NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-02-2008, 04:18 PM
Administrator

Default Appreciate Advice - Should I use PSA or SGC?

Posted By: Peter

I am going to sell 50+ nice 1933 Hockey cards - I would appreciate a recommendation on which grading company to hire to grade the star cards and high grade commons in order to maximize the sale value of the cards. Is the PSA Registry so popular that it makes sense to use them or would you recommend SGC? Thank you

Old 12-02-2008, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

May I venture a prediction about who will answer in which ways? happy.gif
JimB

P.S. I don't know the hockey market at all. Wish I could help. You might try over on the hockey forum.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Levy

I don't know the hockey market ... but for many BB Card issues if you're simply looking for max $$ PSA is the way to go. If you think you might want to keep the collection, you've got a real decision to make, especially since I have a more positive view of SGC and think they look nicer in their holders.

Regards,
Scott

Old 12-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

Add me to Jim's list of people who know nothing about hockey, however that won't stop me from answering.

If you use vintagecardprices.com, you can compare sales of similar condition cards from different grading services.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Thank you for your quick reply - I would certianly appreciate hearing your advice anyways - if they were 11933 baseball cards to be sold shortly - what would bring the highest value in you opinion? PSA or SGC? How valuable is the PSA registry - do cards mean more to the registry collectors and therefore are worth more? Just asking your opinion? Thank you

Old 12-02-2008, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Registry would be a factor for me. If my cards were high grade and there was a strong competition for high grade cards from my set on one of the registries, i would go for that one. If my cards were mid-grade or low-grade and there were more registry people at those levels on another registry, I would go for that one. A lot of set collectors try to complete set in all one type of holder, so I would aim towards the biggest market in the appropriate holder for your anticipated grades.
JimB

Old 12-02-2008, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Ecklund

In general I would send high grade cards (8,9,10) that were intended for sale to PSA and both upper mid-grade/lower grade cards and cards for my personal collection to SGC.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Thank you everybody for your replies - much appreciated! I know from following Net54 that the board members like and respect SGC and I have recently tried them with a few baseball cards (awaiting my grades)- PSA's reputation on the board does not seem as good as SGC's, however, cards in their holders (in the same grade as SGC's) may bring more $ in the door today.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Doug

I have no knowledge of the hockey card market, but with my own cards if I plan on keeping them I send them to SGC because I prefer the holders, but if I plan on selling them I send them to PSA because they seem to bring higher prices. Hope this is of some help...

Old 12-02-2008, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason

What 33 set do you have? OPC, Canada Gum, Ice Kings, or Hamilton Gum?

If it were me. I would go SGC. I do collect hockey cards and all of them are in SGC holders.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:55 PM
Administrator

I have 22 quite nice Hamilton Gums (I am guessing 5, 6 or 7's - perhaps a couple 8's) - depends on the grader - a few of the borders are dirty - includes Morenz, 2 Clancys, 2 Conachers, Joliat, Primeau, Jackson, 29 -1933 OPC - I am guessing 4's 5's and 6's - perhaps a few 7's maybe an 8.

I do not like the fact that 1933 Hamilton Gum is not a PSA registry set - do you think there ar emore SGC collectors for my cards than PSA or is it equal? If you were me - SGC or PSA or some to both? Thanks again

Old 12-02-2008, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: aro13

It would depend on what cards you have from 1933 as Jason asked.

V129's and Canadian Gum are going to do well in either holder.

Ice Kings are probably the most common set from 1933 and the registry will probably net you a few more $$'s in PSA holders.

OPC A and B are also sought after on the registry.

The rookies would probably do slightly better in PSA holders - especially the tougher to find rookies.

If you get them graded by PSA you would be wise to contact people on the registry that need the cards.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: aro13

Peter - Sorry I missed your last post. Hamilton Gum cards are on the PSA set registry. One person has quite a few sets. There should be some sales on VCP to give you an idea what they are worth.