NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-31-2016, 05:58 PM

Default My Great Great Grandfather Deserves His Own T206

I think my Great, Great Grandfather on my moms side deserves his own T206!

This article was written by Gabriel Schechter:

In the annals of baseball history, the tale of Charles Victor "Victory" Faust is virtually unmatched for sheer strangeness and improbability. Arguably the least athletic person apart from Eddie Gaedel to play in the major leagues, Faust pitched in two games for the 1911 New York Giants and contributed two stolen bases to their record-setting total of 347. Before those game appearances, however, Faust made his mark as John McGraw's good-luck charm and mascot. His invincible jinxing powers inspired the Giants to win the National League pennants of 1911 and 1912, after which his luck ran out and he faded into oblivion for a half-century.

Faust was born in Marion, Kansas on October 9, 1880, the oldest of six children of John and Eva Faust. John Faust was German, and Charles inherited his thick German accent. Sadly, the parents outlived four of their children. Freddy died in infancy, Fred died as a teenager, Louise (the only daughter and the only one to have a child) lived only thirty-two years, and Charles died at thirty-four. The two survivors were John and George, who took over management of the family farm from John Sr. Charles, a slow-witted lad at best, was incapable of running the farm, making him a sore disappointment to his stern father. Little is known of his youth except that it must have been bleak; a child of the plains, he was not compatible with the land and had no discernible abilities or prospects for improving his lot.

Until one day in the summer of 1911, that is, when a trip to the county fair changed his life. At the end of July, when Faust traveled to St. Louis and introduced himself to John McGraw, he spun a tale of being told by a fortuneteller that he would pitch the Giants to the championship. The supremely superstitious McGraw gave the gawky (6-foot-2, 180 pounds) thirty-year-old a tryout. It was quickly apparent that Faust was not a ballplayer, so McGraw had a joke at his expense, conning him into circling the bases while the Giants infielders threw the ball away so he would slide into each base. He wound up at home plate covered with dust, his Sunday clothes torn and his skin raw, but the Giants won 9-0 that day, and when he showed up the next day, they let him cavort on the field again before the game. They won again and repeated the routine for a third day, but when they left St. Louis, McGraw gave Faust the run-around at the train station and continued on without him. After struggling through the rest of the trip, they returned to New York and found the eager Faust waiting for them at the Polo Grounds.

Faust had exactly enough brain-power to grasp firmly the one notion planted in his head by the fortuneteller, namely that he was destined to pitch the Giants to the title. Nothing could shake him from that conviction, as the events of the next two months proved. His success had nothing to do with athleticism; describing his first appearance in uniform at the Polo Grounds, John Wheeler of the New York Herald wrote, "he runs like an ice wagon and slides as if he had stepped off a trolley car backward. He plays ball as if he were a mass of mucilage." With Faust on hand, the Giants swept a doubleheader that day, and the Faust legend was born.

In short time, Faust became the star of the extended pre-game activities. He would shag fly balls (getting conked on the head more than once), demonstrate an array of clumsy slides, and pitch some batting practice, during which opponents including Honus Wagner would let him strike them out with his feeble tosses. Once the game started, Faust would either station himself beyond the outfield, warming up for innings at a time to be ready in case the Giants needed him, or sit on the bench, cheering on his teammates and predicting their base hits. Whatever he did worked. From the time he met McGraw in St. Louis to the day the Giants clinched the pennant, the team had a record of 39-9. When he was in uniform and exerting his jinxing powers, their record was an astonishing 36-2. There were some interruptions in his tour of duty. When McGraw refused to let him pitch in a game after his arrival in New York, he fled to Brooklyn for a couple of days to offer his services to that team, but returned to McGraw after being rebuffed. After three weeks in New York, he was so popular that he signed for a vaudeville engagement. When the Giants failed to win during his first three days treading the boards, he abandoned show business to return where he was truly needed, in time to join the team on a 22-game road trip. Naturally, they won the first ten games on the road, not losing until the second game of a doubleheader in St. Louis when local sportswriters detained him after the first game for an extended interview. That's what it took to beat the Giants when Faust was with them.

