NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-20-2015, 04:41 PM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

Default Beckett (BVG) Holder Questions

I know most folks aren't huge Beckett (BVG) fans, but I was wondering if any of their holders have ever been faked, or if anyone has ever found a fake card inside of a BVG holder. I recall this happening with PSA holders a few years back, but I don't recall ever reading about this type of thing happening with BVG (or SGC for that matter). Thanks in advance...
Old 01-21-2015, 09:16 PM

BVG holders are tamper free. PSA and SGC holders can be tampered with.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:48 AM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

I do not remember the exact issue, but I have heard of at least one fake pre war card in a BVG slab, put there by Beckett.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:02 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387
Default beckett

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewing View Post
I do not remember the exact issue, but I have heard of at least one fake pre war card in a BVG slab, put there by Beckett.

It still amazes me that Beckett was SUCH a leader in price evaluations in the 1980s.you would think they had a huge lead in credibility to be the THE third party grader.....somehow they let that slip by....

people in their 40s and older who just got back into the hobby..actually are shocked when learning BVG stands where they do...they always assume initially BVG is the leader....
Old 01-22-2015, 09:13 AM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

Thanks for the replies gentlemen; I appreciate it. It's my understanding that no one has discovered any faked BVG holders, but that there could be a fake card inside of one of the holders if one of the graders made a mistake. It's also my understanding (mainly from reading) that Beckett seems to be extremely popular with the newer card/autograph collectors, but not so popular with the vintage collectors...
Old 01-22-2015, 11:06 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Default All About The Benjamins

BVG has a better product, no doubt. It is more secure and better at preserving the contents. But PSA with the registry rules the high-numbered slab arena and SGC has a strong prewar following. Any time a BVG slab shows up with a marquee card in it people wonder why it isn't in PSA or SGC. I've thought about sending them stuff but I just can't see taking the potential financial hit if I ever go to sell.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-22-2015 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:16 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Dramatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
It still amazes me that Beckett was SUCH a leader in price evaluations in the 1980s.you would think they had a huge lead in credibility to be the THE third party grader.....somehow they let that slip by....

people in their 40s and older who just got back into the hobby..actually are shocked when learning BVG stands where they do...they always assume initially BVG is the leader....
I must have missed that "official survey" done of over 40s that got back into the hobby. I'll have to look around for that.

IMO Beckett is a solid grading company. I have sent hundreds of cards to all 3 major companies and they all have pros and cons. Many of which can be found on Net54.

To say that "folks are shocked" is a bit of a stretch. Beckett is a solid grading company that has airtight and attractive holders in which cards do not move around in.

I still use all 3 TPGs as each has its own areas of expertise.

Peace, Mike
Old 01-27-2015, 08:33 PM

Default bVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
BVG has a better product, no doubt. It is more secure and better at preserving the contents. But PSA with the registry rules the high-numbered slab arena and SGC has a strong prewar following. Any time a BVG slab shows up with a marquee card in it people wonder why it isn't in PSA or SGC. I've thought about sending them stuff but I just can't see taking the potential financial hit if I ever go to sell.
Weren't Becket holders the only ones hat had UV protection also? I remembered reading that on here before, but don't know if that is completely true. I have cut open a number of Beckett holders to liberate cards and find them the hardest to open. I actually had to cut them with a chop saw. They were completely sonic welded around the entire card...almost impossible to open with any other means. There is no need to look for frosting in these holders, unlike PSA holders, as I doubt you could ever pry open a holder without damaging the cards.

I just happen to prefer ungraded cards....so opened the BvG holders.

Z Wheat
Old 01-28-2015, 11:23 AM
Wes.ley Wh.ite

Buy the card, not the holder.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:36 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Nole View Post
Buy the card, not the holder.
Unless you are the one having the card put into a holder...

I am really considering having BVG slab my 'never gonna sell them' items as it seems to be the best way to preserve them.

