NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-29-2005, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Default Normal habbit when SCD comes in

Posted By: Jim Clarke

I don't know about most of you... Every year when my SCD comes in, I rip out the Mr. Mint full page AD and everything from Modern major League 1981-2006. I'm curious as to how many old issues the SCD has pulled out (like Peck & Snider as Julie pointed out and many others) to make room for new stuff? Counting postcards and cabinets I think the number would be around 200 or so over the last 5 years.

Old 09-29-2005, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Yanking out all the garbage makes it much easier to transport. That whole modern section goes right to the recycle bin. Yes, the ad goes with it...

At least I didn't say that I tossed the ad in the garbage, even Mr. Mint's ad is worth recycling...

Old 09-29-2005, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

To say I loathe the magazine is being gentle. After seventeen years with a subscription, I simply had enough (1998). I disagree with some of the advertisers that they continue to allow within their pages, the articles aren't educational and mostly nonsense,the magazine needs food (it's too skinny) and the editing staff should be replaced. The eerie floating head of Rosen doesn't help either. <sigh>

DJ

Old 09-29-2005, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

the mag has gotten so short that it isn't even a good toilet read

The big book should be expanding our base of info, not contracting it. Just another reason I hang on to (OK, collect) old price guides. I don't know of another collectible field where encyclopedic compilations of data are stripped of information. It is high time that the big book got split in two with all the shiny stuff (1981-present) separated from all the stuff people actually collect. I'd pay the full price of the big book for a book streamlined in that manner.

Old 09-29-2005, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

I do not subscribe anymore but when I do end up with one, It goes in the circular filing cabinet where it belongs.

Old 09-29-2005, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I think it is a shameful policy that they allow advertisers to buy ads on the added front cover. And invariably, it is the same tired and tasteless ad. Couldn't they at least have a sports related cover and put the advertising after that? I've never seen a magazine allow that. It reeks of desperation for advertising dollars.

Old 09-29-2005, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...that has a better chance of having an article/few photos about Christy Mathewson and/or his baseball card, and I'll subscribe in a heartbeat.

Sure, the ads are annoying. But so what -- it's a weekly baseball card magazine that doesn't linger around the glossy shiny new stuff too much. Is there another one out there?

Old 09-29-2005, 07:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

I agree . When it is not even good toilet material, what do you pull out... a Seventh Avenue Mag ???

A couple of things that would help .

1) lower the advertising cost to 400.00 for a full page ad....afterall, 1% of something is better then 0% of nothing !
2)every subscription is delivered on the same day so that everyone subscibing has an equal chance.
3)TAKE HIS FRIGGIN MUGSHOT OFF OF EVERY MAGAZINE IN THE FUTURE, CAUSE...EVEN THAT IS NOT WORTHWHILE TOILET MATERIAL !

Old 09-29-2005, 08:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Adam,

You nailed it... break that thing into two different editions/sections:

• Pre 1980 (if it were up to me I'd make it before that but at least up to 1980 there wasn't near the volume of crap that came shortly after that)
  • Post 1980 for all the modern collectors

They could save a few trees from the paper that wouldn't be wasted. I'm not a tree hugger but I hate disecting the book only to throw half of it in the recycle bin.

Old 09-29-2005, 10:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

Julie is correct. I thought this was about the magazine and therefore edited my rant.

New stuff sucks.

DJ

Old 09-30-2005, 12:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

half of you are talking about the big book, and half about the (ugh) weekly rag. One enterprising guy talked about both...

I keep getting the big book and yanking out the new pages, hoping some old stuff will be added instead of subtracted...actually, there IS old stuff added each year, in addition to old stuff being subtracted...I let my subscription lapse to the weekly about 3/4ths of a year ago. So far, haven't heard of anything great I've missed...

I remember when Manning was selling a lot of Colgans when I was collecting Colgans...I'd set my clock for 6, and call Monday morning (dratted SCD magazine always seemed to arrive on Saturday!). Once when I ordered a McGinnity, G. Manning said to me "It must be the crack of dawn out there..why're you callingh so eaerly?" "I wanted the McGinnity!" I said...

(this was the second scan I ever made...don't have one of the McGinnity alone anymore...)

Old 09-30-2005, 05:49 AM
Administrator

Hey Julie- what is that card you posted in the lower right corner? Don't recognize it or that set at all.

Old 09-30-2005, 06:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

1915 Cohen Weenan, I think.

Old 09-30-2005, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Thanks Adam- i thought it was Jack Johnson. Neat looking card.

Old 09-30-2005, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

(cigarette card, btw). All Jack Johnsons seem to have come out in 1910--I'm sure that's not true--just all MY Jack Johnsons...

Old 09-30-2005, 01:08 PM
Administrator

1910 was the peak of his fame, so it doesn't surprise me.

Old 09-30-2005, 10:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Larry

Where is the "THE TRADER SPEAKS" when we need it?

SCD has gotten so boring that our bathroom reading selection has been replaced by our weekly pennysaver....