Despite the team's success, Faust was frustrated in his aim to fulfill the prophecy completely. No matter how many times he implored McGraw to let him pitch, the manager kept stringing him along. McGraw knew it would be a travesty to let Faust into a game, but he also saw how Faust's presence benefited the players. Good-natured and gullible, impervious to ridicule, Faust became the butt of incessant practical jokes, providing a humorous balance to McGraw's harshness that kept up team morale. It wasn't long before the players believed in his infallible jinxing abilities. Even Red Ames, dubbed "Kalamity" because of persistent bad luck, became a Faust convert; early in that September road trip during which the Giants went 18-4 and clinched the pennant, Ames declared, "I'm glad Faust is going to stick because he certainly has brought good luck to us all. . . .he is a great man for the team even if he never gets a chance to pitch."

Somehow, despite his fixation on fulfilling that prophecy, Faust managed to answer the needs of all New York baseball constituencies. He kept the players loose, he entertained crowds before the game, he helped McGraw move up in the National League standings, and he became the darling of the big-city sportswriters. There were thirteen daily newspapers in New York City, and reporters fighting for colorful material found a goldmine in Faust. They championed his ambitions, described his antics, reported the pranks, and delighted in the tug-of-war between Faust and McGraw. Chief among his boosters were Sid Mercer of the Globe, who sometimes carried two or three items a day about Faust's diversions, and Damon Runyon, a fellow Kansan newly arrived in New York that year, who seized on the novelty of this character and by season's end had him sounding like an early version of Nathan Detroit. After the Giants clinched the pennant with six games left on the schedule, they saw no reason for McGraw to prevent Faust from living out that prophecy in full.

Finally, McGraw relented, putting Faust in to pitch the ninth inning against Boston at the Polo Grounds. Bill Rariden greeted him with a long double, but he got lucky after that. Pitcher Lefty Tyler bunted Rariden over, and another long fly ball was caught, Rariden scoring. Then Mike Donlin, laughing along with the crowd at Faust's weak-armed heaves, grounded out. In the bottom of the ninth, Faust was on deck when the last out was made; however, as John Wheeler put it, "what are three outs to Faust?" Boston stayed in the field and let Faust bat, putting him through the same bases-circling routine McGraw did that first day back in St. Louis, until he was tagged out just shy of home plate. Faust left the field triumphant; against all odds, he had indeed pitched for the Giants and led them to the National League title. Five days later, he pitched again, the final inning of the season, and held Brooklyn scoreless. This time, he came to bat in turn in the bottom of the ninth, was hit by a pitch intentionally and allowed to steal second and third before scoring on a squeeze bunt to complete the burlesque.

Unfortunately, Faust's run of good luck stalled in the World Series; the Giants faced the Philadelphia Athletics of Connie Mack, who employed an experienced mascot, a hunchback dwarf named Louis Van Zelst. Van Zelst out-jinxed Faust, and with a little help from Home Run Baker, the Athletics defeated the Giants in six games. His bubble burst, Faust saw his stock fall further in mid-November when he had a disastrous second try at vaudeville. Playing at Willie Hammerstein's Victoria Theater, Faust performed so horribly in his first show that the next act refused to follow him again. The reviewer in Variety stated that "Vaudeville must be desperate when it will attach an 'act' of this sort to itself; also vaudeville must be lifeless to endure it."

After wintering back in Marion, Faust went on his own to Hot Springs, Arkansas, in February of 1912, attaching himself to Bill Dahlen's Brooklyn Superbas at spring training. His stated aim was to learn to pitch left-handed so he would be twice as valuable to McGraw, though McGraw seemed surprised to learn that Faust intended to rejoin the Giants. On February 29, 1912, Faust was allowed to pitch an entire game in Hot Springs, holding the opposition to four runs and further cementing the notion in his mind that he could be a real pitcher if given the chance. When camp broke, he foisted himself on McGraw again, and though the Giants no longer consented to pay his expenses on road trips, he was allowed to cavort as usual at the Polo Grounds.

