NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-25-2023, 04:51 PM

In the late 1990's I was set up at a very small hotel show on a Sunday. About 3:00 a teenager walked in with a handful of high powered cards for the time, most of which I don't recall. He walked the room and I was the only one with $$ or interested. We spent 30 minutes trying to hammer out a deal, and then he asked "what time is it?" I said 3:30, he said "I have to be home by 4:00!" he took my $2,000 and hit the door. I spent the next hour before the show closed just knowing that his dad was coming thru the door anytime to get his cards back, assuming he had lifted them. But, alas no dad.

Fast forward I only have one of the cards left, which others thought was fake, but I did not. For $200 I did ok.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E90-2 Wagner.jpg (183.5 KB, 117 views)
Old 05-25-2023, 05:05 PM
Bruce Mattioli

I would have to say that 99.99 percent of any seasoned collector would know at the time of the purchase or find that a "steal of a deal" was made .. I know I try..
Old 05-25-2023, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattioli View Post
I would have to say that 99.99 percent of any seasoned collector would know at the time of the purchase or find that a "steal of a deal" was made .. I know I try..
See my post (#40)...it can happen. Neither seller, buyer (a well-seasoned veteran of the prewar collecting world), or any other of the underbidders had any idea about the special, one of a kind card in the lot I purchased.

Brian
Old 05-25-2023, 08:53 PM
Chris

I bought both of these on eBay around 2017/2018. The Jackie was a PSA 2 and the Mays a PSA 1. My offers of $480 for Mays and $750 for Jackie were both accepted. I paid for them with funds I got from rolling my change and selling DVDs to a used record store.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2321.jpg (154.0 KB, 87 views)
Completed deals with: mybuddyinc, The Nasty Nati, Cory, Moose Dog, iwantitiwinit, OhioCardCollector, Thromdog, t206kid, dacubfan, obcmac, Harliduck, gorditadogg, oldjudge, npa589, Luke, bigfish, wazoo, TedZ, mrreality68, Lobo Aullando, 53toppscollector, volplaya8, Kris19, Baseball*Collectables, cammb
Old 05-25-2023, 08:58 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy8276 View Post
I was scrolling through ebay just over 5 years ago and ran into an "Old Yankees Schedule Lot, including Willie Mays Card". I thought it was weird to include a Willie Mays card with a Yankees lot, and noticed that the card included was a 1951 Bowman Willie Mays RC. The seller had it identified in the listing as a reprint included for free with the scheduling cards.

I was having trouble believing it was a reprint no matter how many times the seller told me it was because I had never seen a "reprint of a 51 bowman" with a print dot on it and this Mays RC clearly had one right on his name. Before I lost it to someone else who was curious, I went ahead and purchased the lot. I wasn't interested at all in the schedules so I was honest with the seller that I thought the Mays card may be real, so they were welcome to keep the rest of the lot.
They were adamant it was a reprint and they surprisingly sent me a refund minus shipping when they resold the schedules the next day...

When the card arrived a few days later, it was exactly what I thought and I still cannot believe to this day I got a Willie Mays RC for only the cost of the shipping!

It's pretty hard to beat that bargain. I'd send the seller $100 or something lol