NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-03-2006, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Default On Eve of Pro Football's Biggest Weekend, Curious to know....

Posted By: Frank Rose

With the HOF vote tomorrow and the Super Bowl XL Sunday, curious to know:
1) How many vintage baseball collectors also collect vintage football material?
2) How many vintage baseball collectors actually follow the sport of football as closely as baseball and know football has it's own growing history to collect?

Frank Rose
Vintage Football Collectors Message Board
www.gridirongreats.net
Online Orders: www.helmethut.com
(Click Enter Store, Gridiron Greats Magazine Tab)

Old 02-03-2006, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bryan Long

Vintage football was once apart of my collection. But my love is always with baseball and there are too many baseball cards I want Not enough money to collect both.

Old 02-03-2006, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I'm most knowledgeable and interested in baseball memorabilia, but also follow football and other sports memorabilia. One thing that is appealing about about vintage football memorabilia is the popularity of college teams.

Old 02-03-2006, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob Fouch

I started working on the 1955 Bowman set about a month ago. Just love how the set looks and the cards are pretty affordable in decent grade.

I'm a huge football fan, maybe even a little more than baseball. (That's blasphemy, I know, on this board. But being a Cubs fan will do that to a guy. Still love baseball and get obsessed with it whenever the Cubs are contenders.)

But for some reason, I like vintage baseball cards more than vintage football stuff. Longer history, I guess. More cards available.

I don't know much about early football cards and memorabilia. Have the prices exploded as they've done in baseball?
I do some dealing here and there in both baseball and football cards (50s and 60s primarily) and have found that football doesn't sell nearly as well.

Old 02-03-2006, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I used to have a fair number National Chickle and 1949 Bowman football in the 1980s, but with my limited budget now I am strictly a baseball card guy now. The closest thing to a vintage football card I have now is m101-5 Thorpe.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 02-03-2006, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: rp60

As a boy collected Football. No longer do. However I love those 1950 Bowmans. I follow the game, Giants fan , love the playoffs. But Baseball is the greater passion..Baseball has that LONG season. It makes the game unique!!

Old 02-03-2006, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike campbell

I only collect baseball memorabilia. I have an autographed T Shirt framed in my office, that was worn under Alan Page's jersey during one of our Super Bowl losses. I got it from his wife at a charity function, put on by the Alan Page Foundation. I started on the high school varsity football team, and had Viking season tickets for 8 years. But because of the recent antics of some of our players, owner and coach, I have no interst in ever attending another game, or collecting any football items. I have one Sam Huff card left over from my child hood. That's it, and there won't be any more. Baseball is what I love. Baseball is what I collect.

Old 02-03-2006, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: pete ullman

As a 28 yr collector baseball was always "it" for me. My sister used to have a great football card collection...all gone now. I'll collect other sport players I like...I have a phil simms rookie card and a roger staubach rookie. LT too!

Old 02-03-2006, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al Crisafulli

Hi Frank!

I used to follow football pretty closely as a kid in the late 70s and early 80s, but lost interest as an adult. I collected football cards as a kid, but nothing vintage. I sold off most of my stuff over the years, except for a few Dallas Cowboys items that remind me of my childhood.

Today I pay attention to football just enough so that I can answer whatever questions my kids ask me.

Conversely, baseball has always been my passion. Even as a kid I collected vintage cards (although not to the degree of many others here).

My collection today consists of about 98% baseball, with the occasional basketball card or CURRENT memorabilia from my favorite hoops team, the New Jersey Nets.

-Al

Old 02-03-2006, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

I do not collect Football memorabilia, but follow the sport of today rather closely. I'm a baseball kind of a guy, always have been and always will be.

DJ

Old 02-03-2006, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

I do not collect football cards/memorabilia and have little to no interest in professional football today. I thoroughly enjoy college football. I must admit for a few years when I was in grad school in Wisconsin I got into the Packers. But that has faded.
Jim

Old 02-03-2006, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

i remember when i was a young fella playing little league baseball
and some organized flag football, i absolutely loved my Y.A. Tittle,
Jim Brown, Johnny Unitas, Paul Hornung, Bart Starr---but that went away
well before I laid the baseball shinies to rest.
for 25 years i've been a vintage baseball man.
and proudly with trex,
a dinosaur.

best,

barry

Old 02-03-2006, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

nice cards, though. I still have a few laying around.

I know I will be spending Sunday afternoon coaching my daughter's baseball team in its first practice. Football? Bah, humbug! "Pitchers and catchers report" is what I want to hear. That or "Let's Get Ready To Rumble!"

Old 02-03-2006, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kyle

Hey, do you have a pic of that Thorpe? I've always wanted to see one.

Thanks!
-Kyle

Old 02-03-2006, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

I love football. I love to watch football. I will watch the worst football game over the best baseball game any day of the week. Football has replaced baseball as the national pastime. That is a fact.

I collect vintage and modern football. I only collect vintage baseball.

Old 02-03-2006, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Patrick McMenemy

I recently decided to collect a few tall boys from various sports from my youth.

