.JPG 196769 Postcards 06 - Copy.jpg

1964 Postcards 03 - Copy.jpg 1963 Scheible Press #2 - Copy.JPG
Old 01-14-2021, 05:06 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Similar to the Dayton Daily News Bubblegumless cards issue, this Charlotte Observer set was issued in 1982 (one player a week for 16 weeks):

A collector friend of mine shared these with me
Old 01-14-2021, 07:04 AM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Similar to the Dayton Daily News Bubblegumless cards issue, this Charlotte Observer set was issued in 1982 (one player a week for 16 weeks):

WOW !!! I've never seen those before, but I love them. Thanks for sharing. Anyone have any old 1982 Charlotte Observers they don't want?
Old 01-14-2021, 03:43 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:

Well those are VERY COOL. I’ve never seen those before either.
Old 01-17-2021, 01:35 PM

Default Brooks Robinson PSA Master Set 1959

Greetings. Today, I will share the 1959 PSA Master Set items for Brooks. 1959 has three entries. First, you have the 1959 Topps Card. This is tied as the highest graded card with PSA. There are no PSA 10s. Not a terribly expensive card and PSA 9s seem to be available all the time on ebay. The Orioles Team card from Topps is nothing special by way of grade. I am looking for a higher graded card but this one presents well and I love the "orange." The Venezuelan Orioles Team is rare but you can find them out there. Too bad they did not make a 1959 card of Brooks in Venezuela. The Venezuela cards are grade sensitive for many reasons. There are 7 graded higher than this Orioles team card. Anytime I find a nice Vene, I buy it. Things will start picking with many entries as we get into the 1960s. See you next week. Enjoy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1959 Brooks.jpg (83.0 KB, 173 views)
Old 01-17-2021, 02:16 PM

In 1979 my uncle took my late cousin and I to game 6 of the 1979 WS in Baltimore. My uncle was a big personality in our community and knew a lot of guys. He was friends with one of the Orioles Grounds Crew members and he helped get us tickets for the game. We had hoped to see the Orioles win the game / series but the Pirates had other things in mind. After the game, my uncle's friend gave my cousin a Belanger cracked bat and a ball from the game and he gave me a grounds crew shirt along with a ball. I am not sure but I think I cried all the way home that evening. I am not sure if it was because the Orioles lost or because my cousin got a bat from the Blade and I got a shirt from the guy raking the field. My uncle told me to stop crying and said, "clearly Belanger did not need his bat (meaning he could not hit) so he gave it to my cousin and my retort was, "what about the grounds crewmen, did he not need his shirt (meaning, what in the world was I going to do with that thing)." My cousin and I had a great time that evening despite the loss and he sure seemed to enjoy getting the bat and laughing at my "shirt." I pulled the shirt out recently and researched it a little. It appears the Orioles Grounds Crew wore white shirts during the 79 WS and could not find any pictures of this shirt. The shirt is in perfect shape and is at least 41 years old. On the inside of the shirt there is a label that has the #9 as it does on the pocket, the company that was on contract cleaning the shirt appears to be Rentex Services Corp, with what appears to be the name Garris. My cousin and uncle have both departed this life; not sure what happened to my cousin's Belanger bat, but if anyone knows Mr. Garris, please let him know he can have his shirt back. Enjoy the picture but not the story.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GC 1 Orioles.jpg (70.3 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg GC Orioles 1.jpg (12.7 KB, 180 views)
Old 01-17-2021, 04:14 PM
Alan Strout

Quote:
It appears the Orioles Grounds Crew wore white shirts during the 79 WS and could not find any pictures of this shirt. The shirt is in perfect shape and is at least 41 years old. On the inside of the shirt there is a label that has the #9 as it does on the pocket, the company that was on contract cleaning the shirt appears to be Rentex Services Corp, with what appears to be the name Garris. My cousin and uncle have both departed this life; not sure what happened to my cousin's Belanger bat, but if anyone knows Mr. Garris, please let him know he can have his shirt back. Enjoy the picture but not the story.
Charlie,

Let me know if you want to let it go. I might be interested.
Old 01-17-2021, 05:00 PM
Bill H@e1ig

Great top Charlie, I know I've posted this before, although I didn't get Belanger's bat either from the Series I did get his jersey (directly from the fan that The Blade tossed it to after the parade the next day):