Or not...
Old 01-29-2015, 10:56 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Unless you are the one having the card put into a holder...

I am really considering having BVG slab my 'never gonna sell them' items as it seems to be the best way to preserve them.
Adam, I am glad you said that. I find myself looking at BVG more than I used to. I rarely send in anything for grading, but I might consider BVG if I did. Those holders are difficult to bust open. From time to time, I have seen what I believe to be good buys on cards residing in BVG holders.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:00 PM
Bill Gregory

Beckett slabs are built like Fort Knox. I've never seen a fake card in one of their slabs, but most of the cards I have seen in their slabs have been modern, I must confess, as I generally only look to Beckett graded cards for modern cards. For vintage or pre-war, I go with PSA or SGC. I just feel they are more accurate with their grading.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:39 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgmsc View Post
I must have missed that "official survey" done of over 40s that got back into the hobby. I'll have to look around for that.

IMO Beckett is a solid grading company. I have sent hundreds of cards to all 3 major companies and they all have pros and cons. Many of which can be found on Net54.

To say that "folks are shocked" is a bit of a stretch. Beckett is a solid grading company that has airtight and attractive holders in which cards do not move around in.

I still use all 3 TPGs as each has its own areas of expertise.

Peace, Mike

Yes you are right PSA had the same following as Beckett in the 1980ss..lots of high schooler in 1980s carried PSA and not Becket Guides

its obvious PSA should of dominated the grading market compared to beckett given how nobody knew anything about beckett in the 80s

You can use all 3 TPGs as much as you want...but look at VCP for psa versus beckett...I would be shocked if beckett outperformed PSA....people new to the hobby from the 80s are shocked ..people who know beckett and never heard of PSA... but you are right I 100% wrong cause no survey..
Old 01-29-2015, 02:01 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Oh, I agree that you will leave money on the table with BVG vs. PSA or SGC in the issues where those TPGs are entrenched, but that's not really what we were kicking around. I am thinking of BVG for items I do not want to sell because the slab itself is so much better constructed and the cards are individually mylar bagged inside. The cards I've amassed of my cousin, for example, aren't going to be sold out of our family, so for their long term enjoyment the BVG slab would seem to be the right choice.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-29-2015 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:08 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Oh, I agree that you will leave money on the table with BVG vs. PSA or SGC in the issues where those TPGs are entrenched, but that's not really what we were kicking around. I am thinking of BVG for items I do not want to sell because the slab itself is so much better constructed and the cards are individually mylar bagged inside. The cards I've amassed of my cousin, for example, aren't going to be sold out of our family, so for their long term enjoyment the BVG slab would seem to be the right choice.
I hear ya, Adam. I realize if I were actively buying and then selling cards often, I would lose money going the BVG route as opposed to PSA or SGC. However, I can live with getting less for a card in a BVG slab if I absolutely had to sell one. This doesn't happen to me much. I just tend to buy cards and keep them. Chances are any BVG card I did sell would be one that resided in the BVG holder to begin with (because I am not likely to submit cards for grading ). So, I would be ok with getting less than I might for an approximately equal PSA card because I gave less for it because it is in the BVG holder.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:57 PM
David $tephens

Old thread, but it struck a chord with what I am about to do. I have moved a lot of my PSA cards and SGC cards. A lot of what I am left with are raw cards that I truly love and plan to send to my kids when the time is right so I'm gonna send about 15 raw cards to Beckett. I had only had one BVG and it was a frickin Tank. A few quick questions though.

1. How are the grading standards compared to SGC and PSA?
2. I have a few PSA cards with MK qualifiers, how bad are they with those?
3. Is their registry getting better?
4. How is their service?
5. Anything I should absolutely NOT send them?
Old 05-17-2016, 10:59 PM
Ryan Waggoner

For a second I thought, well I'll just collect all the cards I want in BVG slabs, I'm not going to resell them anyways, and I'd rather have them as secured as possible and less likely to be fakes, but then I realized that nobody goes to BVG so how am I gonna get all the cards I want?
Old 05-17-2016, 11:12 PM
David $tephens

Does BVG crossover?

