NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: REA 1914 Babe Ruth vs 1952 Rosen Topps Mantle?
Ruth sells for more than the Mantle 134 62.04%
Ruth sells for less than the Mantle 60 27.78%
Ruth sells for roughly the same as the Mantle 22 10.19%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-15-2023, 07:58 AM
Drew W@i$e

Default Poll: Final Hammer Price - 1914 BN Babe Ruth vs the 1952 Rosen Topps Mantle

REA will be auctioning a 1914 Baltimore News Babe Ruth in their upcoming auction: https://robertedwardauctions.com/baltimore-news-ruth

What do you think the final hammer price will be compared to the 1952 Rosen Topps Mantle, which sold for $12.6 million in Heritage in August 2022: https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ttering-record

Babe sells for more, less, or roughly the same?

Last edited by parkplace33; 11-15-2023 at 08:05 AM.
Old 11-15-2023, 08:02 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
REA will be auctioning a 1914 Baltimore News Babe Ruth in their upcoming auction: https://robertedwardauctions.com/baltimore-news-ruth

What do you think the final hammer price will be compared to the 1952 Rosen Topps Mantle, which sold for $12.6 in Hertiage in August 2022: https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ttering-record

Babe sells for more, less, or roughly the same?
That's quite a range in one post. $12.60 to $126,000,000.00
I guess decimal points are important.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 11-15-2023, 08:05 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

I think it sells for more. The inflated grade from SGC will help.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 11-15-2023, 08:05 AM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
That's quite a range in one post. $12.60 to $126,000,000.00
I guess decimal points are important.
Post updated.
Old 11-15-2023, 08:06 AM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
I think it sells for more. The inflated grade from SGC will help.
I am in the camp of it will sells for less (my guess is closer to 10 million). Great card, but I think interest is down from the peak.
Old 11-15-2023, 08:13 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
I am in the camp of it will sells for less (my guess is closer to 10 million). Great card, but I think interest is down from the peak.
Do you think all the publicity will help?

I think the rarity of the card, especially compared to 52T Mantle, should contribute to a higher price.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 11-15-2023, 08:24 AM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Do you think all the publicity will help?

I think the rarity of the card, especially compared to 52T Mantle, should contribute to a higher price.
Publicity can never hurt

It will be interesting for sure.
Old 11-15-2023, 08:57 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

I think and hope it sells for more.
Estimate $15 million

Both cards iconic but so many Mantles at all grade levels and the difference from the 7’s on up is so little and so few Ruth.

I am also biased as a Ruth collector. But so many Mantles both in selection and quantity out there. And the ‘52 though amazing looking and considered iconic it is his second year card.

Baltimore news 1914 Wow

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph

Last edited by mrreality68; 11-15-2023 at 09:02 AM.
Old 11-15-2023, 09:16 AM
pete ullman

i think the ruth will sell similarly to the mantle...in light of the timing...values are down a little since the mantle sale.
Old 11-15-2023, 09:17 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Skin in the game

These threads about the price of cards that the overwhelming majority of us can never bid on or afford should be coded.

If you have ever purchased a card for more than $100,000.00 post your comment in green.

If you haven’t ever purchased such a card, then post you opinion in red.

If you don’t know how to change the color of your post, I’m not interested in your opinion either.

Those who are willing to have skin in the game matter or they are fools.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 11-15-2023 at 09:18 AM.
Old 11-15-2023, 09:42 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

I'm not really convinced that the general cardboard market has an impact here. Does anyone really think that the bidders will set their max bid based on how the general cardboard market has been trending lately? I'm not seeing it.

This seems like a relatively straightforward competition. A crazy rare item, (arguably?) a rookie card, of the game's most well-known player. Get all the biggest fat cats from our world with virtually limitless resources together and they start bidding. It's anyone's guess when they will stop.

Given all of the advertising around this auction, it's not like a serious potential bidder is going to miss it. So it's really just a question of how high the last 2 bidders are willing to go, and when does the underbidder finally tap out?

The final price will likely boil down to psychology and how emboldened that underbidder is feeling at the moment. There are theories around here that crazy rich people are disciplined and not susceptible to the same sorts of emotions and passions as us commoners. But I would argue they're just as human as the rest of us. Trouble with the wife (or mistress), a drop in their company's stock price, a lawsuit that just took a turn for the worse, and the bidder is likely to be just a little less determined. But a few of them will go nuts because they decide they can't live without this piece. Since their bank account balance starts with a B, they won't be constrained by petty resource limitations like us mortals.

