NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-26-2006, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Default What would you do if ebay charged a buyer's premium?

Posted By: John S

With all their recent rate hikes I would not be surprised if this is in the future plans. Did they vow never to do this? I just received my monthly invoice from ebay and was shocked at the amount just for selling a dozen or so items. I would definitely limit my bidding to very unique items if I had to pay to buy.

Old 07-26-2006, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I don't think they would charge the buyer, as rebelious buyers is what they don't want. Whether by Google or whomever esle, an upstart auction site would advertise, "We don't charge the buyers to win," and that might finally be the impetuous for a new auction house to succeed where others have failed.

Also, eBay would have to start requiring buyers to have credit card on file, as I don't think they want to receive checks in the mail or 25 cents and 10 cents (and many wouldn't pay). Requiring credit card numbers is something eBay has not done, as it would lower the number of bidders.

Old 07-26-2006, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

If eBay charged a buyer's premium, then Amazon would likely enter the auction market immediately, in a big way.

However, I would just handle it the same way I handle anyplace that charges a buyer's premium, inflated shipping, etc. - I'd just factor the extra cost into my bid. And maybe I'd use the B/S/T more often.

-Al

Old 07-26-2006, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay

Although it would be an operational issue because all bidders would have to have credit card information in the system so they could be billed I don't think it would affect me in the least. You bid what you are willing to pay for an item. The fee would just become part of the cost and I would adjust accordingly.

Old 07-30-2006, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Noel

I think i would treat them as i will every other auction house that adds a "buyers premium"...abstain. This seems to be so assinine in so many ways. What a concept, charging someone a fee for buying your product. I am sure that someone who consigns to these auction houses gets shelled for a "consigners premium". That i understand. Along with the outlandish shipping fees of auction houses, the buyers premiums seem to be a slap in the face to the consumer. I understand it, i just dont get it.

Old 07-30-2006, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

I would also treat it like every other auction that charges one and figure the BP into the purchase price. It is simply a way to get more from the consigner without sounding like they are doing it. They can say, "We will only charge 5% or 10%." and what they really mean is they charge 22.5% or 27.5%. I just do the math and proceed accordingly.

The question is really irrelavent for Ebay buyers in my opinion. It only affects sellers in that what it really means is that Ebay would be getting a bigger cut. But if buyers are smart, they will just figure it in to how they want to bid.
Jimb