NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-17-2006, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Default Strip cards place in the hobby today (question)

Posted By: Dylan

When having a limited budget to work with and wanting to collect yesteryears star players option can become limited. Many strip cards seem to offer an alternative to higher priced tobacco issues while still atleast being able to afford to own a Ruth, Matty, Speaker, Etc. My question is whats the future look like for these cards? Are they a good value or not worth even looking at? I cant decide and would like to hear what you guys have to think about these cards

Old 10-17-2006, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

Dylan,

My feeling has always been if you personally like the cards then pursue them. I own a number of strip cards. My favorite is the W514 of "Cactus" Cravath. To answer your question would be impossible, but I believe it is safe to say that strip cards will never reach the level of popularity held by other pre-war issues.

Old 10-17-2006, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dd

I believe they are a good value, vintage HOFers at reasonable prices.

Old 10-17-2006, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

To answer the first part of your inquiry: I agree that strip cards and Exhibits offer a player value per dollar which is hard to beat.

And certainly past performance is no indicator of future appreciation, but here is what has happened according to Becketts:
(average common)
Vg - Ex

1979 -

W517 = $8.50
T204 = $29.00
R305 = $6.00
Exhibit 4 in 1 = $9.00
N28 = $20.00
E145 = $10.00
e91 = $4.50
e98 = $9.00
e100 = $18.00
e121 = $5.00
e210 = $5.00

Admittedly the hobby community considers itself a lot better informed now; and current prices reflect a realistic view of the hobby, much as was the thinking in 1979. But I wonder how informed our current knowledge will seem in another thirty (30) years.

Old 10-17-2006, 07:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

I believe it is a matter of taste. Some don't like the look of strip cards because the images are cruder than that of other cards. Plus they are hand cut. If these two things don't bother you (and they don't bother me), then go for it! With hand cut cards, you don't have to worried about getting stuck with a trimmed card and paying too much for it.

As for future value - who knows. If I knew, I surely wouldn't tell anyone!

Old 10-17-2006, 08:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kyle

I like strips. Easier to get a hold of. Can find uncut sheets and high grades for great prices. Plus in my opinion, they're rarer than most of the other cards out there. If you're looking for any HOF'ers let me know. I have group of strips in "beat" shape that I was waiting to have PSA slab as authentic with a $5.00 special, but I'm getting impatient.

Have a great day,
Kyle

Old 10-17-2006, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Prizner

You may also want to consider Exhibits as mentioned. I personally really like the realistic black/white images of the old ball players versus cards that are overly cartoony or are simply crude drawings. Exhibits provide a nice challenge without breaking your bank and the oversized cards make great display items!

Old 10-18-2006, 12:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Also, don't forget about inexpensive Pre-War items like Diamond Matchbooks and Die Lids. Both contain many Hall of Famers.

Old 10-18-2006, 04:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Strip cards place in the hobby today (questio

Strip cards still have some mystery to them, which isn't really a good thing for investment purposes. If you can get a hold of the uncut strips, then it's a no brainer though.

There's a certain "charm" to them that the slicker cards just don't have. It's a taste thing, but they appear more of their period to me. The paper and inking process are pretty distinct (at least the ones I've owned) making them difficult to fake well - which is a plus.

My guess though - I think we're going to see new batches of these turn up in much crisper shape, and recut using modern equipment. If you're buying for investment, I'd be careful with these. What may seem like a primo card will look second best in a few years. The beaters that seem acceptable because of what's on the market today, probably won't stand out as contendors in a few years. Just a hunch, so take that with a grain of salt.

I prefer Wheaties panels, myself. They're still hand cut but have broader appeal. They're also cheaper, and easier to collect.

Old 10-18-2006, 07:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

LEON

Does Net54 actually have such a category....."During War" ?

Anyhow, here is a 4-card uncut strip from the R-302-1 set (1943 MP).

Shown here is just 1/2 of the actual strip, as these cards were printed
in an 8-card strip format. My scanner could not accomodate the entire
strip, so I am displaying the part with Joe DiMaggio on it.