Old 01-17-2021, 05:01 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Greetings. Today, I will share the 1959 PSA Master Set items for Brooks. 1959 has three entries. First, you have the 1959 Topps Card. This is tied as the highest graded card with PSA. There are no PSA 10s. Not a terribly expensive card and PSA 9s seem to be available all the time on ebay. The Orioles Team card from Topps is nothing special by way of grade. I am looking for a higher graded card but this one presents well and I love the "orange." The Venezuelan Orioles Team is rare but you can find them out there. Too bad they did not make a 1959 card of Brooks in Venezuela. The Venezuela cards are grade sensitive for many reasons. There are 7 graded higher than this Orioles team card. Anytime I find a nice Vene, I buy it. Things will start picking with many entries as we get into the 1960s. See you next week. Enjoy.
Charlie,

Awesome cards. While I’m usually not much into the team cards I really like the ‘59 Topps and Venz examples. Like you the orange background is super nice.
Old 01-17-2021, 06:20 PM

Default Belanger jersey

Bill, that is a great jersey. Did someone catch it and give it to you? Awesome. He was one of a kind. Saw him in the mid 80s at a Pny Leafue game (13-14) year olds with I think Dennis or Tippy Martinez. There boys were on the same team and he was really into it. If not mistaken, he had a cigarette in his hand, which surprised me. Anyway, he was the best. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-18-2021, 05:12 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Bill, that is a great jersey. Did someone catch it and give it to you? Awesome. He was one of a kind. Saw him in the mid 80s at a Pny Leafue game (13-14) year olds with I think Dennis or Tippy Martinez. There boys were on the same team and he was really into it. If not mistaken, he had a cigarette in his hand, which surprised me. Anyway, he was the best. Thanks for sharing.
The parade made its way to City Hall (or somewhere near that) and all the players & coaches were on a stage & at the conclusion, Belanger pulled his jersey off and tossed it directly to a young female fan who kept it for years before selling it to me a few years ago...

Unfortunately, I'm actually not surprised that Belanger had a cigarette in his hand at that game because we all know he died of lung cancer and in a documentary about him it was mentioned how much his family had been bothered by his smoking and had tried to get him to quit for years (unfortunately when he did, it was too late).

Last edited by roarfrom34; 01-18-2021 at 05:13 AM.
Old 01-18-2021, 07:20 AM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Unfortunately, I'm actually not surprised that Belanger had a cigarette in his hand at that game because we all know he died of lung cancer and in a documentary about him it was mentioned how much his family had been bothered by his smoking and had tried to get him to quit for years (unfortunately when he did, it was too late).
My understanding was that Belanger was a heavy smoker. I think we might be surprised how many players from our childhoods were smokers.

Belanger was from Pittsfield, Mass and when I was in high school (around 1973-74), he was a guest at a baseball camp I attended at Colby College in Waterville, ME. He was giving tips on fielding, not hitting. He was the first Oriole I ever met in person.

Here are a few Mark Belanger items through the years

B&W 8x10 Photos

Belanger, Mark 1 - Copy.jpg Belanger, Mark 5 - Copy.jpg

Belanger, Mark 9 - Copy.jpg Belanger, Mark 13 - Copy.jpg

Belanger, Mark 1.jpg

1963 Baltimore News-Post Scrapbook card & 1971 Baltimore Sun Poster

1963 Baltimore News-Post Scrapbook (Belanger, Mark) - Copy.jpg 1971 Baltimore Sun Newspaper Poster #8 (Mark Belanger) - Copy.jpg

1976 English Chicken Lid & Rawlings Sporting Goods Premium

1976 Englsh Lids (SmallMark Belanger) - Copy.JPG Belanger, Mark (Rawlings Sporting Goods) - Copy.jpg
Old 01-18-2021, 08:40 PM

Default Oriole / Belanger Photos and Jersey

Hi, Bill. Great story on the jersey. Belanger was a great Oriole. Love that bright Orange color along with the Bird on the hat those years.

Mark, the team cards are a pain. For the PSA Master there are over 30 because of the Topps regular version, hand cut version, OPC, mini, alpha / number version in 59, Vene. Dear Lord.

