NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-08-2011, 09:06 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default Larry Frisch Cards..what happened ??

Long Time collector....travels for work.....was in StevensPoint Wisc....store/home of the late dealer Larry Frisch...was very disapointed to find..no longer has "brick and motar " store....all internet now....but go to the site....awful..they list very few cards..when I called and asked about that..they said.."we have billions of cards..too many to put on a web site" ??? WHAT .... They told me " we have everything,whatevr you want ,we have it ! " ..but very confusing as to how you buy/look at the cards ??.. I get the impression they want to to buy cards..sight unseen ??
Also not thrilled with their pricing..they list 30s Goudey cards..with a square corner cut off..and asking 30-40 for no name commons..with a chunk missing, I think I'll stick to ebay.....
Old 07-08-2011, 10:34 PM
Joe M.

Pretty sure His son now runs the business. They do have tons of cards, not sure how many are pre WWII though. They are old school.

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 07-08-2011, 11:37 PM

Didn't know they ever had a brick and mortar store. Not saying they didn't, just didn't know they did.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:55 PM

Larry was one of the first real dealers as most everyone knows. I am sure from what I am reading once he passed his family tried to modernize the business and it will never be the same.
P.S. I remember buying my 1970-74 sets from him and then trying to put my own sets together from packs. (Putting a set together from packs was a lot more fun than having the whole set series by series)CN
Old 07-09-2011, 01:49 AM
Steven Finley

I still get their catalogs a couple of times a year. It's great to flip through as I enjoy that type of thing, but I've only made one purchase from them and that was years ago. I'm glad that the family decided to continue the business, and I think the niche that they cornered with reprint and oddball sets more covers their operating costs. IF they ever do decide to sell out it will be one heck of a fire sell.

Last edited by sbfinley; 07-09-2011 at 01:50 AM.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:05 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Those reprints caused many new collectors a lot of grief.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:39 PM
Den*nis O*Brien

Default Larry Fritsch's Retail Store and Reprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
Didn't know they ever had a brick and mortar store. Not saying they didn't, just didn't know they did.
Larry and his son Jeff had a very nice retail store close to the banks of the Wisconsin River in the 1980's until Larry's passing. They had quite a few glass display cases with pre-war to modern cards displayed. The walls were filled with pennants, shelves of balls and other memorabilia. They maintained an area of hobby periodicals and referance books. This was a place to lean on the counter and talk cards with a very interesting person. There was an adjacent warehouse bldg. that housed the bulk of the inventory. In order to peruse a specific pre-war issue, a phone call 3 days (or so) in advance, was necessary so they could dig out and bring the material over to the retail store. Since the store was 2 1/2 hours south of me I only visited twice a year. On one occasion I asked to look over his Plowboys and 1910 Obaks. Upon arrival Larry threw the stack of Plowboys across and down the showcase like he was dealing cards in poker. Each of the cards was without a top loader and had thier prices afixed with post it notes. The obaks were in penny sleeves and in a cardboard box. Larry did not differentiate between 150 subjects and 175 subjects. Every card was the same price no matter the estimated grade. Regarding the reprint line....one of the frequent counter leaners was the Wausau Wi. area FBI special agent. Larry told him that some guy on the east coast was altering and selling his reprint 1947 Tip Top Bread cards as vintage. Agent Berg took this seriously and initiated an investigation that resulted in an arrest and conviction. I realize this post is very long winded but, Fritsch Cards posts occur here, and the old board, with some regularity. Larry could have been considered eccentric but he was honest and certainly "Old School". The store was great. Dennis
Old 07-10-2011, 05:34 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default prices

I dont know who has higher prices on prewar low grade stuff - Frisch Cards or 707 Sportcards !
Old 07-10-2011, 07:11 PM
Shaun Fyffe

lol.. I'm not 100% familiar with Fritsch, but 707 has some ridiculously high prices.