NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 06-16-2023, 05:46 AM
Tony Baldwin

Default Looking To Buy an Early Mickey Mantle Card

Hey guys! I'm looking to buy an early Mickey Mantle card. 1952 Topps is the best one, but out of my reach (I'm too picky on condition and would want a nice one). I like the 1952 Bowman (which I think are undervalued) and 1953 Topps (My favorite looking card).

What about the 1952 Berk Ross Mickey Mantle card. Is that a good one to own?

Thanks!
Old 06-16-2023, 11:21 AM

Hi, Tony. My advice would be go for your favorite-looking card, the 1953 Topps Mickey. Since you've said you are picky on condition and want a nice one, stay away from the Berk Ross, by all means. The cardstock is very cheap and tones terribly. You won't find one centered to save your life. It just looks like a rinky-dink card. Granted, the picture they used is the same as the one Bowman patterned their 1951 painting, but man, if you get the Berk Ross, you'll see what I mean and be ultimately disappointed.

With a 1953 Topps Mantle, there are figuratively speaking, a million to choose from. I would say go gunning for a PSA 5 or 6.

Demand from yourself an example that has strong colors and VERY CRISP FOCUS /PRINTING REGISTRATION. Also, one that's at least 60-40 centered all the way around. Watch for the bottom left solid red corner, and do your best to look for one as free of wear as possible. Also, print spots---especially on Mickey's face and hat. You see, when you hold that prize, you'll always look and admire Mick's face and hat first and last, so choose one where you'll always be happy with it when you take the pleasure of admiring it, or showing it to a collector friend.

Now, even a PSA 5 EXCELLENT will set you back a decent amount of money, and of course I don't know your situation, but if you're picky, as I am, you had best go for one that looks as beautiful and fresh as can be, with just enough corner wear for PSA to down-grade it to a 5 or 6.

Start the fun of the hunt when you're financially prepared, AND BE PATIENT, AND BE PATIENT, AND BE PATIENT. Then, when you find the one that your guts says, "I gotta have this", buy it.

I will end with this. Even if you go for a PSA 5 or 6, if the card is as nice as I've advised you to go for, chances are the seller will know that too, as well as the other several hundred Mickey Mantle maniacs who want it as well. A great-looking PSA 5 or 6 will carry a premium to the usual price, and it WILL be worth it, buddy. I never got "a good deal" on a card that I felt I HAD to have, and mesmerized me. I always had to pay accordingly, but at the end of the day, month, year, and 30+ years later, I still smile at the card I paid well for. Get it?

Take care, and I wish you well. --- Brian Powell
Old 06-16-2023, 01:29 PM
Tony Baldwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
Hi, Tony. My advice would be go for your favorite-looking card, the 1953 Topps Mickey. Since you've said you are picky on condition and want a nice one, stay away from the Berk Ross, by all means. The cardstock is very cheap and tones terribly. You won't find one centered to save your life. It just looks like a rinky-dink card. Granted, the picture they used is the same as the one Bowman patterned their 1951 painting, but man, if you get the Berk Ross, you'll see what I mean and be ultimately disappointed.

With a 1953 Topps Mantle, there are figuratively speaking, a million to choose from. I would say go gunning for a PSA 5 or 6.

Demand from yourself an example that has strong colors and VERY CRISP FOCUS /PRINTING REGISTRATION. Also, one that's at least 60-40 centered all the way around. Watch for the bottom left solid red corner, and do your best to look for one as free of wear as possible. Also, print spots---especially on Mickey's face and hat. You see, when you hold that prize, you'll always look and admire Mick's face and hat first and last, so choose one where you'll always be happy with it when you take the pleasure of admiring it, or showing it to a collector friend.

Now, even a PSA 5 EXCELLENT will set you back a decent amount of money, and of course I don't know your situation, but if you're picky, as I am, you had best go for one that looks as beautiful and fresh as can be, with just enough corner wear for PSA to down-grade it to a 5 or 6.

Start the fun of the hunt when you're financially prepared, AND BE PATIENT, AND BE PATIENT, AND BE PATIENT. Then, when you find the one that your guts says, "I gotta have this", buy it.