Alan, great photos of Belanger. I found a McNally my signed recently Rawlings advisory. I would like to find all the Orioles. I have all the Brooks ones. I found 3 Cuellar and 3 Palmer and a Holtzman Chicken Lids yesterday. Love the Belanger. I will hang on to the Grounds Crew shirt but would love to understand it’s origins.
Old 01-18-2021, 08:46 PM

Default 1970 Orioles Matchbooks - 3 short

Hi, everyone. I need Weaver, Floyd, and Hardin to complete this set. Would love another Brooks. I have a bunch extra in great shape if anyone wants to trade. This is a hard set to complete.
Old 01-18-2021, 09:29 PM
Alan Strout

Quote:
I found 3 Cuellar and 3 Palmer and a Holtzman Chicken Lids yesterday. Love the Belanger. I will hang on to the Grounds Crew shirt but would love to understand it’s origins.
Charlie,

The 1976 English Chicken set is cool. The lids came in two sizes. Cuellar, Palmer and Holtzman are the larger lids. They are much easier to find than the smaller lids. The smaller lids are very hard to complete. I've found the Brooks Robinson and Ross Grimsley lids some of the hardest to find. Here are pics of the 10 smaller lids.

I've got some dupe small lids back in Maine. I'll let you know what I have when I get home in the spring. No extra Brooks.

Last edited by BaltOrioles; 01-18-2021 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-18-2021, 11:26 PM

Default English Chick Lids extra

Alan, thanks for sharing this pick. Awesome.

I have 2 extra Palmer and Cuellar (larger lids) if any interested.

Charlie
Old 01-19-2021, 07:05 AM
Bill H@e1ig

I've always loved the English Chicken Lid promotions & wish they would have done it more seasons..

I know Mike showed his last year but here is my Chicken Lid point of sale counter sign (has an easel back) from '84:

Old 01-20-2021, 06:47 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Was both surprised and saddened to learn of the passing of Don Sutton yesterday. For most Orioles fans, the thought of Sutton most likely takes them back to the last game of the '82 season when the Orioles & Brewers had identical records and the winner of that final game was headed to the ALCS (not to mention it was to be Weaver's last game as manager).

Unfortunately, Sutton held the Orioles to only two runs and Robin Yount hit two homers as the Brewers won in a route...

Here are the lineup cards from that game:

Old 01-20-2021, 01:20 PM
Clint

Quote:
Was both surprised and saddened to learn of the passing of Don Sutton yesterday. For most Orioles fans, the thought of Sutton most likely takes them back to the last game of the '82 season when the Orioles & Brewers had identical records and the winner of that final game was headed to the ALCS (not to mention it was to be Weaver's last game as manager).

Unfortunately, Sutton held the Orioles to only two runs and Robin Yount hit two homers as the Brewers won in a route...

Here are the lineup cards from that game:

Yep Bill I remember it well. Cost Palmer his 4th Cy Young I believe. Glad they finished business the next year.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:04 AM

Default Brooks Robinson PSA Registry Master Set - 1960

Good Morning and Happy Sunday. This week's edition of the PSA Master Set for Brooks Robinson takes us to 1960. There are four Brooks items found in the 1960 Master. First, you have the 1960 Leaf Black and White Card. This card and the set are amazing. I have this set and the first series are plentiful while the second series can be tough to find. I find this card to be readily available in a very nice condition (I think I have several PSA 7 and 8s). I am showing you a PSA 8 condition. There are 1 at the PSA 8.5 grade and 7 at the PSA 9. I am constantly looking for a PSA 9. The next card is the 1960 Topps graded card of Brooks at PSA 9, which is the highest grade for this vintage of Brooks (there are 23 others graded at PSA 9 with no 10s). This card is pretty expensive. The 1960 set is full of color and the orientation of the card is really cool. The 1960 also has a Venezuelan version of Brooks for the first time. The one I have is 1 of 6 graded at the PSA 3 level and another one exists graded at PSA 4. The Vene's are pretty expensive and hard to find above the Poor Condition. The Venezuela cards do not typically grade high given the poor paper stock. Finally, the PSA 8 Topps Orioles Team Card. There are over 100 of the PSA 8s and another 6 PSA 9s. This card is plentiful. Not my favorite Orioles card from the 1960s. Next week, I will show you the 1961 items and the numbers will begin to climb, as promised.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1960 BR.jpg (20.3 KB, 155 views)
Old 01-25-2021, 05:43 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Good Morning and Happy Sunday. This week's edition of the PSA Master Set for Brooks Robinson takes us to 1960. There are four Brooks items found in the 1960 Master. First, you have the 1960 Leaf Black and White Card. This card and the set are amazing. I have this set and the first series are plentiful while the second series can be tough to find. I find this card to be readily available in a very nice condition (I think I have several PSA 7 and 8s). I am showing you a PSA 8 condition. There are 1 at the PSA 8.5 grade and 7 at the PSA 9. I am constantly looking for a PSA 9. The next card is the 1960 Topps graded card of Brooks at PSA 9, which is the highest grade for this vintage of Brooks (there are 23 others graded at PSA 9 with no 10s). This card is pretty expensive. The 1960 set is full of color and the orientation of the card is really cool. The 1960 also has a Venezuelan version of Brooks for the first time. The one I have is 1 of 6 graded at the PSA 3 level and another one exists graded at PSA 4. The Vene's are pretty expensive and hard to find above the Poor Condition. The Venezuela cards do not typically grade high given the poor paper stock. Finally, the PSA 8 Topps Orioles Team Card. There are over 100 of the PSA 8s and another 6 PSA 9s. This card is plentiful. Not my favorite Orioles card from the 1960s. Next week, I will show you the 1961 items and the numbers will begin to climb, as promised.
Charlie,

