NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-22-2023, 06:51 AM
Drew W@i$e

Default Happy Festivus! Airing of Grievances 2023 Edition

December 23 is Festivus! Time for the annual airing of grievances. What grinds your gears in the collecting hobby?

Here is the 2022 post: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=329338

For me, it’s people in the hobby who say one thing and do another (seen a lot of this in 2023). If you are going to say, follow through!

What’s yours?

Last edited by parkplace33; 12-22-2023 at 06:53 AM.
Old 12-22-2023, 07:17 AM
J@mes In.gram

I'm sick to death of anal-retentive, spoiled brat, silver spoon in the mouth graded cards and all the stupidity surrounding them.

I'm sick to death of card investors and investment brokers. Hope "the hobby" collapses.

I'm sick to death of the stupid prices of cards. Of course this ties in with the two points above.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 12-22-2023, 07:32 AM
Will.i.@m $t@dy

I'm immediately sick of eBay's AI description of cards and sellers who use that feature.

This 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth Sports Trading Card is a must-have for any baseball fan or collector. This card features the iconic athlete in his signature batting pose and has been graded for quality assurance. Whether you're a fan of Ruth's legendary career or simply looking to expand your collection, this card is sure to impress.

The card is from the 1933 season and was manufactured by Goudey, a trusted name in sports cards. It is a single trading card and comes in a PSA 4 holder. Don't miss out on the chance to own a piece of baseball history with this stunning Babe Ruth card.

If you want a card, you might not get a deal. If you want a deal, you might not get a card.
Old 12-22-2023, 07:39 AM
Mike Bodner

“x” has ruined the hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-22-2023, 07:51 AM
Robert J. Miller

There are so many that if I started now, I might not finish until the new year.....
Old 12-22-2023, 07:53 AM
Mike McGrail

Someone asks for a price on an item. The answer is provide. And they then vanish and nothing is heard from them again.

Come on man ... Make some noise to wrap up the communication that you started! "I'll take it" or "Thanks but I will pass on this" or "Would you accept X?"

Something!
Old 12-22-2023, 08:21 AM
Peter Spaeth

Rampant card doctoring and the indifference of most of the hobby to it.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-22-2023, 08:29 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Overpriced, overproduced, out the back door 1/1's that are endemic to a hobby (not even a hobby at this point) that will ultimately collapse on itself.

Fanatics taking over EVERYTHING. (This will only make things worse for the actual hobbiest.)

Case Breaks. Seriously WTF is that all about????

Not being able to buy a true wax box of cards anymore. What in the hell is a blister box, and why do they exist?

SP's, SSP's, SSSP's SSSSSSSSSSP's. And induced error cards (that is not an error card, just another damned hyped up variation).

Excuse me while I go outside and yell at some clouds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg old man clouds.jpeg (23.4 KB, 780 views)

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.

Last edited by butchie_t; 12-22-2023 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-22-2023, 08:42 AM

Seriously. There can't be that many people getting into terrible car crashes right after inquiring about a collectible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcgrail View Post
Someone asks for a price on an item. The answer is provide. And they then vanish and nothing is heard from them again.

Come on man ... Make some noise to wrap up the communication that you started! "I'll take it" or "Thanks but I will pass on this" or "Would you accept X?"

Something!
Old 12-22-2023, 08:57 AM
Matt

Quote:
Even worse...someone contacts you about a card and makes an 'offer'. You agree to the 'offer'. Then when it's time for the payment, the potential buyer asks for an even lower price after doing more 'research'.

Happened to me last week via messaging on Ebay. What a jack-off.
Old 12-22-2023, 08:57 AM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

Absolutely! Grading has almost ruined the hobby and priced many out of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
I'm sick to death of anal-retentive, spoiled brat, silver spoon in the mouth graded cards and all the stupidity surrounding them.

I'm sick to death of card investors and investment brokers. Hope "the hobby" collapses.

I'm sick to death of the stupid prices of cards. Of course this ties in with the two points above.
Old 12-22-2023, 09:12 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:

Something!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo Aullando View Post
Seriously. There can't be that many people getting into terrible car crashes right after inquiring about a collectible.
I agree but this goes the other way too...seller writes that they're considering offers, potential buyer writes with "would you accept X?" and never hears anything back.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 12-22-2023, 09:16 AM
Mike Bodner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
I agree but this goes the other way too...seller writes that they're considering offers, potential buyer writes with "would you accept X?" and never hears anything back.

Yes!! And why not list a price with the item?

Old 12-22-2023, 09:27 AM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post

Or after submitting a reasonable and fair offer on eBay, the seller raises the BIN and blocks you.

Old 12-22-2023, 09:40 AM
Eric

Non-vintage sellers selling vintage, pricing their inventory at 10x the value.
1926 Star Player Candy Chick Hafey
1880-1930s Detroit Tigers
Travis Jackson 1925 W461 Exhibits or 1923 V89 William Paterson
Old 12-22-2023, 09:54 AM
Fred

Hmmm.... when it comes to this "hobby", I don't think I want to get started.

