NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 07-22-2020, 01:24 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 204 (July 22, 2020 – 204)

Since Mike posted a Japanese magazine yesterday I might as well follow up with another example. This foreign magazine was pictured by Howard (hcv123) in an early post (#30) and here’s a copy I picked up after several years of searching. I don’t read Japanese so I’m unsure what the magazine is called, but I believe it’s from 10/28/71 and lists Baltimore Orioles on the cover. There’s Frank, Brooks and Boog on a super cool designed cover.

Day 204 Publication 1971 Japanese October 28.jpg
Old 07-22-2020, 06:17 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Signed game Used hat of Cal Ripken Jr. from his 1981 season in Rochester:

Last edited by roarfrom34; 07-22-2020 at 06:18 AM.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:10 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarfrom34 View Post
signed game used hat of cal ripken jr. From his 1981 season in rochester:
awesome!!!
Old 07-22-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
Day 204 (July 22, 2020 – 204)

Since Mike posted a Japanese magazine yesterday I might as well follow up with another example. This foreign magazine was pictured by Howard (hcv123) in an early post (#30) and here’s a copy I picked up after several years of searching. I don’t read Japanese so I’m unsure what the magazine is called, but I believe it’s from 10/28/71 and lists Baltimore Orioles on the cover. There’s Frank, Brooks and Boog on a super cool designed cover.

Attachment 410462
Foreign issued magazines seem to be tough to find, that’s a great one Mark!
Old 07-31-2020, 06:02 PM

Default Brooks Oddball Cards

Hi, everyone. New to posting. I thought to show a couple of my favorite oddball Brooks Cards part of the PSA Brooks Master Set. Took me a while to find these two. I am told the 1968 Disc might be missing a color or two. Regardless, they are pretty rare and tough to find.

Mark, thanks for getting me up an running!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1967 Topps Test Disc Brooks.jpg (9.9 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg 1968 Topps Disc Brooks Face Right.jpg (10.9 KB, 73 views)
Old 07-31-2020, 07:49 PM

Two very nice Topps test issues! The 3D card from 68, the 61 Dice Game are by far the toughest to obtain... and those disc are right up there. Scarce !
Old 07-31-2020, 07:57 PM
Mike Magee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chstrite View Post
Hi, everyone. New to posting. I thought to show a couple of my favorite oddball Brooks Cards part of the PSA Brooks Master Set. Took me a while to find these two. I am told the 1968 Disc might be missing a color or two. Regardless, they are pretty rare and tough to find.

Great cards! Did you get the '68 from a dealer named Steve? One of my favorite Orioles oddball dealers and he had a '68 Brooks disc for sale earlier this year.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:18 PM
Clint

Those two bicentennial bats are awesome!

Welcome and great Robinson discs!
Old 08-02-2020, 09:39 AM

Default 1969 Brooks Robinson Transogram

Thought to show the 1969 Transogram featuring variations of Brooks Robinson to include the figurine. These were released in 1969 with 60 player boxes and figurines. There are many HOF's to include Brooks, Kaline, Aaron, Mays, Mantle and Clemente (others, too). This Box and cards are part of the Brooks PSA Master Set. The Master Set requires the Box, which is depicted (the box does not display nicely as the Bazookas do); the side panel (the smaller headshot), which is depicted; and the larger card on the back, which is shown. I am only aware of one box being graded, which is this one and the larger card with the yellow shown here is one of two graded at PSA 8 (none higher). The smaller card or side panel is hard to grade above a 5. Finding a nice box featuring Brooks is pretty hard but they appear on Ebay routinely. I hated to cut a box up but admittedly I did to get the side panel. The box was damaged so my sin should be forgivable. You can see my Brooks PSA Master on PSA. Search for Brooksie Master. Lots of items to see (over 262 items in the Master and growing). My set is ranked #2 but I actually have a higher percentage of items on hand (my quality is not as nice as the #1 set). I am constantly upgrading cards, photos, boxes, etc. so if you have anything extra, let me know. I am happy to help you as I have many extra items, if interested. Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1969 Transogram.jpg (76.3 KB, 165 views)
Old 08-02-2020, 12:07 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Thought to show the 1969 Transogram featuring variations of Brooks Robinson to include the figurine. These were released in 1969 with 60 player boxes and figurines. There are many HOF's to include Brooks, Kaline, Aaron, Mays, Mantle and Clemente (others, too). This Box and cards are part of the Brooks PSA Master Set. The Master Set requires the Box, which is depicted (the box does not display nicely as the Bazookas do); the side panel (the smaller headshot), which is depicted; and the larger card on the back, which is shown. I am only aware of one box being graded, which is this one and the larger card with the yellow shown here is one of two graded at PSA 8 (none higher). The smaller card or side panel is hard to grade above a 5. Finding a nice box featuring Brooks is pretty hard but they appear on Ebay routinely. I hated to cut a box up but admittedly I did to get the side panel. The box was damaged so my sin should be forgivable. You can see my Brooks PSA Master on PSA. Search for Brooksie Master. Lots of items to see (over 262 items in the Master and growing). My set is ranked #2 but I actually have a higher percentage of items on hand (my quality is not as nice as the #1 set). I am constantly upgrading cards, photos, boxes, etc. so if you have anything extra, let me know. I am happy to help you as I have many extra items, if interested. Enjoy!
Charlie,

You have some awesome items in the Brooks Master Registry; think you should be #1.