I will end with this. Even if you go for a PSA 5 or 6, if the card is as nice as I've advised you to go for, chances are the seller will know that too, as well as the other several hundred Mickey Mantle maniacs who want it as well. A great-looking PSA 5 or 6 will carry a premium to the usual price, and it WILL be worth it, buddy. I never got "a good deal" on a card that I felt I HAD to have, and mesmerized me. I always had to pay accordingly, but at the end of the day, month, year, and 30+ years later, I still smile at the card I paid well for. Get it?

Take care, and I wish you well. --- Brian Powell
Brian,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide so much info, detail, and recommendations. I truly appreciate it!

I agree with your comments on the Berk Ross Mickey Mantle. I don't care for the faded look of the card, but heck, it is Mantle. Just really don't know much about the card or rarity of it.

Your thoughts on a 1953 Mickey Mantle are spot on. I will be able to afford a PSA 6, but really want a PSA 7 (might be a reach). This card has always been my favorite card.

Your comment "Be Patient, and Be Patient, and Be Patient" is definitely key in me finding that right 53 Mantle. I have been known to be impatient, then a month later, find something much better. I think I'll know when it's right this time; especially for the amount of money involved.

This is what I'm hoping for, but with slightly better centering. Yes, I know, Dream On.

Again, truly appreciate you posting, and it will help in my search.

Thank you! Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-06-16 153640.jpg (93.9 KB, 91 views)

Last edited by SyrNy1960; 06-16-2023 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-16-2023, 01:39 PM
James M.

Tony,

Welcome to the world of collecting Mantle. The good news is, many copies of his issues are constantly being put up for sale or for auction. I think you could pretty much go to any card show, whether it be a tiny local show, or The National and you'd be able to find many Mantles from all different years. The Mick's popularity has only grown with each passing year, and he is worshiped like a God by collectors, some of which, myself included, weren't even alive to see him play. I was regaled with stories of The Commerce Comet when I was a boy.

His 1953 Topps issue in a PSA 6, seems to be selling anywhere between 10K-11.5K. I feel like if that is the card you truly want, then that's what you should spend your money on. I would caution becoming obsessed with the number grade though, as many of us have seen, there are plenty of lower grade cards that look much better than the actual card grade. I have always been more of an "Eye Appeal" person, following the motto of "Buy the card, not the grade" but approach this anyway that you like. You could easily be able to afford both the 1953 Topps and the 1952 Bowman, should you explore the lower grade avenue.

Now since every thread needs a card below are two of the cards you mentioned. The Berk Ross and 1952 Bowman. I love my Berk Ross, and bought it before the recent run up of the issue.Have a great day!

- James

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 06-16-2023, 02:20 PM

James--- I apologize if my comments on the 1952 Berk Ross gave offense. I must say yours looks much, much better than usual. The centering is great for a Berk Ross. Moreover, the coloring and print registration on yours is AS GOOD AS IT GETS, and I sincerely congratulate you. Now to keep it from toning any further. Well done, my fellow collecting warrior. I wish you the very, very best.

Tony, as James said, buy the card and not the grade. Just 'cause the label says "EX-MT 6" does not mean it is the one to get. That's what I was describing in my first post to you. The characteristics should be outstanding for the grade, and compel you to ante up the money accordingly. In essense, go for the jugular; that is, a card that will say to you, "HOW DID THIS BABY ONLY GET A 6?", BUT ALSO HAVE ALL THOSE GREAT QUALITIES THAT YOU WANT, AND WILL MAKE YOU SMILE AND SIGH EVERY TIME YOU HOLD IT IN YOUR HAND.

That kind of EX-MT 6 WILL cost more, but WILL satisfy you a whole lot more.

Again, wishing you the very best, mate. -- Brian Powell
Old 06-16-2023, 02:35 PM
Tony Baldwin

James and Brian, thanks! I agree with not getting caught up in the grade. I just sold a SGC 3.5 1954 Bowman Willie Mays that was nicely centered and better than its grade. And I've seen some graded higher, that were way off center and not as nice. James, I have always liked the 52 Bowman Mantle also! Again, thanks! Tony

Last edited by SyrNy1960; 06-16-2023 at 02:46 PM.