NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-03-2020, 11:07 AM
Mike P.ap

Default Should I send to SGC? '48 Paige ~ Opinions appreciated!

Got this beauty slabbed and I'm very happy! I also LOVE SGC and would think this card would really "pop" in a SGC holder. I had heard in a PSA holder not to expect more than an 2 with tape residue. Any thoughts on what SGC would grade this as?

I understand it will cost me about $500 for 1 day review service on this card. I'd also ask them not to slab unless they thought it was 2 or better.

Thoughts???? I'm holding for now but would enjoy hearing your opinions.

Thanks! Mike

IMG_9108.jpg

Last edited by vthobby; 12-03-2020 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-03-2020, 11:15 AM
Bill Roberts

I vote yes. Right now you have only one TPG's opinion, PSA. Why not get SGC's? After you receive it back, you could send it to Beckett. After Beckett grades it, maybe send to the newcomer, CSG? Then you would have four opinions, and you could choose which one you agree with most and send it back to that company. You also would have the option to repeat the process a year or two down the road.
Old 12-03-2020, 11:15 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

No! Just leave it alone!
Old 12-03-2020, 11:16 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by broberts View Post
i vote yes. Right now you have only one tpg's opinion, psa. Why not get sgc's? After you receive it back, you could send it to beckett. After beckett grades it, maybe send to the newcomer, csg? Then you would have four opinions, and you could choose which one you agree with most and send it back to that company. You also would have the option to repeat the process a year or two down the road.
lol!!!
Old 12-03-2020, 11:16 AM
pete ullman

So why did you send it to PSA if you love SGC?
Old 12-03-2020, 11:22 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Theoretically I'd use SGC if you intend to keep, and leave it as PSA if you intend to sell. But that $500 fee.... ugh!

Since it's already been slabbed, I would use that cash towards something tangible... like another card.

edit: Yesterday you seemed thrilled to have it come back as a "1.5". Nothing but pure joy. And now you're waffling on it? My advice is to do what makes you happiest as a collector, rather than relying on another person's "opinion". The card is the card, regardless of the plastic.

Last edited by perezfan; 12-03-2020 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-03-2020, 11:26 AM
Mike P.ap

Default Cuz...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
So why did you send it to PSA if you love SGC?
Pete, because unfortunately I feel down the road (it all has to go someday), it probably has more exposure in a PSA holder. I said "I also love SGC". I like both companies when they get things right. You know what I mean there. You collect some of the same stuff I do. Great eye appeal cards.

I really wish SGC had a viable registry. I do notice that SGC is catching up in price to PSA but I feel it is coming slowly and it is unjustifiable. I mean I think SGC is just as valuable as PSA but that is my opinion.

SGC should get more respect thats all. I've been sending very nice cards to both companies since they started. I'm aware of the problems out there and try to say away from problem cards.

Sometimes you go with your "gut" and I've done well with some PSA grades lately and they have hit my time targets (I pay more for that lol).

It was just a "gut" call tbh.

Phew!

Thanks! Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 12-03-2020 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-03-2020, 11:29 AM
Mike P.ap

Default I did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Theoretically I'd use SGC if you intend to keep, and leave it as PSA if you intend to sell. But that $500 fee.... ugh!

Since it's already been slabbed, I would use that cash towards something tangible... like another card.

edit: Yesterday you seemed thrilled to have it come back as a "1.5". Nothing but pure joy. And now you're waffling on it? My advice is to do what makes you happiest as a collector, rather than relying on another person's "opinion". The card is the card, regardless of the plastic.
Thanks Mark, I did last night! Bought this!

s-l1600.jpg
Old 12-03-2020, 11:31 AM
Mike P.ap

Default lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRoberts View Post
I vote yes. Right now you have only one TPG's opinion, PSA. Why not get SGC's? After you receive it back, you could send it to Beckett. After Beckett grades it, maybe send to the newcomer, CSG? Then you would have four opinions, and you could choose which one you agree with most and send it back to that company. You also would have the option to repeat the process a year or two down the road.
I get your humor but you missed the intent of the question.

