NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-02-2010, 06:54 PM
Barry Sloate

Default Armando Galarraga has Perfect Game Stolen by Bad Call

Well there should have been another perfect game tonight. This is a travesty!

Armando Galarraga retired the first 26 Cleveland Indians. The 27th batter hit a ground ball that the first baseman fielded, and threw to Galarraga covering first. The batter was out by at least a step- and the umpire called him safe. This is one of the worst calls I have ever seen.

Folks, we should have had yet another perfect game tonight!
Old 06-02-2010, 06:54 PM
Daryle Barbee

Default OT:Baseball History BLOWN by a clearly missed call at first

How can an ump be so blind.......Tigers' Galarraga misses perfect game by one out.....or should I say by a blind ump........he would have had to eject me after that call.....along with about half the team

Last edited by wolfdogg; 06-02-2010 at 06:54 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:55 PM
Barry Sloate

We posted this simultaneously. Outrageous call!!
Old 06-02-2010, 06:55 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

The Austin Jackson catch, an over the shoulder running catch of the first out of the 9th, was about as great of a catch as I've ever seen, a real miracle catch. And then to see the dumbass ump blow such an easy call after that was a bit sickening.

Last edited by calvindog; 06-02-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:56 PM
Brock

Almost 3 in one month.

Last edited by yanks12025; 06-02-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:57 PM
Tony N.

Default I just saw it

I just saw it, what a bad call. That sucks.

Tony
Old 06-02-2010, 06:57 PM
qu@n nguy3n

worst.call.EVER~! selig should do one thing right during his tenure and give him the perfect game.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:58 PM
Rick P

Don Denkinger has company.

Since it would have been the third out, can the commissioner overrule the call and make it right?

And yes, that outfield catch in the ninth was amazing...
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
worst.call.EVER~! selig should do one thing right during his tenure and give him the perfect game.
A dangerous precedent for sure, but in this case I agree. Ranks right up there with the famous "Don Dick-inger" call in the '85 World Series.
Barry Sloate

Quan- I agree. That's exactly what I was thinking. That was a perfect game. Period!
Old 06-02-2010, 07:01 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Actually it was better than a perfect game -- it was 28 up and 28 down!!!!
Old 06-02-2010, 07:03 PM
Joe M.

As A Baseball fan and a Detroit Fan this play sucks! Especially after that great catch in Centerfield. If anyone did not see the play watch ESPN, this will be run for a couple of days. For an umpire to make that call on the last play of a game is a serious problem for the umpires.

Joe
Old 06-02-2010, 07:04 PM
Barry Sloate

Is there much of a precedent for overturning an ump's outrageously bad call? The George Brett pine tar game comes to mind, but I can't think of another. This call will be talked about for a long time.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:06 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
It's the best for baseball that it was blown, we don't need 3 perfect games in one month.

Also what if it was the other way around, umpire called him out but he was safe in the end.
I would respectfully disagree. You can't deny an amazing acomplishment for that reason. And the fact that there have been 3 in about a month is incredible; not anything that's bad for baseball. I would have to assume that nothing like this will ever happen again. 18 in all the years of MLB history only a month ago. What a crazy season this has been. I see nothing wrong with having a storybook baseball season!

Anyone for advocating expanding instant replay now.....
Old 06-02-2010, 07:09 PM
Brock

Forget what i said

Old 06-02-2010, 07:09 PM
Jeff

Quote:
It's the best for baseball that it was blown, we don't need 3 perfect games in one month.

Also what if it was the other way around, umpire called him out but he was safe in the end.

Would you feel the same way if it happened to Andy Pettitte?