Is it any surprise, then, that the 1912 Giants got off to one of the best starts in history? By late June they had a record of 54-11. Adding that to their record after Faust's arrival in 1911, the Giants won over 80% of their games during his tenure with the team. However, his insistence in 1912 that he really was a pitcher wore thin on McGraw, who came to regard him as no longer a laughable innocent but as a demented threat. He tried to get Faust to leave, but it took some devious persuasion by the players to get Faust to return to Kansas, ostensibly to await the inevitable summons from McGraw once it became clear how helpless the Giants were without him.

Indeed, as soon as Faust left, the team's fortunes turned, notably those of Rube Marquard, whose record was 33-2 while Faust was around. Marquard won his first nineteen decisions in 1912; in the week after Faust's departure, he lost three times, and he was a sub-.500 pitcher the rest of the season. Even though much of the team's lead in the standings evaporated, McGraw had no intention of bringing Faust back, and the team wound up winning the pennant again and losing the World Series again without their good-luck charm.

Faust never got near the major leagues again, though it wasn't for lack of trying. Over the next two years, he peppered McGraw and the National League office with requests for reinstatement on the team, with back pay for his contributions to their pennants. He moved to California, did odd jobs, then joined his brother John in Seattle, all the while petitioning for his return to New York. Gradually the delusion that he was a legitimate pitcher being deprived of his true destiny overtook him. In July 1914, no doubt sensing that the Giants were being threatened by the rise of the "Miracle Braves," he attempted to rejoin them. However, he did so by walking from Seattle to Portland, where police found him wandering the streets in a daze. After a hearing, he was sent to a mental hospital in Salem, where he listed his occupation as "professional ballplayer" on the admission form. After seven weeks in that institution, where he was diagnosed as suffering from "dementia," he was deemed "not improved" but released into his brother's custody. They returned to Seattle, but in December he was remanded to the Western State Hospital in Fort Steilacoom. On June 18, 1915, he died of tuberculosis, though it is unknown whether he had the disease before he was institutionalized or whether he contracted the disease there. He was buried in an open field across from the hospital, and his story appeared to be buried along with them.

Faust disappeared from public notice for fifty years, until Lawrence Ritter interviewed Fred Snodgrass, the centerfielder on the 1911-12 Giants. In The Glory of Their Times, Snodgrass recounted the Faust story, though he got many of his "facts" wrong, most notably stating that Faust stayed with the Giants for three years and did not appear in vaudeville until that third season. Despite the inaccuracies, Snodgrass spun a captivating tale of this real-life Forrest Gump, who through audacity more than ability had a significant impact on the Giants. Since then, Faust has become a cult figure amongst baseball aficionados, deservedly so considering the incredible performance of the Giants under his influence.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:01 PM
Anthony Rodriguez

Very nice read!
Old 03-31-2016, 08:46 PM
D0NN1E B

Ironically, I read the Snodgrass account just this evening in his chapter of The Glory of Their Times. Its a very interesting tale indeed. Thanks for posting and the clarificatons from how Snodgrass had remembered it.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:11 PM

Do we need to consider the date tommorow?
I know the Faust story is real but is the relation?
Old 03-31-2016, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason19th View Post
Do we need to consider the date tommorow?
I know the Faust story is real but is the relation?
I Think that You MiGHT be onta something here!
Considering No mention of Faust havin children & his Only surviving Sister had 1 Children, and She only Lived til she was 32 years old...
The Smell of "Fools Bait" is All Over this one

Faust was born in Marion, Kansas on October 9, 1880, the oldest of six children of John and Eva Faust. John Faust was German, and Charles inherited his thick German accent. Sadly, the parents outlived four of their children. Freddy died in infancy, Fred died as a teenager, Louise (the only daughter and the only one to have a child) lived only thirty-two years, and Charles died at thirty-four. The two survivors were John and George, who took over management of the family farm from John Sr. Charles, a slow-witted lad at best, was incapable of running the farm, making him a sore disappointment to his stern father.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:42 PM

Default Odd T206

I am looking for some serious advice regarding a strange T206 that I have in my collection. As I also enjoy humor; I would prefer serious comments with ideas in how I can proceed forward to find the best future home for this particular card(s).

