NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-10-2012, 12:00 PM
JD

Default Heritage Auction problem

I have never run into any problems in the past with purchases from Heritage, but recently I had to call to inquire where the item I won and paid for about a month ago was. I was told they are moving their storage around and it was over looked and would be send out ASAP. Yesterday about a week after the original call I received an email cancelling the transaction and refunding my money. The item I won was a vintage Scranton Miners GU home flannel that I had been trying to find for a while. Needless to say I am very upset about how this was handled on their end. Perhaps I am being to cynical but I think since the item didn't even come close to their estimate it was "lost" on purpose. All I know is that they have now lost a fairly frequent bidder in their sports auctions, at least they could have had someone call and explain the situation about the refund....very poor customer service in my book.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:54 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

That sucks.

Their customer service was complete crap this time. I paid for my item by CC right after the auction closed. They recalculated the [already ridiculous] shipping and had a $2.27 shortage but didn't send me anything telling me to pay more. After a few weeks I went back to their site to find out why my stuff hadn't arrived and found my account was short, paid the balance, and it still took them a while to ship it.

The shipping itself was crap. In order to save a few bucks on packing they jammed the holders from one lot into a larger lot's holder, breaking it, so when I got the items I had to replace the holder for the larger item.

I was very unhappy overall and unless the item is really something I gotta have I will not be bothering with them again.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-10-2012, 02:32 PM
Banned

I consigned an autograph to their auction. it sold for 1400, a couple weeks past, nothing, i had to contact them and they said the buyer didnt pay, and that it was less than 1% of the time that happens.

I would like to know this "bidders" name.

They asked if i wanted to consign it again, after 3 months from when i first sent it in to being told that this auction transaction was cancelled due to non paying bidder, it was three months of wasting my time,

I told them no, please send the autograp back, i never consigned with them again.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:49 PM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

same thing happened to me. An item I consigned sold for a very high price. Heritage sent me an email that the buyer will not pay for it.

I'm thinking it happens more than 1 percent of the time. I asked if they were going to pressure the buyer to complete the deal but I was told that was not an option.

I too was asked if I want to put the item in the next auction and I told them no. I figured they must have lawyers on retainer or who work for them and I am surprised they did not make more of an effort to complete this transaction.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:07 PM
Banned

i think the same thing happened to both of us. a bid didnt get topped so someone who bid - won the item and wouldnt pay. very strange - it always made me wonder.

Last edited by travrosty; 06-10-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:38 PM
WillRow.ett III

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
i think the same thing happened to both of us. a bid didnt get topped so someone who bid - won the item and wouldnt pay. very strange - it always made me wonder.
The only logical explanation, the elephant in the room, is that they shilled these two items. If they're not going to release the name of the "winning" bidder or use legal means to force the "winning" bidder to honor his contractual bid, then they leave people with no options other than to consider that they're up to no good.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:47 PM
Dan Brown

Heritage is our Platinum sponsor.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:16 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default they are

Quote:
Originally Posted by deebro041 View Post
I am sorry to hear of the issues as I know a lot of the Heritage guys and they are all good guys. They are our Platinum sponsor for the Net54baseball Dinner at the National too. They are also an advertiser on the board. I have never had any issues with them and have bid and won in a lot of their auctions. If they said a bidder didn't pay then a bidder didn't pay. I would be very surprised of anything else. best regards
Old 06-11-2012, 03:59 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Just for the record, I never wrote or wanted to insinuate that heritage was shill bidding or doing anything morally wrong. I posted my story because I too, was told non paying bidders make up 1% of their auction.

Although I wish they tried harder to get the winning bidder (who I was told had consigned to them in the past) to pay, I do not know how much effort they put into the collection.

I hope that clarifies my stance on this issue.

Last edited by sports-rings; 06-11-2012 at 03:59 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:41 AM
WillRow.ett III

Quote:
Originally Posted by deebro041 View Post
Leon, does this mean I should delete my post and/or apologize?
Old 06-11-2012, 07:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinte1941 View Post
Leon, does this mean I should delete my post and/or apologize?