Personally, given how infrequently these come onto the market in any condition, I'm taking the over. I wouldn't be surprised if it hit $20M, and it might even blow that away.

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 11-15-2023, 10:11 AM
Eric Pugh

My guess: $17,750,000
Old 11-15-2023, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
I'm not really convinced that the general cardboard market has an impact here. Does anyone really think that the bidders will set their max bid based on how the general cardboard market has been trending lately? I'm not seeing it.

This seems like a relatively straightforward competition. A crazy rare item, (arguably?) a rookie card, of the game's most well-known player. Get all the biggest fat cats from our world with virtually limitless resources together and they start bidding. It's anyone's guess when they will stop.

Given all of the advertising around this auction, it's not like a serious potential bidder is going to miss it. So it's really just a question of how high the last 2 bidders are willing to go, and when does the underbidder finally tap out?

The final price will likely boil down to psychology and how emboldened that underbidder is feeling at the moment. There are theories around here that crazy rich people are disciplined and not susceptible to the same sorts of emotions and passions as us commoners. But I would argue they're just as human as the rest of us. Trouble with the wife (or mistress), a drop in their company's stock price, a lawsuit that just took a turn for the worse, and the bidder is likely to be just a little less determined. But a few of them will go nuts because they decide they can't live without this piece. Since their bank account balance starts with a B, they won't be constrained by petty resource limitations like us mortals.

Personally, given how infrequently these come onto the market in any condition, I'm taking the over. I wouldn't be surprised if it hit $20M, and it might even blow that away.
This!

It’s a rounding error for the crazy rich with a MUCH steeper upside by acquiring. Imagine just 2 of the many Fortune 500 CEOs who wants this on display at their HQ or personal collection. Imagine the international investor or royal with endless capital. Imagine 1 of hundreds of PE firms clamoring for this. Imagine a loaded movie star with power and influence?

The question isn’t how much will this go for, but will this or a PSA 10 1952 Topps Mick be the first $100MM card we witness in our lifetimes?
Old 11-15-2023, 11:07 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

An hour in and it's already at $4.5 million.
Old 11-15-2023, 11:11 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
An hour in and it's already at $4.5 million.
Before the juice, natch.

Bidding increments are at $250K? Won’t take long to get to $10M+…

Old 11-15-2023, 11:39 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunswickreeves View Post
This!

It’s a rounding error for the crazy rich with a MUCH steeper upside by acquiring. Imagine just 2 of the many Fortune 500 CEOs who wants this on display at their HQ or personal collection. Imagine the international investor or royal with endless capital. Imagine 1 of hundreds of PE firms clamoring for this. Imagine a loaded movie star with power and influence?

The question isn’t how much will this go for, but will this or a PSA 10 1952 Topps Mick be the first $100MM card we witness in our lifetimes?
The world has always had a lot of uber wealthy people but how many of them ever spend on baseball cards? Why would it happen now, on this card? Not the first Balto News Ruth by any stretch.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-15-2023, 12:01 PM

Fair enough, but not sure last time this was offered to the public, so with the recent crazy run up and proliferation of cards as an asset mindset, unlike Wagner T206 with 60+ copies typically offered 1 up annually, this Ruth is much more scarce and of a player with better public name id, so poised to smash records.
Old 11-15-2023, 12:05 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunswickreeves View Post
Fair enough, but not sure last time this was offered to the public, so with the recent crazy run up and proliferation of cards as an asset mindset, unlike Wagner T206 with 60+ copies typically offered 1 up annually, this Ruth is much more scarce and of a player with better public name id, so poised to smash records.
Who knows, all speculation, but my speculation is that the uber wealthy outside the hobby are buying art and race horses and real estate and whatever and don't venture into sports collectibles and likely won't. I think the buyer of the Ruth will be within the hobby.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-15-2023, 12:38 PM
Todd Schultz

I know there have been times when we withhold bidding on cards we know one of our hobby friends is chasing. I hereby announce that this is one of those times, and I want my dear friends here to know that I will not be bidding on either the Mantle or Ruth cards, so you may bid away knowing that I am not running up your costs.

You're welcome.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 11-15-2023, 12:43 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Who knows, all speculation, but my speculation is that the uber wealthy outside the hobby are buying art and race horses and real estate and whatever and don't venture into sports collectibles and likely won't. I think the buyer of the Ruth will be within the hobby.
I share your suspicions.