Last edited by HRBAKER; 06-02-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:11 PM
Al

Default Bad Call

Quote:

Brock I have to totally disagree!
The man should be given the credit he is due! He did something that would have been history. I dont care if there were 10 perfect games in one month, he did it and was robbed on a totally bad call. Miguel Cabrera and Jim Leyland were right in giving him the business. If it was me I would have gotten myself thrown out of the game to protect my player! And what a class act Gallaraga was when he called him safe,just smiled and walked away! I dont know if I could have kept my composure like that.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:12 PM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Actually it was better than a perfect game -- it was 28 up and 28 down!!!!
YAWN (says harvey haddix)

Last edited by chaddurbin; 06-03-2010 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:12 PM
Matt Wieder

Not sure which was worse the blown call he made there or the blown call he made in the 8th on what should have been the Tigers 3rd out, allowing them to score 2 extra runs. Obviously his 9th inning call had a greater impact, but his 8th inning call looked pretty bad.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:13 PM
Brock

Nothing

Old 06-02-2010, 07:15 PM
Todd Schultz

Default Sad

Inexcusable. I feel bad for Galarraga, what a hosejob.

What I did like is that he pitched from the windup afterward, with the runner eventually taking second and then third. It was almost as if he was saying "I refuse to believe that there is really a runner there, because that guy was out".
Old 06-02-2010, 07:16 PM
Rick P

The more I think about it, if the Tigers protest the game the commissioner will have to make a ruling and is sure to overturn the decision. Clearly, the pitcher has been robbed of the celebration but he'll gain immortality.

I'm still in disbelief. I was at Game Six of the 1985 Series and saw the Denkinger call; at least in that one the error didn't end the game. This one is cut and dry.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:19 PM
Todd Schultz

Default well

Oldtix, it is my understanding that an official protest must be registered before the next pitch, or at least not after the game has ended. Also, it is my understanding that you cannot protest a judgment call, only a rules interpretation or other limited call.

I don't think that this one will be rectified.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:20 PM
Michael S

A perfect (pun intended) way to keep showing that the umps are the center of the universe and it is all about them . Been a lot of that lately.

But seriously, what a horrific call and brings back memories of Denkinger, Jorge Orta, Todd Worrell, JC and the white rat!
Old 06-02-2010, 07:22 PM

A judgment call by an umpire cannot be protested. That said, the Commissioner has broad powers, but I don't see him stepping in and declaring this a perfect game.
The assertion earlier in this thread that this would be bad for baseball is the strangest and most misguided thing I've heard in a long time.

Greg
Old 06-02-2010, 07:33 PM
Al

Default Bad Call

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhey24 View Post
A judgment call by an umpire cannot be protested. That said, the Commissioner has broad powers, but I don't see him stepping in and declaring this a perfect game.
The assertion earlier in this thread that this would be bad for baseball is the strangest and most misguided thing I've heard in a long time.

Greg
Greg,
I totally agree I dont know where Brock was when he was think of that but he should think really hard about what he said. Bad for baseball? How ? In what way is it bad? Yep I guess it would rank right up there with the steroid boys breaking The Maris home run record. Bad? Give the man the credit he is due for something that is very difficult to acomplish .
Old 06-02-2010, 07:38 PM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsballsbases View Post
Greg,
I totally agree I dont know where Brock was when he was think of that but he should think really hard about what he said. Bad for baseball? How ? In what way is it bad? Yep I guess it would rank right up there with the steroid boys breaking The Maris home run record. Bad? Give the man the credit he is due for something that is very difficult to acomplish .
So you think it was best for baseball that cheaters took records away from players who earned there records. Maris earned his record, while Bonds, Mark and Sammy cheated to beat the record. Just like Bonds cheated Hank Aaron out of his homerun title.

Last edited by yanks12025; 06-02-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:46 PM
Al

Quote:
So you think it was best for baseball that cheaters took records away from players who earned there records. Maris earned his record, while Bonds, Mark and Sammy cheated to beat the record. Just like Bonds cheated Hank Aaron of the homerun title.
No Brock I said it Sarcastically. (note rollie eyes) The Maris record should stand. Until someone who isnt on the juice is proven to have beat it in the right way. Aarons record should also stand. What Im trying to still figure out from your statement is how 3 perfect game is bad for baseball. Only a moron would have said something like that!
Old 06-02-2010, 07:50 PM

Just looked at it in slo-mo -- utterly routine play, not even close, runner out by almost a full stride. What's "bad for baseball" is umpiring that embarrassingly inept. A beer-league softball ump wouldn't have blown that one.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 06-02-2010, 07:51 PM
Brock

I'm taken back everything i said because im not going to get in a agruement about stupid stuff. It's just a game.

