NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-29-2008, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Default End of a Great Era....tell us of your PHILLY SHOW experiences ?

Posted By: Pennsylvania Ted

The end of an era....of the greatest of Sports Collectibles Shows in the hobby....promoted by its founder, Bob Schmierer.
Thank you Bob for 33 years of extraordinary experiences in this hobby; and, the fond memories that I will never forget.

The Show will continue under new management in the Valley Forge, PA area.

For my take on that "mysterious" 1949 Leaf Hal Newhouser card, check-out my post on James Feagin's thread.

Net54 posters and readers that visited with me (in order of appearance)....we did some nice deals and had great con-
versations.

Dan & Dad McKee
Levi Bleam
Jay Wolt
Toby Peterson
Jodi Bjorkholm
Andy H.
Ryan H.
Patrick Preece
Drew
Jim Rivera
Keith
Dave & Don Seaborn
Jeff Mohler
Keith & Seth Thompson
Jimmy
Andy
Mel (Texasholden)
Scott Latsko
Danny Grimes
Mike Peich

"Me and Danny McKee"....sounds like a Janis Joplin song....highlighted the show for me on Sunday with a large T-card
deal. Thank you Dan....you're the greatest.

Show and/or Tell us of your pick-ups at this Reading Show ?

Shown here are some of my acquisitions....I a acquired from "walk-ins" a T206 Chance (bat) with a LENOX back and a
Broad Leaf 350 McGinley......

And, another addition to my Yankees wirephoto collection. Joe D being greeted by Keller, Rizzuto, and Stirnweiss......
who Joe D drove in with his Grand Slam in 1946.

Show and/or Tell us of your pick-ups at this Reading Show ?

And, share with us some of your interesting moments at the past Philly Shows ?

TED Z

Old 09-29-2008, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

The show was a great time,

it was very nice meeting a few group members including you Ted

thanks for Friday night Toby, good beer and food!

I picked up some boxing cards and some nice Spalding Catalogs as well

Jimmy

Old 09-29-2008, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

JIMMY

Great talking with you.....I should have shown you some of my Boxing cards.

TED Z

Old 09-30-2008, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Memories....memories....all those fabulous Philly Show memories

Please feel free to share with us your Philly Show memories dating back to the original Spring Garden College days (1975-77),
or Willow Grove (1978-1992)....or Ft. Washington (1993-2006)....or, Reading (2006-2008).

Looking forward to your responses.

TED Z

Old 09-30-2008, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

Ted,

I would have taken a look, I deal with a lot of boxing items

maybe next time

Jimmy

Old 09-30-2008, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott L

Ted

Just a quick note to say that it was great to be able to talk to you again at the show. You're always quick with an e-mail whenever I have a question about the Monster and for that I am truly grateful.

Best,

Scott

Old 09-30-2008, 08:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: AndyH

I had a great time at this show. I plan to see some of you at the next one as well.

A couple pick ups...

This one knocked a nice card off my Jersey City wantlist. I'm slowly bringing them all home.

Thanks to Ted Z. for these next two.

Thanks,

Andy

Old 10-01-2008, 07:22 AM
Administrator

Great meeting you and I'll be on the look-out for more of these purple stamped T206's.

Regards,

TED Z

Old 10-01-2008, 07:32 AM
Administrator

This is by no means my most memorable Willow Grove experience; however, it is certainly quite
noteworthy.

Early on the Friday's of the Show, many of us would arrive at the George Washington Motor Lodge
by noon; and, start our "wheeling-n-dealing" in our motel rooms. The show didn't start till 5 PM on
Fridays.
It was the March (or September) Show of 1987 when Bill Mastro was shopping around from room to
room a T206 Honus Wagner card. This was not the usual Vg type Wagner that most of us had seen
before. It was a really "sharp" looking copy of this famous card.

I looked at it, and several other collector/dealers that were in my room looked at it. We were all
amazed at its condition......and, at the same time thought that Bill's asking price of $25,000 was
a little too much to pay for it. Up until then, prior Wagner's had sold for less than 20K.

In any event, this Wagner card certainly generated quite a "buzz" throughout the Willow Grove
show that entire weekend.

Several years later, we were to find out that this Wagner sold for $110,000. Subsequently, many
of us were at Sotheby's when it went for 451K to Wayne Gretzky.....and, the rest of the story is
history.

