NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-14-2009, 09:03 AM
Matt Wieder

Default VCP Charging CCs Today

Anyone who signed up for a 1 year membership last year in the few days right before VCP upped their prices might be interested to know their CC was automatically charged today or will be charged shortly for another year.

I thought perhaps an email asking if I wanted to re-up would be in order instead of just automatically running my card.

Last edited by Matt; 08-14-2009 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:05 AM
Barry Sloate

I agree Matt. Everybody should be given the option to renew or cancel. Nobody can remember when their one year membership is about to expire. I sure don't.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:25 AM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Pretty sure anyone wanting to cancel could drop Bobby an email and they would be refunded immediately.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:01 AM
Joann

I tried to do a quick mental tally of those items in my world that hit cc's automatically without notice or asking if I want to renew. It took me about two seconds to come up with:

Sirius satellite radio
AAA Auto Club (annual)
Web hosting
Cardpricer
Safe deposit box annual rental

I know there must be more, but this is what I came up with in literally < 10 seconds of thinking.

It's in the Agreement Terms in all of them, and I'm sure in VCP's as well. It's also a fairly common practice. Although a reminder would be a nice touch (my AAA has surprised me for a few years in a row, since it is on an otherwise unused card), it's not required and probably not practical. I ususally think it's on me to remember when I've entered an agreement that includes auto-renewals or subscription fees.

J

Last edited by jmk59; 08-14-2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:05 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmk59 View Post
I tried to do a quick mental tally of those items in my world that hit cc's automatically without notice or asking if I want to renew. It took me about two seconds to come up with:

Sirius satellite radio
AAA Auto Club (annual)
Web hosting
Cardpricer

I know there must be more, but this is what I came up with in literally < 10 seconds of thinking.

It's in the Agreement Terms in all of them, and I'm sure in VCP's as well. It's also a fairly common practice. Although a reminder would be a nice touch (my AAA has surprised me for a few years in a row, since it is on an otherwise unused card), it's not required and probably not practical. I ususally think it's on me to remember when I've entered an agreement that includes auto-renewals or subscription fees.

J
I wasn't suggesting it was illegal.

Do any of the one's you mentioned raise the rates on you automatically when they renew?
Old 08-14-2009, 10:07 AM
Barry Sloate

I just got the invoice for my safe deposit box. I can keep it for another year, or close it. No automatic charges.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:24 AM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Hmmm...if it would make both Matt and Barry happy I am certain we could beat up Bobby at next years National? Seems fitting, no?

Is it me or are there more and more threads where people just want to vent, as I am now doing? Seems some threads could be and should be handled privately. Reflects poorly on the board as a whole but I sense most don't recognize that.

Back to the all important Banning of Brandon Brown thread...Good stuff boys!
Old 08-14-2009, 10:28 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by botn View Post
Hmmm...if it would make both Matt and Barry happy I am certain we could beat up Bobby at next years National? Seems fitting, no?

Is it me or are there more and more threads where people just want to vent, as I am now doing? Seems some threads could be and should be handled privately. Reflects poorly on the board as a whole but I sense most don't recognize that.

Back to the all important Banning of Brandon Brown thread...Good stuff boys!
You missed the point - the contract renews automatically and as Barry mentioned most people probably weren't on top of exactly when their contract ran out. The point of the post was to let people know; not sure how that could have been done via private email...
Old 08-14-2009, 11:14 AM

I dislike it, but automatic renewal if the customer doesn't cancel is not an uncommon practice these days. It has to be a part of the original contract the customer agreed to for it to be valid. It's also best if it's clearly pointed out, not just part of the fine print. I belong to a health club that 'renews' monthly, and, to their credit, they clearly pointed out how it worked when I signed up.

Last edited by drc; 08-14-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:20 AM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I wasn't suggesting it was illegal.

Do any of the one's you mentioned raise the rates on you automatically when they renew?
Matt,
I did get an in-mail notice from XM stating when my CC would be charged for each radio and the price increase bc of a new fee for some kind of broadcasting rights charge.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:51 AM
Paul

Default I'm not...

...recommending one thing or another, but I will say that I really appreciated this thread and made sure to address my membership accordingly.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 08-14-2009, 12:03 PM
Bobby Binder

When ever a person signs up to our site there is a button they have to click on saying you agree to be automatically charged when your current term expires unless you cancel. If you do not agree to it then you will not be able to proceed. In the My VCP pulldown tab under account gives you your membership status and when your account expires, here as well you can cancel your membership if you so choose. There have been numerous times that a member has forgotten to cancel and contacted me and I refunded there membership fees.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:15 PM
Scott S

I talked to Bobby last week when my membership expired and got re-charged without my knowing. I'm fine with the membership for now, but wish I had a heads-up of a $179 expense coming my way.

What I did (based on Bobby's suggestion) was cancel my membership on VCP, which will run through next August 2010. So when next August rolls around, my card won't be automatically charged, and I can decide what to do at that time. That way, I won't be surprised by any credit card charges for $179.

Last edited by scooter729; 08-14-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:04 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

I love this thing., Especially for my XM radio subscription. When the auto-bill kicks in, the acct number's AWOL. The lady in Jamaica then calls me to renew and BINGO, another annual discount.

'Now, Citi card members can register their existing Citi credit card on the Citibank website to access virtual, randomly assigned card numbers. These numbers are connected to the card members existing account but are for one-time usage when shopping online. This way, the card member's real account number is never used in an online purchase transaction.'
Old 08-14-2009, 02:39 PM
John

Default Aol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmk59 View Post

Sirius satellite radio
AAA Auto Club (annual)
Web hosting
Cardpricer

J
When i saw your list i immediately thought of AOL (America Online) I remember when they were the be all end all of the getting online (though I never used them). I can remember hearing from multiple friends that AOL would actually renew their memberships on the cc's up to one month prior to the subscription ending. And to top off that AOL was notoriusly difficult to get to actually cancell your membership.....meaning you would actually tell the customer service operator to cancel your membership yet your cc would continue to get billed. i have two friends that actually cancelled their cc in order to top AOL from continuing to hound them. Wow... I had not thought of AOL for several years until this. Are they even still around??
Old 08-14-2009, 02:43 PM
John

Default xm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
Matt,
I did get an in-mail notice from XM stating when my CC would be charged for each radio and the price increase bc of a new fee for some kind of broadcasting rights charge.
yep another new fee for monthly and yearly subscribers. my suggestion, lifetime membership for $500 flat and it includes the best of sirius channels as well. free internet access with it to. xm/sirius....the best tech device which has come into my life within the last few years by far!! no questions about it!

Last edited by showtime; 08-14-2009 at 02:45 PM. Reason: i'm a bad speleer ;-)
Old 08-14-2009, 03:21 PM
Dan Paradis

Just as an FYI, my VCP membership auto renewed last Feb. I knew I wasn't going to be buying to much this year, so I called and asked if I could have the amount credited back to my card. They did not allow a refund.

I'm not complaining since I knew ahead of time that I was on auto renew (just forgot about it). This is in reference to the post that said "Pretty sure anyone wanting to cancel could drop Bobby an email and they would be refunded immediately". Of course, in my business I would have given the credit, but I guess I understand their position.

Oh, and thanks for the reminder. I just canceled my membership effective 2/2010.

Dan

Last edited by DanP; 08-14-2009 at 03:25 PM.