NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-08-2013, 07:10 PM
Jerry

Default Press Photo and Wire Photo Questions - Newbie

Hello:

I've been primarily a baseball card collector for the past 40 years and I have decided to branch out a little into collecting vintage photographs. I started a thread about a week ago re: some questions I had about the recent Henry Yee eBay auction. Thanks again to all those that answered my questions in that thread! Since then I've read the very informative Cycleback info. too at http://www.cycleback.com/

So ... I bought and received my first few press photo's and wire photo's this week and have some more questions, now that I have a few photo's in my hand :-)

I bought what I think is an original press photo (below). My questions are:

1) I THINK this is an original press photo because I don't see the obvious lines that the couple wire photo's I bought have on them. Also, the editorial/credit/date (07/10/47) are glued to the back on brownish paper with purple ink type, and there is an ACME credit stamp and N.E.A date stamp (07/18/47 ... file date?) also in purple ink. Is there anything else I can look for on the front of the photo to determine if it is an original photo as opposed to a copy of a photo that was created via the wiring process? BTW ... because the brown paper was glued to the back of the photo, the photo is pretty wrinkled which I assume is normal. Does the wrinkling in general detract from the value of these type of old photo's?

2) I see the N.E.A date (file date?) stamps on a lot of press photo's. I assume NEA stands for Newspaper Enterprise Association, but I don't see a definitive time that N.E.A. is/was in existence, i.e. like UPI was from 1958 - Today. And there seem to be a lot of NEA stamps on the backs of photo's with other news service stamps like ACME. Got me to wondering what the story is with NEA and why they are/were so prolific?

3) Is there anything I should know about counterfeit news stamps before I start purchasing more press photo's?

4) Is it possible to remove stickers off the back of these old photo's? I saw in a separate thread that gentle heat (hair dryer on low?) may be used to get the sticker off but was not sure how to get the sticker glue residue off.

5) For the couple wire photo's I bought ... is it true that if the lines in the photo are more pronounced that the photo may have been re-wired more than wire photo's with less pronounced lines? Or were certain wire processes just more destructive ...?

Thanks in advance for any pointers/comments!

Old 06-08-2013, 08:16 PM
Bill Boyd

obc
Try again with your attachments.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:55 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

If you can post the photos again, the questions about the stamps can be answered usually pretty easily.

As to your other questions...

3) Is there anything I should know about counterfeit news stamps before I start purchasing more press photo's?
To my knowledge at this time, counterfeit stamps have not been a significant issue. Though, as photography collecting becomes more mainstream, it wouldn't surprise me if it does become an issue.

4) Is it possible to remove stickers off the back of these old photo's? I saw in a separate thread that gentle heat (hair dryer on low?) may be used to get the sticker off but was not sure how to get the sticker glue residue off.
What types of stickers and why do you want to remove them. I can understand those on the front, but unless the sticker is covering something important, like a Conlon stamp, I would leave it alone.

5) For the couple wire photo's I bought ... is it true that if the lines in the photo are more pronounced that the photo may have been re-wired more than wire photo's with less pronounced lines? Or were certain wire processes just more destructive ...?
I'm not sure what you mean, but I'll try to answer. if you're asking does sending a previously wired photo over the wire again cause further degradation of the clarity of the photo, then the answer is yes. If you're asking something else, please clarify your question and I can try again.

Hope that helps,
Mark

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 06-08-2013, 10:01 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Not sure why the photos don't seem to be showing for you guys. They display fine for me, so I'll re-attach them below and see if that helps.

On your questions:

1) Yes, the photo you have is a Type 1 Original. A little waviness/rippling to the photo won't really affect the value, and could probably be pressed out if desired. Generally speaking, condition issues that do not detract from the central image are not a big concern with news photos, and certainly not to the degree that they are with cards. The way I see it, a photo being in good condition is a nice perk, but with most vintage photography, chances are you'll never see another period print of that exact image to potentially upgrade to, so you base your decision to buy or not on the central image itself, not whether the white border around it shows signs of handling. Or in simpler terms, if it will produce a good scan, it's okay by me

2) You are correct that NEA stands for Newspaper Enterprise Association. It was founded in 1902 by Edward Willis Scripps and was one of the first news syndicates, handling distribution of news, features and comics to subscribing newspapers. Think of NEA as the parent company. In 1923 they ventured into photo distribution as well with United Newspictures, changing the name a couple years later to Acme Newspictures. This is why you will often see the stampings of both Acme Newspictures (the photo distributor) and NEA (the parent company) on the same photo. At the end of the 1920's, they also acquired Pacific & Atlantic Photos which added to their subscriber base and gave them a larger coverage area. In 1952, Acme Newspictures was consolidated with United Press, another Scripps-Howard photo distributor and they continued under the singular name of United Press. Prior to that consolidation, Acme had handled national photo coverage, and UP international, so after their consolidation they provided true worldwide coverage. (Thanks to A Portrait of Baseball Photography for all of the above info).

