NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-05-2016, 10:02 AM
Sc0tt Sp@id

Default 1963 Topps "Bowed" cards. Why?

When I was a kid I owned a great incomplete set of 1963 Topps. I remember they were curved or bowed up. This was before penny sleeves and Card Saver IIs. They were incredibly high grade and I regret selling them. So, a couple weeks ago I found a lot of about 150 cards on fleabay and went after them pretty hard and won the auction. In the photos they looked just like the ones I used to own and, upon receiving them, I'm happy to say they are "pack fresh" amazing examples. Even the centering on them is way above average. I just wonder about the curve in them. Are they from vending? Not one had a gum or wax stain.

I'm super happy I scored this lot. Anybody else run into this, especially 1963?

Scott

Last edited by spaidly; 11-05-2016 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 11-05-2016, 02:07 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

This is a great question...I noticed the same thing. 63s seem to be the only year that it is that pronounced of a almost natural "bend". Was there different stock used for that year??

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 11-05-2016, 03:33 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default 63 t

Yes, I also saw a collection of 63T cards from a relative ..that hadn't been touched in many yrs..and all had that curl to them ??
Old 11-05-2016, 03:37 PM
John Gregory

Way back in the day, I used to buy a complete series from some company that advertised in the back of Boys Life magazine (or at least I believe is was this magazine). I remember receiving a series from 1963, 1967, and 1968. All purchased at different times. All arrived bowed and pack fresh or better.

-John
Old 11-05-2016, 04:33 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Is it possible this is due to the general level of humidity (or lack thereof) in the air? We talked about it regarding the cracking and bending of Kellogg's 3-D cards and I'm thinking this may be the culprit here as well. In New York, my Kellogg's cards would eventually curl up like crazy over time, but out here in the ridiculous desert-like Northern California area, the cards I have remain as flat as boards. The problem could be a function of what part of the country the 63's have been kept in all of these years.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:15 PM
Sc0tt Sp@id

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Is it possible this is due to the general level of humidity (or lack thereof) in the air? We talked about it regarding the cracking and bending of Kellogg's 3-D cards and I'm thinking this may be the culprit here as well. In New York, my Kellogg's cards would eventually curl up like crazy over time, but out here in the ridiculous desert-like Northern California area, the cards I have remain as flat as boards. The problem could be a function of what part of the country the 63's have been kept in all of these years.
My childhood 63s home was Southern CA. When I buy lots for set building, I put them in penny sleeves and then Card Saver IIs. Once I get within about 100 cards I stick them in a binder. I almost hate to do that to these beauties.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:18 PM
Sc0tt Sp@id

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman View Post
Way back in the day, I used to buy a complete series from some company that advertised in the back of Boys Life magazine (or at least I believe is was this magazine). I remember receiving a series from 1963, 1967, and 1968. All purchased at different times. All arrived bowed and pack fresh or better.

-John
The lot I purchased recently spans several series. The humidity theory sounds good but would affect other years and I've not seen this with any other issue yet. But, if I do, I will probably buy them.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:22 PM
Sc0tt Sp@id

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harliduck View Post
This is a great question...I noticed the same thing. 63s seem to be the only year that it is that pronounced of a almost natural "bend". Was there different stock used for that year??
The stock does seem a lot more different to me than the previous several years. Before 63 they all have that shopping bag brown cardboard feel to me. Kinda rough and thick. The 63 stock seems more bleached out and "slick" if that makes sense.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:14 AM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default 63t

The big box of 63 T I looked at was Cherry Hill NJ area
Old 11-06-2016, 07:12 AM
Larry More.y

In recent years, I have bought through ebay a number of vintage card lots from what remained of Renata Galasso's inventory. The cards have all been shipped out of the NY (Brooklyn) area where RG was once headquartered. With these more recent purchases, most all of the cards are "bowed" to some extent or another.

However, back in the early 80s, I purchased multiple bulk vintage lots from RG and I remember there being very little to no bowing to the cards at all. Obviously in the early 80s, RG was moving cards at a much quicker rate so cards did not sit in her inventory as long.