I'm happy with it, just wanted opinions. Thanks for yours!

Peace, Mike
Old 12-03-2020, 11:38 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

You might choose to get the 48 Paige restored. The tape removed. It might have best value in that state, even when labeled AUTH
Old 12-03-2020, 11:40 AM
Mike P.ap

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post

Mark,

Don't get me wrong. I am thrilled and most likely will keep it in the PSA holder. I always "buy the card and not the holder". This is a perfect card for that attitude. I am human and of course if I think it might be higher like a 2 or a 3 in an SGC I'd enjoy having that. Thats all. I'm dreaming most likely and was just asking for opinions nothing more. I love the card. I appreciate your thoughts on it, thank you! Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 12-03-2020 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-03-2020, 11:42 AM
Mike P.ap

Default No

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
You might choose to get the 48 Paige restored. The tape removed. It might have best value in that state, even when labeled AUTH
David,

I love the card. I will not do that! It shows the card was loved and I do appreciate the history of the game and certainly collecting cards. I appreciate the thought though!

Peace, Mike
Old 12-03-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgmsc View Post
Mark,

Don't get me wrong. I am thrilled and most likely will keep it "as is". I always "buy the card and not the holder". This is a perfect card for that attitude. I am human and of course if I think it might be higher like a 2 or a 3 in an SGC I'd enjoy having that. Thats all. I'm dreaming most likely and was just asking for opinions nothing more. I love the card. I appreciate your thoughts on it, thank you! Mike
Mike, this card is beautiful but I don't think it's coming back any higher in an SGC case. I have a gorgeous t206 Mathewson black cap, with almost invisible tape on the back. You have to squint to see it. No creasing, great centering and registration. It is a 1.5. I don't see it doing any better. Although it would look great with the tux, the $500 cost is not worth it IMO. I'd leave it be.
Schlei (Catching) Back run: 10/12 (minus blank back)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 12-03-2020, 11:43 AM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Geezus, after all that pomp and circumstance now you wanna send it to SGC? Why? What's the point? I like SGC and all, but why?
Old 12-03-2020, 11:47 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
Somebody eventually is going to do this (after Mike sells it). And it will get a NUMERICAL grade too!
Old 12-03-2020, 12:58 PM

I wouldn't do it. I think getting the 1.5 was lucky enough.
Old 12-03-2020, 01:06 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
This.
Old 12-03-2020, 01:41 PM
Ma.tt Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciobar1980 View Post
Geezus, after all that pomp and circumstance now you wanna send it to SGC? Why? What's the point? I like SGC and all, but why?
So there could be another thread guessing the SGC grade
Old 12-03-2020, 01:44 PM
T0NY @

Mike, I love the card just how it sits.

I’d keep it in its PSA slab!
Old 12-03-2020, 01:47 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-2-count View Post
Mike, I love the card just how it sits.

I’d keep it in its PSA slab!
I will Tony, thanks for the advice, its fun to dream! Your autos are on the way btw! Congrats on your win!

Thanks! Mike
Old 12-03-2020, 01:55 PM
Mike P.ap

Default lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfast View Post
So there could be another thread guessing the SGC grade
Not so fast "Notfast",

I'm keeping it in the nice PSA holder, I did laugh out loud at your comment though! It was funny!

Peace, Mike
Old 12-03-2020, 01:56 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I'm cool with it, just like to dream. I'm human!

I'm keeping it!

Thanks! Mike
Old 12-03-2020, 01:58 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo View Post
Mike, this card is beautiful but I don't think it's coming back any higher in an SGC case. I have a gorgeous t206 Mathewson black cap, with almost invisible tape on the back. You have to squint to see it. No creasing, great centering and registration. It is a 1.5. I don't see it doing any better. Although it would look great with the tux, the $500 cost is not worth it IMO. I'd leave it be.
Joshua,

I appreciate the example you mentioned and I respect your judgement like most on here! Thanks for the assist. Have a safe and happy holiday season!