For starters, I do not need to sell this card and would prefer to keep it in my collection though I have 3 1/2 years left on a huge alimony payment that haunts me and will continue to haunt me until I have it completely paid off. Don't get me wrong; I am not hard up for the money as I have been blessed with building my own business now on almost twenty years.

It appears this card made its way out of the printing factory and not inserted into a pack of cigarettes. Here is a brief description of the card:

1) Hand Cut
2) Double Struck Caption
3) Misaligned Plate by a lot
4) Color Shift by a lot
5) Missing Color/Hands, Face/Fleshtone
6) Team Insignia on Uniform Double Struck
7) Severe Off-Register
8) Reverse is shifted a little
9) No paper loss

I am pretty certain that this card has not been scanned, emailed, taken a pic of because it fell down the inside of a filing cabinet along with some other T206for almost 40+ years. The filing cabinet had a mental base and there these cards rested for almost 40+ years.

The other T206 in the bottom of the cabinet are strange also and consist of two cards of Southern Leaguers with double struck upside down backs. I haven't counted them but there are probably about two dozen cards that have a uniqueness to them to show that they all came from the same collector.

I firmly believe that these T206 need to all stay together and be sold as one lot as they may unlock some T206 unknowns.

Now with this all put forth, I don't feel that it is appropriate to show a front/back scan or pic here. I say this keeping the new owner in mind. Possibly he/she would not want these T206 shown to the public for the time being until possibly all research has been thoroughly done on them.

I am thinking about buying a scanner tomorrow and will post one or two partial scans of the card to show all Net54er's that this all is not just fluff. I know that I can scan the league designation in the caption to show that it has been double struck. I want also to show how far off the misaligned plate/color shift is (it is way, way off) without giving too much away but again I must proceed with care as the new prospective owner may not want to let anyone know any details about the card(s) until all research can be done.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:47 PM
D0NN1E B

Well this took an odd turn
Old 04-01-2016, 08:55 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer1999 View Post
Well this took an odd turn
Agreed, from an interesting story to a bizarre sales pitch.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Agreed, from an interesting story to a bizarre sales pitch.
I suspect the this has something to do with today's date. Good one....now who is the perpatrator?

Z

Last edited by Zach Wheat; 04-02-2016 at 07:51 AM.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:28 PM

Default Scans

So rather than buy a scanner I decided to go to my local print shop tonight and make three scans. I don't know if these will turn out fuzzy when posting but at least it gives you an idea on this particular card in regards to the double strike and color shift. These scans do not show how misaligned the entire card is. It is so cool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg League designation.jpg (22.7 KB, 676 views)
File Type: jpg cap 2.jpg (26.1 KB, 681 views)
File Type: jpg cap 4.jpg (15.7 KB, 677 views)
Old 04-01-2016, 10:37 PM

Default Scans

You guys, please forgive me. I did not intend to make this thread a B/S/T. I now see that possibly it should have been put in B/S/T but my intentions are simply looking for good advice rather than making a sale.

I am even looking for advice whether I should send it in to be graded but then the whole world will know this T206.

No hard feelings to anyone.

Take care Charlie
Old 04-01-2016, 10:39 PM

Default We aim to tease

Tease us some more.

Brian
Old 04-01-2016, 11:00 PM

This pic of Charles Faust would have made a good T206...anybody want to have a go at T206-erizing it?

