NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-12-2012, 09:57 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklitzke View Post
Hey All,

So I have the "Hans" Wagner card in orange and the Johnny Evers card in green from the E98 set.... We found them when clearing out my great-grandfather's attic in 1990. I've never really know what they were worth. They are not in mint condition, but there is very little discoloration on the white border and they still have crisp corners. Do you think they'll be worth much after this influx of cards from the Black Swamp Find...?

Thanks!
Yes they will definitely still have good value but it is sort of hard to say where all of this is going to put the other cards already in the hobby. No doubt that red ones already in the hobby will take bit of a hit, with so many high grades ones being found. It's hard to fathom they wouldn't come down some. Other colors, it's just too hard to say right now. Would love to see scans of them too.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:06 AM
Scott R

I posted this days ago and it got moved to watercooler talk???
Old 07-12-2012, 10:10 AM

I'll see if I can get some scans up in the next few days... they've been packed away for a while so I've gotta dig em out
Old 07-12-2012, 10:17 AM
Barry Sloate

I would be interested to know what percentage of the collection Heritage plans to sell privately. If nearly all are sold privately, and only a small group reaches auction, then prices might actually remain pretty strong. The fewer sold publicly, the greater the demand for the remaining ones.

I think for those collectors who want to make a serious investment in these, it's probably pretty tough to figure out what they're worth. I guess it's going to take some time for the market on these to stabilize, and I would expect some volatility early on.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:28 PM

Default e98 buyers

it is my opinion that the high end ones will fly away fast....there are so many collectors with deep pockets, maybe some more active than others, but they will want to add these gems to their already staggering portfolios....and to have at least one for bragging rights...this is only common sense....Barry, are you adding any to your fabulous collection? They are beautiful, I hope I will be able to see some up close in Baltimore...Barry, speaking of BALTIMORE, any chance I can talk you into coming down to the national? I'll buy your badge...it would be great to see you....Bruce Perry
Old 07-12-2012, 02:39 PM
Barry Sloate

Hi Bruce- thanks for the invite, and it would be great to see you after so long. But I won't be in Baltimore. That Saturday is my 60th birthday so I will be with Judy for a little celebration. And my collection is gone....sold it quite a while ago. But I sure do like those E98's- they are tempting. Have fun at the National.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:44 PM

well Barry, HAPPY 60TH to be! (soon) I will toast you at dinner on Aug 4....I crossed the 60 plateau last April, and am feeling good! Please say hello to Judy for me....Bruce
Old 07-12-2012, 03:07 PM
Barry Sloate

You know I sort of remember that you were a few months my senior...

I will tell Judy and please likewise send my good wishes to Pat. Hope she is doing well.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Yes they will definitely still have good value but it is sort of hard to say where all of this is going to put the other cards already in the hobby. No doubt that red ones already in the hobby will take bit of a hit, with so many high grades ones being found. It's hard to fathom they wouldn't come down some. Other colors, it's just too hard to say right now. Would love to see scans of them too.
Hey...

Here are some photos of my cards... what ya'll think?

Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-07-14 13.18.25.jpg (36.4 KB, 649 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-07-14 13.18.52.jpg (31.5 KB, 650 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-07-14 13.28.40.jpg (35.8 KB, 653 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-07-14 13.29.25.jpg (37.5 KB, 651 views)
Old 07-14-2012, 03:34 PM
pete ullman

Honus looks very nice... but then again it's so common!!!
Old 07-14-2012, 05:00 PM
Matt Hall

It's the now "rare" orange version!
Old 07-14-2012, 05:20 PM
Mulhall777

Thanks for the video post! Seems like the media has been pretty straight forward about the find and has not twisted it like most news stories. I hope I didn't just jinx it

I would have to say that the closest thing I've had to a "Black Swamp Like Find" was about 15 years ago when I was helping a buddy of mine re-shingle his roof. I pulled off one of the shingles and found a handful of T206's. At first my heart stopped, as I knew they were tobacco cards due to the famous Wager everyone in the hobby has seen. Some of the cards were too damaged to even tell the players names and could barley see the photos. I don't recall the exact cards we unearthed from his roof, but at the time they were only going on eBay for less than $100 and in much better condition. My buddy collected at the time, so I just let him have them. He did provide lunch and beer for the roofing job, so no complaints. Only if one of the cards were a a big name, for a minute...I had that glimmer of hope and possibility which caused my spine to tingle. We never figured out why the cards were there under a roof shingle, but that's what makes finds like this great...their totally unexpected and can happen anywhere at anytime
Old 07-15-2012, 12:00 AM
Joel

Rarest of all...

Old 07-15-2012, 12:15 AM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklitzke View Post
Hey...

Here are some photos of my cards... what ya'll think?

Michael
very nice wagner...if the white lines on his legs are not creases or wrinkles it looks like an easy 4.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:23 AM
Barry Sloate

Nice one Joel....yesterday I started a Mike Trout thread in the watercooler section.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:54 AM

Default joel and bosoxfan

LOL!!!

All i find is bats in my belfry
Old 07-15-2012, 09:44 AM

HAHA! Great parody card, Joel, and nice reference to Spinal Tap.

And nice real cards, Michael. As stated, the Wagner could go up to PSA 5 if crease/wrinkle-free. The Evers is real nice, too, although the upper crease could put it into a PSA 2 holder if graded. The nice thing is neither of your cards are red back, so this find shouldn't affect their value too much.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:59 PM
Joel

Not my work guys. I thought I'd share it though. It was made by a very good custom cut auto maker on another forum.