Peace, Mike
Old 12-03-2020, 01:58 PM
Brian K

Default Perfect solution

I've got the perfect solve for you. Since you love SGC, I would be willing to trade my SGC for your PSA. As an added bonus, mine has all 4 borders removed so it look EXTRA GOOD against that black mat.....

I'd leave it where it is, its a great card (stain and all), it has character and I have border envy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Satch48.jpg (10.1 KB, 386 views)
Old 12-03-2020, 02:00 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Omg!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks87 View Post
I've got the perfect solve for you. Since you love SGC, I would be willing to trade my SGC for your PSA. As an added bonus, mine has all 4 borders removed so it look EXTRA GOOD against that black mat.....

I'd leave it where it is, its a great card (stain and all), it has character and I have border envy.
Brian,

Border envy? Love that! Your card does look really nice. I'll probably pass but the "border envy" line almost worked!

Peace, Mike

PS The colors and registration on yours is off the charts! Nice! You know the old SGC grades were so small you had to squint sometimes to see the grade. They must have found out I'm getting older and their grades literally jump off the slab! I do like their holders and their consistency!

Last edited by vthobby; 12-03-2020 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-03-2020, 02:07 PM
Peter Calderon

IMO -

With that large tape stain SGC will not grade it higher than a 1.5 but it might be visually nicer in the SGC holder.

If you're lucky you MIGHT get a 2.

It's a nice card. I would be happy with the fact you have a very nice "fair" condition card.
Old 12-03-2020, 02:20 PM
Brian K

Quote:
Brian,

Border envy? Love that! Your card does look really nice. I'll probably pass but the "border envy" line almost worked!

Peace, Mike

PS The colors and registration on yours is off the charts! Nice! You know the old SGC grades were so small you had to squint sometimes to see the grade. They must have found out I'm getting older and their grades literally jump off the slab! I do like their holders and their consistency!
It was worth a shot! Actually, I love the card, he has an extra growth on his ear as well, but it just adds to the charm. Ironically enough PSA wouldn't cross it over, claiming they couldn't ensure safe encapsulation of the card. It's kinda like not wanting to buy shoes for your dog with no legs because they might get dirty?!
Old 12-03-2020, 03:00 PM
Chuck Price

I would leave it in the PSA holder, it is what it is. Getting a half grade more from SGC is not going to value the card any higher.

Drum Daddy, "10 Drum's and counting"
Green Cobb’s, “7 and counting “
Red Cobb’s, “12 and counting”
Working on my Ruth, Cobb, Joe Jackson, Gehrig, Wagner, Mantle collection
Old 12-03-2020, 03:37 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks87 View Post
It was worth a shot! Actually, I love the card, he has an extra growth on his ear as well, but it just adds to the charm. Ironically enough PSA wouldn't cross it over, claiming they couldn't ensure safe encapsulation of the card. It's kinda like not wanting to buy shoes for your dog with no legs because they might get dirty?!
That's amazing that they would not cross that over?!?!?! You would think they would want that in their holder but that is one of my gripes is that like Beckett, I wish they would slide the card in a clear sealed penny sleeve. Each sleeve would fit different sized cards and the movement issue or damage issue would be resolved. Not sure if you like the penny sleeve idea that Beckett employs but I love it!

Thanks! Mike
Old 12-03-2020, 03:59 PM
Luke Lyon

If you're just looking at it in financial terms, you're basically just looking at a math problem. The question is, "How much of a $ value increase, do you need to get when SGC gives this card a grade of 2 or higher, in order to break even on all the times you spend $500 and they return the card in the PSA holder.

The equation looks like this:

Break even = (% of the time SGC does not grade the card a 2 or higher)(-$500) + (% of the time SGC grades card a 2 or higher)(x)

Where x equals the value increase needed in order to break even

You can play around with the % chance that SGC gives you a 2 or higher.