Last edited by yanks12025; 06-02-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:52 PM

The umpire admitted already that he blew the call. A couple of excerpts from the story on espn.com. It was classy of the kid not to throw a fit.

"I just cost that kid a perfect game," Joyce said. "I thought he beat the throw. I was convinced he beat the throw, until I saw the replay."
"It was the biggest call of my career," said Joyce, who became a full-time major league umpire in 1989.

Joyce faced a group of hostile Tigers -- led by Leyland -- between the pitching mound and home plate after the final out and was booed lustily by the crowd of 17,738 as he walked off the field.
"I don't blame them a bit or anything that was said," Joyce said. "I would've said it myself if I had been Galarraga. I would've been the first person in my face, and he never said a word to me."
Old 06-02-2010, 07:55 PM
Kevin Andrews

As an Indians fan I was pulling for someone to break up the perfect game. As a baseball fan it's just a shame it had to end the way that it did, especially after the great catch to start the inning. The call that the umpire made at first base was the second blown call in two innings. He also called Damon safe in the bottom of the 8th when he was out and it led to two additional runs for the Tigers.

The home run records still stand with Aaron and Maris as far as I'm concerned.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:55 PM
Frank Wakefield

First, I've not seen the replays, and want to see them.

Next, I believe you guys, and have no doubt that this was a crap call.

But I cannot agree with the idea of a protest or of the Commissioner tampering with this. I don't think the call is subject to protest. My recollection of the rules is such that this isn't something subject to a protest. This Commissioner has screwed enough stuff up, both by action and inaction, we really don't want every play and every call subject to fiat decisions of Commissioners.

Come on, guys. Is it a ball or a strike, it ain't nuthin' 'til I call it. There's no crying in baseball.

This was a BS call, it's a damn shame... and that's the end of it. And I agree, it is reminiscent of the 1985 World Series. I was laying in the floor, watching my Cardinals. I just starred at the TV in disbelief. I'm sorry for Mr. Galarraga.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:57 PM
Scott

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=8616789
Old 06-02-2010, 07:58 PM
Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsguy1969 View Post
The umpire admitted already that he blew the call. A couple of excerpts from the story on espn.com. It was classy of the kid not to throw a fit.

"I just cost that kid a perfect game," Joyce said. "I thought he beat the throw. I was convinced he beat the throw, until I saw the replay."
"It was the biggest call of my career," said Joyce, who became a full-time major league umpire in 1989.

Joyce faced a group of hostile Tigers -- led by Leyland -- between the pitching mound and home plate after the final out and was booed lustily by the crowd of 17,738 as he walked off the field.
"I don't blame them a bit or anything that was said," Joyce said. "I would've said it myself if I had been Galarraga. I would've been the first person in my face, and he never said a word to me."
This kid is what's good for baseball!
Class act!

Old 06-02-2010, 08:00 PM

(212) 931-7800

You can call and leave a message for the commissioner. Maybe with Joyce admitting he blew the call, they will correct this....
Old 06-02-2010, 08:01 PM
Andy Garden

I watched it go down live, and it was sickening. Jackson's catch for the first out in the 9th was absolutely ridiculous. The local broadcast team on Fox Sports went nuts. I thought Rick Sutcliffe made a great point tonight on the Cards-Reds game. "The fans attending that game tonight were cheated out of history." So was Armando Galarraga.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:03 PM
Brock

One more thing. If Bud Selig grew a pair of balls to change this play then he should give the records back to other players.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:09 PM
Seth

I agree with everyone here: I was watching it on ESPN and was dumbfounded, and now Joyce himself admits he blew it. Selig: do the right thing! (For once...just remembering how a certain All Star game ended a few years ago...Bud has some making-up to do here)
Old 06-02-2010, 08:09 PM
Dan Bretta

It was a bad call, but it should not be overturned by the commissioner. People will remember this game...Armando Gallaraga will be remembered even if he never wins another game. There is human element in baseball and it should remain so. I don't even like that they've added instant replay for homers. I feel sick for that kid who may never pitch another game as good as that one, and I also feel sick for Joyce who will never live this down.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:15 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