NEA was a big, dominant news syndicate, which is one reason you see a lot of their photos being offered. The other is that the group behind the various historicimages seller usernames on eBay has recently acquired and begun listing NEA's photo archives. So you can expect to be seeing LOTS of photos, of all genres, hitting eBay over the next few months (or years?)

3) what Mark said

4) Don't worry about stickers and such on the backs of photos. The reason those are there is that as the various newspapers' archives are broken up and sold off, the sellers have added bar-coded labels for keeping track of the thousands or millions of photos they are processing as well as "hologram" or other stickers to indicate which archive the photo came from. Some re-sellers make a big deal of the "pedigree" of the photo based on the sticker, but it really doesn't matter whether the photo came from The Sporting News, The San Francisco Examiner, NEA, or any of the other archives that have been broken up. Chances are, if you attempt to remove the sticker, you're going to wind up doing more harm than good, and nobody will thank you for it if you're successful unless, like Mark said, the sticker is covering something important (most of the time, the sellers of these archive photos have sense enough to not cover anything important).

5) Again, what Mark said. Also, as I think was mentioned in the other thread, some wire photo processes were simply better than others. Keep in mind that most of the time, the wire photos were published in newspapers, which inherently have HORRIBLE image quality compared to the original photos, especially in those early days. I suspect that having a wire photo that came through with less-than-stellar quality was not as big of a problem as we might normally think, and a skilled editor could touch up almost anything to make it good enough to print. I've seen a couple recently where they basically completely redrew the main subject's facial features to improve the contrast enough that they would show up in print! I might also guess that some of those photos with wider-spaced lines making up the image are a result of a poor transmission the first time around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DonBlackFront800.jpg (68.6 KB, 281 views)
File Type: jpg DonBlackBack800.jpg (73.3 KB, 279 views)

Last edited by thecatspajamas; 06-08-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:13 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Thanks for the pics Lance.
Don't know why I couldn't see them in his post, but they are fine in yours.
As for my thought on your questions 1 and 2...What Lance said +1

Old 06-09-2013, 10:03 AM
Jerry

Hmm ... not sure why my pics didn't show up. I can see them fine. Thanks for re-posting them Lance.

And Mark ... thanks for the feedback on counterfeit stamps. As a baseball card collector we have so many counterfeit issues to deal with when buying vintage cards off eBay. So I was curious about photograph stampings since I'm so new to the hobby and it seems like it would be easy to make/use counterfeit stamps.

As for the stickers on the back of photo's ... I was referring to the eBay seller name sticker "historicimages" on the back of the photo I posted. Thank you Lance for the clarification. I wasn't sure if it was common practice to put a 21st century sticker on the back of a a 20th century photo.

As for the quality of the wire photo's ... I have one wire photo that the lines on the front are more pronounced than on the other photo. I thought maybe if a wire photo was put on a wire machine again it would add more lines as opposed to a wire photo that was an original first copy wire photo never put on a wire machine again. I'm still not sure that made sense :-) Thank you Mark and Lance for the clarification about potential poor wire transmissions and the difference in quality between original photo's and wire photo's in general. This will help me in the future when buying photo's off eBay. Although I must say there are tons of interesting wire photo's on eBay right now, but seeing the quality of the wire photo (front) is rather difficult because of watermarks, etc.

Thank you Lance for identifying this photo as a Type 1. I was not certain. And also for the info. about NEA. BTW ... I tried to ILL the Fogel/Yee and Cycleback books from my public library but was told that the state of Vermont has no holdings for either copy. One of the hazards of living in rural Vermont I suppose :-)

Thanks to all for the feedback. Much appreciated and useful to me as I enter this new hobby!
Old 06-09-2013, 10:31 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Dude,
I don't know your name, but I thought you might be interested in this.

http://www.amazon.com/Portrait-Baseb.../dp/0971609713

Old 06-09-2013, 11:45 AM
Chris G.

Just FYI - the stickers on the back of the Historic Images / NEA photos are removable and will not damage the photo. This is for everything numbered NEA 2501 and higher. They are strictly used for inventory management purposes and were never intended to become a permanent part of the photo.

Hope this helps...
Old 06-09-2013, 12:53 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Mark, high five on the tag-team responses!

Chris, that is good to know. Any particular method that works best to remove them? Never mind. I just tried it myself. Simply got under one corner and it peeled right off. Thanks for the tip, as I probably never would have tried it otherwise!

