NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-14-2024, 03:08 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
I’d rather not have 1 or 2 specific individuals here get my personal information for exactly this reason. All it takes is one angry nutter off his meds one day one time for something to happen. The odds are not high though.
LOL, you have obviously not run across bat $hit carzy Matthew yet. He has had several different accounts on here and probably has a few going now.
Old 01-14-2024, 03:19 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
LOL, you have obviously not run across bat $hit carzy Matthew yet. He has had several different accounts on here and probably has a few going now.
I had one Matthew go ballistic when I didn't juice the pump he wanted to juice but I suspect this is a different Matthew. Have we had a true stalker or assault case? The odds aren't high but it all it takes is one. I used to shut up to remain compliant until something got the rule on my account, so it's the boards fault I run my mouth now
Old 01-14-2024, 03:31 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
I had one Matthew go ballistic when I didn't juice the pump he wanted to juice but I suspect this is a different Matthew. Have we had a true stalker or assault case? The odds aren't high but it all it takes is one. I used to shut up to remain compliant until something got the rule on my account, so it's the boards fault I run my mouth now
So, a member got angry because you "didn't juice the pump he wanted to juice." Wow, that sounds intense.

Pardon me for asking, but what does that mean?

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 01-14-2024, 03:36 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
So, a member got angry because you "didn't juice the pump he wanted to juice." Wow, that sounds intense.

Pardon me for asking, but what does that mean?
Hardly intense at all. As I said, I was not aware of any real stalking/assault intensity that had ever actually happened.

Which word is difficult?
Old 01-14-2024, 03:41 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Hardly intense at all. As I said, I was not aware of any real stalking/assault intensity that had ever actually happened.

Which word is difficult?
Individually, none of them are difficult. The phrase I surrounded with quotation marks is one I hadn't previously heard.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 01-14-2024, 06:08 PM

This seller is NO GOOD.

Dan Mckee
Old 01-14-2024, 08:14 PM
Mark Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
I was the 2nd underbidder on the 1952 Topps Solly Hemus. I bid 44.44 and it sold for $58. The one that got away.

I don't understand the prices today. I was watching a T206 Matty earlier that sold for 9 clams. Who has 9 dimes for a baseball card? I didn't leave the hobby. The hobby left me.
Wow does that line hit home, spot on.
Old 01-15-2024, 05:44 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
I was the 2nd underbidder on the 1952 Topps Solly Hemus. I bid 44.44 and it sold for $58. The one that got away.

I don't understand the prices today. I was watching a T206 Matty earlier that sold for 9 clams. Who has 9 dimes for a baseball card? I didn't leave the hobby. The hobby left me.
Hi Rob, let me say this, and dare I say I will opine as to the state of (some) the hobby. people from all walks of life and demographics collect cards, that is one area which is amazing about the hobby. So many people I have met, including some I consider friends, which I would have never known without this hobby of ours. Anyone can jump in, all it takes is having time, money and some effort. My back story, I can remember many of the old dealers back in the early 90s which are still around today. When I was just a kid at 16 or so, they were always willing to take to the time to educate me. Whether it was explaining the grades, oddball issue, or signed cards, I felt these guys were kind of like Curators at a museum.

Just like any other "hot" commodity, be is stocks during covid, beanie babies, what have you, you have the innovator, imitator and the fool. Now I wont pontificate about stubble-beards and what have you, I dont think generalizing will help any. However quite a few new people have (tried) made a splash in the hobby. The advent of social media can put your inventory in front of faces 24/7. I remember, years before covid, one big splash came from a guy who, i believe, got a big settlement, and walked around shows with a briefcase full of cash buying. A gimmick like this can put you on the map!

Anyhow, I am seeing these amazingly high prices on cards, only to be turned around and being relisted, or showcased, for even more. This was the old 707 model, but I dont believe anybody can do it like Levi. If you are new in the hobby, and have 10 1952 mantles, 20 1954 aarons, etc in a showcase, the dealer will get a lot of attention, but my guess is they are dollar cost averaging and trying to prop up your inventory. Again, aside from 707, this business model has never been used in the hobby. I always found it strange, but it did work for 707. Nothing against it and I always used to like looking and speaking with both Levi and Jim (RIP) about cards. I do not remember Levi from the 90s, but do remember Don Hontz and a few others. I went to shows almost every weekend throughout the northeast.

That being said, it seems like a new type/style of dealer (in vintage) has popped up, and I for one and curious how it will work out. if I had another life maybe I would enjoy doing shows. The energy, the excitement, this kids faces are all a part of the hobby. Sadly, I would "get high on my own supply" and have to think about time away from my family, so I would not pursue this venture. Also, at some point, you need to make a profit, the must be worth the squeeze. People are not buying 1952 mantles on ebay every weekend, and if shows are panning out, what is a dealer to do?

Thanks for reading a morning rambling from the fixed museum, not a traveling one

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 01-19-2024, 03:56 PM
Brian Jordan

Saw some raw T206 Fred Snodgrass cards in surprisingly good condition so I added them to my watchlist. Was looking at them closer and thought it was weird that they were paired with a handful of random 70’s cards. Then I noticed who the seller was. Removed them from my watchlist. Thanks to all of those that posted in this thread!
Old Yesterday, 10:59 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

How is this seller still on ebay? The amount of cards destroyed has to be in the tens of thousands. Every listing is nm or mint and heavily trimmed. Report report report, lets take some collected action and all report this seller. Get them off the site.

Not only destroying cards which is against ebay tos in terms of fraudulent listings but also against ebay tos circumventing authentication by selling as lots.

Of course this is all alleged and I'm also the pope.

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale

Last edited by Lucas00; Yesterday at 11:24 PM.
Old Today, 09:17 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Maybe they moved to Ohio? It seems to be where a lot of fraud starts out...

NO, this seller shouldn't be on ebay any longer. But they are because they make ebay money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Dothan, Alabama will never be the same if the brothers left there for Panama City, Florida.