Those examples look awesome. While I typically not a big fan of the horizontal format the ‘60 Brooks is an exception. Think Topps used two cool shots for this card.

Who doesn’t love the B&W Leaf!
Old 01-26-2021, 03:17 PM
Alan Strout

Default Ron Johnson passes

I just saw where former Norfolk Tides manager Ron Johnson passed away from COVID-19 complications at age 64. He never got the credit he deserved for putting the Orioles needs ahead of keeping the Tides competitive. Who doesn't remember the pitching staff shuttle from Norfolk to Baltimore.

Ron was always great to talk to at spring training. He often would coach 1st base when Wayne Kirby was unavailable (split squad games, etc).

Ron Johnson team issued 8x10 photo

Johnson, Ron 1.jpg
Old 01-27-2021, 04:50 AM

Default !969 Rawlings

Finally got around to sending this card in to see if it was "Real". i was happy when it came back slabbed.

It is the only one graded. The only other card graded from this issue is a Reggie Jackson. Mantle is part of this set too.

Not sure how this card was distributed or where it came from.
All I know that there is very few of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_090.jpg (31.6 KB, 133 views)
Old 01-27-2021, 06:50 AM
Bill H@e1ig

20 years ago this week, Cal Ripken Jr. gave a talk in York (PA)....I was fortunate to attend as well as to grab one of the advertising broadsides (11x17) as well:

Last edited by roarfrom34; 01-27-2021 at 07:23 AM.
Old 01-27-2021, 06:57 AM
Mike Magee

Scott,

That is such a great card. I hope to find one someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcrab View Post
Finally got around to sending this card in to see if it was "Real". i was happy when it came back slabbed.

It is the only one graded. The only other card graded from this issue is a Reggie Jackson. Mantle is part of this set too.

All I know that there is very few of them.
Old 01-27-2021, 04:05 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcrab View Post
finally got around to sending this card in to see if it was "real". I was happy when it came back slabbed.

It is the only one graded. The only other card graded from this issue is a reggie jackson. Mantle is part of this set too.

All i know that there is very few of them.
very nice!
Old 01-27-2021, 06:31 PM

Default 69 Rawlings

Nice card, Scott. Please put me in your will!
Old 01-31-2021, 08:04 AM

Default 1961 Brooks Robinson PSA Master Set

Good morning! Hope everyone living in the Maryland area is enjoying the snow. This week I will share my 1961 Brooks items in the PSA Master Set. There are 8 items in the Master in 1961. One of my favorite vintages are the Post Cereal Cards. The 1961 Post Hand Cut Card is plentiful. You can find them out there but they can be hard to find above a Excellent. The one here is nice. The perforated version is tied for the highest graded. The hand cut card was taken from the back of a cereal box. I look daily for a 1961 Cereal Box featuring Brooks (I have the 62 and 63 box panels). At this grade the single hand cut card and perforated cards can be pretty expensive. I included the ungraded 1961 Orioles Post Cereal Perforated Sheet. This sheet is amazing and I can't find anything wrong with it. It is very fragile and would love to have it graded but PSA does not grade anything above 11 inches. This rare sheet of all the Orioles for 1961 is over 12 inches so thought to show. Next, is the 1961 Brooks regular Topps Card. This card is the highest graded but has 80 peers. No PSA 10s. It is easy to find but it will cost you. The 1961 set is one of my favorites. The Orioles Team Card is nothing special but finding a PSA 9 or 10 is tough and can be a bit pricy. The 1961 All Star is one of my favorites. I always loved finding a second card of Brooks with the All Stars. This was his first All Star Card from Topps. PSA 9s are out there and there are 2 PSA 10s. The Topps Stamps in 1961 are another first for Brooks. You have the single stamp and the 2 stamp version with John Buzhardt. Years ago I believe I removed the tab and submitted to PSA (why would I do that?). The single stamp is the highest graded with 3 others at PSA 8. The final item in 1961 is the Manny's Baseball Land photo. This photo eluded me for a long time and finally bought it from a fellow Brooks Collector (by the way, the collector I bought it from is number one on PSA with Brooks). I overpaid for this photo but had to have this picture with that vintage Oriole Bird on his sleeve. Here, I show a PSA 3 and surprisingly, the only copy graded higher is a PSA 4. I believe each team had a pack you could buy through the Manny Baseball Land Catalog in 1961. I have seen the Phillies and Senators but never a Oriole pack...would love to find one if it exists. This picture is out there but not as easy as you would think. I have several others (signed and unsigned) but not as nice as this one. Next week's post with 1962 will be more exciting as the number of items start to climb with many different item types.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1961 Brooks PSA Master.jpg (78.7 KB, 116 views)
Old 01-31-2021, 03:51 PM
Bill H@e1ig