In my opinion, it's next to impossible that SGC would grade this card a 2 or higher. Not impossible, but close. So for me, I would say it's about a 2% chance. Here's the math for 2%:

0 = (.98)(-500) + (.02)(x)

0 = -490 + .02x

subtract -490 from each side:

490 = .02x

divide both sides by .02

x=24,500

So at a 2% chance of receiving a 2 or higher, you'd need the vlaue increase from your PSA 1.5 to the new SGC holder to $24,500 in order to break even on the bet you're making.

If you think there's a 5% chance, you need the value increase to be $9500

At a 10% chance, you need the value increase to be $4500

Also, it's not really $500. Probably closer to $600 after you pay postage and insurance twice.

In my opinion you should keep it as is, and it's not really close.
Old 12-03-2020, 04:23 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
If you're just looking at it in financial terms, you're basically just looking at a math problem. The question is, "How much of a $ value increase, do you need to get when SGC gives this card a grade of 2 or higher, in order to break even on all the times you spend $500 and they return the card in the PSA holder.

The equation looks like this:

Break even = (% of the time SGC does not grade the card a 2 or higher)(-$500) + (% of the time SGC grades card a 2 or higher)(x)

Where x equals the value increase needed in order to break even

You can play around with the % chance that SGC gives you a 2 or higher.

In my opinion, it's next to impossible that SGC would grade this card a 2 or higher. Not impossible, but close. So for me, I would say it's about a 2% chance. Here's the math for 2%:

0 = (.98)(-500) + (.02)(x)

0 = -490 + .02x

subtract -490 from each side:

490 = .02x

divide both sides by .02

x=24,500

So at a 2% chance of receiving a 2 or higher, you'd need the vlaue increase from your PSA 1.5 to the new SGC holder to $24,500 in order to break even on the bet you're making.

If you think there's a 5% chance, you need the value increase to be $9500

At a 10% chance, you need the value increase to be $4500

Also, it's not really $500. Probably closer to $600 after you pay postage and insurance twice.

In my opinion you should keep it as is, and it's not really close.
Damn Luke, that is appreciated! I'm convinced its staying in the PSA holder! Wow! Impressive! Thank you!

Mike
Old 12-03-2020, 10:36 PM
Kevin
Kev.in Th.omas

Default If I were you...

I would most definitely send this card in for consideration of adding the hobby demanded and highly coveted "PURPLE LABEL!"

http://www.gradingsportscards.com/

Your card would look absolutely fantastic in its current PSA holder with the addition of the Purple Label, reserved for only the most exquisite examples of undergraded eye poppers! You should do this as soon as possible. (Before the statute of limitations runs out on making a claim to any and all prizes awarded in that previous contest you ran!)

Just think, if this card actually ended up as a PSA 1.5 Purple Label...who could have possibly predicted such a thing?!

Last edited by Kaneen; 12-03-2020 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-03-2020, 11:22 PM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

Beautiful card Mike!

Sorry, got nothing smart alecky to say re grading. I personally love that another piece of important sporting memorabilia lies safer today between some visually clear sheets of pvc and can be shared joyfully among grubby hands of family and friends alike entrusted so.

Enjoy mate.
Old 12-04-2020, 02:06 AM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Arguably this is the finest 48 Leaf Paige that Net54 has discussed...
Old 12-04-2020, 05:20 AM
Mike P.ap

Default Prediction...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneen View Post
I would most definitely send this card in for consideration of adding the hobby demanded and highly coveted "PURPLE LABEL!"

http://www.gradingsportscards.com/

Your card would look absolutely fantastic in its current PSA holder with the addition of the Purple Label, reserved for only the most exquisite examples of undergraded eye poppers! You should do this as soon as possible. (Before the statute of limitations runs out on making a claim to any and all prizes awarded in that previous contest you ran!)

Just think, if this card actually ended up as a PSA 1.5 Purple Label...who could have possibly predicted such a thing?!
Well of course......you would have predicted it Kaneen!