Why? You didn't break any rule. I think Heritage does a great job but if others have different opinions then they can express them. No one or business, advertiser or no advertiser, is off limits on this board. You have your name by your post. That is all that counts as far as being able to say almost anything you want to, per the rules.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:06 AM
WillRow.ett III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Why? You didn't break any rule. I think Heritage does a great job but if others have different opinions then they can express them. No one or business, advertiser or no advertiser, is off limits on this board. You have your name by your post. That is all that counts as far as being able to say almost anything you want to, per the rules.
OK, thanks.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:28 AM
Banned

the fact they wouldnt pressure the "winning" bidder to pay or to release their name only makes me wonder more.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:54 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Heritage is an advertiser but I will give an opinion anyway. Even though Chris (Ivy) and I don't always agree on everything I don't know anyone in the hobby more honest than he is. I would be absolutely shocked if his division of the company is doing anything wrong (on purpose). Do they make mistakes, no doubt. But as far as doing anything that is illegal, or even close to illegal, I think there is no way in hell that is happening. Heritage wouldn't have been in business so long and be so successful if they did things that weren't on the up and up. Sure, anyone can say anything they want to....and completely disagree with me, no issue there, but those are my thoughts. I do politely disagree with some of their rules on bidding but it's their business and they are doing nothing against the law by the way they run their auctions.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:24 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Quote:
the fact they wouldnt pressure the "winning" bidder to pay or to release their name only makes me wonder more.
Again, I am not sure how much of an effort they applied in pressuring the wining bidder to complete the transaction on my canceled sale. It may have been a monumental effort or it could have been very little.

I tried to get as much information as I could but Heritage did not reveal too much. I did ask and was told that the winning bidder had purchased items in the past and also consigned with them, but will no longer be allowed to bid in any future heritage auctions.

Sadly, I feel when I put this unique item up for bid next time, people will wonder if something was wrong with the item since it had been in the heritage auction in May. I wonder if it will do worse since it will be auctioned off a 2nd time.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:37 AM
Banned

I needed the money bad and after three months, left holding the bag, and they got the stones to ask me to consign it with them again? yeah, i want to dink around another 3 months with them.

they listed their autographs as jsa auction LOA when they weren't. thats lying. When you say something that isn't so it's a lie.

when i told chris ivy that is not cool, he told me to mind my own business. then 6 months later when it got some traction and he couldnt contain it any further, he acts like this is the first time he heard of such claims, and then says he is happy to help out the customer by fixing the problem. unbelievable. And the people who bring these items to light get their accounts banned. yeah, they are a super auction house.

He also said the only times they put up the premature auction loa by jsa was on preview items where no live bidding was taking place. This was also a lie. myself and others showed instances of weekly internet auctions that had the premature jsa auction loa tag on them and the items were up for live internet bidding. When he says something like that - that isn't true, it's called a lie. That's not being honest, it's the definition of dishonesty.

Only when they got caught on a high-visibility scale, did they do anything about it and the people who pressured them to change got the brunt of their wrath by getting their bidding accounts cancelled, at least 5 people. They helped the customer and we helped them help the customer and if it wasn't for us they would still be doing it but we are the bad guys who deserve our accounts cancelled? Jeez!

So when you say you know Ivy to be honest as the day is long, that's fine for you, I am here to say I know a different Chris Ivy.

That's them in a nutshell and I don't care if they are a platinum sponsor or a plutonium sponsor. I am glad everyone can voice their opinion.

Last edited by travrosty; 06-11-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:49 PM
WillRow.ett III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Even though Chris (Ivy) and I don't always agree on everything I don't know anyone in the hobby more honest than he is.
I'll disagree and take Jim Stinson, David Hunt, Henry Yee, and Richard Simon for $500 Alex...

Last edited by Splinte1941; 06-11-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:13 PM

Default Travis vs Heritage

I'm confused. Didn't Travis get barred by Heritage several months ago? And if so, I've never heard of an auction house accepting consignments from someone that they had barred?