My guess is that one of the fat cats that has a PSA 10 52T Mantle will decide they can’t live without this card and will go nuts.

Why now? They don’t come along every day. There are a few others, but you might have to wait a while for another to come along. And these buyers are probably not all that young. So they might not get too many more bites at this apple.

Also, $20M ain’t what it used to be.

Last edited by raulus; 11-15-2023 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-15-2023, 01:14 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I share your suspicions.

My guess is that one of the fat cats that has a PSA 10 52T Mantle will decide they can’t live without this card and will go nuts.

Why now? They don’t come along every day. There are a few others, but you might have to wait a while for another to come along. And these buyers are probably not all that young. So they might not get too many more bites at this apple.

Only three people have a PSA 10. Kendrick, not sure if he is still adding. Fogel, I would doubt it, he more likely is making plans to downsize. The third anonymous guy bought in 2001 so that purchase does not at all suggest he is that wealthy. He paid chump change, 250 or so I think.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 11-15-2023 at 01:17 PM.
Old 11-15-2023, 01:18 PM
Jeremy

Kendrick almost won the World Series. He should be spending that money on Blake Snell or Juan Soto.
192/240 1933 Goudeys (Ruth #144, #149, Gehrig #92)
126/208 T205s
28/108? Diamond Stars
Old 11-15-2023, 01:23 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Only three people have a PSA 10. Kendrick, not sure if he is still adding. Fogel, I would doubt it, he more likely is making plans to downsize. The third anonymous guy bought in 2001 so that purchase does not at all suggest he is that wealthy. He paid chump change, 250 or so I think.
OK. So not those 3 guys specifically. But similarly-minded collectors who view themselves as being a big deal, and who happen to have more money than they can spend in this lifetime.

Old 11-15-2023, 01:29 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
OK. So not those 3 guys specifically. But similarly-minded collectors who view themselves as being a big deal, and who happen to have more money than they can spend in this lifetime.
Maybe some of the internet millenials will get bored buying 1 of 1 Lukas and LeBrons and go after a real card.

Old 11-15-2023, 01:33 PM

I wonder what the likelihood is that a major serious bidder may actually represent a group of investors collectively going in on this card, or even a corporation.
Old 11-15-2023, 01:35 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Maybe some of the internet millenials will get bored buying 1 of 1 Lukas and LeBrons and go after a real card.
I could see someone like Rubin buying it and taking it on tour to promote Fanatics. Would be a convenient business expense.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 11-15-2023, 02:03 PM
Mike Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
I could see someone like Rubin buying it and taking it on tour to promote Fanatics. Would be a convenient business expense.
How much would it be worth if he cut it into 25 pieces to make inserts for next years Topps Definitive release?
Old 11-15-2023, 02:08 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touch'EmAll View Post
I wonder what the likelihood is that a major serious bidder may actually represent a group of investors collectively going in on this card, or even a corporation.
I don't see the corporation idea taking off.

For a big corporation, they've got more important things to do than fuss with baseball cards. They go around disclosing that they spent 8 figures on a baseball card and every shareholder will jump on a suit for going beyond the corporate mandate to dabble in nonsense. And if we're talking about a smaller corporation, then why wouldn't the owner just buy it for themselves?

I guess you could have a group. But I think a lot of that has died down with the collapse of a lot of the fractional ownership platforms. Obviously someone could put together their own little club deal with their buddies. But I would wonder why they would go to all that trouble.

I suppose anything is possible, but these seem less likely to me.

Old 11-15-2023, 02:36 PM
James M

Quote:
I share your suspicions.

Just my hunch, but I think after this auction concludes, another of these cards is going to surface at an auction next spring.
Old 11-15-2023, 03:32 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I don't see the corporation idea taking off.

For a big corporation, they've got more important things to do than fuss with baseball cards. They go around disclosing that they spent 8 figures on a baseball card and every shareholder will jump on a suit for going beyond the corporate mandate to dabble in nonsense. And if we're talking about a smaller corporation, then why wouldn't the owner just buy it for themselves?

I guess you could have a group. But I think a lot of that has died down with the collapse of a lot of the fractional ownership platforms. Obviously someone could put together their own little club deal with their buddies. But I would wonder why they would go to all that trouble.

I suppose anything is possible, but these seem less likely to me.
Better than spending that much renovating the CEO's office.

