NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-17-2004, 06:04 PM
Administrator

Default how do you do T206?

Posted By: warshawlaw 

I am in somewhat of a quandary over how to collect the Monster. I'm already like $7,500 into it and have no end in sight.

I know I do not want to try for "completeness" because I will never be able to afford a Wagner or Plank or Cobb/Cobb and don't want to pay for a Magie, O'hara or Demmitt.

I know I don't want to go for the set but for the above cards, because I don't care for commons.

I thought of portraits only, but I really like some of the action cards; ditto for action only.

I thought of all HOFers but I don't want to buy 4 Cobbs, etc. I REALLY don't want to buy several McGraw and Evers cards.

Also, condition-wise, most of mine are 3-4 but I have some 5-6 cards too, and I am toying with the idea of trading down on those to expand my holdings.

Anyone have any ideas??? What do you do with this set?

Old 05-17-2004, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

I own 1 complete set from 1888 and 1 from 1956. I may complete the Triple Folders. I may not. Trying to get all the 19th century HOFers, but may not. Whatever I do, it'll cost too much (already has), and will be fun.

Frank Barning once told me not to spread myself too thin; he probably said something like "that way lies madness," but in words he thought I would understand. Gee, maybe I OUGHT to consider my collecting as a root cause of my insanity--never have, though. (I have this ridiculous bone to pick with Frank Barning that will never, never get picked, and he wouldn't believe me ANYWAY...)

Now everybody tell Brian how easy it is to be well organized, collecting the Monster!

Old 05-17-2004, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

Old 05-17-2004, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Pick a favorite team, collect card with only Piedmont or some other backs. Or just buy what you think looks good.

Jay

Old 05-17-2004, 08:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: t-206collector

...to go after the monster. It's a good thing I picked up my Matty portrait a few years ago. The price on that one is out of sight these days. And I've been outbid to the tune of $600+ for Tinker portraits the past two days -- a PSA 5 and an SGC 70. I remember getting outbid for that very card in December for a price in the mid-$300.

Prices are skyrocketing. When will it end? I don't want to spend so much money on HOF portraits, but how will I complete the set without them.

It's getting scary out there.

Old 05-17-2004, 08:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

I really can't offer much advice on collecting the T206 set. I come here (N54) for my vintage advice. I'm lucky in that I've basically inherited a set that is about 75% complete. I need about 80 cards, 22 of which are Southern League. I've bought 15 cards on ebay, the most expensive was $44. I've obviously started slowly and stayed away from the big tickets. I thought I'd purchased a Matty dark cap tonight, a nicely centered card with stains, but no creases. NR. I was ahead with 4 seconds left, only to get outbid. This was for $122. Oh, well, maybe next time.

My wife was asking about the ground rules on my bb card budget, which is very loose. I think I'm about $7k away from "complete." To me, this means no Cobb-Cobb, Wagner, Plank, Magie, Doyle NY natl, O'Hara St Louis, (S)nodgrass, Shappe, or Wagner. I've got some big tickets left, though. Cobb bat off, 3 Evers, 2 Matty, 3 Marquard. Some $.

I'm pretty particular about my cards, no creases allowed. Most of my set would grade PSA 4 (my estimate) + or - a grade. A few maybe 2.

I think I've had more fun learning about vintage cards than actually buying or looking at them. Believe it or not, I've never purchased any cards but T206's (long lost packs from my youth excluded).

I'm not in any hurry, if it takes me 5 years, OK. If I never get there, well that's OK, too. To me, getting there is most the fun, and the expertise here is what I find most interesting. Despite some of the negatives of personal interaction that have happened.

My 2 cents worth.

Dave

Old 05-17-2004, 08:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scottopotamus

I've been at it about three years now.

For me (and perhaps only me), the T206 set is more of a journey than a destination. I fully realize that barring a lottery win (a big one), I will never be able to complete the set.

I've got 263 cards slabbed by SGC (mostly 20's & 30's), 48 with SGC now and 3 in transit.

My rookie advice (from my limited experience) would be to simply collect what you like and forget about trying to complete a set (or subset).

