NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-18-2020, 11:50 AM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Default What Do You Make of This Fake Mantle Sale???

Sorry if this was previously discussed. Here is a typical '52 Topps Mantle reprint card that sold in May on eBay for $3050.00 The seller is very typical, disclaiming any knowledge of authenticity, but also sprinkling just enough "provenance" in there to make you wonder if it's the real deal, like, It looks very old and my grandfather gave it to me as a kid.

Here's where it gets strange. It's an obvious reprint, and we should all conclude that this will not end well for the buyer. However, the buyer leaves positive feedback stating that this card is "excellent for a FAKE Mantle" (emphasis mine).

So he knows the card is a fake, and he's willing to be out over $3000 for it. Help me out, somebody, because I just don't know what to make of this at all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (42.5 KB, 442 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled3.jpg (44.8 KB, 434 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled2.jpg (46.1 KB, 430 views)

Last edited by robw1959; 07-18-2020 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-18-2020, 12:43 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

It's deception on the sellers part with the back story. Regardless of how it's listed. My assumption is it's either a gullible/hopeful buyer or buyer wanting to flip it as original. The argument will be made that the "buyer should buy graded" which is very self serving. This card is clearly fake, the buyer has a responsibility to do some work and not rely on a piece of plastic. There are plenty of fakes in slabs too. This is really just someone willing to take a risk. Maybe it's the seller too trying to get some credibility in his stash of cards given him as a kid(yeah right). Next up Leaf Robinson or Goudey Ruth.
Old 07-18-2020, 01:01 PM
Randy

some people have more money than brains
Old 07-18-2020, 05:51 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao_Moko View Post
It's deception on the sellers part with the back story. Regardless of how it's listed. My assumption is it's either a gullible/hopeful buyer or buyer wanting to flip it as original. The argument will be made that the "buyer should buy graded" which is very self serving. This card is clearly fake, the buyer has a responsibility to do some work and not rely on a piece of plastic. There are plenty of fakes in slabs too. This is really just someone willing to take a risk. Maybe it's the seller too trying to get some credibility in his stash of cards given him as a kid(yeah right). Next up Leaf Robinson or Goudey Ruth.
I guess it's possible. Anything is possible on eBay these days. But the idea of buying this worthless card that he knows is worthless, and potentially flipping it for a profit is more like the stuff dreams are made of.

Last edited by robw1959; 07-18-2020 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-18-2020, 06:15 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Well, cheaper than a 1990 Fleer Jose Uribe or a Topps common missing some black ink... ;-)

Possibilities:
1) Money laundering
2) Accidentally typed "fake" in feedback as some kind of Freudian slip.
3) Sent a message to seller with an offer of $10, the seller sent back a specific offer of $10, but the sale still looks like the original BIN list price of $3,050.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 07-18-2020, 07:06 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw1959 View Post
The seller is very typical, disclaiming any knowledge of authenticity, but also sprinkling just enough "provenance" in there to make you wonder if it's the real deal, like, It looks very old and my grandfather gave it to me as a kid.
It IS conceivable that a man could give his grandson a '52 Mantle that he knows to be a reprint, and many years later, the kid, who grows up to be a person of less than sterling ethics, puts it up for sale and says "my grandfather gave it to me" - which, in the case of this hypothetical example, would be true.
Old 07-18-2020, 08:20 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
It IS conceivable that a man could give his grandson a '52 Mantle that he knows to be a reprint, and many years later, the kid, who grows up to be a person of less than sterling ethics, puts it up for sale and says "my grandfather gave it to me" - which, in the case of this hypothetical example, would be true.
If the seller is 11 years old, his grandfather could've given it to him last month.

What is deceptive is the part of the listing that says Manufacturer: Topps. Topps didn't make that card.
Old 07-18-2020, 09:49 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
If the seller is 11 years old, his grandfather could've given it to him last month.

What is deceptive is the part of the listing that says Manufacturer: Topps. Topps didn't make that card.
All good points here. Whether the buyer was deceived or not is immaterial to me. But what is frankly stunning to me is that the buyer has forked out $3000+ for a card that he knows is a fake! And I still don't know what to make of it. I mean, come on, man! Let's say he did buy it to flip in hopes of turning a profit, which is highly unlikely. He could have bought this card for a couple of bucks and then tea-bagged it like the original seller probably did, right? Something is just plain amiss here.
Old 07-18-2020, 10:04 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Well, cheaper than a 1990 Fleer Jose Uribe or a Topps common missing some black ink... ;-)

Possibilities:
1) Money laundering
2) Accidentally typed "fake" in feedback as some kind of Freudian slip.
3) Sent a message to seller with an offer of $10, the seller sent back a specific offer of $10, but the sale still looks like the original BIN list price of $3,050.
I think we can safely rule out the last theory since it wasn't a BIN, but a straight auction with 8 bids, the last one being for $3050.
Old 07-19-2020, 06:10 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

No problem. I couldn't divine that from the information you listed, and couldn't look up the sale since it's over 6 months old. I took a guess.
Old 07-19-2020, 08:52 AM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default hmmmm

My best guess is that the buyer got his money back and left the only kind of feedback eBay would allow.....
Old 07-19-2020, 09:32 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1880nonsports View Post
My best guess is that the buyer got his money back and left the only kind of feedback eBay would allow.....
Very reasonable. Buyers can leave Neutrals though right?
Old 07-19-2020, 09:34 AM
Howard Chasser

Default I've got it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw1959 View Post
All good points here. Whether the buyer was deceived or not is immaterial to me. But what is frankly stunning to me is that the buyer has forked out $3000+ for a card that he knows is a fake! And I still don't know what to make of it. I mean, come on, man! Let's say he did buy it to flip in hopes of turning a profit, which is highly unlikely. He could have bought this card for a couple of bucks and then tea-bagged it like the original seller probably did, right? Something is just plain amiss here.
buyer thinking - if the real one is worth 20k-30k then a fake must be worth 10-15% of that!
Old 07-19-2020, 09:40 AM
Bill Cauley

I find the seller's bogus language of uncertainty in the authenticity of the card to be amusing when everything else he sells are graded cards. If you were not sure on the authenticity, why not get it graded like all of your other cards that you sell? Not that this really has anything to do with the buyer forking over that much money for the card, but in my mind anyway, speaks to the kind of person the seller really is.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:46 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Or the buyer resold it for $10K, making it worthwhile to purchase a fake for $3K...