Perhaps, 25K would have been a nice investment that day back in Willow Grove, Pennsylvania.

T-Rex TED

Old 10-01-2008, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Hey guys and gals....I could run this thread over 100 posts talking about all my interesting PHILLY SHOW experiences.

But, I rather hear yours....so, please share them with us ?

TED Z

Old 10-01-2008, 07:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bigfish

My stories are more recent... I have picked up the following cards over the last 4 shows. N172 Mcphee SGC 10, E102 Cobb SGC 50, E96 Marquard SGC 80, N172 Hecker X2, Us Caramel GRove SGC 60, Mayo Anson, N172 Brouthers/Galvin/Chicken Wolf, and a bunch of rare backs. Had lots of fun at Legends with Dan McKee, Jimmy, Barry, Chuck B, Joe T, Tony, Gene, Levi, Darrel from Ontario,Bagger, among others. Always nice to see old stuff and have a chance to talk with folks face to face.....

Old 10-01-2008, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bobw

A few memories from Willow Grove:

- The first year I had a table was 1984 or 1985, I forget, and my neighbors were Ted Lanting to my right, non sports Dick Sikes to my left with Levi and Jim behind me. Halls Nostalgia was across the aisle against the wall. There was NO space behind the 6 foot tables.

- My first stay at the four star "George Washington Motor Lodge".

- Every show on Friday night in the coatcheck room by Ernie Montella's table there was a uniform collector whose name I believe was Jay and he would show me items from his game worn flannel collection. I remember him showing me Rogers Hornsby's St Louis Browns uniform.

- Not being able to move in the aisles because of the crowds.

- One year there was a rainstorm during set up and water was pouring in the back door and soaking peoples stuff.

- One year ex Dodger Wes Parker had a table selling Dodger photos.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Thanks for your Philly Show stories.

Hey Net54er's....let's here some more stories ?

TED Z

Old 10-02-2008, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Bob- I remember the show where the water was pouring into the room during that rainstorm. It was in the corner where Ron Oser's table was.

I also remember my motel room leaking, and having ants crawling on the counter. It was quite a place, but we didn't seem to mind.

Old 10-03-2008, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

Teddy -- I always loved your trivia displays.

Doing the BHN tables for several years in the 1980's and having to have to explain to my Dad that his brand new Mini Van would not have a door for a while. (Not my fault; some girl driving her drunken boy friend home had never driven a stick before -- and that might have been been the last time too.)

Setting up with Mel Solomon and then going to what was then the largest bowling alley in the world -- in Willow Grove no less.

All the friends I met and kept in contact with there.

If I had to name everyone -- I'd run out of space:

But here are a few:

Ernie Montella, Jerry, Etta and Mike Hersh (sic); Bill Bossert; Walt C from Baseball Hobby News; Barry Etsell; Mike Gallela, etc. tons more (I'll add more names later)

Eating at various places in the area. One meal I think was with Frank Barning; the late Rich Hawksley and a few other hobby heavyweights. I, being a young upstart; had specific orders for a waitress at the diner we went to -- and then Hawksley made us all laugh -- when because he was so tired; he just said -- whatever he just ordered -- do the exact same for me.

The Boston Sea Party up the road from the old Willow Grove show. My lord, what a buffet. (if you think food is important to me, you are dead on)

And then I did not go to WG/FW for about 8 years -- I loved the 2nd location of the show for the amenities but the magic was never quite the same

More later

Regards
Rich

Old 10-03-2008, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Hey RICH KLEIN

The Boston Sea Party....now that was a really fabulous restaurant. It was one of the best seafood restaurant
franchises in the country in the 1970's and 1980's. I dined at one in Denver, in Carol Stream (IL), in Cherry Hill
(NJ) and all four were consistently great. All you could eat buffet, consisting of three piers....Appetizer pier....
Seafood pier....Dessert pier.

Ah, my TRIVIA board.....you were the "Trivia King".....I could never stump you on BB trivia.....EXCEPT once.....
I stumped on my Johnny Sain trivia quiz.

Rich....these two Philly Show souvenirs should evoke some very fond memories for you.