Old 11-15-2023, 04:56 PM
Eric
E.ric Bau.mh0er

Tay-Tay could easily by this ,
Christmas present for uncle Travvy
Old 11-15-2023, 05:16 PM
Mike Henry

Next time I submit to SGC, I'm going to ask Brent Martin if they can re-grade a few of my cards on the "Baltimore News" curve. I could turn a few of those 1s into 5s.
Old 11-15-2023, 05:31 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunboat82 View Post
Next time I submit to SGC, I'm going to ask Brent Martin if they can re-grade a few of my cards on the "Baltimore News" curve. I could turn a few of those 1s into 5s.
When you own a company, you can do what you want.

Old 11-15-2023, 06:03 PM
qualitycards

Quote:
So you're saying that you are gonna make a play on it?
Cool, hope ya win it
Old 11-15-2023, 06:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
So you're saying that you are gonna make a play on it?
Cool, hope ya win it
When REA does a reprint I'll be all over it.

Old 11-15-2023, 06:22 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

A reasonable person would think that SGC just blatantly juicing the grade on any marquee card they get would start to hurt them and their reputation, but as it's the card hobby this is a feature instead of a problem.

The Mantle was not a 9.5, and this ain't a 3. Really awesome cards, it doesn't get much cooler than this Ruth. I'm sure whoever the new owner ends up being won't care the slab they dropped $10M for is a lie.
Old 11-15-2023, 06:36 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
A reasonable person would think that SGC just blatantly juicing the grade on any marquee card they get would start to hurt them and their reputation, but as it's the card hobby this is a feature instead of a problem.

The Mantle was not a 9.5, and this ain't a 3. Really awesome cards, it doesn't get much cooler than this Ruth. I'm sure whoever the new owner ends up being won't care the slab they dropped $10M for is a lie.
The fanboys don't care. But yes the man on the street is treated differently than friends and family.

Old 11-15-2023, 06:43 PM
James M

Quote:

if i win the bidding i will crack it out and put it in my binder
Old 11-15-2023, 08:44 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

I think the Ruth card at REA will sell for more, but I will be honest in that I don't even really even understand why a '52 Topps Mantle (even a PSA 10) would sell for anything close to Babe Ruth's first card with a population of less than a dozen.

Last edited by Bored5000; 11-15-2023 at 08:44 PM.
Old 11-15-2023, 08:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
I think the Ruth card at REA will sell for more, but I will be honest in that I don't even really even understand why a '52 Topps Mantle (even a PSA 10) would sell for anything close to Babe Ruth's first card with a population of less than a dozen.
Because nobody collecting now saw Ruth, whereas Mantle was a folk hero to a whole generation of guys many of whom are still living. And 1952 Topps is the set that brought in modern collecting.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 11-15-2023 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-15-2023, 10:04 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Because nobody collecting now saw Ruth, whereas Mantle was a folk hero to a whole generation of guys many of whom are still living. And 1952 Topps is the set that brought in modern collecting.
I understand the reason why the 1952 Topps Mantle is iconic and that set's impact on the hobby. I should have worded that better and said I don't understand the whole PSA 10 factor at play and why it turns a common card into a six or seven or eight figure card.
Old 11-15-2023, 10:08 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
I understand the reason why the 1952 Topps Mantle is iconic and that set's impact on the hobby. I should have worded that better and said I don't understand the whole PSA 10 factor at play and why it turns a common card into a six or seven or eight figure card.
Ego.

Old 11-16-2023, 12:53 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:

Perhaps the Mantle wasn't a 9.5, but it was certainly better than all of the PSA 9s I've seen and two of the PSA 10s. Ultimately, this is what mattered, and this is why they put it in an SGC 9.5 holder. It was a matter of hierarchy, not accuracy. And given the significance of these cards, I think it was the right move to make. The goalposts never should have been moved on us, but they have. The only 52 Mantle that could give it a run for its money is the sheet cut PSA 10.

I haven't seen all the other BN Ruths, but I suspect this decision was similar. Placed on the old grading scale. Had it gone to PSA, it probably gets a 1 despite being nicer than one already slabbed as a 2.
Old 11-16-2023, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Perhaps the Mantle wasn't a 9.5, but it was certainly better than all of the PSA 9s I've seen and two of the PSA 10s. Ultimately, this is what mattered, and this is why they put it in an SGC 9.5 holder. It was a matter of hierarchy, not accuracy. And given the significance of these cards, I think it was the right move to make. The goalposts never should have been moved on us, but they have. The only 52 Mantle that could give it a run for its money is the sheet cut PSA 10.