Old 04-02-2016, 05:08 AM

Default mr faust....

pm sent

congrats! looks like legit scrap........email me for your appraisal
Old 04-02-2016, 05:33 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Faust III View Post
You guys, please forgive me. I did not intend to make this thread a B/S/T. I now see that possibly it should have been put in B/S/T but my intentions are simply looking for good advice rather than making a sale.

I am even looking for advice whether I should send it in to be graded but then the whole world will know this T206.

No hard feelings to anyone.

Take care Charlie

The advantages of your marketing skills will one day be heralded as brilliant in graduate schools everywhere. I, for one, am going to get on the bandwagon early. In the future none of my listings will include a scan of what I am selling, as I, too, take the buyer's confidentiality very seriously.

And to be fair, if you want to sell me a card, just name your price. I don't need to know who it is or what issue it is from or the condition. If I like your price, I will simply pay. One cannot dicker without a frame of reference and I won't even try.

I am also working on a new form of payment called Ethereal Pay Pal. Funds in my EPP account are light and airy. They are not tied to a real bank account. Reconciliation of your account is unnecessary, because your account is guaranteed. If I can get Amazon to sign on to EPP, I think it will take off.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:45 AM
Bill

Call me Ishmael...
Old 04-02-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
.....Faust disappeared from public notice for fifty years, until Lawrence Ritter interviewed Fred Snodgrass, the centerfielder on the 1911-12 Giants. In The Glory of Their Times, Snodgrass recounted the Faust story, though he got many of his "facts" wrong, most notably stating that Faust stayed with the Giants for three years and did not appear in vaudeville until that third season......
Actually when you hear Fred Snodgrass tell the Faust story in his own words - and he was a great story teller - he tells it with such passion and emotion 55+ years later, you can almost see the events unfold in front of you.

I bought the Audible edition of this book ie original interviews used to construct the book. Hearing the old base ball players tell their stories in their own words really brought this era to life. You get a better feel for their personality - particularly when guys like Rube Marquard recount how he hitchhiked for days to make his baseball debut & being adopted by the "firemen"; or Davey Jones tell about getting his first pair of spikes - or even TY Cobb's team mates tell various anecdotes.

Not meaning to digress - but Snodgrass' story of C Faust was one of the best in the original audio tape.

Ok, fess up - who was the perpatrator of this prank?? Well done & quite imaginative.

Z
Old 04-02-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
if you want to sell me a card, just name your price. I don't need to know who it is
To the respected gentleman from Northern Wisconsin. I cannot name a price here because this is not the B/S/T.

I am though, looking for your many collective years of wisdom as to how I should handle this card and this group of cards out of the same filing cabinet collection that has been in the dark for 40+ years.

Many kind people have commented in this thread regarding the contents within but I am still looking for advice.

I am at a critical dilemma. I firmly believe not to plaster scans of this card all over the worldwide web. I also believe in not attaching it to any emails. It must be kept in complete confidentiality for the future buyers sake. He may have and may want every single T206 in his collection to be a pre-internet virgin. Do you get what I am trying to say or convey here?

Now let's talk about pricing. No price will be mentioned here but I will use two examples to make my point.

Let's assume that you think that I have some wisdom about T206 and their values. Let's also assume that I am not conscienceless (unscrupulous). I know, they always say to never assume but in this example; let's assume.

I first pose this question: What would today's value of an undiscovered T206 be worth? I am not saying whether this is or is not an undiscovered T206. Let's say that his last name, team and league designation appear on the T206.

Are we talking 2 mil, 1 mil, half a mil, 100k etc? If I told you that I wanted 1 mil for it, would you then assume that it is an unknown T206 just discovered? Keep in mind that I am unscrupulous (meaning not out to take advantage of anyone at any cost).

If I asked $8k for it, would you then assume that it is a T206 that is known already?

Do you believe that we are the only life-forms that exist? If your answer to this particular question is almost certainly No; then you must believe that there are more T206; there has to be!

Last edited by Charlie Faust III; 04-02-2016 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-02-2016, 04:37 PM
Ben North

Quote:
To the respected gentleman from Northern Wisconsin. I cannot name a price here because this is not the B/S/T.

I am though, looking for your many collective years of wisdom as to how I should handle this card and this group of cards out of the same filing cabinet collection that has been in the dark for 40+ years.

Many kind people have commented in this thread regarding the contents within but I am still looking for advice.

I am at a critical dilemma. I firmly believe not to plaster scans of this card all over the worldwide web. I also believe in not attaching it to any emails. It must be kept in complete confidentiality for the future buyers sake. He may have and may want every single T206 in his collection to be a pre-internet virgin. Do you get what I am trying to say or convey here?

Now let's talk about pricing. No price will be mentioned here but I will use two examples to make my point.

Let's assume that you think that I have some wisdom about T206 and their values. Let's also assume that I am not conscienceless (unscrupulous). I know, they always say to never assume but in this example; let's assume.

I first pose this question: What would today's value of an undiscovered T206 be worth? I am not saying whether this is or is not an undiscovered T206. Let's say that his last name, team and league designation appear on the T206.

Are we talking 2 mil, 1 mil, half a mil, 100k etc? If I told you that I wanted 1 mil for it, would you then assume that it is an unknown T206 just discovered? Keep in mind that I am unscrupulous (meaning not out to take advantage of anyone at any cost).

If I asked $8k for it, would you then assume that it is a T206 that is known already?

Do you believe that we are the only life-forms that exist? If your answer to this particular question is almost certainly No; then you must believe that there are more T206; there has to be!
I understand your quest for complete secrecy. I have a few of the clear transparent cellulous T206's that are also unknown to the collecting community. Good luck with the sale/quest for offers or what ever it is you are doing.
Old 04-02-2016, 04:46 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:

Be careful whom you call respected. I hope you can back that up.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 04-02-2016, 05:32 PM

Anyone that has satisfied over 190 Board members has got to be respected.

I also have not come across a doctor in my life so far which I have not respected.

Respectfully yours,

Charlie
Old 04-02-2016, 05:41 PM

Default Dr. in the house

If there is one thing for sure in this world we live, Frank knows how to satisfy multiple board members, usually more than one at a time.

Brian (not a doctor, but I play with one on tv)
Old 04-02-2016, 05:42 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Quote:
.................................... whom I have not respected.

Respectfully yours,

Charlie
Not which.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 04-02-2016, 05:49 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Quote:
.................................... whom I have not respected.

Respectfully yours,

Charlie
Not which.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 04-02-2016, 05:58 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Not which.
I don't know Frank, with a double post 7 minutes apart it might be "witch" doctor.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:17 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I don't know Frank, with a double post 7 minutes apart it might be "witch" doctor.
You may be right. I certainly am not a "womb" doctor.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:25 PM

Thank you for the correction Frank. It is "whom".

I have made a mental note of it. Tell me people don't get educated from these threads; I love it!
Old 04-02-2016, 08:05 PM
Daniel

Default WHo?

Who's on first?
Old 04-02-2016, 08:24 PM
N
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMAXMAX View Post
Who's on first?
What's on second, that's all I know.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:51 PM
Daniel

Default Who

Who's on Faust,I mean...(?)
Old 04-02-2016, 11:02 PM
Charles
Cha.rles

I checked this thread today, fully expecting Charlie to reveal that just about everything he has written here was all part of some elaborate April Fool's prank. I guess I was wrong.

At this point, I have to ask: I'm I the only one here (in this thread) who feels that he's the lone sane person in an insane asylumn full of lunatics?

- Charles

Check out my collection..........
http://ImageEvent.com/The_Cardfather

Check out my stuff for sale.........
(Message me for Net54 members direct sale discount.)
https://www.ebay.com/str/thecardfathersstore
Old 04-03-2016, 12:14 AM
Eric Perry

I wonder if he's aware that a set was already released in Faust's honor. Jeff B. called it T214.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:09 AM

With a name like Faust, it is a T206 of the devil itself.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:34 AM

Default Wiltse it is he

Just figured out that the slivers of the card shown are from a Wiltse pitching (maybe someone can post an image of this card). I could recognize that jawline anywhichwhere.

Brian (one of the non-sane ones)
Old 04-03-2016, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
Just figured out that the slivers of the card shown are from a Wiltse pitching (maybe someone can post an image of this card). I could recognize that jawline anywhichwhere.

Old 04-03-2016, 03:55 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post

Brian, I was pulling for ol' Jesse, then I would be a sans sane great-great grandson that I could be proud of. As it is I'll just retire to my womb of a different culler.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Brian, I was pulling for ol' Jesse, then I would be a sans sane great-great grandson that I could be proud of. As it is I'll just retire to my womb of a different culler.
A womb of a different culler...a classic worthy of the saneless offspring of Mr. Burkett
Old 04-03-2016, 09:57 AM

Thanks Dewey for the image of the old flat face Wiltse himself.

Brian
Old 04-03-2016, 12:10 PM
S Gross

Brian,

Actually, a very derogatory slander to early German immigrants to the upper mid-West was "Pie Face." Looking at photos/cards of Wiltse, Scheafer, Lobert, etc. actually show were the unfortunate inspiration came from.

Nothing much added here ...............

Scott
Old 04-03-2016, 01:59 PM
Alex

That is an awesome story! Thanks for sharing it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 04-03-2016, 05:58 PM
Jeff C.

So are there any rust stains on any of the aforementioned never released T206s that were in the filing cabinet for over 40 years? Or was the filing cabinet wooden? This "find" could really screw up Ted Z's years of research.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:58 PM

Default Hi All!

I have been very busy with work so can't get on as often as I would like.

First of all, I need to thank a T206 Board Brother here for sending me a sweet looking mc T206 today. It is awesome and you rock!

I commend my T206 brothers for doing T206 research and trying to piece this card together. We need more to jump on the research band wagon so that sheet layout possibly one day will come to fruition. Once I feel that a good amount of guys are on board; I will continue to release little scans of the card as we go. This should be fun!! Don't get your hopes up too high but it is ok to dream.

From this date forward, I will call my gggggggrandfather simply grandfather to save bandwidth.

Many laugh at my grandfather and make fun of him because they think that he was making a mockery of the game. I know deep inside otherwise though that he was as serious as heck. My mom tells me that her mom told her that he wanted to play every day and when he came home after a home game; grams would ask him if he played today and his reply was always the same; "No but that's alright ma; its all about the team and we are winning".

Did my grandfather know that people were making fun of him? He sure did and he loved it. It was his way of making his team relax so that they could excel.

Don't know whether a story is true that he played in the minors in 1909 and 1910. Still trying to research that.

I mean why shouldn't he have a T206 if he did play in 1909 and 1910? I mean, jeez, there are minor leaguers in the T206 set too.

My 1909 T206 Tracker of Unknown Subjects seems to be endless. I'm still researching it and am barely through my 1909 traded spreadsheet. From my spreadsheet I looked at the top players with A and B in their last name and there are still more B's. Players not found on a T206 (YET) to the likenesss of: Filipino Dave Altizer, Jimmy Archer, Jimmy "Pepper" Austin, Chick Autry, Scotty Barr, Cuke Barrows, Heinie Beckendorf, Harry Bemis, Walter "Heavy" Blair, Coonie Blank, Cliff Blankenship and on and on and on...

...and you say there are no other T206?

Keith O. proved that wrong when he landed some unknown Southern Leaguers a while back. I think there are more Brown Hindu's

Take care Charlie

Last edited by Charlie Faust III; 04-05-2016 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:15 PM
Jimmy Knowle$

The Keith O. card was a personalized card - not T206. He needed it to make ends meet after his last firing. If just he and Don West could just hold hands for a minute!
Old 04-05-2016, 08:00 PM

I'm talking about the Keith O. Southern Leaguer T206 proofs.

I mean, why go thru all of the hassle making a plate and then not do a test run of the cards or just run a few sheets.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:47 AM
Ben North

Has anybody figured out what this thread is yet? I am still not sure if it is a weird extra long April fools joke or not.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:35 AM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Default fletcher - switcher

i would guess that (for reasons I cannot fathom), he flipped the player images. If I take those images and flip horizontally, I believe it's a match to Fletcher:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fletcher.JPG (69.1 KB, 224 views)
Old 04-08-2016, 05:15 PM
Scott
Scott All.en

Bored at work on a Friday waiting to go play poker...

Old 04-15-2016, 09:59 AM

Default Mystery Solved!!!

t206hound, you are da man!

Yes, it is the T206 of Fletcher. I will download a complete scan of the card as soon as I find some time this weekend. It is so cool.

It appears that I was super tired when putting the scans on my thumb drive and the reversed the images. Nice detective work - congrats.

I will get back to my T206 bros soon. I need sleep though - super heavy work schedule.

Lastly, I need to ask for forgiveness from all because I failed to list the credits in Gabriel's article written about my past great, great grandfather. Gabriel, you are the best!

Take care Charlie

Sources

Burkholder, Edwin V. "The Curious Case of Charley Faust." Sport. 8:6 (June 1950).

Busch, Thomas S. "In Search of Victory: The Story of Charles Victor ('Victory') Faust." Kansas History. 6:2 (Summer 1983).

Mathewson, Christy. Pitching in a Pinch. New York: Grosset and Dunlap, 1912.

McGraw, John. My Thirty Years in Baseball. Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, 1995.

Ritter, Lawrence. The Glory of Their Times. New York: Macmillan, 1966.

Schechter, Gabriel. Victory Faust: The Rube Who Saved McGraw's Giants. Los Gatos, California: Charles April Publications, 2000.

Seymour, Harold. Baseball: The Golden Age. New York: Oxford University Press, 1971.

Newspapers from Arkansas, Boston, Brooklyn, Chicago, Cincinnati, New York,
Philadelphia, Portland (Oregon), Seattle, St. Louis, Tacoma, and Topeka, as well as Marion County, Sporting Life, Sporting News, and Variety.

Player files at the National Baseball Library in Cooperstown, New York: Red Ames,
Beals Becker, Al Bridwell, Doc Crandall, Eddie Dent, Art Devlin, Josh Devore,
Mike Donlin, Larry Doyle, Louis Drucke, Steve Evans, Art Fletcher, Grover Hartley, Buck Herzog, Arlie Latham, Rube Marquard, Christy Mathewson, Bert Maxwell, John McGraw, Fred Merkle, Chief Meyers, Red Murray, Bill Rariden, Bugs Raymond, Wilbert Robinson, Fred Snodgrass, Lefty Tyler, Art Wilson, Hooks Wiltse.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:24 PM

Default Thankyou!

Scott, thank you first of all for making a rendition of his baseball card. Very cool - I am getting it printed and framing it.

T206 Brothers et all, since Erick did his research thoroughly on the scrap of Fletcher that I have; here are the jpeg's.

Take care Charlie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cap 1.jpg (20.0 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg cap 3.jpg (21.7 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg card 5.jpg (75.5 KB, 134 views)

Last edited by Charlie Faust III; 04-15-2016 at 06:25 PM.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:29 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Charlie,

I think it's pretty cool that you're researching players that could/should have appeared in the set. There are definitely some that shouldn't have made the cut while others got missed. You never know what could turn up. Your research has the potential of being more interesting than some of the crazy grasping for variations that I read about. I'm enjoying your enthusiasm.

E