Also, please don't confuse the possibilities. It is important to distinguish statutes of limitations from the closely related yet distinct common law doctrine of ‘laches.’ The doctrine of laches vests courts with discretionary authority to determine whether a plaintiff, while commencing a legal action within the time requirements set forth by the relevant statute of limitations, nonetheless has unreasonably delayed bringing a lawsuit to the detriment of a defendant. Both statutes of limitations and the doctrine of laches limit a plaintiff's access to court. These are good things to know........as you know!

Peace, Mike
Old 12-04-2020, 05:27 AM
Mike P.ap

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Hawk View Post
Beautiful card Mike!

Sorry, got nothing smart alecky to say re grading. I personally love that another piece of important sporting memorabilia lies safer today between some visually clear sheets of pvc and can be shared joyfully among grubby hands of family and friends alike entrusted so.

Enjoy mate.
Daniel,

Don't forget the prying claws and jaws of over aggressive pets!

Thanks! Mike

summer-dog-activities-2-e1560194383364.jpg
Old 12-04-2020, 09:46 AM
Matt

Keep it where it is. Great card.

Needing the "experts" at PSA and SGC to tell us what we have, exalting their arbitrary opinions, this is what created these shambolically run monoliths in the first place.

The market has thankfully matured to the point where collectors'/buyers' eyes price things to a great extent on eye appeal and use the technical grade as merely a guideline.

I hesitate to use the term "technical" grade as there is very little "technical" going on in the TPG grading rooms. It seems even something as rudimentary as a ruler, found in most grammar school students' desks, is too technical a tool for "professional" graders LOL.

Should SGC put a "2 sticker" above the card, it certainly won't change the card and likely wouldn't change how others perceive it, either— from both the aesthetic and financial perspectives.

Last edited by MattyC; 12-04-2020 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:52 AM
Thomas
Th0mas Ch.urch

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlietheexterminator View Post
I would leave it in the PSA holder, it is what it is. Getting a half grade more from SGC is not going to value the card any higher.
Agree with this. Leave it where it is. I think the 1.5 from PSA was a gift. Nice card!
Successful transactions: sycks22, charlietheextervminator, Scocs, Thromdog, trdcrdkid, mybuddyinc, troutbum97, Natedog, Kingcobb, usernamealreadytaken, t206fanatic, asoriano, rsdill2, hatchetman325, cobbcobb13, dbfirstman, Blunder19, Scott L. ,Eggoman, ncinin, vintagewhitesox, aloondilana, btcarfagno, ZiggerZagger, blametony, shammus, Kris19, brewing, rootsearcher60, Pat R , sportscardpete , Leon , OriolesHOF , Gobucsmagic74, Pilot172000, Chesbro41, scmavl,t206kid,3-2-count,GoldenAge50s
Old 12-04-2020, 10:46 AM
Mike P.ap

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Keep it where it is. Great card.

Needing the "experts" at PSA and SGC to tell us what we have, exalting their arbitrary opinions, this is what created these shambolically run monoliths in the first place.

The market has thankfully matured to the point where collectors'/buyers' eyes price things to a great extent on eye appeal and use the technical grade as merely a guideline.

I hesitate to use the term "technical" grade as there is very little "technical" going on in the TPG grading rooms. It seems even something as rudimentary as a ruler, found in most grammar school students' desks, is too technical a tool for "professional" graders LOL.

Should SGC put a "2 sticker" above the card, it certainly won't change the card and likely wouldn't change how others perceive it, either— from both the aesthetic and financial perspectives.
MattyC and others,

Thanks for your opinions and analysis. That was well said MattyC. Logical and well laid out. I'm keeping it!

Thanks! Mike
Old 12-06-2020, 06:18 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
MattyC and others,

Thanks for your opinions and analysis. That was well said MattyC. Logical and well laid out. I'm keeping it!

Thanks! Mike
Good decision Mike. It is clear to see what the situation with the card is. Don't really need another, possibly less educated, opinion.