I haven't seen all the other BN Ruths, but I suspect this decision was similar. Placed on the old grading scale. Had it gone to PSA, it probably gets a 1 despite being nicer than one already slabbed as a 2.
This is precisely why I think the Rosen 9.5 went to SGC and not PSA. PSA will probably never grade another 52 Topps Mick a 10 even if one were pulled from a pack like happened at the National with the 55 Bowman Mick, as it would conflict with the three already in 10 holders, to protect and honor those. It could have received a 9, but really deserved to be a 10 considering the 2 PSA 10 examples it was compared to and their respective flaws. Since SGC awards half points, there you go, split the difference.

Last edited by brunswickreeves; 11-16-2023 at 03:56 AM.
Old 11-16-2023, 07:50 AM
Mike Henry

Quote:

I think you're absolutely right on all of this, and fudging the grade is probably even the right business decision. It's still off-putting to people like me. Right or wrong, I had a perception of SGC as the straight-and-narrow alternative to PSA. When I saw an SGC 3 slapped on that card, it make me rethink that perception. It should be worth roughly the same whether it's a 1-1.5 or a 3, but they shot high anyway. To what end?
Old 11-16-2023, 09:51 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:

Yes, I’m sure it was the “right to move make” for the mone, that is the point.. Corruption is a feature, not a problem. It’s blatantly dishonest. A card with staining like that has never before been considered to be in 9.5 or in 9 condition. If I submitted a Dale Coogan in the same condition I would not get a 9 or a 9.5. If I submitted a common T206 in the same exact condition as this Ruth it would not get a 3. I would be lucky to get a 1.5. This whole show is a farce, grading is not to produce an accurate grade it’s to suit the market interests of a select group.
Old 11-16-2023, 10:16 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Yes, I’m sure it was the “right to move make” for the mone, that is the point.. Corruption is a feature, not a problem. It’s blatantly dishonest. A card with staining like that has never before been considered to be in 9.5 or in 9 condition. If I submitted a Dale Coogan in the same condition I would not get a 9 or a 9.5. If I submitted a common T206 in the same exact condition as this Ruth it would not get a 3. I would be lucky to get a 1.5. This whole show is a farce, grading is not to produce an accurate grade it’s to suit the market interests of a select group.
When you submit a Dale Coogan though, they're not pulling up examples of previously graded copies to see where it might fit in among the hierarchy of other Coogans. And they shouldn't be expected to, because we want them to keep grading fees affordable. But when they're grading cards like this Ruth and the 9.5 Mantle, I would argue that it's the right thing to do. Even if the grades look silly in comparison to other recently graded cards.

This is why you shouldn't move goalposts.
Old 11-16-2023, 10:25 AM
Peter Spaeth

Some goalpost movement is inevitable as the hobby changes, but moving them to the 50 yard line as they seem to have done is ridiculous.

Old 11-16-2023, 10:47 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
When you submit a Dale Coogan though, they're not pulling up examples of previously graded copies to see where it might fit in among the hierarchy of other Coogans. And they shouldn't be expected to, because we want them to keep grading fees affordable. But when they're grading cards like this Ruth and the 9.5 Mantle, I would argue that it's the right thing to do. Even if the grades look silly in comparison to other recently graded cards.

This is why you shouldn't move goalposts.
That IS moving the goalposts. The graders claim they do NOT give preferential treatment to high end cards and lift the grades for them. The whole reason for grading, besides the much more honest ‘it juices the money printer’ is that it’s supposed to be a consistent set of criteria applied to the cards to make condition less of a debate. It’s not consistent when there’s 2 completely different sets of rules where the big cards get juiced. They did it with an Wagner fairly recently as well, SGC is clearly overgrading the best cards they get, presumably for the obvious financial reasons. Again, I know that corruption will be very popular among a lot of the hobby but it’s absurd and in a normal business would reduce customer confidence.
Old 11-16-2023, 10:50 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Some goalpost movement is inevitable as the hobby changes, but moving them to the 50 yard line as they seem to have done is ridiculous.
Ya. Now PSA is lumping in POOR, FAIR, GOOD, AND VG cards all into PSA 1 holders in order to make room for the EXMT cards they're slabbing as 4s. I honestly thought they would have corrected this by now. It's really baffling.