NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-08-2002, 08:13 PM
Administrator

Default Fake ????

Posted By: Brian Daniels 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1578872805

Old 11-08-2002, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Default Fake ????

Posted By: jeff s

Doesn't look good to me at all. On the other hand, you can count on the fingers of an dolphin's hand the number of PSA 6 or better T206s I've owned.

Old 11-08-2002, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Default Fake ????

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Old 11-08-2002, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Default Fake ????

Posted By: Elliot

but the scan is very poor.

Old 11-08-2002, 09:02 PM
Administrator

Default Fake ????

Posted By: B Hodes

It is a very wierd front scan (back is OK). I think the strange front image may be due to "technical difficulties." I know the seller and he's AOK.

Old 11-09-2002, 04:14 AM
Administrator

Default Fake ????

Posted By: dan mckee

HAS TO BE REAL BRIAN, IT HAS BEEN GRADED BY PSA.

Old 11-09-2002, 06:56 AM
Administrator

Default Fake ????

Posted By: Jim

I vote reprint. The texture of the back - too similar to reprints I have seen (and unknowingly bought, you live you learn). It has a grainy look, and the way the ink has set on the surface - I have only seen this on reprints.

Old 11-09-2002, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Default Fake ????

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi All
The card is legit. The scanner is obviously out of whack. I have seen similiar scans on T206's especially on Uzit backs, the blur effect drives me crazy. This person needs a new scanner, or a different background which will aloow the scanner to sharpen it's picture of the card. later brian

Old 11-09-2002, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Default Fake ????

Posted By: Dan Mathewson

...I see Brian Daniels' concern. One thing jumps out at me like neon:

The lettering at the bottom. Every fake I have ever bought (thankfully, each time I was refunded) had perfectly linear, clear black typeset lettering. I have rarely seen authentic T206's where the typesetting across the bottom didn't have a slight wiggle to it, a slight discoloration, with black or dark/unfaded letters

Granted...all of mine are Mattys (maybe that's a characteristic of Mattys). Nonetheless, the lettering looks too dark and nicely set, like reprint lettering always does on the reprints. My guess is someone got this thing by PSA somehow. Something just doesn't look right...

Brian W could be right on, as perhaps the scan is making things look out-of-whack. But, something's just not right with it...

Old 11-09-2002, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Default Fake ????

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I'm with Dan on this one. The type set jumpout for me, looks like the reprint type set.

Old 11-09-2002, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Default Fake ????

Posted By: MW

Old 11-09-2002, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Default Fake ????

Posted By: runscott

I would like to see a clearer scan of the print at the front bottom - I agree with the others that it's probably a scanner problem. Print at the bottom looks fake, but (seriously) must be real - PSA couldn't have missed it.

Old 11-09-2002, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Default Fake ????

Posted By: TBob

if the card were not in a PSA holder everyone would be claiming it looks fake. The bottom line, then, is that PSA gives it a claim of authenticity. If you have that much faith in PSA, bid away, if not, I'd be leary...

Old 11-09-2002, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Default Fake ????

...everyone has seen EVERY card grading company make mistakes. Some (AAA, PRO, etc...) make them deliberately and carry absolutely no trust. They are in the business to misrepresent and commit fraud. Bottom line.

But there are many others who are legitimate, and they occasionally make mistakes unintentionally. It's funny...when PSA and SGC make an error (and we've seen them err, believe me), it's so cool to support them and say "wow...how rare for them to screw up....but, it's really no big deal...heck! They're PSA!"

Yet, when virtually any other grader errs, it's "off with their heads, those idiots. Shame shame shame!"

PSA could have screwed up. It wouldn't be the first time, or the last time. It happens.

People put too much faith in names or establishments. I swear that you can walk up to half of the Catholics in the US and they'll deny that anyone was ever molested by a Priest because the thought of it is unconscionable. Well...not the case. Anyway, I digress. LOL...

Anwyay, just because it's PSA, doesn't mean it's unmolested...I mean, not a reprint.

I suppose it could be...but it sure begs the question...I still think the printing looks like 100% reprint-class typesetting. What is on this card does not look like authentic T206 typesetting; and I fell into that trap a while back with one of the El Principe backed Matty Dark Caps that were floating around. Once I had the card in my hand, and once I saw the printing, the rock formed in my belly and I knew it was toilet paper. The PSA holder is never a 100% brand of authenticity...

Old 11-09-2002, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Default Fake ????

I really don't think it is possible that PSA would have slabbed a t206 reprint. Altered or trimmed card maybe, but not a reprint.

Also, why be leery? If it turns out to be available for a great deal and you want it - buy it. If it turns out to be fake (which it won't in all likelihood), send it to PSA for a refund - they will take care of it. I am no fan of PSA, but they ARE a huge step ahead of PRO,etc.

Old 11-09-2002, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Default Fake ????

...definitely ahead of PRO, Scott. No doubt there. Can you believe that alphonsocards bought that PRO 9.5 Matty a little while back for over $1K ???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1573992292&rd=1

If that card really was unaltered, and really was a 9.5, it would have gone for $30K or more. And, like so many other "awesome" cards we've seen in PRO Holders, if it really was that awesome, it wouldn't be in a PRO Holder to begin with...

What a shame that these transactions are still going on...

Old 11-09-2002, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Default Fake ????

Posted By: Bill Cornell

I'll bet it's real, if only because it's Jon Perry that's selling it and I doubt he'd make that mistake. Easy enough to ask him directly if someone was interested in knowing.

The point about the fallibility of grading companies has been made here before ad nauseum . It's the kind of mistake that matters. For example, mislabelling a E97 B&W Keeler as an E107 is a much worse error than, say, missing a ding on one corner. And grading a T206 Matty reprint as real is much worse than overgrading a legitimate one. These companies are providing a service for pay and fully deserve criticism for any shoddy work they do.

Old 11-09-2002, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Default Fake ????

...you made reference to a E97 B&W Keeler that was misgraded/mislabeled. What's the story there? I think I missed that one.

-dan

Old 11-09-2002, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Default Fake ????

Posted By: Bill Cornell

Dan-

There was a thread on this here about 3-4 weeks ago... A seller had a mislabelled PSA1 E97 Keeler (he didn't realize PSA's mistake until someone told him) and it got up to around $900 before he pulled it and said he was going to have it reholdered.

Old 11-09-2002, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Default Fake ????

You can only reach so many people, and to someone who hasn't eyeballed lots and lots of t206's, some of those trimmed ones in PRO holders look pretty good.

I have noticed a board member or two who have especially big cajonas buying PRO occasionally, then putting the cards in real slabs. I'm not that gutsy or experienced!

Old 11-09-2002, 07:39 PM
Administrator

Default Fake ????

Posted By: Robert

I think if you need the card go for it. And if it is not real submit it to PSA for a refund. But if you do not need the card stay away. The card is not a very important card and I am sure another copy will come up soon. Rob