NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-23-2016, 01:39 PM
A.J. Johnson

Default Brad Ziegler collects baseball cards

Always fascinated by players who also collect.

https://shar.es/1wraTE
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 08-23-2016, 02:14 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjohnsonsoxfan View Post
Always fascinated by players who also collect.

https://shar.es/1wraTE

Cool - but doesn't sound like he appreciates vintage.

-and he likes Panini - ugh!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 08-23-2016, 07:44 PM
Christopher Zu.psic

And shills his own eBay auctions, lol.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:49 PM
Danny Smith

He's been in the news before because of his less than kind exchanges when attempting to purchase cards.

http://deadspin.com/d-backs-reliever...ts-i-453369559

And he's also been outed as a shiller on blowout.

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/m...ardsniper.html
Old 08-24-2016, 11:20 AM
Rich v@n He$$

I sold a box of wax packs to Heath Bell during the St Louis All Star Fan Fest. Didnt recognize him until he signed the credit card receipt.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:12 PM
Ben North

I used to sell a lot of error cards on eBay. I have sold many to players and their family members. My favorite was Brian Holman. Brian was famous for blowing a perfect game with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th. He gave up the last home run of Ken Phelps' career to blow the perfect game.

He is a great guy and we exchanged several emails. He even sent my brother a bunch of autographed cards for his birthday for free.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:31 PM
Bill Gregory

What a self-absorbed ass. He asked "hey, what price are you asking for", and then proceeded to belittle the seller when his asking price wasn't agreeable. LOL, please.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:14 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
What a self-absorbed ass. He asked "hey, what price are you asking for", and then proceeded to belittle the seller when his asking price wasn't agreeable. LOL, please.
Right the seller should have had the language that said any best price type request will be met with 'whats the most you can offer'..saves the headaches..
Old 08-26-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
I have read the story referenced several times and am confused by these statements.

Zeigler wanted the card at price he felt was fair. He was frustrated, but only seemed to be making comments to justify what he thought the value was. By including the $4.5k reference in his ask, he was indicating his starting point when the initial ask was $20k. The seller responds with a price of $12k.
Zeigler's response could be considered snarky when he says that it won't sell for that much. The seller responds with the classic, "I have a couple other offers of $9k."
The most snarky response is from the seller when he says, "Good luck with your collection, this is one card that certainly won't be in it. It is sad that you have this much time on your hand to argue with people about what they are selling on e-bay. Get a life my dear."
It is at that point that Zeigler brings up that he is a MLB player in defense of the time on your hands argument. He also brings up his expertise on these types of cards as that seems to be his collecting focus. But it wasn't presented in a mean or snarky way. Again more frustrated and possibly petulant.
The only thing I can criticize Zeigler for was persistence. He should have cut bait when the seller brought up the other offers.

I would be curious to know whether and/or what the card eventually sold for.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:32 AM
Doug Goodman

When I make offers for far less than the asking price, I politely explain my logic for the "low ball" offer, and don't take it personally when the answer is no.

When I receive offers for far less than the asking price, I politely decline, or accept or counter. Easy.

Both of them spent far more time on that conversation than I would of, from either direction.

Doug
Old 08-26-2016, 10:39 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default ?

Who is Brad Ziegler? Never heard of him. And no, I don't care enough to Google him.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:25 AM
Luke Lyon

I agree. The seller seemed like more of a jerk. Sending that little exchange to deadspin is a really dramatic attention-whore move. I don't really think Zeigler said anything too bad, and it definitely wasn't worthy of a story being written about it.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:25 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

Besides Ziegler, pat neshek is a big collector and has some amazing PSA registry sets. NFL All pro lineman Evan Mathis is a serious collector. And apparently former NFL WR Brandon stokley collects everything Muhammad Ali.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:03 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBesse27 View Post
Besides Ziegler, pat neshek is a big collector and has some amazing PSA registry sets. NFL All pro lineman Evan Mathis is a serious collector. And apparently former NFL WR Brandon stokley collects everything Muhammad Ali.
I just purchased a group of incredibly rare Nebraska Indians items from former major leaguer Ted Kubiak. He's a longtime dealer on ebay of baseball memorabilia.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:25 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeBailey2 View Post
I have read the story referenced several times and am confused by these statements.
The seller had listed the Ruth for $20k, and when messaged privately by Ziegler, said he wouldn't accept less than $12k.

Quote:
I will not consider anything less than $12,000. We can discuss further if you are still interested. Thanks
Ziegler clearly wasn't going to offer anywhere close to the seller's asking price of $12k. He stated that the market was half of his $12k bottom line, so there was a massive gap between what the seller was willing to accept, and the buyer was willing to pay. There was no further reason for him to contact the seller. None. But he did, anyway.

Quote:
No one will ever pay you $12k for a Ruth cut auto - you can get his auto on a baseball for way less than that and it's not like his autos are rare. Popular? Sure, but not rare. A search on eBay will find you 20 of them at any time. Thanks for finally writing me back, and enjoy the card. If you lower your price, I'd be interested, but not at almost double the market value.
Ziegler may be right; it's possible, likely, even, that nobody would ever offer him $12,000 for the card. But, the seller is clearly firm on his price, and is willing to wait and see what offers he gets. There are literally thousands of cards that sit on EBay, never selling, because the sellers are firm on their prices. This is nothing new. The two men weren't going to do business, so what was Ziegler hoping to accomplish with his continued correspondence? He's trying to badger the seller into acquiescing, into lowering his asking price.

The seller then responded.

Quote:
Thanks. I have done my research, but I do appreciate your input.
At that point, there was no need for either side to message each other. Absolutely none. Ziegler should have let it go. But instead, he came back like a condescending ass.

Quote:
Yeah, you must've looked at cards sold in 2005 when everyone had lots of money and no fear of losing their job.
You're right, Brad. I'm sure that, when researching sales of Babe Ruth cut auto baseball cards with authenticated game used memorabilia, he was looking at sales from nearly a decade earlier, in 2005.

Still, the buyer took the high road (though he really shouldn't have responded at all). He's still responding cordially.

Quote:
The great thing about America is that I can choose to sell for what I want, and you can choose to buy for what you want. If you don’t agree with the price of my card, then you can go buy one of the auto balls or cards that you suggested I look at. I have already gotten two offers greater than $9k so I am not at worried about selling the card. I hope you find what you are looking for. Thanks
Whether or not he'd truly received offers of $9k is irrelevant. Everything else he said is true. He can put the ball up for whatever he wants, as the owner. And anybody else can offer what they want to buy it. Ziegler did. Only, when his offer was shot down, instead of taking it like an adult, he persisted further, calling the seller's research, and then, his logic, into question. Now, he's acting like a petulant child. How dare somebody not kowtow to him. He already has thirteen Ruth autos, and, by God, he's going to get this one, too, by wearing the seller down. It's ridiculous, and embarrassing.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 08-27-2016 at 11:40 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:01 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

More embarrassing was the blowout link where he confirms he was shill bidding his own auctions.
Full disclosure: he was one of my closers in fantasy this year until he got traded out of the NL.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:54 AM
Christopher Zu.psic

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
More embarrassing was the blowout link where he confirms he was shill bidding his own auctions.
Full disclosure: he was one of my closers in fantasy this year until he got traded out of the NL.
Yep. This reflects on him more negatively, than his bantering with the Ruth seller. Ziegler is complaining about a seller asking more for his card, yet this professional ball player making millions shills his own cards. That's pathetic.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:05 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
if it was an NL only cbs sports league you still get the stats and you dont have to drop him.