And even a bit stranger in my opinion. A few months ago, Travis continued to bash Heritage here on net 54. He bashed them pretty darn good too. My question is:

Travis. Why would you consign an autograph with Heritage when you were convinced that, as a Company and Chris Ivy himself, were liars. And not just regular liars but really big, BIG liars. Just what made you choose Heritage? Especially during the Spring Auction Season when there were SEVERAL Major Auction Houses that all had auctions withing weeks, some before, and some after, the date that Heritage chose for their auction. How do you explain that choice Travis? What compelled you to get on board with Heritage? It makes me wonder...

I personally don't know a single person (and I know a lot of people) that would trust an expensive item with someone whom they DO NOT TRUST and were convinced was a LIAR! It's just unheard of.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:25 PM
JD

After a phone call today with Heritage I am even more frustrated than I was to begin with. I was originally told the item would ship, it didn't. After calling again today I was told that the auction was voided because the item I won was misrepresented in the description. That is true but I wanted it regardless I knew exactly what I was purchasing after stating that and asking more questions was told it was lost. Now I was given two stories have no item, and was left extremely frustrated. The called ended with them saying if the item was located by them after they misplaced it I would be offered it at the sale price, all I can say is when stories contradict each other I should probably walk the other way.

Josh Drasher
jbd99@verizon.net

Last edited by thxforthebp; 06-11-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:36 PM
WillRow.ett III

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxforthebp View Post
After a phone call today with Heritage I am even more frustrated than I was to begin with. I was originally told the item would ship, it didn't. After calling again today I was told that the auction was voided because the item I won was misrepresented in the description. That is true but I wanted it regardless I knew exactly what I was purchasing after stating that and asking more questions was told it was lost. Now I was given two stories have no item, and was left extremely frustrated. The called ended with them saying if the item was located by them after they misplaced it I would be offered it at the sale price, all I can say is when stories contradict each other I should probably walk the other way.
Hmmm. I think I can begin to see a little fire through all of this thick smoke.

The item was lost? This is a bad comedy routine. At best.

Last edited by Splinte1941; 06-11-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:09 PM
Hank Thomas

Just my .2 worth: In a handful of recent experiences with Heritage, buying and selling, too many ****ups to go into here. I like Chris Ivy, very pleasant and personable. The company--I'll never use them again.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
I needed the money bad and after three months, left holding the bag, and they got the stones to ask me to consign it with them again? yeah, i want to dink around another 3 months with them.

they listed their autographs as jsa auction LOA when they weren't. thats lying. When you say something that isn't so it's a lie.

when i told chris ivy that is not cool, he told me to mind my own business. then 6 months later when it got some traction and he couldnt contain it any further, he acts like this is the first time he heard of such claims, and then says he is happy to help out the customer by fixing the problem. unbelievable. And the people who bring these items to light get their accounts banned. yeah, they are a super auction house.

He also said the only times they put up the premature auction loa by jsa was on preview items where no live bidding was taking place. This was also a lie. myself and others showed instances of weekly internet auctions that had the premature jsa auction loa tag on them and the items were up for live internet bidding. When he says something like that - that isn't true, it's called a lie. That's not being honest, it's the definition of dishonesty.

Only when they got caught on a high-visibility scale, did they do anything about it and the people who pressured them to change got the brunt of their wrath by getting their bidding accounts cancelled, at least 5 people. They helped the customer and we helped them help the customer and if it wasn't for us they would still be doing it but we are the bad guys who deserve our accounts cancelled? Jeez!

So when you say you know Ivy to be honest as the day is long, that's fine for you, I am here to say I know a different Chris Ivy.

That's them in a nutshell and I don't care if they are a platinum sponsor or a plutonium sponsor. I am glad everyone can voice their opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
I'm confused. Didn't Travis get barred by Heritage several months ago? And if so, I've never heard of an auction house accepting consignments from someone that they had barred?

