NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-27-2019, 11:03 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Default What if Topps Never Made ...

... a Mickey Mantle card in their 1952 series, how would the hobby look like today? Remember, this is the card that is responsible for transforming the entire hobby. When it first sold for $1,000, $2,500 and later $5,000, these were unheard of prices back then. Since then, a lot of cards have been following its path, however, the 52' Topps Mantle still leads the way.

Without the 1952 Topps Mantle, do you think his 1953 Topps card would have gotten all the love instead? What about his 1951 Bowman rookie? And then there is his 1952 Bowman card that rarely gets mentioned these days. And finally, if Mantle didn't have a card in the famous 1952 Topps series, then do you think he would still be the most collected athlete like he is today?
Old 10-27-2019, 01:45 PM
Peter Spaeth

I think the 51B would have been a bigger deal. I think Mantle would have been just as collected.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-27-2019 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-27-2019, 03:04 PM
+0m J()rd@N

The '52 Mick was the result of a perfect storm:
  • Topps first real issue
  • Oversized cards with beautiful artwork
  • New York's heir apparent to Joe D in centerfield
  • Finally, it was included in the high series, severely decreasing the supply

Where would we be if it was in the low-number series? But back to the OP, I think the '53 would get the love and maybe share a bit of that with the '51 and '52 Bowmans, though not much.

And overall, I think it would have dampened the enthusiasm for high dollar PW cards, where the big boys play.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 10-27-2019, 07:56 PM
Steve Birmingham

I think the hobby would still be about the way it is now. Maybe with a bit of a twist, maybe not.

There would probably be a different card taking the place of the 52 Mantle, and yes the 51B would be a bigger deal.

The things that make a "great" collectible.. Rare but not too rare. Just enough to be hard to find but not impossible for someone with enough money.
A very popular subject. Mantle fits the bill nicely.
A good story... The harbor dumping, Honus not wanting to promote smoking, the story makes the card just that much better, and if it's the reason the card is tough, so much the better.

A couple candidates for " That card if the mantle wasn't made.

The 52T Robinson. same series, iconic player, also played in NY, (Hate to admit it, but that matters a LOT)
54 Bowman Williams. Great player, tough card, and a bit of a decent story, although contractual disputes don't quite get us there...
59 Fleer Ted signs.. Pretty much the same.

Or, the "winner" might be

From one of the less known regional sets.
Or some variation.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:50 PM

PSA has graded ~1650 52T Mantle and ~2150 51B Mantle. The Bowman is scarce enough that it would be the big card and there would never have been any confusion about which is a rookie card. As far as the rest, I agree with others that there wouldn't be much different.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:45 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I think the hobby would still be about the way it is now. Maybe with a bit of a twist, maybe not.

There would probably be a different card taking the place of the 52 Mantle, and yes the 51B would be a bigger deal.

The things that make a "great" collectible.. Rare but not too rare. Just enough to be hard to find but not impossible for someone with enough money.
A very popular subject. Mantle fits the bill nicely.
A good story... The harbor dumping, Honus not wanting to promote smoking, the story makes the card just that much better, and if it's the reason the card is tough, so much the better.

A couple candidates for " That card if the mantle wasn't made.

The 52T Robinson. same series, iconic player, also played in NY, (Hate to admit it, but that matters a LOT)
54 Bowman Williams. Great player, tough card, and a bit of a decent story, although contractual disputes don't quite get us there...
59 Fleer Ted signs.. Pretty much the same.

Or, the "winner" might be

From one of the less known regional sets.
Or some variation.
I would submit the '52 Mays.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 10-28-2019, 03:22 PM
Peter Spaeth

The winner would be another Mantle. Nobody post war is going to take the place of Mantle.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-28-2019, 03:45 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
The winner would be another Mantle. Nobody post war is going to take the place of Mantle.
Short term Mike Trout and half the prospects that have never played a single game beg to differ.