NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-23-2023, 03:32 PM

Default Ferguson Bread BF2 Pennant w/premium # on back

I recently picked up in a group of BF2's, one with an adhesive stamp on the back with serial and premium number. It appears to be original to the pennant. Has anyone seen another? or is it just something random attached later...

Scott
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img504.jpg (186.6 KB, 195 views)
Old 05-23-2023, 03:38 PM

Hello,

If I remember correctly, there was a thread within the last year that had some of these and a discussion about them.

David
Old 05-23-2023, 03:39 PM
Todd Schultz

I have seen them from time to time. I believe they are original to the product.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 05-23-2023, 03:52 PM
Bob C.

They are original to the product from my understanding, and you occasionally come across BF2 pennants with the stamp still attached on the back. I have one or two myself. They are rare, but not necessarily worth a large (or any) premium in my experience.

Last edited by BobC; 05-23-2023 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-23-2023, 04:04 PM

I did find another in a past BST post, however it was an entirely different looking stamp.

The good news is the front outweighs the potential stamp value
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img505.jpg (196.5 KB, 181 views)
Old 05-23-2023, 04:37 PM
Bob C.

After some further checking on the BF2 pennants I have......

They are supposedly original to the product from my understanding, and you occasionally come across B18 pennants with a stamp still attached on the back. I have three with a back stamp myself. They are somewhat rare, but not necessarily worth a large (or any) premium in my experience.

However, the stamps I have on the backs of my BF2's are different than your stamp. Your stamps are more square, white, with all black and red print. My stamps are more like a thin strip, with a tan/off-white color material, and that start with a larger designated number on the left of the stamp, and then on the right side of the stamp, three lines of some much smaller print. My large numbers are presented as: No. 679, No, 18, and No. 307. Oddly, the first two are printed in black ink, but the third one is in a light green color. And then to the right of all three of these numbers, there is a further, though much smaller, three line printing that is done in red ink. These smaller printings are all similar in nature and content. They show as follows:

Board
GJJ

These are exactly the same on the two stamps that also have the larger numbers to the left printed in black ink (Nos. 18 and 607). They are also both Guy Morton BF2 pennants, which may explain the similar 5283 numbers on the stamps. But then why the two different larger numbers on the right side of these Guy Morton stamps (No. 18 and No. 607)? The additional printing on my Joe Judge BF2 pennant stamp with the larger green number, No. 307, reads with a different number printed under the word "Board", as follows:

Board
GJJ

Am not so sure now what the difference is between the two different types of stamps on these. Nor exactly what the larger numbers refer to, or the differing numbers written under the word "Board", that seem to go along based on the color of the print of the larger numbers on these stamps and/or the player on the BF2 pennants. Also, no idea what the GJJ on all three stamps stands for either.

So now I have even more questions as well, and wonder why the back stamp on your BF2 pennant differs from the three back stamps on mine.

Out of curiosity, who is the player on the front of your back stamped pennant? Oops, see you already posted it is Buck Weaver on the front.

Last edited by BobC; 05-27-2023 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-23-2023, 04:58 PM
Todd Schultz

I really wish I would have saved the scans, and maybe I did somewhere, but I am pretty sure that both types of stamps are found, maybe indicating that they were issued by more than one distributor.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 05-23-2023, 06:42 PM

Here are a few more - not mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nnn.jpg (197.0 KB, 164 views)
Old 05-23-2023, 06:49 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty39 View Post
Here are a few more - not mine.
Thats it Marty, same stamps on the backs of the BF2 pennants that I have. Hard to see, but there is the much smaller red printing of the three lines I described, to the right of each of those larger number designations.

Don't think I've ever seen a stamp like Scott has on the back of his BF2 pennant before.

Also noticed all the larger numbers on those stamps are printed in the same black ink. Not sure what is up with the one I have where that large number is printed with a light green ink instead.

Last edited by BobC; 05-23-2023 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-23-2023, 07:03 PM
Frank Wakefield

I have one, somewhere...

