NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-21-2020, 12:35 PM
Eric Perry

Default Buying cards from Canada on eBay

Potentially dumb question:

If I buy a card on eBay, and the seller is in Canada, do I pay any additional charges? I understand the item price and listed shipping cost. Just making sure there are no customs fees, etc.

Pardon my ignorance. I'm expanding my horizons a bit (stepping out of the "USA only" mindset) and want to figure this out before bidding on something.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 11-21-2020, 12:48 PM
Adam Wan.aselja

I’ve only made 1 purchase from Canada and incurred no additional fees. The card took 5 or 6 weeks to arrive though.
Old 11-21-2020, 12:55 PM
Trey
Tr.ey Bu0y

Pretty sure what's listed is what you pay. I've bought from across both ponds and that's how it has worked. Great way to get cards more obtainable in other places like the Goudey World Wide Gum cards up north. Be ready for potentially really long shipping times as packages can and do get held up. Another challenge can be sellers that aren't great at English if you have questions.

Sometimes a foreign seller has really high shipping and sometimes it's less than USPS, go figure.

Last edited by oldeboo; 11-21-2020 at 01:09 PM.
Old 11-21-2020, 04:26 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I buy from Canada all the time, living in Michigan it never seemed like a notion to not or to worry as it’s just next door.

Never had a problem, just don’t knock a seller on shipping time as in Covid times items can sit in customs for sorting. It’s not the sellers fault. As to additional taxes or customs fees, there are none.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 11-21-2020, 04:41 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
I buy from Canada all the time, living in Michigan it never seemed like a notion to not or to worry as it’s just next door.

Never had a problem, just don’t knock a seller on shipping time as in Covid times items can sit in customs for sorting. It’s not the sellers fault. As to additional taxes or customs fees, there are none.
Perfect. Thanks for the info.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 11-21-2020, 05:38 PM
�tis J�hns�n

I don't buy from Canada often, but when I do I always ask the seller to double check my address before mailing. Here's why: Several years ago I made a sizable purchase ($3000) from a Canadian seller. Time passed and no cards. Dozens of emails and five months later I got a refund. Turns out the shipment was lost, evidently because the high school intern who packaged and mailed it didn't know what a ZIP code was. At least that was the story.
Old 11-21-2020, 05:51 PM
J1m Fr@n.tzis

Americans have an $800 duty free limit from Canada. Anything over that may be taxed.
I ship USPS first class through a third party company. My shipments get there in a third of the time and at a third of the cost compared to shipping with Canada Post.
There are many options up here now that allow a seller to use USPS, I just don't know how many card sellers use them.
Old 11-21-2020, 06:07 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim F View Post
Americans have an $800 duty free limit from Canada. Anything over that may be taxed.
I ship USPS first class through a third party company. My shipments get there in a third of the time and at a third of the cost compared to shipping with Canada Post.
There are many options up here now that allow a seller to use USPS, I just don't know how many card sellers use them.
Highly informative. Thank you.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 11-21-2020, 06:12 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggs336 View Post
I don't buy from Canada often, but when I do I always ask the seller to double check my address before mailing. Here's why: Several years ago I made a sizable purchase ($3000) from a Canadian seller. Time passed and no cards. Dozens of emails and five months later I got a refund. Turns out the shipment was lost, evidently because the high school intern who packaged and mailed it didn't know what a ZIP code was. At least that was the story.
Seller of a $3,000 item allows a high school intern to package and ship it? Their story doesn't hold water, in my opinion.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 11-22-2020, 07:49 PM
Eric Perry

So, it turns out I was the only one who bid on this card. What a thrilling experience. See a card I like, enter a max bid, win the auction, complete payment. I'm absolutely thrilled!

AND THEN...

(come on, you didn't think it would end there, did you?)

Within minutes after I paid, the seller cancelled this sale. They sent me a message, claiming they couldn't find the card, thought they had ended the auction early, etc. Oh well...c'est la vie.

I left negative feedback, put them on my blocked bidder list, and am now moving on.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra