NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-24-2008, 10:33 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Mullaney - EPDG / Piedmont / Brown Old Mill

Posted By: Trae R.

I know most of us have seen this card before, but I just noticed the Brown Old Mill portion of the back tonight when someone emailed me about the card. It sure is cool!

---
"There ain't much to being a ballplayer, if you're a ballplayer."
-Honus Wagner

Old 03-24-2008, 10:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

this is cool...do you own it?

Old 03-24-2008, 11:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Trae R.

I don't, and I'm not sure of who the owner is. I snapped this scan up some time ago.

---
"There ain't much to being a ballplayer, if you're a ballplayer."
-Honus Wagner

Old 03-25-2008, 08:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

Let's see, this very interesting card has Mullaney and the CYoung (portrait) image.

And, a Piedmont 350 back....EPDG back....and an inverted Southern League Old Mill back printed in Brown ink.
Since this card was (by design) a Southern Leaguer printed during the Piedmont 350 run, an EPDG back on it is
not unusual. However, an Old Mill (So. Lge....any color) is very unusual....as, the Old Mill's on Southern League
cards were printed during the 150 Series production.

TED Z

Old 03-25-2008, 08:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scot Reader

Hi Ted,

I believe Old Mill Southern was contemporaneous with the 350 print run. The six Texas leaguers who are unavailable with the very early Brown Hindu back are possible with Old Mill Southern. Also, there are Old Mill newspaper advertisements dating to March 1910 (in the midst of the 350 print run) that show southern leaguers coming out of Old Mill packs. Therefore, I think the Old Mill/EPDG/Pied 350 printing on the back of the Mullaney printer's scrap is entirely consistent.

Scot

Old 03-25-2008, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

That has a taste of the killer rare BROWN Old Mill! Way cool as I own 2 of them and they are insanely tough!!!!

Old 03-27-2008, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T E

Hi guys, this card was my introduction to this board a few years ago.

In about 1973 or 1972, that time frame, I walked into a nostalgia shop (must have been one of the first of its kind) on Ascan Avenue in Forest Hills, Queens called Little Nemo's. The owner had a shoebox with about 180 T206s in it. He sold them to me for the lofty sum of $15. This card was one of them.

Fast forward about 8 years, now I am living alone in Manhattan. My apartment was burglarized. I had my t206s in a case, in three stacks. The crooks took two of the stacks, left the third. This card was in the stack they left.

I often gazed at this card wondering who that ghost image was. I had heard that error cards were worthless, so I didn't pursue it. I am not a t206 collector, and I started selling off my cards on ebay a couple of years ago under my ID of easthamptonauctions (my ID was hoofaway back then)

Then about two years ago Leland's auctioned off a card with a Piedmont double overstrike. It went for maybe $1500, that neighborhood. I thought, well, damn, I got something that sure beats that! I was directed to this board from the ebay Sports Mem. board. I posted an image of it and quite a wonderful thread grew out of it.

Today I just came here to annouce on the ebay sell board that I am selling the few remaining cards, all except this one, the ones I had kept for sentimental reason, Cobb, Lajoie, etc, when I saw this thread. There's my guy!

Note, by the way, the left edge is miscut slightly. I am finally going to send this guy out to have him authenticated by PSA, they have a $60 two day plan, and then I guess I'll offer him for sale. I am going to ask a ridiculous price, so he probably won't sell, which is fine with me, some memories are worth keeping.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:33 AM
Administrator

"...and then I guess I'll offer him for sale."

Hoof-

great story...

let us know when you are selling it...

MANY of us would be interested...

Michael Sarno

Old 03-30-2008, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: johnny

hoof...

would like to know when u are listing this card...thanks for asking also mike....

johnny

Old 03-30-2008, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Once in a while I read somewhere, or hear someone talk about how the white border cards were printed at the cigarette factories. I've always thought that was wrong, that American Lithography printed all of the cards and shipped them to the factory. Someone here explained to me how JB Duke bought American Litho about the time of these cards.

Surely this card would prove that the white border tobacco cards weren't printed at the cigarette factories.

Frank.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:57 AM
Administrator

You are absolutely correct......if this card doesn't prove that T206's were all printed in the same facility,
then nothing will.

James Buchanan Duke (American Tobacco Company) and Joseph Palmer Knapp (who formed the American
Lithographic Co. in NYC) were very close friends and business associates. Therefore, I think we can safely
assume that Am. Litho. not only printed all the T206's......but, most of the BB T-cards, and most of the
Premiums (Flags, Military men, Movie Stars, etc.) that were inserted in tobacco packs from 1900-1916.

The American Lithographic Co. was situated in a 13-story building (built in 1895) at 230 Park Ave South
in NYC. And, this building still stands at this site in NYC with the "American Lithographic Co." name above
its entrance.

TED Z

Old 03-31-2008, 09:31 AM
Administrator

"The American Lithographic Co. was situated in a 13-story building (built in 1895) at 230 Park Ave South in NYC. And, this
building still stands at this site in NYC with the "American Lithographic Co." name above it's entrance."

Joe D, Jeff L, Barry, Wonka and myself, plan to have our next dinner right next stroe to this building...

after dinner, we are going to pull black sky-masks down over our heads, and rush in their (like in the movie HEAT), run into the vaults and grab all of the "extra" T-cards that we can find...

our luck is that when we'd get to the hide-away hotel, we'd zip open our bags and realize that we get a stack of fresh fish & flag cards...see we wouldv'e accidently chosen the vault to the left...the one to the right, is were they house the 275 mint examples of the wagner that was pulled (they had never destoyed them)...there they sat, preserved for 100 years...

well, it's fun to daydream a bit...

but when i get a chance, i promise i'll visit the building and do some "poking-around"

MS

Old 03-31-2008, 08:17 PM
Administrator

think he's in the money.....

when he finds 275 mint Honus'

but very soon, woe is he......

when these Wagner's "flood" us

and prices fall to 23.....

thousand, that is.

But, Mike cheer-up, you still will make $6,375,000. And, a whole bunch of us will have
finally completed our T206 sets.

Hey Mike, can you sell me one for $15K ?

T-Rex TED

Old 03-31-2008, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Hornish

I believe the interior of the American Litho Building has been gutted and redone. Here's an interesting site on the building and some related things.

http://spoonercentral.com/2005/ALCO.html

Old 03-31-2008, 08:39 PM
Administrator

Ted- i would certainly share the wealth...

all kidding aside, and in all honestly, my excitement/joy would simply be to stand in the same building where the cards were printed...would be amazing to see film footage of them printing sheet after sheet, occasionally throwing a few "printer's scraps" in a bucket.

wish i was alive then to see it all happen...and i'm not talking about trying to make money...i'm a collector at heart, and i love these cards.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:46 PM
Administrator

You cannot go back 99 years. It wouldn't be the same, unless, by some time warp, you could have the same perspective
of these cards as you have now.

Producing these cards to those printers back then was most likely a tedious job, just like any job is nowadays.

TED Z

Old 04-18-2008, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T E

and on its way home from PSA. Authentic- Multiple Overstrikes is what they labeled it as, as I recall their email said. They took several days extra with it (I paid for super-express), called me up, told me they would issue credit for the delay, they were confering with several experts to decide how to label it. I said no problem, take your time. Service was excellent, I know there is a debate between SGC and PSA with most favoring SGC for this kind of card, but I was quite happy with the service I received.

When I get the card back I'll post the images.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John

Sounds great, looking forward to the pics. Super cool card, keep us posted if you're still in the mindset of selling.

John