NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-24-2004, 04:46 AM
Administrator

Default Joe Jackson Pinkerton in EX+

Posted By: Hal Lewis

With the chatter on the other thread about what an SGC 98 Joe Jackson 1914 Cracker Jack card is worth...

I am wondering what you guys and gals think a Joe Jackson Pinkerton in EX+ would sell for?

I have a friend who has a friend who has a friend who thinks he knows where one is and might be available, but I know nothing about these cards or there values.

Thoughts?

Are they rare? Popular?

Old 11-24-2004, 06:15 AM
Administrator

THIS is NOT the actual card that I am talking about... just a picture of what a T5 Pinkerton Joe Jackson looks like from the "Black Betsy" website.

Then again ... maybe THEY got this image from the person who owns the one I am hearing about??

Old 11-24-2004, 06:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

You of all people should know that items this rare are very hard to put a price tag on. It's all about where 2 people would take it to in an auction. With the other things I have seen sold I think it would be in the 5k-10k range, and most likely somewhere in the middle. Could it be less, maybe, could it be more, maybe...it's a great pose none the less......later

Old 11-24-2004, 06:58 AM
Administrator

Leon:

It is not his "rookie" card, so I wasn't kidding when I said that I know NOTHING about these cards or how rare they are or what size they are or even who else is in the set. Heck, I don't even know what year they were made!

I just know that people I know have been raving about the possibility of having one come on the market... so I figured that they must be something you folks would be interested in.

Old 11-24-2004, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Anyone else with ideas of price or value?

Old 11-24-2004, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred

$15K+, and you never know what will happen if a few people lock horns on it...

Old 11-24-2004, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

I would put it in Mastro and let it ride - like Dred says, the price could go higher if the right people lock up.

As rare as T5's are, they just don't seem to command the prices they "should". The Bender and Mack that keep showing up on ebay are good examples - I wouldn't think $1.2K would be out of line for either one, but no one's interested.

Old 11-24-2004, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

the 10 - 15k range is more like it and items as such... that show Jacskon in a true image, definetly brings more.

Old 11-24-2004, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

estimate in the $7500-$10K range. I've had 20-30 of them over the years but it's hard to gauge a Jackson against commons or HOFers. There was one in either Copeland or another of those auctions. Not sure what it sold for.

Old 11-24-2004, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bryan

is going to bring a high amount of cash. I happen to have a fried egg snadwich that when it's removed from the bread looks very close to joe jackson that I sold to a major auction house for 15K. I got the sandwich from my grandfather who happen to find it in an old chest in the attic a few years ago.

Old 11-24-2004, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Would that be Shell-less Joe Jackson?

Tom: Are you saying that you have had 20-30 T5's of OTHER players... or that you have actually seen that many JOE JACKSON T5's?

Old 11-24-2004, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Elkins

prices realized sheets. I still have the catalog that one was sold in from Mastro. In fact, I bid on the T5 Cobb stretching out - I think I was the under bidder on that one. Then, decided not to bid any more, b/c another lot caught my eye. Anyway, I know most of you would think my guess would be high. But, it is somewhere in the middle (b/c these are as popular as CJ's, and this one isn't Gem Mint). $7500-$12500 range I would think. If I was buying, I would try to get it under $10k to leave some room for future profit.

Old 11-24-2004, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ErikV

A T5 Pinkerton Joe Jackson card listed in VG-EX condition sold in a July 2000 Mastro auction for $6,412! (No, I was not the winner.)

Old 11-24-2004, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Thanks Eric and others!

Tom: I would still like to clarify your thoughts, as these may not be as scarce as I thought if you have seen 30 Jackson T5's.

Thanks!

Old 11-25-2004, 04:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John Spencer

Hal, not sure if it helps or not but I picked up a T5 Pinkerton of Wagner from (who else) Mastro about 5 years ago. I would say it is in ex condition and I paid about $6500 for it. Of course, part of the cachet of the card is that it is a tobacco issue. If I had to guess a Jackson in ex+ would be in the $8-9K range and probably in order of rarity only second to the T210 Old Mill.

Old 11-25-2004, 06:09 AM
Administrator

Thanks John!

I guess Tom is too busy driving the big brown truck around to answer me?

It sounds from everyone else's answers that Tom was saying that he had seen "20-30 different T5's of various players" ...

and NOT that he had seen 20-30 different T5's of Joe Jackson.

That makes me feel a little better about scarcity of the card.

Old 11-25-2004, 08:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

what about the Texas Tommy Joe Jax? The only TT I've ever seen of Jax was the one I owned, not that aren't others out there, but I've seen a couple of Pinkerton cards and the t210 only once.

Jay

I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, evil stuff. And I want in.

Old 11-25-2004, 08:09 AM
Administrator

OK, same question for the Texas Tommy Joe Jackson... Fair Price for one in EX+?

Old 11-25-2004, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

the next question is, type 2s are supposed to be harder than type 1s, but the one Hal pictured and mine are both type 2s, so who has a type 1 for comaprison?

Jay

I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, evil stuff. And I want in.

Old 11-25-2004, 08:43 AM
Administrator

And again, that is NOT my card (I WISH)... but I got the image off of BlackBetsy.com

Old 11-27-2004, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

Sorry I wasn't more specific in my 'splaining on that one.....I've had 25-30 of them in my collection over the years but no Joe Jacksons. They're hard to find anyway mounted for ANY player, much less Joe Jackson. Bryan Dec had a horizontal posed Chick Gandil I believe but sold it before I could get ahold of him. I've had Cobb and 5-6 different HOFers but none have sold for what a Jackson would sell for. I saw a Mathewson autographed on the back once that sold for LARGE coin.

Not driving any trucks......almost had to go to Canada to help out with a 1.5 day strike but that got called off.