NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-01-2012, 08:43 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Default Help with Game Used Bat...

Hey guys,

I recently picked up a game used bat and wanted to find out if anyone had an idea on player, year, etc. for this bat... See scans below...any help is appreciated...

Thanks again!!!

This is what I know so far:

First name is MARK\
Team is ATLANTA BRAVES
What looks like s4 or 54 on bat handle bottom
Number 4 at end of barrel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 2.jpg (77.0 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg photo 1.jpg (77.2 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3.jpg (76.3 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg photo 4.jpg (75.4 KB, 176 views)
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 07-01-2012, 08:56 PM

I am no where near an expert (and don't even play one on TV). That said, I think that Louisville Slugger logo was first used after 1980. The only Mark on Atlanta Braves teams that I could think of during that period was Mark Lemke.

David
Old 07-01-2012, 09:16 PM

Default Braves Bat

Labeling on this one is 1991-97. Jeff Blauser wore #4 for the Braves those years, but I couldn't say whether this bat was used him or by another #4.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:21 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_master View Post
Labeling on this one is 1991-97. Jeff Blauser wore #4 for the Braves those years, but I couldn't say whether this bat was used him or by another #4.
Do you know what the significance of the name "Mark" would be if it was Blauser??
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

Old 07-01-2012, 10:10 PM
J Stone

It's not that usual for a players to share bats. If indeed this was a Lemke bat, it's possible that Blauser, for whatever reason was using the Lemke model bat. Blauser may have been in a slump and wanted to try another model, who knows?

If you can find a Blauser GU bat and a picture of the handle you can match the #4's.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:19 PM
pariah1107

This might be a stretch.... Looked up Atlanta Braves rosters 1981-2009. Here's what I got; Players for the Braves with the name Mark and a vertical line to start their last names; Mark Lemke, Mark Eichhorn, Mark DeRosa, and Mark Kotsay. I ruled out Mark Grant, Wohlers, Whiten, and Teixiera.

None of these players wore the number 4 while a Brave. However Kotsay did wear #4 earlier in his career, in Atlanta the number was assigned to Omar Infante in 2008. Kotsay did hit for the cycle that year (August 14). Don't know if Infante may have been trying to get his bat going by borrowing a teammates who had just hit for the cycle, or what. Impossible to verify.... rampant speculation.... completely irresponsible to suggest anything.. What the hell!
Old 07-01-2012, 11:50 PM

It's true that players once in a while used other players' bats.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseDog View Post
It's not that usual for a players to share bats. If indeed this was a Lemke bat, it's possible that Blauser, for whatever reason was using the Lemke model bat. Blauser may have been in a slump and wanted to try another model, who knows?

If you can find a Blauser GU bat and a picture of the handle you can match the #4's.
I'm guessing that MooseDog is correct. Lemke and Blauser were close friends and teammates on the Bravos.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:01 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Guys,

I found a game used Blauser bat to verify how the #4 was written on the bat...pretty close...check out the 4 on the left (Blauser bat) compared to 4 on the Mark bat..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39207g_braves.jpg (19.1 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg 39207h_braves.jpg (13.7 KB, 124 views)

Old 07-02-2012, 06:57 AM
J@RR0D

Pretty sure it's a Lemke model as well, as the other last names are too long to keep the correct centering with the team name below.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:50 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

So is the consensus that the bat is a Lemke model that could have been used by Lemke or Blauser?

Old 07-03-2012, 02:57 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

I'd go with that. I have an early Manny Ramirez game bat that I bought. the name engraved in the barrel was Tim Tony. The guy said Manny handed him the bat from the dugout in the 90's. I was like, who is Tim Tony? The end of the knob was blacked out with marker and a silver "24" written over it for Manny. Then I noticed the barrel end had been cupped and a "25" was written in there. Holy cow, Tim Tony is supposed to be Jim Thome! I guess the Cooper bat company mis-heard the name. It's not like anyone knew who Jim Thome was back then.