NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-30-2007, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Default Anyone Else Depressed?

Posted By: Jared

So earlier this year I decided to dip back into the hobby, just a little bit, and buy a handful of popular pre-war cards to display and enjoy for their historical value. I capped myself at $2000, knowing that it is easy to overspend. I tracked the eBay market for a bit and it seemed like that money would allow me to get the cards I targeted.

It has been nothing but disappointment.

Cards I figured to be had for $200 are now going for 3x that. I understand that cards are only worth what people are willing to spend on them, so the selling price tells the truth. However, it's really depressing to realize that all it takes are a few people with more money than they know what to do with to ruin your aspirations.

If I'm ever able to achieve my goal, I think I'll be done with this...assuming it doesn't burn me out before then.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andrew

Someone who only has $200.00 to spend is probably saying the same thing about you.

"Take your life in your own hands and what happens? A terrible thing: no one to blame." -- Erica Jong

Old 07-30-2007, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Unless a large amount of time elapsed between when you had identified what you wanted to buy and when you tried to act upon that want:

"it seemed like that money would allow me to get the cards I targeted.
It has been nothing but disappointment.
Cards I figured to be had for $200 are now going for 3x that"

It sounds like you had chosen wisely, because the market in general has not tripled in value recently. Try again grasshopper, you have proven your merit.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

$2000 ? Are you kidding ? I wish I had $200 to spend on baseball cards. I may be able to come up with $20, though. Do you think I'm depressed ? ____ yes !!!!

Old 07-30-2007, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

I think you hit the nail on the head. It is depressing that two or three people who bathe in Krugerands can take away so much enjoyment for the rest of us. I don't think that can happen in the long run for common cards, like '33 Goudeys, or even for E121's despite their current elevated prices. But for cards that are offered for sale once every year or two, two or three well heeled collectors can make a big difference.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark L

Paul,
I expect the price of E121's to fall back some but so far I have not seen many of these cards coming to market----so I wonder whether they will prove to be much rarer than I previously thought.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Silver King

Hey Jared, I share your pain. I found this forum while looking for information about my great great grandfather who played in the 1880's. I discovered that he had several Old Judges and was pretty shocked to find out that even the beat up ones were going for at least $200. I couldn't find any more of his cards so I expanded my collecting thinking I could maybe collect the 1886 and 1887 teammates. Well, many of those are in the thousands. I expanded my search and found some 1880's Browns items and those were in the thousands. A couple items with him on it are the one of a kind items and as much as I would have liked to had them, I couldn't take away things from my family. I have 3 kids under 6 years old and lots of things to pay for the next couple centuries. I am not depressed, but I am disappointed that so many things are so expensive. It's supply and demand.....and some people just get to have more toys. My yearly budget is about $1000 and I have already spent that this year on some cool things, but I am tapped out.