And even a bit stranger in my opinion. A few months ago, Travis continued to bash Heritage here on net 54. He bashed them pretty darn good too. My question is:

Travis. Why would you consign an autograph with Heritage when you were convinced that, as a Company and Chris Ivy himself, were liars. And not just regular liars but really big, BIG liars. Just what made you choose Heritage? Especially during the Spring Auction Season when there were SEVERAL Major Auction Houses that all had auctions withing weeks, some before, and some after, the date that Heritage chose for their auction. How do you explain that choice Travis? What compelled you to get on board with Heritage? It makes me wonder...

I personally don't know a single person (and I know a lot of people) that would trust an expensive item with someone whom they DO NOT TRUST and were convinced was a LIAR! It's just unheard of.
Sorry. I forgot to add my name. Jimmy Catanzaro
Old 06-11-2012, 09:27 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
I'll disagree and take Jim Stinson, David Hunt, Henry Yee, and Richard Simon for $500 Alex...
Your list above names one of the most dishonest people I've ever dealt with in the hobby. I guess it's all just a matter of personal experiences - also, my experiences with Chris Ivy have been fantastic.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:57 AM
WillRow.ett III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Your list above names one of the most dishonest people I've ever dealt with in the hobby. I guess it's all just a matter of personal experiences - also, my experiences with Chris Ivy have been fantastic.
Would you care to share your experience with the person in question?
Old 06-12-2012, 09:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Sorry. I forgot to add my name. Jimmy Catanzaro

The reason is that it is the first and only time i had ever consigned anything with them, and i didnt know heritage that well, I had emailed ivy and heritage before and they were cordial enough, they were just a big auction house and I thought i could get some exposure for my item.

All of the lying and the premature auction loa stuff came after this. I was shocked to see them do it this way. Blame the messenger for a mess they created themselves.

And I got banned for telling the truth to the hobby because of it, but the cancellation of my account was after I had consigned and had the auction listing cancelled after the fact due to a non paying bidder.

I actually found out the transaction on this listing was cancelled by checking the listing after the auction ended and seeing a auction listing cancellation on the listing first before i even got an email or a call from them that something had happened. I had to contact them to ask why the auction was reversed. Now that's nice. Did they plan on telling me at all? Why the internet listing on this auction item was updated before they called or emailed me telling me of the outcome I will never know.

Of course i wouldn't ever consign with them again. I am not allowed to, but as they say, you can't fire me, I quit. There is more than one auction house out there.

Now you know.

Last edited by travrosty; 06-12-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:33 AM
Richard Simon

Travis and I have both been banned by Heritage.
My ban took place after I posted something about them on a prior thread.
All you guys going negative here (though most of you seem to not want to deal with them anyway) run the banning risk now.
They are VERY THIN SKINNED.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 06-12-2012, 09:42 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=thxforthebp;1002666]After a phone call today with Heritage I am even more frustrated than I was to begin with. I was originally told the item would ship, it didn't. After calling again today I was told that the auction was voided because the item I won was misrepresented in the description. That is true but I wanted it regardless I knew exactly what I was purchasing after stating that and asking more questions was told it was lost. Now I was given two stories have no item, and was left extremely frustrated. The called ended with them saying if the item was located by them after they misplaced it I would be offered it at the sale price, all I can say is when stories contradict each other I should probably walk the other way.

sorry to hear that. did the customer service person have a name? was it n.p. gresham?
Old 06-12-2012, 09:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Travis and I have both been banned by Heritage.
My ban took place after I posted something about them on a prior thread.
All you guys going negative here (though most of you seem to not want to deal with them anyway) run the banning risk now.
They are VERY THIN SKINNED.
That is exactly right, i have nothing to lose, but i think other people might have less than stellar stories to tell to forewarn people but they fear for their account and run the risk of getting banned too, so that fear is enough to make sure people keep quiet, and heritage wanted to fire a shot over the bow to make examples of people to give others a message that you criticize or critique them at your own peril.