Old 05-17-2004, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Ernst

How things have changed! In 1971, outside of Minot, North Dakota, I had to force $20 on an old farmer for 1100 T-205's and T-206's. He'd had them forever (since being a kid in New York) and was excited to find someone interested in them. I remember, after figuring out what they were and what they were worth (40-60 cents apiece)trying to get him to take more for them, which he refused.
When I traded back then, and finished both sets except for Plank/Wagner/Magie,we didn't pay any more or expect anymore in trade for a Johnson or a Cobb than any others.
It was less expensive to build the set,obviously, and most wanted to trade rather than to buy/sell. The Trader Speaks was the Bible of the day, and we didn't have to contend with 29 different sets by 20 different manufacturers each year. And kids collected cards because they liked them, not because they would have value some day.
Good luck on collecting the monster. It's one great set!!!

Old 05-17-2004, 11:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe P.

You're making the Monster more of a monster by trying to make a plan for it.
Let it happen whatever way it does.

I'm not trying to be a wise guy, I know what I'm talking about.
I happen to own two incomplete sets.
In the beginning of my first set, it just became a set, never thinking or dreaming that I would ever get near to a complete set.
The grades didn't matter because to me the set represented the history of the game.
To me, I didn't care if it was a HOF, common, portrait, or action shot, they all played during the deadball era.
I still have the first T card that I bought, it was a Herzog NY NL, I bought it for my dad, he was a NY Giants fan.
Being that I worked for an airline during the '70's '80's & '90's, at one time as a collector, I flew to more shows all over the country than Rosen did as a dealer. ... that was the early '80's.
I had the advantage of being selective as to what dealer would give me a better deal.
I will say this, I was fortunate to meet a lot of great dealers in my card show travels.
There are meatballs, but why waste time with them, always stick with the good guys.
My inadvertent first set that just happened, is up to 484 cards.
The cards have all been owned and loved by someone before.
Every once in a while, I may just upgrade a card.
Although I never ever expected to get this far into this set, I don't think that it will ever know a Slow Joe Doyle, (the toughest card in the T206 set) a Wagner, Plank, Magie, Ohara or Demmit. ..... then again, Quien Sabe?

My second set was inadvertently obtained in an unexpected purchase at a mega table Lee show in San Francisco during the late '80's.
I was looking at some T cards at a table when a young couple came by and opened a very old box of chocolates.
The box was loaded.
Loaded with the prettiest T206's & T205's and other T's that your eyeball's have ever rested on.
It was no business of mine, and it was between this couple and the dealer, so I paid it no mind.
However, I did notice a piece of paper go back and forth between them.
They left, and I forgot all about it.
The time had come for my last quick look see and systematic run through the show.
It was during that last hope for the unknown, before heading to the SFO airport that the unexpected happen.
The forgotten young couple were right in front of me.
I introduced myself and told them that I couldn't help noticing the contents of the box they showed the dealer, and wondered if they still had it?
When they said yes, I asked them what did they want for it?
At that point he handed a blue piece of paper which I still have.
On it it said, $5000.00, below that the dealer wrote $4500.00 and that he should come back later if it was not sold.
At that moment I asked them if they would join me in the cafeteria.
We sat down, he brought out the box, and with it a Beckett with all the T206's and T205's in the box checked off.
There were over 800 T's
It was a done deal.
I looked at a couple of them, and I was a happy camper.
I got to meet the couples family.
The couple were happy with the sale that would help them get a car.
I had to catch a plane back to NY.
We said our adios, yes they were Spanish.
You just know that I didn't check that box in the plane.
I always travel light, and that box was part of my carry on.
To say that I couldn't wait to get home to look at all of them, is an understatement.

My second set is a very very decent looking set.
I got my Slow Joe Doyle from a Lipset auction.
My Plank from Festberg at a show.
My Magie from a very nice dealer in NC, and for the love of me, at moment I can't remember his name and I apologize but I will get it.
My Ohara and Demmit were part of an entry deal purchased at a Willow Grove show from Lew Lipset while Irv Lerner looked on.
As for the second hardest card, the Wagner, the only card missing from that set, I don't have one, and that's another story.
I never figuered that I would get the whole set anyway. ... but Quien Sabe?

Joe

Old 05-17-2004, 11:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve k

There are probably millions of steve k's out there. Baby boomers (I'm 49) who like me are rediscovering the enjoyment of baseball cards. I have my many thousands of cards from the 50's and 60's that fortunately mom didn't throw away. But I didn't really start thoroughly enjoying them again until about 2 years ago when "discovering" ebay. I actually only got my first home computer 3 years ago. We can criticize ebay all we want, but before ebay, you were kinda stuck hoping the local card dealer had what you wanted and then him playing the usual game of trying to gouge you. Just for old time sake I recently stopped in to a local card dealer. I have a 1962 Mantle but his was a little higher grade. He wanted $600 firm - well I just laughed to myself knowing I can get this card any week on ebay for around $400. I attend card shows every few years but to me, while the selection is of course better, it still seems to be the same old type of dealer trying to gouge you. I am not insinuating that all dealers are like this, and I still enjoy card shows and do some buying. With ebay though, I can relax, find what I want, and bid the amount I want, and if I don't win, knowing for the most part that card will probably show up on ebay sometime in the future. This forum makes card collecting even more enjoyable as I just "discovered" it a few months ago and sometime in the future I'll probably take advantage of purchasing some cards from the Buy/Sell/Trade thread.

