NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 11-21-2017, 11:59 AM
Adam

Default 1988 Score: A Forgotten Gem

Recently, while sifting through some old boxes in the basement, I came across some cards from the 88 Score set, and became fascinated in the player bios on the backs. They were written by legendary former Sports Illustrated writer Les Woodcock. Now, other than the divisive woodgrain borders, one of my favorite features of 87 Topps was the little player bio section on the backs which taught me (among many other things) that Howard Johnson was the co-winner of a rib eating contest, and that Moose Haas not only had a blackbelt in tae kwon do, but was also an amateur magician and certified locksmith. What a fascinating guy, I thought as a youngster.

Well, 88 Score took that concept and ran a marathon with it. The player bios here are massive. In fact, the print has to be small to fit them on the backs of the cards, so I have to wear my reading glasses to even make them out sometimes. Beyond the standard bio fare, they often include anecdotes and quotations. It's the kind of stuff that I love reading about.

So after having my interest in the set piqued, I decided to order a factory set as they are dirt cheap nowadays (height of the junk wax era). I had fun sorting through the cards with my daughters, finding my favorite players and Detroit Tigers and putting them in a binder. The set focuses mostly on action shots of the players with very few traditional poses. The backs include not only the bios and stat lines, but also a color photo portrait of the player. This was fairly novel for the time. While I'm not crazy about the multi-colored borders throughout the set, the overall design is still somewhat attractive.

The set also includes a cool little Reggie Jackson subset which covers his career. The writeups on the backs of these cards could fill up a small book.

88 Topps has grown on me somewhat over the years, but 88 Donruss and Fleer remain hideous abominations to my eyes. At the time, Score was kind of an afterthought to me. It was a new set, and I just never got into it. But now, looking back, I realize that I missed out.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:41 PM
Mark

Sorry...the the 1988 Score can't hold a candle to the even more underappreciated 1986 Sportflics.

Last edited by darkhorse9; 11-21-2017 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:27 PM
D@vid L@dd

I picked up an 88 Score factory set at a garage sale for $3 a month ago... I might have gotten ripped off investment-wise, but the memories of being an 8th grader when these came out made it worth it!!

Gregg Jefferies...I swear I thought that card would be worth a million dollars one day...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 11-22-2017, 06:45 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Loved the 88 score design. They went downhill from there.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:51 AM

Agree that it was a innovative design for 1988. There are also some sneaky tough spelling variations (Francona, Andersen, Neidenfuer, etc) that aren't expensive but rarely come up for sale
Old 11-22-2017, 12:51 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econteachert205 View Post
Loved the 88 score design. They went downhill from there.
I liked the 1988/89/90 sets, after those 3 I agree they went downhill.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:33 PM
Dave

Nice, I loved this set when it first came out. The different colored borders (reminded me of 75 Topps), the sometimes blurry action photos on the front (76 Topps, 82 Fleer), the color photo and the seeming 50,000 character twitter limit on the back of the card (1986 Sportflics).

For some reason, the regular set seemed to be relegated to junk wax status even quicker then the 88' Donruss Baseball and the 90' ProSet Football.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:58 PM
Rich Klein

I guarantee you there are less 1988-91 Score cards in the hobby than any of the other major companies of that time.

Not that they are rare or scarce but they do show up much less than Donruss or Topps and 1989-91 Fleer.

Rich