Really like the transogram card cutout and the box w/the figurine included. I really don’t understand within the registry to grade this box itself and the side picture panel. I get it on the Bazooka’s (sometimes), but not the transogram. Of course I don’t understand other stuff like photos either. As long you’re having fun go for it.
Old 08-02-2020, 12:40 PM

Mark, when I started with the registry I was confused, too. So many different things To chase. Recently they added Coke Caps and Matchbooks. It can be crazy and exhausting. I have learned a lot of “useless” stuff along the way. Thanks for commenting.
Old 08-01-2020, 02:22 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:

Charlie,

Those are two great Topps test issues. The 1967 disc is missing at least a couple colors, but I think on the 1968 all the colors are there. It doesn't really matter too much since they are all proofs anyway.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:35 AM
Alan Strout

Default 1976 Hostess Orioles cards

I really enjoy the Hostess cards from 1975-1979.

Orioles team sets are not that hard to complete, whether you collect the individual cards or prefer the 3 card panels. However, if you enjoy variations and a bit of a challenge, the 1976 Hostess set is for you.

Most of the Orioles in the 1976 set can be found with cropping differences and/or different color backs.

Here are examples of Jim Palmer (3 buttons or 2 buttons showing on his uniform) and Mike Torrez (common black printing on back and tougher brown back)

1976 Hostess #1 - Copy.JPG 1976 Hostess Panels #2 - Copy.JPG SCAN8924.JPG

Brooks Robinson was one of the panels that was supposedly printed with only the black back. However, I found a Brooks Robinson with a brown back. I think it might be a proof. Notice the print markings between the cards.

1976 Hostess Panels #1.jpg SCAN8923B.jpg

Some of the cropping differences are fairly easy to spot on the Orioles, while others are very slight, but easier to see when panels are compared.

Don Baylor cropping difference in lower right

1976 Hostess Panels #4 - Copy.jpg

Gene Tenace and Bobby Murcer, compared to Mike Cuellar (creases in uniform compared to printed name)

SCAN8925.jpg

If that's not enough, Hostess also printed some of the cards on their individual Twinkie packages. These usually have product stains and are thicker than the box cards. The Orioles included Bobby Grich, Jim Palmer and Brooks Robinson

SCAN8922A.jpg SCAN8922B.JPG
Old 08-01-2020, 08:35 AM
Bill H@e1ig

OTD in 1994 Cal Ripken Jr. became only the 2nd player in MLB history to play in 2,000 consecutive games.

A few days before the game I wrote a letter to the Twins official scorer (Tom Mee) and asked if he could please send me a copy the official press notes for the game. Not only did he send them to me, but he ALSO sent me the original scored pages from his personal score book.

My buddy worked at a radio station in MD and he saved for me the Associated Press teletype announcing the feat & I then purchased from the Minneapolis Star Tribune a copy of the photo of Cal which appeared on the front page of their paper the next day.

Finally took a signed ticket from the game and had them all professionally matted and framed as a group:

Interestingly, the Twins starting pitcher that evening was Pat Mahomes, father to star QB Patrick.

Last edited by roarfrom34; 08-01-2020 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-01-2020, 03:57 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarfrom34 View Post
OTD in 1994 Cal Ripken Jr. became only the 2nd player in MLB history to play in 2,000 consecutive games.

A few days before the game I wrote a letter to the Twins official scorer (Tom Mee) and asked if he could please send me a copy the official press notes for the game. Not only did he send them to me, but he ALSO sent me the original scored pages from his personal score book.

My buddy worked at a radio station in MD and he saved for me the Associated Press teletype announcing the feat & I then purchased from the Minneapolis Star Tribune a copy of the photo of Cal which appeared on the front page of their paper the next day.

Finally took a signed ticket from the game and had them all professionally matted and framed as a group:Interestingly, the Twins starting pitcher that evening was Pat Mahomes, father to star QB Patrick.
Those are some very nice items and the framed display make it look very professional.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:45 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 215 (August 2, 2020 – 215)

A photo from the 1983 Hall of Fame the year Brooks was inducted into Cooperstown. Sorry about the photo I couldn’t fit the whole picture in my scanner. The back has the listing of the players within the photograph.

1983 HOF photo

Day 215 a 1983 HOF Induction.jpg
Day 215 b 1983 HOF Induction back.jpg

1983 Oriole Advocates photo

Day 215 c Picture 1983 The Oriole Advocates.jpg

Wire photo of Brooks and Juan Marichal; two of the Hall of Fame inductees

Day 215 d Photo Marichal Brooks.jpg