They are very thin skinned indeed. They didn't seem to want to work with the hobby. They wanted to give off a air of superiority, like the collector with a concern is nothing, they are a big auction house, now go away.

I had the exact opposite experience with Lelands, Josh Evans returned my emails and listened to my concerns, checked into it, and pulled an autographed item from the auction even though it was slabbed in a PSA holder, because he was responsive to concerns and did something I think Ivy has a hard time doing. He listened. He did not tell me to go play in traffic.

Last edited by travrosty; 06-12-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:04 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:

Scott - you have cast doubt about four people now and I would think that you should clear up that statement of yours.
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 06-12-2012, 10:45 AM
WillRow.ett III

Quote:
Scott - you have cast doubt about four people now and I would think that you should clear up that statement of yours.
+1

Last edited by Splinte1941; 06-12-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:13 AM
Dan Bretta

Items missing from a Heritage auction?? The first place I'd check is Mike Gutierrez's basement.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:21 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Would you care to share your experience with the person in question?
Jake, I probably should not have responded to your post, but it offended me as you contrasted an honest person (Chris) with someone who at least at one point in time was blatantly dishonest. I'm told by a board member who I have the greatest respect for that this person has turned over a new leaf. That's great, but he used up all three strikes with me.

Again, if Chris' name had not been mentioned disparagingly, I would not have responded. Rest easy realizing that my opinion isn't worth a hill of beans to any of the new guys here, and the old ones know exactly who and what I'm talking about.

Richard - I have no reason to doubt your honesty. And given how much animosity you still feel for Heritage, I'm sure you can understand that I also still haven't forgotten some of my bad experiences with sellers.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:46 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Items missing from a Heritage auction?? The first place I'd check is Mike Gutierrez's basement.
Whoooo,,, that is .
--
Old 06-12-2012, 01:47 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Jake, I probably should not have responded to your post, but it offended me as you contrasted an honest person (Chris) with someone who at least at one point in time was blatantly dishonest. I'm told by a board member who I have the greatest respect for that this person has turned over a new leaf. That's great, but he used up all three strikes with me.

Again, if Chris' name had not been mentioned disparagingly, I would not have responded. Rest easy realizing that my opinion isn't worth a hill of beans to any of the new guys here, and the old ones know exactly who and what I'm talking about.

Richard - I have no reason to doubt your honesty. And given how much animosity you still feel for Heritage, I'm sure you can understand that I also still haven't forgotten some of my bad experiences with sellers.
Scott, thank you for clarifying that on the board. Some of the new guys might have needed clarification.
--
Old 06-12-2012, 02:13 PM
WillRow.ett III

Quote:
Scott, thank you for clarifying that on the board. Some of the new guys might have needed clarification.
The frustrating part for us "new" guys is that he's basically saying he wouldn't do business with Jim Stinson, David Hunt, or Henry Yee. As someone who has done and plans to do business with all three men in the future, I would be interested to know what happened. As Scott correctly pointed out, to each his own as far as our individual experiences with these three guys, but I don't necessarily buy the turned leaf argument either.

Last edited by Splinte1941; 06-12-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:24 PM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:
ha! and all you guys seeking revenge on heritage...best way is to show up at the n54 dinner and enjoy your dinner/drinks
Old 06-12-2012, 02:45 PM
Jonathan Scheier

Right off the bat, we’re going to start with an admission that we screwed up. Several of the accusations levied against Heritage are far off base, but we’ll acknowledge that we did make a mistake (or perhaps more than one) in regard to the initial poster’s situation. The lot had been listed in our previous Signature auction and when it did not sell, it was moved to our May auction. In the interim the consignor requested the return of the item and somehow we did not remove it from our books. The jersey was long gone by the time the May auction even began, but since the copy had been written and the photos taken, we didn’t realize it until the sale was complete. The later customer service issues were due to the fact that that department misinterpreted the data in our system—this is a 400+ employee company, and there was a breakdown in communication. I would suggest that should any situation like this arise again, the client would be best served by contacting the Sports department directly. Understand that we accept full fault on this and we make no excuses, only an explanation. I would hope that common sense would dictate that any belief that Heritage would risk its reputation, and the $800+ million in annual sales derived from it, on shady dealings over a piece worth hundreds of dollars, is in error.