The point is that many more people such as myself are going to start "discovering" through ebay auctions and other means the extremely fascinating world of pre-1950's cards and especially the marvelous turn-of-the-century cards. Then occurs simple economics - greater demand of a fixed supply will result in higher prices. I think in 5 years or sooner, and it's happening now, prices for these pre-WW2 & WW1 cards will rise higher than anyone's, including my, imagination.

Old 05-18-2004, 12:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I certainly can't top that story about my T206s, I think that is the find we all hope to have.

I would have to agree with let me set happen. When I got on ebay 3 1/2 yrs ago I had 80 T206s other than trading a Ernie Banks rookie for about 30 nice ones including HOFer I have no idea how I got them except for my Lajoie,paid $40 for inthe 80's, now in a SGC 50 holder. I began buying T206s on ebay when I saw the scans. I originally went for all the Cubs cards and slowly staarted buying HOFers, saved alot of money starting withthe HOFers early. As I started buying I got intrigued with the different backs, I know have all the up to UZIT. I currently need 62 cards, not counting the biggies, and only need Cobb (green) and Johnson port. of the obtainable HOfers.

My biggest suggestion is to buy the cards you feel will fit well into your set and slowly but surly you will get closer and closer to finishing the set. There seems to be so many ways you can collect the set, find one you are happy with and let it fly. I have found the whole process fun and hope to complete the set up the Elberfeld ,Washington within a year. The rest will only come if by chance. I am not too worried about getting them because they are out of my budget at this time.

Happy collecting

Lee

Old 05-18-2004, 08:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John(z28jd)

When i bought my first t206 card about 12 years ago from Larry Fritsch's museum up in Cooperstown,I got a catalog and it was then that i decided i wanted one card of each player in the set.His prices were high so thats all that seemed feasible to me at the time.I bought cards off and on till i got onto ebay about 6 years ago. Then i started collecting the set in alphabetical order and was going fine till i got up to Browne,wash.
Not being able to find one on ebay for awhile i started buying all the back brands including a lot with 13 different.Up until then i was happy to just get every card from Elberfeld,wash on down but thru a loan from a family member i was able to buy a Demmitt so i decided to get the O'Hara at some point to.Due to good timing and another loan i was able to go one step higher and get a Magie which is the absolute line ill draw.My dads trying to convince me to get a Plank and i know he will help out with it but id rather have a s__load of old judges than one more T206 i never planned on getting

I then finished all the minor league cards and after i did that i finished buying all of the commons.I just finished the variations and Im now down to needing 27 cards for the set and 14 are southern leaguers,13 hall of famers with a planned finish time around xmas this year.

Old 05-18-2004, 08:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Why not just go for one of each HOF, the one you like best whether it is a portrait or an action pose?
JimB

Old 05-18-2004, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

go after all the attainable HOFers and popular players, taking my time on it to shop around for the good deals. The big cards and the back variations be damned.

Just picked up one of my key want list cards at a good price: Tinker portrait. Between that and the Marquard portrait I scored at the end of April, I'm having a nice run. Yippee!!!

Old 05-18-2004, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe P.

The idea is to have fun with it.
If it happens, it happens.
No one ever started off by saying that, "I'm going collect this set, and get every card."
That would have been an instant declaration and admission of insanity.
The insanity is there, there's no need for a high profile.

Let the set surprise you.

Quien Sabe?
Joe

Old 05-18-2004, 07:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brian p

If I were to start collecting the T206 set today (and had a decent flow of cash), I would probably try to get one of each HOF, choosing the pose that is most appealing to me. I would also like to get one of each of my favorite players, and then choose all the common cards that are visually attractive--such as the horizontal cards and cards like Leifield (pitching), one of my all-time favorite cards. I would think one would end up with a very appealing group of 150 cards or so.

So it sounds like Adam is basically headed down this path--but my advice is don't overlook the commons, as some of the best looking cards in T206 are Average Joes.

Brian