Last edited by Pilot172000; 05-17-2016 at 11:14 PM.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:45 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Grading standards are similar; they're a little more forgiving on cards that would get qualifiers from PSA, I believe. I have never seen anyone talk about getting their cards on the Beckett registry. So I don't know how good it is. I know a lot of people use the pop reports there for modern (Bowman Chrome/Draft).

Send them what you want. They will definitely have a crossover option and not crack it if they don't think it will cross to whatever min grade you set. One of their best grading options is when you send in bulk orders, I think for $2/card, you can set a min grade (like 9 or 9.5) and they will only slab those cards that make the grade at the full price for a grading ($10-12 or whatever). The ones that don't make the grade will come back raw, but only be charged $2/card for the inspection.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:17 AM
Ryan Waggoner

It would go a long way, in the looks department, if they would redesign their info plate. It looks about as bland as bland can be. Spruce the dang thing up and make it look cool!

Last edited by TheNightmanCometh; 05-18-2016 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:50 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
Yes you are right PSA had the same following as Beckett in the 1980ss..lots of high schooler in 1980s carried PSA and not Becket Guides

its obvious PSA should of dominated the grading market compared to beckett given how nobody knew anything about beckett in the 80s

You can use all 3 TPGs as much as you want...but look at VCP for psa versus beckett...I would be shocked if beckett outperformed PSA....people new to the hobby from the 80s are shocked ..people who know beckett and never heard of PSA... but you are right I 100% wrong cause no survey..
That's very impressive for a company that opened in 1991........

Steve B
Old 05-19-2016, 07:10 AM
Rich Klein

Back in the day when I was still at Beckett, we had an article of how cards in BGS holders survived Hurricane Katrina.

I agree that putting your cards into those holders for protection purposes is a great idea.

Rich
Old 05-20-2016, 03:42 PM
David $tephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Grading standards are similar; they're a little more forgiving on cards that would get qualifiers from PSA, I believe. I have never seen anyone talk about getting their cards on the Beckett registry. So I don't know how good it is. I know a lot of people use the pop reports there for modern (Bowman Chrome/Draft).

Send them what you want. They will definitely have a crossover option and not crack it if they don't think it will cross to whatever min grade you set. One of their best grading options is when you send in bulk orders, I think for $2/card, you can set a min grade (like 9 or 9.5) and they will only slab those cards that make the grade at the full price for a grading ($10-12 or whatever). The ones that don't make the grade will come back raw, but only be charged $2/card for the inspection.
Genius!!
Old 05-20-2016, 03:48 PM
David $tephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
Back in the day when I was still at Beckett, we had an article of how cards in BGS holders survived Hurricane Katrina.

I agree that putting your cards into those holders for protection purposes is a great idea.

Rich
When I started collecting, I had only SGC for my cards after a while I went to PSA because I liked the sleeker thinner card holders and the lack of Black border. I have noticed that I don't have much trouble selling my PSA cards, but fear that they are flimsy, especially considering I have three very curious boys ages 9 to 2. I had one BVG card and while I did not like the card or its grade, I found the holder flawless. I was very heavy, but indestructible. I sent 8 cards into Beckett on the 18th and am anxiously waiting to see the results. While I have no aversion to PSA or SGC, I buy the card, I think that I gonna grade my keepers in the BVG. After all I live in Louisiana and it is Hurricane Season!

On another note, I couldn't find where I could send in a large bulk amount of cards for like $2 on their site.
Old 05-20-2016, 04:12 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Send a PM to NickM about the grading special and min grade mark. I think he does more grading of that sort with BGS. The "The Modern Baseball Card Investor" book by Hwang also goes into it. It's a good read.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.