And so we do apologize for our initial mistake, and for the imperfect handling of the resolution. But if our simple pledge of honest dealings isn’t enough, we would hope that a logical consideration of the risk/reward dynamic would be enough to convince even the most cynical among us.

We’d apply that statement to this troubling and utterly false suggestion of shill bidding as well. It simply does not happen at Heritage. It’s an unfortunate fact that a small percentage of bids are not honored. We do make every attempt to settle all accounts, but in the end it is simply impossible to extract payment from someone who is unwilling (or, in many cases, unable) to honor his bids. Heritage has, by far, the largest collectibles bidding clientele outside of eBay, and unfortunately there will be a few bad eggs in a carton that size. The upside is World Record prices—the bidder who paid $418,000 for the Bill Buckner ball, for example, had never bid in a collectibles auction before, but we were all over the news and he signed up the day before the auction. The downside with such a volume of clients is that a very small percentage of invoices in a 2,700 lot auction are inevitably not paid.

It should go without saying that all reneging bidders are banned. It likely doesn’t go without saying—so we’ll say it—that our consignment agreements clearly state that unsold properties can be transferred to the next available auction at our discretion. So, for example, Heritage was completely within its legal rights to retain Mr. Borkin’s unsold ring for placement in our August auction, but we instead returned it and forfeited several thousand dollars in commissions accordingly. This should stick a pin in any belief that shilling, or any other form of auction treachery, was at play.

And, speaking of banned clients, we’ll close with a clarification. Richard Simon and Travis Roste claim that their accounts were suspended by Heritage for negative comments posted on the board. While we’d admit there is an uncomfortable irony in simultaneously bashing and patronizing a business, that’s not the reason. Simon’s account, as well as several others’, was suspended for allegedly working in conjunction with a man known to the law enforcement world (and on this board and http://whitebetsy.wordpress.com/) as “The Cooperstown Forger.” Roste’s account was suspended after a campaign of harrassment of our executives in May of 2011.

To paraphrase the great Vince Lombardi, we won’t ever be perfect, but in the pursuit of perfection we’ll achieve greatness. We are human and mistakes will inevitably be made, but it’s important to bear in mind that boards such as these paint a very distorted picture. On any topic at all, as we all know, you’re far more likely to hear complaints than praise. Our most recent Signature Sports auction included over 400 consignors—ask around, and you’ll quickly learn that’s many multiples the hobby average. There’s a reason for this, and it’s the quality of our overall service. Heritage Sports sells close to 15,000 lots annually—that’s a huge volume of transactions, many multiples that of some of our top competitors. Babe Ruth struck out 1,330 times; Mariano Rivera has struck out once in his career. Who’s the better hitter?
Heritage Auctions (www.HA.com)
JonathanS@HA.com
1-800-872-6467 X1314

Consign to auction at http://sports.ha.com/consign

Connect with Heritage at http://sports.HA.com/Connect
Old 06-12-2012, 02:56 PM
WillRow.ett III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage Sports View Post
And, speaking of banned clients, we’ll close with a clarification...Simon’s account, as well as several others’, was suspended for allegedly working in conjunction with a man known to the law enforcement world (and on this board and http://whitebetsy.wordpress.com/) as “The Cooperstown Forger.”
That is quite an accusation.

Wow.

And my apologies as a newbie if I'm late to the party on this one.

Last edited by Splinte1941; 06-12-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:10 PM
Al

Default problem

Pass the pretzels this could be a long one!

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..
Old 06-12-2012, 03:31 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

...and BOOM goes the dynamite!!!
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:54 PM
Richard Simon

"And, speaking of banned clients, we’ll close with a clarification. Richard Simon and Travis Roste claim that their accounts were suspended by Heritage for negative comments posted on the board. While we’d admit there is an uncomfortable irony in simultaneously bashing and patronizing a business, that’s not the reason. Simon’s account, as well as several others’, was suspended for allegedly working in conjunction with a man known to the law enforcement world (and on this board and http://whitebetsy.wordpress.com/) as “The Cooperstown Forger.” Roste’s account was suspended after a campaign of harrassment of our executives in May of 2011."

