NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 07-29-2023, 12:05 PM

Default Barry Larkin -- Undervalued?

Yes, he has a lot of cards out there, but some of the rarer ones like 87 Topps Tiffany and his Fleer rookie, seem very, VERY, undervalued given his accomplishments. I think history is going to look back very favorably on his legacy. It's not just the stats, but the fact that he played for one team, was one of very few team captains, Roberto Clemente and Lou Gehrig award winner, and will likely be remembered as one of the best shortstops to ever play the game.

You can get a PSA10 Topps Tiffany rookie card for under $200 right now. What am I missing? (For the record, I am not a seller of any cards on any platform -- I'm a pure buy and hold forever collector.)
Old 07-29-2023, 02:59 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Larkin has some passionate supercollectors, but 80s/90s fans don't really treat him like a Hall of Famer. I think unless the item is drastically limited (90s rare inserts), Larkin's not a good investment compared to guys like Griffey or Mattingly.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 07-29-2023, 03:13 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk400 View Post
Yes, he has a lot of cards out there, but some of the rarer ones like 87 Topps Tiffany and his Fleer rookie, seem very, VERY, undervalued given his accomplishments. I think history is going to look back very favorably on his legacy. It's not just the stats, but the fact that he played for one team, was one of very few team captains, Roberto Clemente and Lou Gehrig award winner, and will likely be remembered as one of the best shortstops to ever play the game.

You can get a PSA10 Topps Tiffany rookie card for under $200 right now. What am I missing? (For the record, I am not a seller of any cards on any platform -- I'm a pure buy and hold forever collector.)
That set is not nearly as limited as some of the other Tiffany sets, and Larkin is just not a very glamorous player -- infielder without a great deal of power on a small market team.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-29-2023, 04:09 PM
Tim Odeen

Larkin is a generational gap player - like Cal Rpiken Jr - bridging defense first SS era of Ozzie Smith and others to the offensive juggernauts of Derek Jeter, ARod, and Nomar. He is the greatest SS of the 90s. And statheads argue he was a better offensive player than Jeter.

He is overshadowed by his steroid era contemporaries, but in time he might be better recognized for his accomplishments. He was the first 20/20 SS. While you might say he is undervalued, his card prices went bonkers over the last 3 years and are resettling on a new higher floor. His 1998 Topps Tek cards shot up in price and have stayed relatively high.

His best RC is from the team released Kahns set. Other undervalued cards - if you want to call them that, are 1993 Topps Finest Refractor, 1996 - 1999 Topps Chrome refractors, late 90s auto cards (Donruss Signatures among others), and the numbered insert sets /100 or less. His cards from 2000 - 2005 don't command prices like his late 90s cards.

Don't be fooled thinking there isn't a following for Larkin. His scarcer cards are bid on heavily. But unlike KGJ, his scarcer cards are not minimum $1000. He will never garner that kind of attention.

The collage is based off his 1992 Bowman card, which is my favorite condition sensitive card. Good luck finding one with gold foil that hasn't been dinged.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 07-29-2023, 05:18 PM
Peter Spaeth

My Larkin. The Kahn while rare just didn't appeal to me between it being a pinhead shot and even at that his face being somewhat obscured.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg larkin.jpg (192.7 KB, 132 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-29-2023, 05:44 PM
Dave

My only Larkin, from my Pre-Rookie photo collection. Type 1 Press photo when he was with The University of Michigan, just before being drafted by the Reds.

Also my only Beckett slabbed photograph. You can probably see how comically large and bulky it is. If I ever want to free it from the slab I'll probably have to rent a Jaws of Life tool to get it out.
Old 07-29-2023, 05:54 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
My only Larkin, from my Pre-Rookie photo collection. Type 1 Press photo when he was with The University of Michigan, just before being drafted by the Reds.

Also my only Beckett slabbed photograph. You can probably see how comically large and bulky it is. If I ever want to free it from the slab I'll probably have to rent a Jaws of Life tool to get it out.
1000% jealous. I want something pre-rookie for him and it is extremely hard to find. He doesn't have MiLB cards like other 1990 Reds.

Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 07-29-2023, 06:22 PM
Tim Odeen

Hot Gloves, very popular insert set. Not premium price for Larkin, but big price for KGJ.

Last edited by todeen; 07-29-2023 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-29-2023, 11:12 PM
Tim Odeen

2002 Topps 206 Uzit back, #/112

Old 07-30-2023, 06:43 AM

i absolutely suck at posting pics, but my favorite larkin is his 1987 toys r us card. the black background makes it pop, and i've always leaned toward oddball cards.
Old 07-30-2023, 06:53 AM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyhockey View Post
i absolutely suck at posting pics, but my favorite larkin is his 1987 toys r us card. the black background makes it pop, and i've always leaned toward oddball cards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg larkin_.jpg (128.7 KB, 114 views)
Old 07-30-2023, 10:26 PM
Tim Odeen

The Kahn's card we've been talking about. I got mine for $50 (complete set). But prices are all over the place: $35 - $150.

And 1992 Donruss Elite. This is another card for Larkin that is undervalued when compared against KGJ prices. However, it's #/10k, so due to scarcity it's not difficult to obtain. The oversized elite is #/5000. But it's still popular nonetheless.

Last edited by todeen; 07-31-2023 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-30-2023, 11:18 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Seems priced about right for a middling HOFer on a team not from New York or LA.
Old 07-31-2023, 08:15 AM
Tony Baldwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post

Love the press photo. Great piece to own!
Old 08-01-2023, 03:19 PM
Tim Odeen

another of his more desirable cards.

Old 08-01-2023, 03:34 PM
Jeremy

I'm a big Larkin fan, and agree that he is underappreciated. Here is my copy of his RC, and my favorite 80's set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img504bl.jpg (170.7 KB, 60 views)