Last edited by thecatspajamas; 06-09-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:35 AM
Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisGalbreath View Post
Just FYI - the stickers on the back of the Historic Images / NEA photos are removable and will not damage the photo. This is for everything numbered NEA 2501 and higher. They are strictly used for inventory management purposes and were never intended to become a permanent part of the photo.

Hope this helps...
Thanks Chris! I just pulled one off with no problems!
Old 06-15-2013, 10:00 AM
Jerry

OK ... I guess I SHOULD get that book by Fogel/Yee et. al. as I am still kinda' confused about original Type I photographs (Lance if you still have a spare of the Fogel/Yee book you mentioned a few weeks ago you can PM me). My confusion is this. There was a 1938 Lefty Gomez press photo that I bought that I thought was an original Type I (unique ... only one produced at that time) photo until I saw an identical one last night that sold on eBay. The one I saw last night has the same brown paper provenance on the back and same # at the top of the brown paper, same date and ACME/NEA stamps, etc. The only difference is the stamps are in different places on the back than the photo I bought last week. So obviously this Type I photo was developed I assume off the same original negative multiple times by news services and distributed en masse (I'm pretty sure it's not a wire photo). Which now makes me wonder how one knows if a photo is rare in that it was not mass developed off an original negative i.e. a one of a kind Type I? Not sure that made sense. Still learning as you can tell :-) I guess my main questions are:

1) Is a Type I photo a one of a kind photo (no others exist)?
2) If not ... how do you determine if a Type I photo is rare i.e. there were not many of the Type I photo produced?

As always ... thanks for any enlightenment!
Old 06-15-2013, 10:26 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

First off is that being a type 1 photo doesn't mean that it is the only one made. Type 1 only means made from the original negative within approximately 2yrs of when the photo was taken.
Second, and to me the most important thing, is to collect what moves you, not what anyone else thinks is rare and cool.
No one knows how many of any photo was made, so no one can say how many still exist.
Best,
Mark

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Old 06-15-2013, 11:17 AM
Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
First off is that being a type 1 photo doesn't mean that it is the only one made. Type 1 only means made from the original negative within approximately 2yrs of when the photo was taken.
Second, and to me the most important thing, is to collect what moves you, not what anyone else thinks is rare and cool.
No one knows how many of any photo was made, so no one can say how many still exist.
Best,
Mark

Thanks for answering my questions Mark! And I agree with you about collecting. I'm primarily interested in 1948-1960's Braves and Giants photo's since I lived in the Bay Area in the 60's and in Georgia most of my adult life. But I do occasionally see other old photo's, like the Lefty Grove, that I think are cool and I sometimes bid on those too. I'm still trying to understand the prices I see paid for some photo's that go pretty high, and I assume they were pricey primarily because the bidders knew that the photos were scarce. Some of these pricey photo's being Braves and Giants that I have an interest in, but the photo doesn't seem as nice in content and subject matter as many others I see for less. Anyway ... I'm still trying to get my head around photo pricing and quality. I come from the baseball card collecting world where I understand distribution, pricing, scarcity and condition pretty well ... usually. But then I've been collecting cards for over 40 years :-) It will just take some time for me to better understand some of these things in the vintage photo world. Anyway ... new hobby for me so still learning. Thanks again for answering my questions!
Old 06-15-2013, 01:05 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

My experience is that photo desirability is only somewhat predictable.
Here are a few guidelines I have observed.
Players in uniform sell for more than non uniform ones.
Pictures during famous events sell for more than regular occasions.
Pictures that are emotionally moving sell for more.
I have found that rarity has some impact, but not in the way you think. A 1915 Ruth photo is more expensive because there may be less around. Nobody knows for sure how many, but it likely wouldn't matter. Even if there were 5 copies, many people would still be competing for them.
The last thing I leave you with is that pics are just like cards. Regardless of how mundane the subject matter might be, if 2 people want a picture, the price can be much higher than expected.
Enjoy,
Mark

Old 06-15-2013, 02:26 PM
Bill Boyd

Obc,
I have seen in my cousin's collection of press photos, two sets of doubles that he obtained. Both came out of same newspaper collection. I don't recall if one of the pairs had crop marks and one did not, that would make sense. I do remember one had clipping on back and one did not.
The second pair I just don't recall if their were any differences.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:05 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

To add a few more factors to Mark's list that may account for some of the price spikes you have noticed:

Family members of players will often pay a premium for photos of their granddad/cousin/father/step-uncle/etc, regardless of whether he was popular or had a long career. I have a "watch list" of at least 100 names that I try to notify interested family members if/when I happen to have a photo of their family member, and I suspect have sold a great deal more photos to family members who didn't bother to identify themselves as such (for instance, who had the same last name).

Ethnicity or nationality of players can be a factor, particularly for those who are among the first few of that group to play in the majors.