Here's my first one:

Patrick

Old 02-04-2006, 06:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

i collect both....but my collection is leaning toward football.
information on vintage football is so lacking, it's like collecting vintage baseball in 70's.....and that's what make it so exciting to me.

the production quantities for sports other than baseball is so low that prices should really explode in the coming years.
national chicle and mayo prices have already jumped.

i agree with richard, football has become the country's national pastime. tv has done more for football than baseball, and that trend should continue.
even non-sport fans watch the playoffs and the super bowl.
the same is not true for the baseball playoff and world series.

Old 02-04-2006, 06:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

Super Bowl weekend is the end of the baseball offseason, in my opinion. I could never get into football (and really continue to dislike football) for several reasons:

(1) So few games. If the baseball season were 16 games long -- if the Yankees only had 8 home games a year -- do you know how popular a ticket baseball would be?

(2) Too much male-on-male touching. Reaching for the ball between the legs of another guy. On every play. And then having to hug the player with the ball and force him down to the ground. I don't get that at all.

(3) There is way too much down time between plays. Now, some people say baseball is slow because there is too much time between action, but I consider each pitch very interesting. And you only have between 20-30 seconds tops between each pitch.

Old 02-04-2006, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

if the $$$$ were there i would buy 1950's thru 1969 football/hockey sets. i used to collect all sports cards inc non sports(50'60's)but sold all to be able to concetrate on baseball alone about 10 years ago,as i don't have alot of $$.

Old 02-04-2006, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff

Hopefully with all of these people in town for the game, they will all take home a souvenir Detroit Lions player. Just leave the few that show up each weekend.

Adam about your post, nothing can compete with the UFC or Pride fighting.

Old 02-04-2006, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I have no idea what that means...

Old 02-04-2006, 12:49 PM
Administrator

My problem with the NFL is not the game itself, but some networks presentation of the games. I'm sure I'm not the only one who can live without cartoon expoloding scoreboards, and Terminator sound effects when a score is put on the screen. Two decent announcers and the game is enough.

I think baseball is a superior sport, but I grew up in Wisconsin which is a football state and where the Packers are king all across the state. As a little kid I would wear my Green Bay Packers uniform, including helmet and shoulder pads, to watch the game on TV. I now live in Seattle which is much more of a baseball town, as is definitely not as crazy about its NFL team as other cities. In part this because the Washington Huskies in past has had a top college football team and in part because the city is partial to the Mariners.

Old 02-04-2006, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff

"Let's Get Ready To Rumble!"

No problem Adam, at the start of a fight in the UFC they always say lets get ready to rumble. Have a nice day all

Old 02-04-2006, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Rose

Jeff- As a Lions fan myself, your message brought about a big laugh. But you forgot the real villains, Messrs. Ford Sr. and Jr. and Matt Millen, the biggest GM failure in recent memory. In professional sports, successes and failures ALL come from the top of each organization.

Frank Rose
Vintage Football Collectors Message Board
www.gridirongreats.net
Online Orders: www.helmethut.com
(Click Enter Store, Gridiron Greats Magazine Tab)

Old 02-04-2006, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

lol. I liked the Lions comment too. I am a huge fan of Billy Ford (Jr.) - have been ever since he started climbing through the ranks at Ford Motor in a race to the top w/his cousin Edsel. As CEO I think he has been refreshingly conscientious in considering environmental and human issues while doing a good job of running the company in general.

But as part of the Lions' exec structure? Wow. The misfires there have been startling, coming from a guy that I consider to be such a competent executive. Millen, the first time? We'll see. Millen 5-year extension? HUH?

Joan

Old 02-04-2006, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: darren

I collect and follow both

Old 02-04-2006, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Perhaps the biggest reason the Packers won their 1997 Super Bowl was GM Ron Wolf. When he traded a 2nd round pick for an Atlanta Falcolns backup quarterback (Brett Favre), more than a few Wisconsin sports writers and announcers that Wolf was nuts. It was considered a coup when Wolf signed Reggie White, as White was the most coveted defensive player in the NFL and he could have gone anywhere he wanted. Many thought there was no way the Southerner White would go to a small market in Wisconsin, in part because White has expressed a desire to go to a big city with a large minority population.

Old 02-04-2006, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean Coe

As a kid I collected quite a bit of football. Now It's mostly baseball except for a few Baltimore Colts items and some Unitas cards.

Old 02-04-2006, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony

For me, the only significance of the Super Bowl is that it signals to me that pitchers and catcher report in about 2 more weeks.
Great excuse for a party though.

Old 02-04-2006, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe brennan

Growing up in a football only city, (Buffalo, NY) I only collected football as a kid. Not quite vintage, I own 6 sets (in stages of completion from complete to almost) from 1961- 1967. I plan on adding to the collection any chance I get. I also plan on working backward from 1963 to 55 to have complete sets from 1955 to 1969. SOmeday anyways. joe

A scared man can't gamble and a jealous man can't work.