I will say that I still enjoy looking at the stuff, but it's lost a little sparkle.
Old 12-22-2023, 11:07 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Sometimes all the whinging gets old.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 12-22-2023, 11:16 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

I am just glad I am still upright, sniffing the air and trying to enjoy what is left of the hobby.
Old 12-22-2023, 11:25 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Grievances: None

Small annoyances: Some

Joy: A whole lot. Finished my T220 Master dream set this year, got up to 23/24 uncut sheet panels from that set, and picked up more rarities or unique pre-war stuff than I had planned. Had a ton of fun with research and piecing together more of the ATC picture. Picked up a lot of vintage football I've had a blast with. Crossed a few of the last cards off my post-war Topps/Bowman wantlists. Christmas is fun.
Old 12-22-2023, 11:28 AM
Matthew Glidden

I lament the apparent end of vintage card scholarship inside grading companies. I've got some free time, if they need people willing to scour Newspapers.com and write cogent, 100% correct opinions!

Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest-running on-line collecting club. Find us at oldbaseball.com.
Old 12-22-2023, 11:42 AM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

And a card
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 81JSZ8Z+8vL._SL1500_.jpg (125.2 KB, 738 views)
Old 12-22-2023, 12:31 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Grievances: None

Small annoyances: Some

Joy: A whole lot. Finished my T220 Master dream set this year, got up to 23/24 uncut sheet panels from that set, and picked up more rarities or unique pre-war stuff than I had planned. Had a ton of fun with research and piecing together more of the ATC picture. Picked up a lot of vintage football I've had a blast with. Crossed a few of the last cards off my post-war Topps/Bowman wantlists. Christmas is fun.
100%. You shared many of those pick ups here and I enjoyed them all.
Old 12-22-2023, 12:56 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I have a massive Festivus screed scheduled to hit tomorrow morning on my Substack, so I don't want to spoil that, but I will throw this one in the ring here:

Obnoxious card bros braying like jackasses into their devices at shows as they stumble over and through other attendees while shooting their 'influencer' videos.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-22-2023 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-22-2023, 01:09 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardPadre View Post
I'm immediately sick of eBay's AI description of cards and sellers who use that feature.

This 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth Sports Trading Card is a must-have for any baseball fan or collector. This card features the iconic athlete in his signature batting pose and has been graded for quality assurance. Whether you're a fan of Ruth's legendary career or simply looking to expand your collection, this card is sure to impress.

The card is from the 1933 season and was manufactured by Goudey, a trusted name in sports cards. It is a single trading card and comes in a PSA 4 holder. Don't miss out on the chance to own a piece of baseball history with this stunning Babe Ruth card.

Hahaha, I like it. I think I'm going to start using it for my sports trading cards.
Old 12-22-2023, 02:21 PM
Eric
E.ric Bau.mh0er

Some huge eBay dealer that randomly list half of their listings as “ undergraded “
Without even looking at the cards
Old 12-22-2023, 02:55 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

For the love of everything holy, stop F*CKING constantly using the dumbass word "ICONIC"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (There aren't enough exclamation points in the universe to use at the end of that sentence!!!!!!)

Open a goddamn thesaurus!!!!!!!!!!

Other than that, Happy Festivus.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 12-22-2023, 03:20 PM
Gary

People who put tinsel on their Festivus pole. Just stop.. No tinsel poles please.
Old 12-22-2023, 04:24 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
For the love of everything holy, stop F*CKING constantly using the dumbass word "ICONIC"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (There aren't enough exclamation points in the universe to use at the end of that sentence!!!!!!)

Open a goddamn thesaurus!!!!!!!!!!

Other than that, Happy Festivus.
Iconic comment, bro
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 12-22-2023, 04:45 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Look at what a simple search for the awful 'i' word returns. Twenty frickin' pages worth of individual examples, and I'm pretty certain the 20 pages is the default cut-off for searches. There have got to be THOUSANDS of pages worth:

dreadediwordsearch.jpg

If there is ever a newer testament to The Bible, this will undoubtedly be cited as a plague!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 12-22-2023, 05:21 PM
Brian R

"I have the following cards for sell"
Old 12-22-2023, 06:03 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
"I have the following cards for sell"
"I'll take it" followed by having to chase people for payment.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-22-2023, 08:19 PM
Jim Reynolds

These are sure to start a riot…

I hate comps and price guides. I decide what a card is worth to me. You decide what a card is worth to you. If we can meet somewhere on a price along the way, great! If not, that’s ok.

