NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 09-24-2020, 03:47 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Default A (Simple?) Checklist Printing Question

Here's the set up:
Looking for some clarification. Say Topps is printing the second series of cards (in an early 1960's set), so these sheets contain the second series checklist and also the 'upcoming' third series checklist. My question is (and my assumption is), were the same number of second and third series checklists (usually) printed on said sheets? In other words, if the sheets contained a total of 264 cards (88 cards times 3), did that mean there were three copies of the 2nd series checklist and three copies of the 3rd series checklist printed, or was there ever a 4/2 split or something like that instead??

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 09-24-2020, 04:17 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

No guarantee they'd have the same number of copies. One could be double printed in a series just because of which row they ended up on the sheet.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:11 AM

Default checklists

In all of the sheets I have seen from 1961 to 1968, the checklists from the 88 card sheets were printed in equal numbers. Typically, checklist 1 was double-printed in the series 1 printing but then the series 2 checklist was printed in both the first & 2nd print run (usually twice in run 1, 3x in run 2). Checklist 3 was printed in both print run 2 & 3 (3x in each), checklist 4 was printed 3x in each print run 3 & 4, etc. When it came to series 7, only checklist 7 was printed.

It is possible that in the 77 card series (typically series 5, 6,or 7), one checklist might be in a row that was printed more frequently than the other, but I haven't seen that in any of the sheets, partial sheets, or sheet re-constructions that have been completed.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:09 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevvyg1026 View Post
In all of the sheets I have seen from 1961 to 1968, the checklists from the 88 card sheets were printed in equal numbers. Typically, checklist 1 was double-printed in the series 1 printing but then the series 2 checklist was printed in both the first & 2nd print run (usually twice in run 1, 3x in run 2). Checklist 3 was printed in both print run 2 & 3 (3x in each), checklist 4 was printed 3x in each print run 3 & 4, etc. When it came to series 7, only checklist 7 was printed.

It is possible that in the 77 card series (typically series 5, 6,or 7), one checklist might be in a row that was printed more frequently than the other, but I haven't seen that in any of the sheets, partial sheets, or sheet re-constructions that have been completed.
Thank you. So, in the Series 2 printing, it's highly probable that both the second series and third series checklists were printed 3 times apiece, correct? Have you ever run across a Series 2 sheet set-up that had the split differently, say 4 of one and 2 of the other?

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 09-26-2020, 03:40 AM

Default checklists

On conventional 88 card print sheets, there are 8 rows of cards printed 3x each across the full 264 card sheet. One slit (half-sheet) should have two checklists of series 2 and one of the series 3, while the second slit would have one of checklist 2 and two of series 3. Same pattern would repeat in the 3rd print run, etc. Here's an image of the two half-slits from 1964 & 1965 (series 3 shown, but same point) to illustrate.

1964_series_3_sheet_A.jpg

1964_series_3_sheet_B.jpg

1965_series_3.jpg
Old 09-26-2020, 09:11 AM

It is possible, of course, that a wrong back could exist on a checklist, caused by an improper feed.