NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-01-2009, 07:39 PM
Administrator

Default the wacky world of 3rd party buying!!

Posted By: marty q

the psa goodwin sold for almost double the sgc wich i won. i was able to view the mile high in person, but not the goodwin, is it that much better?? assume we are buying the card and not the holder. this is not a graded only thread, anybody feel free to add your 2 cents as i collect both graded and raw, matter of fact my entire topps and bowman run are all raw..well about 99%, a few of the big ones are graded.

psa = goodwin....$8,438.85
sgc=mile high....$4,875.00

3rd edit: this is not a knock on who bought the goodwin, like i say it could be a nm/mt card in as 7 holder?

maybe the joke is on me, maybe the goodwin "is" that much better? like i say, i didnt see it up close to determine.

[linked image]
[linked image]

Old 04-01-2009, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Here are a few factors that may have contributed and there probably are others as well:
1) Auction houses reputation
2) Centering
3) Big Borders
4) Old SGC Holder - this one may be the most important.

What you're really asking is why didn't the under-bidder from Goodwin bid you up on the one that you won; if he was bothered by any of these these things, that could have done it.

My Trade/Sale Page

Old 04-01-2009, 07:55 PM
Administrator

true matt, i looked at it real good, but only so much you can do ina holder, i can send it in to sgc again. they seem to be good that way, i guess the bigger the "johnson" the better happy.gif i had to say it matt.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason

I prefer the PSA one on appearance but they're both nice.

Then again, if any of you are willing to pay double for the same grade on the same card just because of the auction house. You're dumb.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JDRUM

Or you could look at it this way, you got a bargain!

Old 04-01-2009, 08:05 PM
Administrator

jason i agree, but you would be surprised, i seen recently a 33 goudey lajoie sell for more in a psa 5 than a psa 6 holder, and some feel it may because of the auction house, sounds nuts, and is something i would never do, but who know's what motivate people to do certain things....oh and the psa 6 looked much better to me than the 5!! go figure.

jdrum- yeah maybe, until i tried to sell, then you know what happens.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

"If any of you are willing to pay double for the same grade on the same card just because of the auction house. You're dumb."

Lichtman should have fun with this one.

My Trade/Sale Page

Old 04-01-2009, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JDRUM

"jdrum- yeah maybe, until i tried to sell, then you know what happens."

Yeah, but your downside risk is a lot better. If you like the card no big deal. It's a beauty. I don't see a dimes difference really. Congrats on a great card.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: smtjoy

I think the PSA is better centered but your SGC has better corners. Overall very close and in no way should the price be that far apart, I think you got a great deal.

I would also add to Matt's list-

5. Two PSA registry folks battling it out on the first and the underbidder didnt want the risk of trying to crossover the SGC flip so didnt bid up the second.
6. PSA Consignor could have had a friend bid up the PSA card and that would explain why the underbidder didnt bid on yours (when I see prices on very close cards that far apart, I do wonder hard about possible shilling)

Old 04-01-2009, 10:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

I like the deep color and registration of the PSA graded Johnson. However, it would be hard to say for sure because it could just be a poor scan of the SGC Johnson.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason

"If any of you are willing to pay double for the same grade on the same card just because of the auction house. You're dumb."

Lichtman should have fun with this one.

Uh oh. I didn't open a can of worms about shilling did I?

Old 04-02-2009, 06:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: chiprop

what are the marks over the head of the SGC card? Erasure? Both cards are super nice! There is a lot of fraud in auctions, and many do not sell for what they claim. Take the selling price with a grain of salt. I've seen the same card in a 5 holder that is as equally nice for $2,5k, but maybe my eyes are not as good. I don't understand the concept of needing a 30x loop to see the how perfect or imperfect a card is.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

Marty - What you should do is consign it to REA next April & you'll make lots of money.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Red

I too would be concerned about what's going on with the white streaks in the background. There's still a stain spot showing in the yellow area about 1/2" down from top right.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Michael C

There is no doubt the PSA one looks much much better as far as the color and registration goes. The SGC one looks faded or bleached out a little.

That said, if you are comparing the slabs, then you are right the two cards should sell for the same amount in a perfect world. If you are comparing the cards, the PSA one should sell for more.....though I'm not sure it is worth close to double.