Tobacco backs are overrated. I collect baseball cards of baseball players, not tobacco ads. I could not care less what ad is on the back and I don’t need 12 of the same player’s card because the factory number or tobacco company is different. That’s just silly.
Old 12-22-2023, 08:57 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
Tobacco backs are overrated. I collect baseball cards of baseball players, not tobacco ads. I could not care less what ad is on the back and I don’t need 12 of the same player’s card because the factory number or tobacco company is different. That’s just silly.
Blasphemy, I say!
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 12-22-2023, 09:02 PM
Geno W@gn&r

Default My gripe

"I have $XXX into it, so have to sell for at least that..."

Your previous bad decisions or market corrections have no bearing on what it's worth today...sorry.
Old 12-22-2023, 11:38 PM

This card. I am very sick of this 1920 Zeenut of Nick Dumovich, and everyone else should feel the same way about it.

So sick that I think I am falling in love with this goofy little bashful guy all over again. I guess that makes me sick in love.

Brian (and in addition to my Dumovich rant, I am sick about how so many only see cards through dollar sign glasses)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg goofyz1920dumovich (1024x892) (3).jpg (87.6 KB, 577 views)
Old 12-23-2023, 01:11 AM

One grievance that I think many of us have in common is this: You bought a few packs of cards for a dime when you were 10 years old, because you liked cards and thought they were cool but never dreamed they could be considered an investment or work of art. You kept that card in a cigar box with other cards you bought (for who knows how much money!!) at a flea market, to keep them in good shape. Flash forward 50 years and a few cards in that stash are worth $5,000 each, so you want to sell them. But then you realize that you're going to have to pay taxes on cards you probably used your hard-earned money (as a little kid) to pay sales tax on in the first place! Unfortunately, that now-grown kid hasn't got a chance in the "feats of strength!!"
Old 12-23-2023, 04:46 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:

Something!
I believe the asker was looking for a steal and when none was provided, they quickly scurried off.
Old 12-23-2023, 05:21 AM
Tony Baldwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
I'm sick to death of the stupid prices of cards.
+1
Old 12-23-2023, 11:29 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Originally Posted by jingram058 "I'm sick to death of the stupid prices of cards."

I'm sick to death of the prices of stupid cards.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-24-2023, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Originally Posted by jingram058 "I'm sick to death of the stupid prices of cards."

I'm sick to death of the prices of stupid cards.
I'm death to sick prices of cards of the stupid.

Brian
Old 12-24-2023, 09:33 AM
Peter Spaeth

One mention (mine) of card doctoring and none of shill bidding. Did the hobby get cleaned up and I missed it?

Old 12-24-2023, 10:31 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
One mention (mine) of card doctoring and none of shill bidding. Did the hobby get cleaned up and I missed it?
Either we all have bigger complaints, or what you’ve always suspected is true.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_8184.jpeg (22.7 KB, 409 views)

1963 Post complete panel
Old 12-24-2023, 11:04 AM

Default Forbidden topics

Quote:
Those topics make people question "Why?" they collect, seem to be worse or more visible than ever, and create rabbit holes of how you combat them (there is no easy way)...
Old 12-24-2023, 11:14 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
I guess. Shill bidding once was the hottest topic in the hobby. And to me, revulsion to undisclosed card doctoring is something deeply engrained from day one.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-24-2023 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-24-2023, 12:52 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

For me, it's the price of unopened current product. Hobby boxes that used to be $80-100 with 24+ does are now $300 with 8 packs. With less value in the packs.
Old 12-24-2023, 01:06 PM
Ben North

Quote:
I guess. Shill bidding once was the hottest topic in the hobby. And to me, revulsion to undisclosed card doctoring is something deeply engrained from day one.
I think a lot of it has to do with most are just tired of listening/reading all the complaining. Then the big unpopular truth we see ALL the time. The huge eBay seller(s) that shills almost every one of their listings is a friend. So he is considered honest. Then change out shill bidder with card doctor and it is exactly the same. It is a close hobby friend so they are honest as the day is long. I have never understood this but I see it all the time.
Old 12-24-2023, 01:33 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
LOL (Room full of people who care)
Yeap, the doctoring is all cleaned up. Put a bandage on it, take 2 aspirin, and see me in 3 weeks.

Last edited by Leon; 12-24-2023 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-24-2023, 02:09 PM
Eric Perry

“Make me an offer.”

Okay, I offer to consider buying your card if you put a price on it.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 12-24-2023, 02:09 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
I certainly don’t want to condone it, but I think it’s just to a point that it seems a hopeless business.

It seems like it’s everywhere. The ability to police it is limited to nonexistent. And for poor slobs like us, if our only recourse is to post about it here, it doesn’t seem to accomplish much.

I suppose the other approach is to stick to beaters with big borders, because the odds are better that they haven’t been doctored. While that’s an attractive option, it doesn’t seem to move the needle with the rest of our world.

1963 Post complete panel
Old 12-24-2023, 03:00 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

My complaint is that the major auction houses don’t have enough auctions. I recall at least five or six days last year when I awoke to find I had nothing to bid on. Damn inconsiderate of those folks. Hopefully, they can correct that in 2024.