I've only seen the sticker like the one on the back of that Weaver BF2. For that pic of a bunch of other pennants with the "No. xxx", I have no recollection of seeing those. Are you guys sure those are on BF2's??
Old 05-23-2023, 07:34 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
I have one, somewhere...

I've only seen the sticker like the one on the back of that Weaver BF2. For that pic of a bunch of other pennants with the "No. xxx", I have no recollection of seeing those. Are you guys sure those are on BF2's??
Yup, and actually found I had a fourth one with the stamp on the back, just like the ones in Matty's image he shared.

Definitely a bit of a head scratcher as to why two different types of back stamps.

Last edited by BobC; 05-23-2023 at 07:37 PM.
Old 05-24-2023, 07:43 AM
Frank Wakefield

Found the one I have with the sticker...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Wood BF2.jpeg (156.9 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpeg Wood BF2 the back.jpeg (176.5 KB, 125 views)
Old 05-24-2023, 08:31 AM
Frank Wakefield

In response to BobC's headscratcher observation...

My mind is stuck in old movies...

The King and I, Yul Brynner, "Tis great puzzlement."

With what little info we have, I think Todd's thought of a different supplier of the premiums makes sense, I wonder which one came first (just assuming they weren't simultaneous).

Scott's Weaver and my Wood both have the same SERIAL No. (I wonder why all capital letters), and a different Premium No.

Oh for the time machine... go back in time and spend a few dollars on mail in full sets of those Cracker Jack cards, get good odds and put down a good mid season bet on the Boston Braves winning the 1914 World Series, and stuff like that... eventually I'd go try to figure out this Ferguson Bakery stuff.
Old 05-24-2023, 10:01 AM

Normally these companies offered a broad array of different premioums over the years, I am guessing that the Serial # is the type of item(BF2 Pennant) and the Premium # is for the player???
Old 05-24-2023, 10:33 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
In response to BobC's headscratcher observation...

My mind is stuck in old movies...

The King and I, Yul Brynner, "Tis great puzzlement."

With what little info we have, I think Todd's thought of a different supplier of the premiums makes sense, I wonder which one came first (just assuming they weren't simultaneous).

Scott's Weaver and my Wood both have the same SERIAL No. (I wonder why all capital letters), and a different Premium No.

Oh for the time machine... go back in time and spend a few dollars on mail in full sets of those Cracker Jack cards, get good odds and put down a good mid season bet on the Boston Braves winning the 1914 World Series, and stuff like that... eventually I'd go try to figure out this Ferguson Bakery stuff.
Rather than coming from a different supplier, could it be that the differing serial numbers/stamps was done for different distributors? Maybe the same company manufacturing all the pennants then sold them to different distributors, and used the differing stamps, serial numbers, etc. to differentiate the items for the different distributors? It has been determined that these BF2 pennants are now no longer considered as strictly a Ferguson Bakery item, IIRC, and actually may not have had anything to do with Ferguson Bakery as their distributor at all. And the images used are the same as those used on the M101-4 cards, which were I believe produced by a firm out of Chicago. So really hard to say exactly why the differing back stamps on these BF2 pennants. I wish the smaller red printing on the back stamps in the image Matty shared were more visible. As I noted in an earlier post, there is an additional 4-digit code or number on each of those, which seems to be based on the subject shown on the pennant, as demonstrated by my having two Guy Morton BF3 pennants with the same 4-digit number on each. The larger number on those other back stamps are different though, so no idea what those are supposed to represent then, but they clearly seem to not represent the image on the pennant. As noted earlier, a bit of a head scratcher IMO. Interesting topic and discussion though.
Old 05-24-2023, 10:33 AM
Bob C.

Last edited by BobC; 05-24-2023 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-26-2023, 06:59 PM
Todd Schultz

Here's another. I own it, and don't know why I didn't check before posting earlier. Oh well.
Old 05-27-2023, 08:02 AM
Ed Hans

Default Re: Ferguson Bread BF2 Pennant w/premium # on back

Don't have any currently, but Richard has a Walsh and, I think, one other. They look a little different than many of those pictured, if I remember correctly.