Snowy day in PA here as well and was going through some items & ran across this TWCC Country Time Drink Mix set of Brooks which I believe came out in '93:

Old 01-31-2021, 06:18 PM
Alan Strout

Default 1961 Brooks Robinson Photos

Charlie,

You have some very nice 1961 items. Here are a few more from 1961 that aren't on the PSA registry.

Team Issued Postcards (Regular and Thin Paper Version)

1961 Postcards 04 - Copy.jpg 196164 Postcards (Thin) 02 - Copy.jpg

Team Issued B&W 8x10 Photo and 5x7 Stadium Pack Photo (Not Jays Publishing, team name is Orioles not Baltimore Orioles)

Robinson, Brooks 3 - Copy.jpg 1961 Stadium 05 - Copy.jpg
Old 01-31-2021, 06:26 PM
Alan Strout

Quote:
There are 8 items in the Master in 1961. One of my favorite vintages are the Post Cereal Cards. The 1961 Post Hand Cut Card is plentiful. You can find them out there but they can be hard to find above a Excellent. The one here is nice. The perforated version is tied for the highest graded. The hand cut card was taken from the back of a cereal box. I look daily for a 1961 Cereal Box featuring Brooks (I have the 62 and 63 box panels). At this grade the single hand cut card and perforated cards can be pretty expensive. I included the ungraded 1961 Orioles Post Cereal Perforated Sheet.
Charlie,

I love the Post Cereal cards too. Just a side note, but if you look closely the box and company cards have different photo croppings. You can see more fingers on his bat on the box version, compared to the perforated company cards.
Old 02-01-2021, 06:39 PM
John
John Pur.cell

A lot of my Baltimore collection is pre-war. These are my Doc Adkins cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2021, 06:42 PM

Default Brooks 1961

Hi, Alan. Thanks for sharing the 1961 Post Cards/Pictures. I am not so familiar with all of them but have some. Over the past couple of years I have added as many as 30 items to the master and hope to add more. I just sent in the 1957-1959 Orioles Team Issued Post Card. PSA can be a bit difficult with the post cards and photos so keep your fingers crossed. I will continue to add more. I do feel guilty adding so many items because it makes it difficult for collectors with less time and money. Thanks for sharing the information about the photo cropping / finger difference between the two 1961 Post Cereal versions, too.
Old 02-02-2021, 08:27 AM
Bill H@e1ig

It's being reported that former Orioles LHP pitcher Grant Jackson has sadly passed away due to complications from COVID.

I got this PC signed probably 30 years ago when Jackson came through Reading as a pitching coach for the Pittsfield Cubs. I asked Grant if he liked pitching for the Orioles and his response (with a smile) was "I liked pitching for every team I played for."

RIP Grant

Old 02-02-2021, 12:18 PM
Alan Strout

Quote:
It's being reported that former Orioles LHP pitcher Grant Jackson has sadly passed away due to complications from COVID.

RIP Grant
Bill,

Thanks for the update. It seems we are losing former Orioles at an increasing rate. I remember Grant as mostly a relief pitcher and a pretty good one for the Orioles. I was surprised to see he was a starter a couple years with the Phillies and threw over 250 innings for them in 1969.

I guess this must be opposite day. Bill posts a team issued postcard and I'll post a game used jersey of Grant Jackson.

1974 Grant Jackson Road Gray Jersey

1974 JerseyRoad Grey #23 (Grant Jackson) A - Copy.jpg 1974 JerseyRoad Grey #23 (Grant Jackson) B - Copy.jpg

A couple B&W Team Issued 8x10 Photos

Jackson, Grant 4 - Copy.jpg Jackson, Grant 2 - Copy.jpg