Allegedly working in conjunction with The Cooperstown Forger??
I and several others?
What??
I have communicated on several occasions with the author of whitebetsy and he has commended the things I have done in the past to fight forgery. He went out of his way to introduce me to his site. We have had several lengthy e mail exchanges.
I am working in conjunction with a forger?
What the hell are you talking about Jonathan?
Accusing me of working in conjunction with a forger is a very serious accusation.
Perhaps you care to attempt to clarify that?
I was suspended by your organization shortly after I posted a comment(s) on this board in a thread that had already started. It did not seem there was any other reason. Hell of a coincidence if that was not the reason.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 06-12-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:06 PM

Richard. I would think that Jonathan is insinuating that he knows who the Cooperstown Forger is, and that you may not. But you have still worked with him in the past in some way shape or form. And I'm pretty damn sure I nailed it as well. Just don't want to reveal it for any possible legal ramifications.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:11 PM
Dan Bretta

Hilarious...Heritage auctions works EVERY DAY with the "Cooperstown Thief".
Old 06-12-2012, 04:35 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Richard. I would think that Jonathan is insinuating that he knows who the Cooperstown Forger is, and that you may not. But you have still worked with him in the past in some way shape or form. And I'm pretty damn sure I nailed it as well. Just don't want to reveal it for any possible legal ramifications.

In some way, shape or form?
What does that mean?
What work did I do with him?
You are making accusations here, can you back them up?
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 06-12-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:36 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Hilarious...Heritage auctions works EVERY DAY with the "Cooperstown Thief".
Dan, you are so funny .
--
Old 06-12-2012, 04:42 PM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Quote:
boards such as these paint a very distorted picture.
Jonathan,

I was very careful to not provide opinions, just to explain my recent experience of an item not selling. I even clarified when someone else mentioned shill bidding that I never accused Heritage of shill bidding and I also wrote that I have no idea what effort went into trying to get the winning bidder to complete the transaction.

Since I am not working with any forgers or bloggers and I have pledged additional items to be auctioned off in your upcoming auctions I hope I will not be banned from your auctions, both as a bidder and a consigner.

If I am going to be banned as a bidder or consigner, I would appreciate knowing as soon as possible so I can make other arrangements.

Thanks,
Old 06-12-2012, 04:46 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Dan, you are so funny .
How does someone work every damn day with someone who is banned from the Baseball Hall of Fame library and make such a statement? IMO Jonathan Scheier is the worst possible mouthpiece that Heritage can send over to Net54 to play defense...he's always condescending and the accusations he's just lobbed here broke my irony meter.

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 06-12-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:48 PM
JD

That was reason number 3 that my item disappeared.....oh well chalk that one up as the white whale in my collection.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
In some way, shape or form?
What does that mean?
What work did I do?
You are making accusations here, can you back them up?
Richard. I'm not making any accusations here! Jeez a child could see that I was trying to help you to get to the gist of what Jonathan wrote, as you seemed baffled by it.

And to answer your question: You have worked with him in some way shape or form = you have worked with him in some respects.

Alright now. Recess is for 20 minutes. THAT"S 20 MINUTES ONLY!
Old 06-12-2012, 04:56 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Richard. I'm not making any accusations here! Jeez a child could see that I was trying to help you to get to the gist of what Jonathan wrote, as you seemed baffled by it.

And to answer your question: You have worked with him in some way shape or form = you have worked with him in some respects.

Alright now. Recess is for 20 minutes. THAT"S 20 MINUTES ONLY!
If Heritage auctions is going to level accusations like that in a public forum they better make it clearer then. Leaving it out there like that is sleazy, and lowers my opinion of the messenger even lower than it already was.