Thanks for the memories,

TED Z

Old 10-04-2008, 04:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

I found a table many years ago full of George C Miller cards. I hadn't completed my first set yet so I was real fired up to find these. I worked a deal with the dealer and pulled out my check book. He stated that he didn't know me and that he wasn't comfortable taking my check. I said you have to be kidding, everyone knows me and my father. So I thought for a minute, and understood the dealer's decision. I proceeded to go over to my good friend Al Rosen who always has cash so that I could write Al a check and take the cash to the dealer. Al walked over to the dealer's table with me and said "Dan is good as gold, take his check". The dealer took my check and completed my first GC Miller set.

Thanks for taking my check Ted Z! I still have everyone of those Millers your sold me!

Old 10-04-2008, 07:54 AM
Administrator

ME and DANNY McKEE......Janis Joplin (ca. 1969)

Gee....you're not going to let me forget that....you love to "bust my chops" on that one.

I will bet you, that every time you look at all those George C. Miller cards I sold you (at a "give-
away" price), that you recall that event at my table at the Ft. Washington show....and .

All I can say in my defense back then......is that, this deal was just after a deal I had with some
one else. Who gave me a large check that "bounced"; therefore, for several weeks I was "gun-shy"
on accepting anyone's check.

Hey Dan....have you ever seen that many Geo. C Miller cards, since our deal back then ?

TED Z

Old 10-04-2008, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

Have never seen that many since at a table Ted. And there is no reason at all to defend your self, you did nothing wrong at all but yes, I will ride this wave forever! My good friend! Can't wait for the new Venue! I merged with my memorabilia buddies to save some table costs. Damn near National money now!!!

Old 10-05-2008, 03:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

it has been by far, the best show on the east coast. i spend 6 months selling off extra or unwanted items on ebay trying to make as much extra money as possible to spend there and as everyone knows the headaches that can come from selling on ebay, once you enter that wide open area with endless tables of vintage treasures, it makes all the headaches worth it! So has anyone heard of when they are going to have the next show, and if it is still going to be at the reading expo center?

Old 10-05-2008, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay wolt

The next show (#101) is scheduled in March at the Valley Forge Convention Center

Old 10-05-2008, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan P.

I spent many enjoyable weekends at the show both as a collector and dealer (usually set up next to Ted Z). The first card show I ever attended was the last one at Spring Garden College in 9/77 (I live in the area). The one bad experience occured in the late 80's. A fellow I used to deal with without problems called me and said "I have a Briggs Mantle I'd like you to sell on consignment for me." I had never dealt with Briggs before but agreed to help him. I forget what condition the card was in but it was at least ex. The guy told me what he wanted to get for the card (about 80% of Beckett based on condition) and anything over that amount I could get was mine to keep as my commission. I took out an ad in SCD and listed this card along with some of my stuff. The Briggs card sold to a local customer. We spoke on the phone about completing the transaction and we decided to complete this at the Willow Grove show 2 weeks later. I then called Mitch (the guy whose card it was originally) and told him what was going on. On Friday night of show weekend I showed up to setup my table. The customer (I forget his name) came by and paid cash for the card. Mitch came by and I paid him off. Then the customer came back and said he wasn't happy with the card and wanted a refund (he claimed the card was "fake"). I refunded his money and got the card back. I figured Mitch would refund my money. He didn't (he claimed that as far as he was concerned the card was legit and the sale was final). After I finished setting up my table I walked around the room and showed the card to several dealers that dealt heavily in that type of card (most likely some of the same dealers my customer spoke to). The conclusion I drew was that this Mantle was cut off of an advertising piece and was the same size as the regular card. At that time, Bob Schmirer, the show's promoter, had an auction on Saturday as soon as the dealer area closed (John Scott, now of Huggins & Scott, ran the auction). On Saturday morning I showed the card to Scott and gave it to him for the auction. I stayed at the auction long enough to see the card sell for a decent amount, then Ted and I went out to dinner. On Sunday morning I saw Scott and asked him what his policy was to pay off the consignors. He said we had a problem: David Festberg was the winning bidder (I knew him from his SCD ads but never met him). Festberg obviously shopped the card around before paying for it and showed it to all the same people my customer and I showed it to. They all said "the card's a fake--I don't want it". Festberg walked out without paying and I got the card back. Scott and I eventually worked a deal for the card.