The photographer, if known, can add a level of desirability, though it is often difficult to discern how much of the value is based on the pedigree vs. the quality of image for which the photographer is known for (in other words, is a Burke photo of a player worth more because it has Burke's name stamped on the back, or because the image that Burke typically produced, even of no-name players, is of a higher quality than most of his contemporaries?)

The team that the player is associated with - just about every team has die-hard collectors who will pay more for anyone in the uniform of their chosen team, and some teams simply have more fans than others. When you're selling, you just have to hope that at least 2 die-hard fans are duking it out for your photos.

Obscurity - goes along with the one above - if someone is looking to put together a collection of every player to play for a particular team, the guys who were only in that uniform for a short time can command a higher price than their stats might lead you to expect simply because there are not many images of them in that uniform

Bottom line is, it all comes back around to what Mark and others have said in that you should collect what you like first and foremost. You could go crazy trying to figure out why one particular photo went so high, and even if you do decipher who is bidding on it and why, there is no guarantee that the next time a similar photo comes up one of the main competitors won't be away on vacation or something, resulting in drastically different results. Looking at only high-quality images of HOFers by famous photographers can give more predictable results, because there are always many eyes on those types of photos which takes out some of the variability, but even in the deep end of the pool there are still spikes and dips in prices.

Last edited by thecatspajamas; 06-15-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:18 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyb View Post
Obc,
I have seen in my cousin's collection of press photos, two sets of doubles that he obtained. Both came out of same newspaper collection. I don't recall if one of the pairs had crop marks and one did not, that would make sense. I do remember one had clipping on back and one did not.
The second pair I just don't recall if their were any differences.
I'm sure it varies depending on the source, but I suspect that is the case with many photos, particularly those produced for in-house use rather than to fulfill orders or subscribers' needs. That way, if you screw one print up when prepping the publication, you would have a back-up on hand rather than having to scramble to find a replacement before press-time. And if you didn't wind up using the duplicate print, why not file it away with the other?

As far as the exact number of prints of any given photo that are in existence, I don't think there is any way to know for sure. For a given news service photo, you would have to know how many subscribers there were for that service at the time (which I have never seen any hard, or even soft, numbers for, has anyone else?), but even that would only give you a starting point and would not account for the numbers that were lost, destroyed in the process of creating the publication, or simply thrown out when the archives became too crowded or the publication folded.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:26 PM
Bill Boyd

The one pair I was referring to was of when Ruth gave his daughter a blood transfusion. I have seen that photo before, or one like it. I am sure there were many photographers in the hospital taking pictures, and although same incident, the photos will be slightly different.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:09 AM
Jerry

Thanks for all this helpful information. Even though I'm new to vintage photo collecting ... I believe I'm beginning to understand better what to look for in old photographs ... beyond what I already like due to subject matter (Giants & Braves players). And most of what I know so far is due to the help of members like you on this board who are willing to share your experiences. Thank you all.

PS: Thanks to Lance I will have a copy of A Portrait of Baseball Photography by Fogel/Oser/Yee soon, and I really look forward to reading this book!
Old 06-20-2013, 04:55 PM
Jerry

Default Auction houses/catalogs that sell vintage photo's

Had another quick question about vintage photo collecting. What are like the top two or three auction houses that I should be aware of as far as those that often sell original sports photographs? For instance ... not too many years ago I used to get a Maestro (I think) catalog once or twice a year ... then it stopped coming (not sure why). I think there used to be some nice original photo's in those catalogs. So a few weeks ago I got on their website to order a catalog. Hopefully it will come soon. But are there any other big or small auction houses/catalogs I should be aware of ... that often auction original photographs? Thanks in advance!
Old 06-20-2013, 06:53 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Jerry,
The collecting of vintage photography has really shot up over the past couple of years. With the release of more and more newspaper archives, it seems thousands of new pics have come onto the market.

If I had to pick, I think Legendary and Heritage seem to be the most high end as far as the prices. Not to sell anyone short, but most of the top auction houses are listing multiple photos with each auction.

Just keep searching....

Best,
Mark

Old 06-20-2013, 09:03 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

+1 to everything Mark said.

Most all of the sports auction houses will have at least a couple of lots of vintage news photos and maybe a handful of cabinet photos in their auctions these days, though the way they deal with them can vary widely. On the news photos, you usually see more of the "group of hall of famers and stars" variety, with maybe a shot of the fronts of all of them (if the lot isn't too large, and you're lucky), but rarely are the backs shown, making it difficult to glean any kind of meaningful research from looking at the lots.

Occasionally they might have a particular emphasis on photos for 1 catalog, which (lately) means that John Rogers has chosen that particular auction house this month. I know he's done several rounds through Legendary, at least one big run through Mears, and probably some others that I'm forgetting. Seems like it winds up being feast or famine when it comes to photos.