NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-12-2020, 08:05 AM

Default Trading Trout for Mantle - My Biggest Trade Yet!

Last year, I was on a kick to discover various parts of the hobby, one of which included PSA graded rookies of the newer guys. On April 8th, 2019, I got in a card that I just couldn't get out of my head: A 2011 Topps Update Mike Trout Diamond Anniversary PSA 10. Like many, I have several "I wish I didn't sell" Mike Trout horror stories, and worried I was buying at its peak, but thought it still had quite a bit of room to grow - I was right!

Eventually, I sold all my modern PSA stuff, except for the Trout, because it was doing very well.

Recently, I decided to trade/sell my Trout, because it just didn't fit in with what I was passionate about. A week or so ago, I started talking to someone who had a '52 Topps Mantle, and I was talking to him about trading it for one of my Cracker Jack Cobbs. He wasn't interested, and in an off the cuff remark, I mentioned my Trout. As it turns out, that intrigued him!

This is what came in: I had to give up my Trout plus quite a bit of cash. This is probably the nicest "1" I've ever seen of Mantle (seriously - check what is out there...it is crazy!)

The corners, color and clarity are all amazing, with the centering being acceptable. The paper loss on the white border in the bottom left largely accounts for the low grade. Now that's my kind of "1"! As a bonus, the back is super clean, too. (not that I care about backs all that much - ha!)

The Trout was a super card - maybe *the* card of this generation. While it may have leveled off, it very well could hit $10,000 and beyond, which - to those of you who have one, I'm rooting for that to happen! I'm just happy I was able to do well with it and hop off the Trout train at the right time to pick up this beauty. As crazy as it is, the deal was completed exactly one year to the day of when I got the Trout in! I already had a '52 Topps Mantle up until last year before I sold it. While it was an amazing card, the eye appeal of this one is just absolutely off the charts - a true pleasure to look/stare at, which is what I really look for in any cardboard. This marks the biggest trade I have ever done, and is everything I love about this hobby!

A while back, I created the graph below, and interestingly enough, this card is the exception to the rule for me. I was happy to do the deal and looking forward to it coming in, but my excitement for this card skyrocketed once I had it in hand ... I guess that's when you know you have the right piece for your collection! Not that it will stay here forever by any means, but while it is here, I will happily enjoy it for however long it is in my care.

Old 04-12-2020, 08:09 AM
Ben North

Great trade Tanner, that is a beautiful Mantle. Post a pic of the back.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Great trade Tanner, that is a beautiful Mantle. Post a pic of the back.
Thanks!

Here it is:

Old 04-12-2020, 09:27 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Trout is an ATG or will be but a 52 Mantle is the one to have.
Old 04-12-2020, 09:41 AM
Sean Sullivan

Wow. That is a fantastic Mantle. Congrats!

Also, I loved your graph!
Old 04-12-2020, 10:14 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDfan View Post
Wow. That is a fantastic Mantle. Congrats!

Also, I loved your graph!
AGREED!!!!! Nice
Old 04-12-2020, 10:25 AM
Frank Evanov

Default Outstanding

Outstanding! You now have an iconic card, one of the 2 or 3 most famous in the Hobby! I don't see that Trout card ever reaching that status.
Old 04-12-2020, 10:52 AM
Ben Fisher

Awesome Mantle, pretty much exactly what one looks for in a low grade card. 95% happy for you 5% jealous
Old 04-12-2020, 11:38 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Tanner

Magnificent Mantle and a great story.

You can shake off that..... "Bored & Want More Cards" .....feeling if you continue to collect the
remaining 406 cards in the 1952 TOPPS set. Now you're "home-free", having the Mantle card.

It's a fun set to assemble, and you'll have that..... "Can't Stop Thinking About It"....feeling for
quite a long time.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 04-12-2020, 12:35 PM
Ed

Anytime you can trade something for a 52 Mantle, you WIN!
Congrats!
Old 04-12-2020, 01:07 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

That graph is hilarious!
Old 04-12-2020, 02:54 PM
Paul Herbener

Beautiful Mantle Tanner... and I LOVE the graph!!
Old 04-12-2020, 03:12 PM
Jay Cee

Love the chart and congrats on a trade that both parties felt good about.
Old 04-12-2020, 03:15 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

great trade!!
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 04-12-2020, 04:15 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Glad to see it is still possible to have fun and get totally geeked over a trade. Congrats!

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 04-12-2020, 04:31 PM
Ben

wowwwwwwww... congrats... what a beautiful card...
Old 04-12-2020, 04:33 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Great card and trade and love the graph!
Old 04-13-2020, 07:37 AM

Guys thank you for all of the kind words! Sharing the deals is half the fun in this hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Tanner

Magnificent Mantle and a great story.

You can shake off that..... "Bored & Want More Cards" .....feeling if you continue to collect the
remaining 406 cards in the 1952 TOPPS set. Now you're "home-free", having the Mantle card.

It's a fun set to assemble, and you'll have that..... "Can't Stop Thinking About It"....feeling for
quite a long time.

TED Z

T206 Reference
It is interesting you say that - I had a fleeting moment where I thought about this, and it was probably thanks to The Monster Podcast. They were talking about the "do-ability" of putting together the T206. I debated on whether or not to even listen because I didn't want to stoke a fire to get started on it.

I remember having some 52 Topps commons as a kid - they were beat up, but many did I love them because they were old and from the same set the iconic Mantle was from.
Old 04-13-2020, 07:52 AM
Chad

Awesome card. Congrats!
Old 04-13-2020, 07:57 AM
And.rew Fin.kel.man

Very nice Mantle, and the graph is spot on!
Old 04-13-2020, 09:42 PM
D@le Irv*n

Very nice Mantle, Mouschi.

Congrats.
Old 04-13-2020, 09:51 PM
Tim Odeen

Amazing trade!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo