NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-23-2008, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Default Spotting fake T206 cards??

Posted By: JBBAMA

Hey guys, was wondering if you could offer any tips on what to look for when buying ungraded T206 cards? Or tell me where to get some more info on what to look for. The only T206 i own now is graded (bought that way).....as well as all of my vintage. With all the bogus cards floating around i am trying to better educate myself about this topic. Thanks as always, JB

Old 10-23-2008, 08:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

Click on the link at the top of the page "Detecting Alterations and Reprints". Lots of good info there.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I am sure some folks will chime in. One of the best ways to spot fakes is to handle a lot of real ones.....without slabs of course. Get to know the feel of the paper and the general characteristics by close examination and under a magnifying glass. Also, we have a section dedicated to spotting fakes and alterations. David Rudd, as well as many other folks, have some excellent info in there as well .....Lastly, this board's members are really good about helping out on specific cards and issues when threads are posted. take care

http://www.network54.com/Index/85511

Old 10-23-2008, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Levy

I agree with Leon. However, there are some tell tale signs of many of the common fakes....here are a few:

1) The name of the player and team should be brown ink. Many fakes simply print the name/team in black and this is an easy way to tell a reprint immediately.

2) The paper has a certain look/feel to it. Thicker or glossier issues are almost certainly fake.

3) There are known back variations and ones that do not meet these known variations are 99.99% likely to be fake. For example, the Old Mill back never has "Old Mill" printed in red (but several fakes do). Piedmont always has a factory number (some fakes don't). Also some cards aren't found with certain backs....Demmitt and O'Hara St. Louis are only printed with Polar Bear for instance.

4) In addition to looking for fakes, you should keep your eye our for trimmed cards. These are much harder to detect in scans, but in person the edges will look a certain way...showing the natural 'roll' of the paper from a machine cut.

My best recommendation is to purchase 5-10 low grade raw cards from someone on the board (or a local card dealer you trust). For %50-$100 you can start to learn first hand how they feel, look and sometimes even smell.

Regards,
Scott

Old 10-23-2008, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

For any issue-- whether it's T206, 1933 Goudey or 1978 Topps-- if you have some genuine cards in hand, including commons, you will have little trouble identifying reprints and counterfeits. A reprint T206 is noticeably differ than an original, due to different card stock, gloss, thickness, graphics quality, other. If spread out on a table with real cards, the reprint will often stand out like a sore thumb.

Also, by handling genuine cards, you will be better at identifying reprints online. Again, many reprints look bad or otherwise suspect even in online images.

Even looking at the online images of a reputable auction house, like REA and Barry Sloate helps. After all, these auction houses are showing you what the real versions look like.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony S.

JB,

Do yourself a favor and buy a few very low grade real T206's as well as a couple reprints. When you see them side by side, you'll see how easy it is to tell the difference.

The font on the bottom front is usually the dead giveaway. As Scott mentioned, the font color for the player's name and team on real T206's is brown, whereas it's black on most reprints. In addition the letters in the name and team are always more tightly bunched on reprint sets. And finally, the first letter of the team name is slightly larger than the rest of the letters in the team name on real T206's. On fakes, all the letters are the exact same size.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Smith

JBBAMA,

Do you live in Alabama and, if so, what part?

David

Old 10-23-2008, 12:36 PM
Administrator

I do........Trussville.........Wow! Guys thanks for all the tips, it will be harder to tell if authentic just from scans, however you guys have given me several ideas and solid advice. Thanks!

Old 10-23-2008, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Smith

BAMA,

I REALLY hope you are NOT using this board by trying to get info on how to scam people with FAKE cards. In the last couple of years, there has been a couple of scam artists from around your area (George Hudson and friends from Anniston and Gadsden, etc).

For those who don't remember these scams just go and use the search function and look up George Hudson, Anniston and Alabama.

If you are on the up and up, I apologize. HOWEVER, anytime I hear about that area of the country and old baseball cards, I IMMEDIATELY think "SCAM ARTIST" and "FAKE CARDS".

David

Old 10-23-2008, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Dont know any of those people you named, i am only interested because i just recently obtained my first t206 (graded) and was thinking of collecting some of the HOF players a little cheaper (raw)(graded are more obviously). If i were trying to be deceptive i certainly would have tried harder........ ps i have over 1280 transactions on ebay and 100% feedback. Just FYI........Gadsden/Anniston are 40-50 miles away.

JB