Could the 30+ years that my more recent purchases sat in storage have caused the bowing?...very possible.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:23 AM
Sc0tt Sp@id

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
In recent years, I have bought through ebay a number of vintage card lots from what remained of Renata Galasso's inventory. The cards have all been shipped out of the NY (Brooklyn) area where RG was once headquartered. With these more recent purchases, most all of the cards are "bowed" to some extent or another.

However, back in the early 80s, I purchased multiple bulk vintage lots from RG and I remember there being very little to no bowing to the cards at all. Obviously in the early 80s, RG was moving cards at a much quicker rate so cards did not sit in her inventory as long.

Could the 30+ years that my more recent purchases sat in storage have caused the bowing?...very possible.
Interesting. The 63s from my childhood would have been 13 years old at the time I acquired them (it was 1976). 13 years is enough time for the bowing to occur. For me, I associate high quality with the bowing as I've never seen mid-grade or lower with this phenomenon. My sample size is too small to make any conclusions though.

Here is a link to the original auction of my new bowed 63s. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1963...p2047675.l2557
Old 11-06-2016, 09:56 AM

Hi Guys,

Card Collectors Company in New York was one of the biggest dealers in the 1960s-1980s, and they had massive amounts of brand new Topps cards from the 60s & 70s. Somewhere in the late 70s - early 80s they had a fire in their warehouse and thousands upon thousands of cards were water damaged from the sprinklers. The cards show up on ebay generally in lots and they will look pristine except for the warping from the water.

I got a lot of about 100 1963s from a collector in MN that looked perfect in the scan, but when they arrived all the cards were bent and some had dark water stains on them. It is possible that the cards you have just won were from Card Collectors Co., but that does not, of course, explain the general tendency of 1963s to bend somewhat. I once saw a dealer's stock who had bought about 100,000 or so cards from Card Collectors Co. in the early 1980s, and the cards were all warped. He had some of them in huge stacks on a large table and they were all bent in unison. The boxes they had come in (and about the first 25 cards in each stack) all showed dirty water stains on them from the sprinkler water and smoke, but if you saw them from a distance they all looked perfectly mint.

Hope this helps,

Jeff
Old 11-06-2016, 10:21 AM
Sc0tt Sp@id

Seems the common thread is moisture/humidity. The cards from my childhood predate CCC but the ones I just acquired, who knows? I wonder if TPGs care about this when examining a card. Unless super extreme, I wouldn't think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Alcorn View Post
Hi Guys,

Card Collectors Company in New York was one of the biggest dealers in the 1960s-1980s, and they had massive amounts of brand new Topps cards from the 60s & 70s. Somewhere in the late 70s - early 80s they had a fire in their warehouse and thousands upon thousands of cards were water damaged from the sprinklers. The cards show up on ebay generally in lots and they will look pristine except for the warping from the water.

I got a lot of about 100 1963s from a collector in MN that looked perfect in the scan, but when they arrived all the cards were bent and some had dark water stains on them. It is possible that the cards you have just won were from Card Collectors Co., but that does not, of course, explain the general tendency of 1963s to bend somewhat. I once saw a dealer's stock who had bought about 100,000 or so cards from Card Collectors Co. in the early 1980s, and the cards were all warped. He had some of them in huge stacks on a large table and they were all bent in unison. The boxes they had come in (and about the first 25 cards in each stack) all showed dirty water stains on them from the sprinkler water and smoke, but if you saw them from a distance they all looked perfectly mint.

Hope this helps,

Jeff
Old 11-11-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
We talked about it regarding the cracking and bending of Kellogg's 3-D cards and I'm thinking this may be the culprit here as well. In New York, my Kellogg's cards would eventually curl up like crazy over time, but out here in the ridiculous desert-like Northern California area, the cards I have remain as flat as boards.
Most cards that use a different material on one side vs the other have this. For example, more recent Chrome cards for Bowman and Topps will do this. They are one side plastic and the other is cardboard. I am thinking that one side is contracting vs the other, and they end up in a bend. For cards without a plastic portion like Chrome or Kellogg's 3D, it could also be that the front uses a gloss that makes that side act the same way as the plastic counterpart.

You can also get a similar effect on some different types of cards by leaving them in the sun for too long.

I have seen water or moisture damaged cards turn out this way also.

I think that it could be a variety of reasons why a card may end up being that way.