NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 07-31-2021, 04:30 PM
Steve

Default Identity concerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
At my age when I look in the mirror in the morning I often think "that just can't be right"
Yeah, me too - I find that it helps if you don't turn the lights on.
Old 07-31-2021, 06:40 PM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Meh this.
You should have posted another card, Peter .... the 59 Musial is the epitome of meh.

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 07-31-2021, 08:23 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
You should have posted another card, Peter .... the 59 Musial is the epitome of meh.
He even looks like he's saying 'Meh'. Probably foreshadowing the season he was about to have; he showed up to spring training overweight and turned in such a clunker he took a 20% paycut the following year.
Old 08-01-2021, 07:49 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
Least Favorite: 1955 Bowman

Solely because we were robbed of a Mantle in the beautiful 1955 art style, and while the tv set has grown on me, I still can't bring myself to fully like it.
Did you mean Topps?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-01-2021, 08:24 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Did you mean Topps?

I realized my explanation wasn't particularly clear on this one, but yes more or less. Because of the whole contract situation with players and the card companies back then, and Mantle being with Bowman, we were deprived of a 1955 topps card of his, in that art style, was what I was trying to say.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 08-11-2021, 09:47 AM
G@nn0n
G@nnon As.ip

I don't have one favorite set, but I do have favorites. And I could choose other sets for some of these.

That being said:

Overrated: I'm going to say, Topps cards after 1974. When the '74's came out, I thought to myself, "Yeah well, they're nice enough, but they're too similar to the '73's with the white border". I stopped collecting after '74. While 1975 was a little different, Topps got into this white border thing. There wasn't enough of a difference really, in my opinion, between the sets. One could kind of make that argument about 1954 - 1956, and to some degree 1968-69. But the white border thing just went on and on. They got too generic.

Underrrated: The 1968 Topps set. I have a sentimental feeling about the set, because it was the first I really collected. I had collected a little bit in previous years, but '68 I really amassed a lot of cards. I wish I could describe the feeling that I got from looking at all the different cards. MLB was all new to me and each card had a feeling about it. From looking at the blue of the Dodgers team and the colors of the Pirates team card, to the cards of Herman Franks and Alvin Dark. I loved the backs of those cards as well. Oh, Ed Mathews has 509 home runs...he must be good! Each card was a world unto itself. The burlap borders were just fine with me, thank you very much.

Favorite: There are so many great sets. As I said, I could never just pick one. At this moment I'm feeling the 1969 Topps. I could also have put this under "Underrated". What an amazing design, and the pictures - they got them so right. The set is sort of an offshoot of the 1968 set, but it sort of clarifies that set. Again, some of the photos are great. The World Series run from that year was also one of their best, if not their best.

Least favorite: 1962 Topps. I was just never into the wood grain border thing. The cards are somber and not uplifting at all. If I had been collecting then, I would have been hoping and waiting for a better design the next year!

Last edited by jgannon; 08-12-2021 at 09:01 AM.
Old 08-12-2021, 07:51 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Yeah, the wood grain sets don't do it for me at all. 1955 B, 1962 T, even 1987 T, none of them. If they never do that style again I won't miss it.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-12-2021, 08:33 AM
Al Richter

The appeal of the 62s extends far into the future

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0ge...j3NMDzGroMPdY-
Old 08-12-2021, 09:26 AM
Michael

Overrated: 1952/1953 Topps.
I don't care for the art look. Give me photos.

Underrated: 1963 Fleer.
Nice design. I wish they would have had the opportunity to issue a complete set before the bully jumped in.

Favorite: 1961, 1962, & 1963 Post.
These are the cards I collected as a kid. Went to the commissary with my mom to pick out cereal boxes based on the cards I needed. Of the three years, the '63 have my favorite design.

Least Favorite: See Overrated.
Old 08-12-2021, 10:49 AM
Al Richter

Topps did not enjoin the Fleer 63 effort. There are several FTC proceedings in that period that discuss Fleer's complaint's about Topps' anti competitive behavior. Topps mostly prevailed. There are also sales figures in them indicating the Fleer 63 set did not sell well. A second series was originally planned and dropped.

The Topps contracts with players were exclusive only as to marketing the player's image with gum and confections, hence the Leaf 1960 marbles and Fleer 1963 cookies. It appears when it came to horrible gum or tasteless cookies, the market picked gum

I agree with you Mike that the 63 Fleer set is a very nice set, but like the great Bowman 1953 Color set which was also truncated, it was not a market success at the time

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 08-12-2021 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-12-2021, 03:09 PM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Topps did not enjoin the Fleer 63 effort. There are several FTC proceedings in that period that discuss Fleer's complaint's about Topps' anti competitive behavior. Topps mostly prevailed. There are also sales figures in them indicating the Fleer 63 set did not sell well. A second series was originally planned and dropped.

The Topps contracts with players were exclusive only as to marketing the player's image with gum and confections, hence the Leaf 1960 marbles and Fleer 1963 cookies. It appears when it came to horrible gum or tasteless cookies, the market picked gum

I agree with you Mike that the 63 Fleer set is a very nice set, but like the great Bowman 1953 Color set which was also truncated, it was not a market success at the time
Everything I've seen written about the Fleer/Topps issue says Topps forced Fleer to stop. Here's an example:

https://waxpackgods.com/1963-fleer-baseball-cards/

Not having seen the actual legal papers (and not being a lawyer I probably wouldn't be able to translate it to human , sorry lawyers, I couldn't resist), I've always gone by second hand accounts. I did a quick search for something on it (hence the link above) and came up with squat regarding the 1963 case. I did find a legal document regarding the later suit that Fleer won and which paved the way to the '81 Fleer and Donruss sets.

Oh well, another myth shattered?
Old 08-12-2021, 07:26 PM
G@nn0n
G@nnon As.ip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Yeah, the wood grain sets don't do it for me at all. 1955 B, 1962 T, even 1987 T, none of them. If they never do that style again I won't miss it.
Interestingly, I do like the '55 Bowmans though! I like the style of the pics and can deal with the wood grain in the style of a TV. I also like the backs of those cards. I like the ones with the stories a lot.
Old 08-12-2021, 07:39 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgannon View Post
Interestingly, I do like the '55 Bowmans though! I like the style of the pics and can deal with the wood grain in the style of a TV. I also like the backs of those cards. I like the ones with the stories a lot.
If you take away the wood grain on the 62's and just look at the photography there are some really great images in that set.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 08-12-2021, 07:56 PM
G@nn0n
G@nnon As.ip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
If you take away the wood grain on the 62's and just look at the photography there are some really great images in that set.
Good point.