It is a pity that Galaraga was denied his perfect game, but with that being said I would not like Selig to go back and reverse the umpire's decision. Like bad hops, blown calls are part of the game. If the call went the other way, and the last batter was called out when he was really safe, would people be clamoring for Selig to take back the perfect game? After watching replays of the 1956 World Series, I don't think Larsen's called third strike on Dale Mitchell was a strike. Should the commissioner have interceded and replayed the last inning from that point onward? I feel sorry for Galaraga, who is a class act, but I'll take the game like it is, warts and all.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:20 PM
Frank Wakefield

I've now seen the replay... one really bad call.

A call that MLB leaves alone. Dan and Jay are right.

I think this isn't subject to protest; and what happens inside the foul lines shouldn't be tampered with by the likes of Mr. Selig, not anyone else who might one day be Commissioner.

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 06-02-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:38 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Having just watched the replay, I wonder if the first baseman had not cut the ground ball off and let it go through to the second baseman, it might have been an easier play to make. Thoughts?
Old 06-02-2010, 08:49 PM
Al

Default Bad Call

Jeff,
I thought that myself . Looked like it would have been a much easier play if Cabrera had let the second baseman field it. But as we know from watching TEX field some very hard shots at first base I know its just instinct to go after it and try and make the play.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:03 PM
ErikV

Default Perfect Game?

Today's Indians/Tigers game reminds of another "almost"
perfect game: Sept. 3,1972 Chicago Cubs vs San Diego Padres.

Cubs pitcher Milt Pappas threw a 3-2 pitch to Larry
Stahl that was called ball 4. Pappas insisted the umpire blew
the call. Home plate umpire Bruce Froemming insisted he made
the right call.

For the sancitiy of baseball, the comissioner left the call as is.
Hopefully Comissioner Selig also leaves today's call as is.

As for all these perfect games, personally I now see them as
what a no-hitter once was. This feat has been cheapened.
MLB should be renamed MLS (Major League Softball.)

ErikV
Old 06-02-2010, 09:08 PM
Mike

This was the first 28 out perfect game in history. The official scorer should call an error on the play so at least it would be a no-hitter. He needs to talk with the umpire and if the pitcher (Galagarra) bobbled the ball then an error could be scored on the play. This is insane. The first Detroit Tiger perfect game in history comes down to a blown call on the last play. And yes it was Guillen's (2b) ball and not the Cabrera's to field, but can't blame him for going after it.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:14 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
This was the first 28 out perfect game in history. The official scorer should call an error on the play so at least it would be a no-hitter. He needs to talk with the umpire and if the pitcher (Galagarra) bobbled the ball then an error could be scored on the play. This is insane. The first Detroit Tiger perfect game in history comes down to a blown call on the last play. And yes it was Guillen's (2b) ball and not the Cabrera's to field, but can't blame him for going after it.
There was no error on the play...Galarraga did not bobble the ball...he snoconed it and after the call he opened his glove to let the ball fall into the palm. This game will never be forgotten...people will always remember this as the perfect game that was blown by the ump. It won't go in the record books, but it will be written about for ages.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:28 PM
Richard Cline

Just saw the video, WOW!, absolutely a shame the kid doesn't kid the perfect game or the no hitter. He handled the post-game interview in a way that very few players could in my opinion.

RC
Old 06-02-2010, 09:30 PM
Steven Finley

It is not the fact that umpire blew the call that angers me. It's the fact that he even made the safe call in the first place. I wonder at what point he calls the kid and apologizes.

Don't pull on Superman's cape.
Don't eat yellow snow.
Don't even consider calling a batter safe on a bang-bang play with 2 outs in the ninth of a perfect game. Just all around stupid.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:35 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post
It is not the fact that umpire blew the call that angers me. It's the fact that he even made the safe call in the first place. I wonder at what point he calls the kid and apologizes.

Don't pull on Superman's cape.
Don't eat yellow snow.
Don't even consider calling a batter safe on a bang-bang play with 2 outs in the ninth of a perfect game. Just all around stupid.
He already has apologized face to face with Galarraga. Galarraga gave him a hug.